Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,552
    Options

We should take it for granted that no life can be entirely free
    from vexations, trials, troubles, sorrows, and disappointments;
    but we should resolve that these things shall not be allowed to
    disturb our peace of mind, or to destroy our happiness.  It is as
    amazing as it is sad, that we go about largely burdening ourselves
    with strivings that are of no consequence, and miss the gladness
    and exhilaration of living.  No life is successful until it is
    radiant with happiness.

Orison Swett Marden
    The Joys of Living

• illinoislady
    Options

Nothing can produce so great a serenity of life as a mind free from guilt and kept untainted, not only from actions, but purposes that are wicked.  By this means the soul will be not only unpolluted but also undisturbed. The fountain will run clear and unsullied.

Plutarch

• illinoislady
    Options

People are ethical only when life, as such, is sacred to them, that
    of plants and animals as that of their fellow people, and when they
    devote themselves helpfully to all life that is in need of help.

Albert Schweitzer

• illinoislady
    Options

When we appreciate the true nature of self-esteem, we see that it is not competitive or comparative. It is not about making myself higher by making you lower. It has nothing to do with you. It is joy in my own being.     -Nathaniel Branden

• illinoislady
    Options

Giving love, attention, and respect to the individuals who share our lives and to the people who cross our paths by chance will smooth our own passage day by day. The effects of our goodness will often be felt quickly. A smile elicits a smile. Kind thoughts bless us as well as the receiver. Life events do come full circle.    -unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

When you are interested in other perspectives, it doesn’t imply, even slightly, that you’re advocating them. I certainly wouldn’t choose a punk rock lifestyle or suggest it to anyone else. At the same time, however, it’s really not my place to judge it, either.  One of the cardinal rules of joyful living is that judging others takes a great deal of energy and, without exception, pulls you away from where you want to be.

Richard Carlson

• illinoislady
    Options

Silence is the great teacher and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it.  There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence.

Deepak Chopra

• illinoislady
    Options

You can’t pursue happiness and catch it. Happiness comes upon you unawares while you are helping others. The philosophy of happiness is pointedly expressed in the old Hindu proverb, which reads: “Help thy brother’s boat across, and lo! thine own has reached the shore.” Happiness is like perfume—you can’t spray it on others without getting some on yourself.    -Wilferd A. Peterson

• illinoislady
    Options

Joy is what we are, not what we must get.  Joy is the realization that all we want or need in life has been etched into our souls.  Joy helps us see not what we are "going through," but what we are "growing to"--a greater sense of understanding, accomplishment, and enlightenment.  Joy reveals to us the calm at the end of the storm, the peace that surpasses the momentary happiness of pleasure.  If we keep our minds centered on joy, joy becomes a state of mind.     -Iyanla Vanzant

• illinoislady
    Options

If you send out goodness from yourself, or if you share that which is happy or good within you, it will all come back to you multiplied ten thousand times. In the kingdom of love there is no competition; there is no possessiveness or control. The more love you give away, the more love you will have.     -John O'Donohue

• illinoislady
    Options

When you plant a seed of love, it is you that blossoms.

Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati

• illinoislady
    Options

Enthusiasm is the thing which makes the world go round. Without its driving power, nothing worth doing has ever been done. Love, friendship, religion, altruism, devotion to career or hobby—all these, and most of the other good things of life, are forms of enthusiasm. Robert H. Schauffler

• illinoislady
    Options

Humanity’s attempts to override nature have separated us from our source and destroyed what can save us.  A camera can point to the glory of a pristine forest, but cannot create it.  No smartphone is smart enough to spin a planet into orbit.  God speaks to us daily, but we rarely take the time to listen.  Nature is my church.  When I walk in nature I know the Tao.  No building, altar, or ritual is necessary.  Human beings have created magnificent, awe-inspiring cathedrals, but none can surpass the wonder of a starry night.

Alan Cohen

• illinoislady
    Options

Whenever we defer happiness, we fail to recognize that happiness is a feeling we already have, that we can access at will. It is not contingent on outcomes. If you find yourself saying things like, “I’ll be happy when,” you are missing out. Happiness happens whenever you tap into your own naturally healthy psychological functioning. You can be happy right here, right now, if you choose to do so.    -Richard Carlson

• illinoislady
    Options

Deep within us all there is an amazing inner sanctuary of the soul, a holy place, a Divine Center, a speaking Voice. . . . Life from the Center is a life of unhurried peace and power. It is simple. It is serene. It is amazing. It is radiant.    -T.R. Kelly

• illinoislady
    Options

Even when walking in a party of three I can always be certain of learning from those I am with.  There will be good qualities that I can select for imitation and bad ones that will teach me what requires correction in myself.

