Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,552
    Options

Unfortunately, all is not beauty and peace.  I don't believe I've ever met a person who hasn't been challenged or wounded by something.  Difficulties present choices:  we can either waste away from our wounds or use them to grow our souls.  My husband, for example, is a survivor of the Second World War.  As a child, he suffered through six years of bombings, near-escapes, and concentration camps.  Part of his soul work has been the gradual transformation of this deep well of grief and pain.  As he heals himself, he also participates in healing that terrible idea of war in others.  I have always said that no one heals alone--we heal through and for one another.

Joan Borysenko

• illinoislady
    Options

There's an old saying that God made us in His image, and we've been trying to return the favor ever since.  People often view God in a human image. This God changes His mind, gets upset, answers some prayers but not others, loves some people but not others.  But even with that limited image, if we pray sincerely, we'll eventually realize that God is changeless. He's the same all the time because He's not in time--time is in Him.

Michael Beckwith

• illinoislady
    Options

I am often accused of being childish. I prefer to interpret that as child-like. I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things. I tend to exaggerate and fantasize and embellish. I still listen to instinctual urges. I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind. I never water my garden without soaking myself. It has been after such times of joy that I have achieved my greatest creativity and produced my best work. Leo Buscaglia

• illinoislady
    Options

We rise by raising others—and those who stoop above the fallen, stand erect.    -Robert G. Ingersoll

• illinoislady
    Options

If a child smiles, if an adult smiles, that is very important. If in our daily lives we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. If we really know how to live, what better way to start the day than with a smile? Our smile affirms our awareness and determination to live in peace and joy. The source of a true smile is an awakened mind.

Thich Nhat Hanh

• illinoislady
    edited July 2023
    Options

What reason do I need to celebrate life? A birthday, a wedding anniversary,

or a holiday are all reminders that there is something to celebrate. Yet every day can be a celebration of life. I celebrate life by praising God. Praise can be a quiet time of communion with God or a joyous hymn of thanksgiving to God. I celebrate by recognizing the life of God within others. We are all unique expressions of God's creativity, and I treat others with all the honor that I would great masterpieces, for indeed we are. I rejoice in every expression of life I perceive. The song of a bird, the beauty of a mountain, the fragrance of a flower, the softness of a kitten's fur all give me reasons to celebrate life. Unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more
    joy you can contain.
    Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was
    burned in the potter's oven?
    And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood
    that was hollowed with knives?
    When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you
    shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that
    is giving you joy.
    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you
    shall see that in truth you are weeping for that
    which has been your delight.

Khalil Gibran

• illinoislady
    Options

"If your parents ever measured you as a child, they had you stand against a wall, and made a little pencil mark on the wall to show your growth. They did not measure you against your brother, or the neighbor's kids, or kids on TV. When you measure your growth, make sure to only measure your today self by your past self. If you compare your relationships, your success, or your anything against anyone else, you are not being fair to you. Everyone has a different path, a different pace, and different challenges to face along the way."-- Doe Zantamata

• illinoislady
    Options

Inner peace is certainly the ultimate resource for those dealing with suffering on a daily basis. But this isn't something achieved by distancing yourself from the suffering around you. Inner peace is more a question of cultivating perspective, meaning, and wisdom even as life touches you with its pain. It is more a spiritual quality than a mental quality. Rachel Naomi Remen

• illinoislady
    Options

Joy is not in things; it is in us.    -Richard Wagner

• illinoislady
    Options

Meditation is not some strange technique that we have to learn with
    great effort and difficulty.  Whatever we accomplish in this world we
    accomplish through the power of concentration, which is nothing but
    meditation.  Above all, meditation stills the wandering mind
    and establishes us forever in a state of peace.

Muktananda

• illinoislady
    Options

A little faith goes a long way in clearing my mind, in restoring inner peace, in allowing me to function as a person who is capable of great things, for indeed I am. Faith in God in me and in others develops courage, patience, understanding, hope, and so much more. It strengthens me and every aspect of my life. Each thought or act of faith is like a single fiber that, when woven together with others, creates a lifeline that connects me to health, peace, prosperity, and great opportunities.    -unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of the nation.  We do not want riches but we do want to train our children right.  Riches would do us no good.  We could not take them with us to the other world. We do not want riches.  We want peace and love.

Red Cloud

• illinoislady
    Options

Buried deep in the maze of commonplace, the pearl of
    true happiness lies.  And those who rejoice in little things,
    find the pathway that leads to the prize.

