Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Want To Play A Word Game

Options

Comments

• mom2bill
    mom2bill Member Posts: 7,449
    edited November 2022
    Options

I find that sticking to a diet is hardest when I’m gathering with family and friends. Those biscuits would have been impossible to resist! The next big cheat day is going to be Thanksgiving. I’m not a picky EATER, and love all of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes except cranberry sauce.

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,219
    edited November 2022
    Options

Oh yes, there are many things on the Thanksgiving table that I love! ❤️ And it's so GREAT to be able to share the meal with family and friends.

• mom2bill
    edited November 2022
    Options

Something that is hard for me on Thanksgiving is staying away from the appetizer table. If I don't, I tend to GRAZE all day while watching the football games. When it's time for dinner, I'm not very hungry!

• zogo
    edited November 2022
    Options

I love appetizers. Probably even more than meals. 😋 I will definitely be making deviled eggs next week. Getting EAGER for Thanksgiving.

• mom2bill
    edited November 2022
    Options

When my large family gets together to celebrate the holidays, everyone prepares a dish. This makes it easier on everyone. My assigned Thanksgiving dish is typically sweet potatoes as I found a recipe several years ago that everyone enjoys. It’s hard to believe that after next week it will be time to switch GEARS and start getting ready for Christmas! 🎅

• zogo
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm watching the snow outside right now. Don't think I'm ready for winter and cold just yet! As Christmas NEARS, I'm looking forward to all the festive lights.

But, the Xmas advertising and movies starting back before Halloween was a bit much this year.

• mom2bill
    edited November 2022
    Options

Believe it or not, I have never seen snow falling, although I have seen snow on the ground. It’s 68 degrees today, with a Thanksgiving forecast of 72 degrees. So my “winter” experience is much different than yours! While I’m not sure I could handle the snow, it hardly RAINS here anymore, which we desperately need.

We typically hang Christmas lights on our house the weekend after Thanksgiving to get as much mileage as possible out of them. Seeing all of the lights is one of the things I enjoy the most during the holiday season. (I’m not a big fan of having to hang the lights and then take them down, however.)

• zogo
    edited November 2022
    Options

You've never seen snow falling? wow, I can't imagine that...as I've seen so much! Today there was snow falling in the yard, but the sun was shining in too. That is always a cool look. I call it sun snow.

Before long, they will be setting up ice RINKS for skating. I haven't done that for many years. And my skates probably don't fit anymore. But it was always fun!

• mom2bill
    edited November 2022
    Options

While I’d like to see it snow at some point in my life, driving on snowy roads RANKS somewhere near the bottom of the list of things I’d like to experience. I suppose those of you who grew up with snow get used to going out in it.

I did enjoy ice skating when I was growing up, but our ice rinks were all indoors. Several years ago a company set up an outdoor skating rink for a few weeks right by the beach. We took our son there to try it ou. It was kind of cool, ice skating with an ocean view!

• zogo
    edited November 2022
    Options

Just thinking about the beach is a STARK reminder that we need to plan a vacation somewhere South during what is supposed to be a long cold winter!

• mom2bill
    edited November 2022
    Options

I enjoy taking walks along the beach. Watching the surfers is fun, although a recent SHARK sighting has kept all but the most daring out of the water!

• zogo
    edited November 2022
    Options

Well, let's not go in the ocean then!!! Maybe our hotel has a hot tub? We could go SHARE some warm relaxation and a frosty drink!

• mom2bill
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yes, the hotel has a hot tub. We can relax and RAISE a glass to toast the upcoming holidays.

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

That sounds great....Cheers!! After this, we can RINSE off and head to the hotel lobby. I think I hear live music playing.

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

I heard the sound of a SNARE drum on our way to the hot tub, so there is definitely live music playing. I love listening to live music, but unfortunately the number of venues in my area that have live performances has decreased. It will be a real treat to listen to some great music tonight.

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Live music RANKS at the top of my list of things to do, too! We go see live music anywhere from 2-6 times a week. I sure was glad when covid restrictions lightened up. First time we saw a band several months into the pandemic, I remember saying "It's like medicine for the soul". It was a guy that bought a snowmobile trailer in the summer and put a band on it and drove it around neighborhoods. People came running out of their houses to hear! Then he bought a little pontoon boat (a crappy one at that) but put a band on it and had people rent or bring kayaks to follow it up and down the Milwaukee River and be socially distanced. Usually 50-100 kayaks are following. Now my husband captains the boat and also does sound. Different band every Wednesday night all summer.

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

What a creative way to bring live music back to the community! Listening to live music while being outdoors combines two of my favorite things. Even though the weather is now colder, it sounds like you still have many opportunities to attend performances. It’s great that you don’t have to wait until summer for them to CRANK up the music again!

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Well, let's go find that music and maybe even get a SNACK! I could go for some fresh seafood since we are here at the beach.

If you have facebook, here is a video of the Funktoon on the river.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=463881141370267

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

I could eat! I’ve heard great things about the restaurant here. It seems the only thing this hotel LACKS is a good espresso bar, although if I drink coffee this late I’ll be up all night.

The Funktoon looks like a lot of fun, but I’m not sure you’d get me in a kayak anymore 🙂

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Ooo I love a good espresso bar. The ones in Italy were amazing! I can drink it BLACK, but I do like cream in my daily coffee.

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

I generally drink my coffee black, but I’ll sometimes add some oat or almond milk. Too much black coffee occasionally irritates my stomach. CHALK that up to getting older, I guess. If we’re thinking about espresso, I might get mine poured over some vanilla gelato!

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Mmm, that gelato with coffee sounds so good. I'd have to give myself some SLACK on carb counting that day! It would definitely kick me out of ketosis. But, it's nice to travel with you and explore the yummy foods and sights.

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

Affogatos will definitely ruin your diet as a little pirouette cookie is stuck into the gelato as a finishing touch! A little Italian cafe not far from here makes these, and they are a favorite guilty pleasure for many. The cafe owners take a lot of FLACK when they happen to run out of gelato.

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Let's take our coffees and go for a walk on the beach. If we are lucky, maybe we will see a FLOCK of seagulls.

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

Heading down to the beach sounds great. After our walk, maybewe can check out some of the cute shops that are just a BLOCK away from the water.

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Shopping is always fun! And they have such cute gifts to buy for all those not lucky enough to be here with us. If we are going to make our brunch reservations, we better keep an eye on the CLOCK though. Wouldn't want to miss another great meal.

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

Eating good food is always a priority when on vacation! However, I have really been throwing caution to the wind and straying from my usual diet on this trip. If I keep this up I’ll have to put LOCKS on my refrigerator and cabinet doors when I get home!

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Yes, in real life I would have to SCOLD myself for all this cheating. I'm usually pretty good at following a ketogenic way of eating. Have been doing it for years. But the holidays, and these fancy trips we get to go on here, make it hard to stay faithful. We're going to a high tea on Friday and I'm sure the finger sandwiches and petit fours will be too much to pass up!

• mom2bill
    edited December 2022
    Options

I admire your commitment to the ketogenic diet. But, high tea is certainly an occasion that calls for a little cheating. After the holidays and our fancy trips have come to an end, it will be time to leave the rich foods and alcohol behind and return to drinking our diet COLAS. (Although I don’t actually drink soda anymore)

• zogo
    edited December 2022
    Options

The holidays are certainly full of lots of good choices. Mmmm, going to make our traditional Waldorf Red Cake for Xmas. When we take off on our next trip to a beach or someplace fun, we should make sure to eat some LOCAL foods. Where should we go in the new year?