Confucius

• illinoislady
    Options

Recently a neighbor of ours took his two small children to the mountains for
    a vacation.  The very first morning the children woke him at daybreak,
    clamoring to go exploring.  Stifling an impulse to send them back to bed, he
    struggled into his clothes and took them for a walk.  At the edge of a pond
    they stopped to rest, and while they were sitting there quietly, a doe and
    her fawn came down to drink.
       "I watched my youngsters' faces," he said, "and suddenly it was as if I
    were seeing and feeling everything for the first time:  the hush of the woods,
    the mist over the water, the grace and gentleness of those lovely creatures,
    the kinship of all living things.  It only lasted a few seconds, but the thought
    came to me that happiness isn't something you have to strive and struggle for.
    It's simply an awareness of the beauty and harmony of existence.  And I said
    to myself:  remember this moment, put it away carefully in your mind--because
    you may need to draw strength and comfort from it someday."  Giving his
    children a new experience, that man also opened a door for himself.

Arthur Gordon
    A Touch of Wonder

• illinoislady
    Options

It’s easy to feel motivated when we’re listening to an inspiring sermon, or the choir is praising God in song, but the real work begins when the temple doors close behind you. You must become the guardian of your thoughts and actions. It’s imperative that you surround yourself with positive people—those who affirm you and show by their words and deeds that they like you and believe in your dreams. Don’t even allow yourself to utter the words “I can’t.” Delete them from your vocabulary. And every time a negative thought comes into your mind, pluck it out, toss it away and replace it with a positive idea.    -Susan L. Taylor

• illinoislady
    Options

If we can forgive everyone, regardless of what he or she may have done, we nourish the soul and allow our whole being to feel good.  To hold a grudge against anyone is like carrying the devil on your shoulders.  It is our willingness to forgive and forget that casts away such a burden and brings light into our hearts, freeing us from many ill feelings against our fellow human beings.

Sydney Banks

• illinoislady
    Options

The awareness we experience in solitude is priceless for the peace
    it can give.  It is also the key to true loving in our relationships.  When
    we have a part of ourselves that is firm, confident, and alone, we
    don't need another person to fill us.  We know that we have private
    spaces full of goodness and self-worth, and we grant the same to those
    we love.  We do not try to pry into every corner of their lives or
    to fill the emptiness inside us with their presence.
    As always, look at the world around you.  The mountain is not restless in
    its aloneness.  The hawk tracing circles in the sky is not longing for union
    with the sun.  They exist in the perfect peace of an eternal present, and
    that is the peace that one finds only in solitude.  Find this peace in yourself,
    and you will never know another moment of loneliness in your life.

Kent Nerburn

• illinoislady
    Options

The world needs all of our power and love and energy, and each of us has something to give. The trick is to find it and use it, to find it and give it away, so there will always be more. We can be lights for each other, and through each other’s illumination we will see the way. Each of us is a seed, a silent promise, and it is always spring.    -Merle Shain

• illinoislady
    Options

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."

-- Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

• illinoislady
    Options

Intimacy does not mean that both people are perfect.  It doesn't
    even mean that one person is perfect.  It means that two people
    understand that we are all wounded and we are all here to be
    healed.  The key to empowerment in any area is understanding
    its purpose, and the purpose of intimacy is healing.

Marianne Williamson

• illinoislady
    Options

Chances for heroic giving are rare, yet every day there are opportunities to give a part of yourself to someone who needs it. It may be no more than a kind word or a letter written at the right time. The important thing about any gift is the amount of yourself you put into it. Arline Boucher and John Tehan

• illinoislady
    Options

Hope works in these ways: it looks for the good in people
    instead of harping on the worst; it discovers what can be done
    instead of grumbling about what cannot; it regards problems,
    large or small, as opportunities; it pushes ahead when it would
    be easy to quit; it "lights the candle" instead of "cursing the darkness."

unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

I will greet this day with love in my heart.

And how will I do this?  Henceforth will I look on all things with love and
    I will be born again.  I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will
    love the rain for it cleanses my spirit.  I will love the light for it shows me
    the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars.  I will
    welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness
    for it opens my soul.  I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due;
    yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge.

Og Mandino

• illinoislady
    Options

I wish you love, and strength, and faith, and wisdom, goods, gold enough to help some needy one. I wish you songs, but also blessed silence, and God’s sweet peace when every day is done.   -Dorothy Nell McDonald

• illinoislady
    Options

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.    -Marianne Williamson

• illinoislady
    Options

Try saying this silently to everyone and everything you see for thirty days and see what happens to your own soul: “I wish you happiness now and whatever will bring happiness to you in the future.” If we said it to the sky, we would have to stop polluting; if we said it when we see the ponds and lakes and streams, we would have to stop using them as garbage dumps and sewers; if we said it to small children we would have to stop abusing them, even in the name of training; if we said it to people, we would have to stop stoking the fires of enmity around us. Beauty and human warmth would take root in us like a clear, hot June day. We would change.   -Joan Chittister

• illinoislady
    Options

Whether it’s Mother Teresa’s acts of charity, Gandhi’s perseverance,
    or your aunt Betty’s calm demeanor, as long as you’re motivated to be
    better today than you were yesterday, it doesn’t matter who inspires you.

Timber Hawkeye