Lucy M. Thompson

• illinoislady
    Options

Each of us makes the choice about how we feel, though it often seems

to be controlled by other people or events. We can alter our perception

.We can restore our balance. We can choose peace of mind. We can

choose the texture of a day. Each day seems to have a life of its own, but we are that life. We canchoose to change the texture at any point. Take a deep breath, stop fora cup of tea, smile at someone, think of something that brings you joy,plan a dream. . . . This minute, experience the part of the journey you arein now. Make this minute what you want for a lifetime. Alter the texture ofyour day in any way you choose, but recognize that the texture and the minute are yours. Jennifer James

• illinoislady
    Options

To honor and respect means to think of the land and water and plants and animals who live here as having a right equal to our own to be here. We are not the supreme and all-knowing beings, living at the top of the pinnacle of evolution, but in fact we are members of the sacred hoop of life, along with the trees and rocks, the coyotes and the eagles and fish and toads, that each fulfills its purpose. They each perform their given task in the sacred hoop, and we have one, too.    -Wolf Song

• illinoislady
    Options

Compassion is both teacher and student.
    When we show it, we teach it to others.
    When we feel it, we learn how it heals.

Leslie Levine

• illinoislady
    Options

To live is not merely to breathe, it is to act; it is to make use of our organs, senses, faculties, of all those parts of ourselves which give us the feeling of existence. The person who has lived the longest is not the one who has counted most years, but who has enjoyed life most.     -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

• illinoislady
    Options

We can cultivate an inner solitude and silence that sets us free
    from loneliness and fear.  Loneliness is inner emptiness.  Solitude
    is inner fulfillment.  Solitude is not first a place but a state of mind
    and heart.  There is a solitude of heart that can be maintained at
    all times.  Crowds or the lack of them have little to do with this inward
    attentiveness.  It is quite possible to be a desert hermit and never
    experience solitude.  But if we possess inward solitude we will not fear
    being alone, for we know that we are not alone.  Neither do we fear
    being with others, for they do not control us.  In the midst of noise
    and confusion we are settled into a deep inner silence.

Teresa of Avila

• illinoislady
    Options

Remember, if all life is sacred, then today is sacred. Ask yourself, What am I doing to feel joy today? A wonderful way to start the day is to bless it:Blessings on this day, may I make it special in some way.
    Blessings on my life, may I treat it with love and care.
    Blessings on all people, may I see the goodness in everyone.
    Blessings on nature, may I notice its beauty and wonder.
    Blessings on the truth, may it be my constant companion.
    -Charlotte Davis Kasl

• illinoislady
    Options

What happens to us on the journey of life is not nearly as important as how we handle what happens. Life sometimes takes unexpected twists and turns that can throw us off course for a time. We may have experienced an unhappy childhood in a broken home or with parents who were alcoholics. We may have been considered the "black sheep," the one who just never fit in with the others. Almost anyone can find reasons for not doing as well as he or she thinks they should have. The key to successful living, however, is to learn from our experiences, good and bad, and go on from there. If we choose, we can try to move forward and forge the kind of life we desire to live in spite of some of the falls we may have taken.

John Marks Templeton Worldwide Laws of Life

• illinoislady
    Options

Consider a jigsaw puzzle. Each piece has its place and no other piece can fit that place. . . . What is true for a puzzle is true for Reality, with one exception: there is no hand putting us in our place. We must do that for ourselves. We must discover our place and take it. And when we do this, we discover the integrity and meaning of the whole; we discover the divine energy that flows through all things and links each to the other and all to God.    -Rami M. Shapiro

• illinoislady
    Options

As I look back at the entire tapestry of my life, I can see from the perspective of the present moment that every aspect of my life was necessary and perfect.  Each step eventually led to a higher place, even though these steps often felt like obstacles or painful experiences.

Wayne Dyer

• illinoislady
    Options

Learn to get in touch with silence within yourself, and know that everything in this life has purpose.  There are no mistakes, no coincidences; all events are blessings given to us to learn from.

Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

• illinoislady
    Options

An all-time favorite:

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.

.Dinah Maria Mulock Craik

• illinoislady
    Options

I believe in the immortality of the soul, not in the sense in which
    I accept the demonstrable truths of science, but as
    a supreme act of faith in the reasonableness of God's work.

John Fiske

• illinoislady
    Options

Can we recognize our oneness, though?  And what will happen if we
    not only start to see that we are connected to the other human beings
    in our lives, but also start to live as if that were true?  Would we
    become more compassionate if we were to recognize the same hopes
    and dreams that we have, there in someone else?  Would we be able
    to help someone else feel more hope in their lives?  Would we feel
    more at home and at peace in our own places in this world if we were
    to keep in mind that we are an important part of the human race, and
    that we have many chances every day to improve the lot of humanity
    by improving the life of a fellow human being, even in tiny ways?

tom walsh

• illinoislady
    Options

We can do anything for one day. So, just for today, let us be unafraid of life, unafraid of death which is the shadow of life; unafraid to be happy, to enjoy the beautiful, to believe the best. . . . Just for today, let us be agreeable, responsive, cheerful, charitable; be our best , dress our best, walk softly, praise people for what they do, not criticize them for what they cannot do. And if we find fault, let us forgive and forget it. -Joseph Fort Newton

• illinoislady
    Options

The highest reward for people's
    toil is not what they get for it
    but what they become by it.

John Ruskin

• illinoislady
    Options

The word "appreciation" means to be thankful and express
    admiration, approval, or gratitude.  It also means to grow or