Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• jeriss
    jeriss Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hey Rogram,

Thank you so much for your post...thanks to all of you and God Bless! I am new to the site and newly diagnosed with stage 1, grade 3, triple negative bc, my tumor was 1.1 cm., and I had 1/14 node involvement.  I had a lumpectomy on June 23 and I am due to start chemo on July 31st. I had posted on another forum of TN's and I asked if anyone was receiving TC because it appeared that everyone was receiving AC/T. I look forward to sharing with you as well as all the ladies on this site. My prayers are with you...be strong and courageous. I pray that I will continue to feel this way when I start my TC treatments. It sounds like you are tolerating the treatment with minimal SE's. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Jeris

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hello Ladies.. I hope that everyone is doing well. Just an update on the triple neg status. I have since found out that I tested postive for the BRCA1 gene. They are recommending a bilat-myst and the ooph. It was alot to swallow however I am still chosing to do what is necessary to live. I have just finished my 4th tc treatment today. This chemo comb. has not been to bad to handle on most day. I find that I am down in the bed asleep for at least 2 days. Not always the 1st day because I trying to live a normal life and participate in the activities that are important. I am able to go for a day or two then down for the count for 2. I will complete my treatment September 4th(6 rounds). I would then like to wait until December to have my bilatal. I am skipping the radation. Does anyone know if it is okay to wait awhile. The cancer was removed with the 2 lumpectomy surgeries? Stay encouraged Jeris and all!!!

• TripleNeg
    TripleNeg Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2008
    Options

Ask-An-Expert was on this website on the 18th talking about Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Please browse the transcript from the conference and see what the latest research has to offer us. God is able, stephanie

I created a hyperlink above but the url is below if you need it. 

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/planning/ask_expert/2008_07/

• jeriss
    jeriss Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hey Ro...hope that's ok to call you that,

Hang in there! My friend's sister just completed her reconstruction and she loves it! You are going to live, and be beautiful, and strong...and have perky you know what!

Thank you so much for your encouragement, it means a lot. Please let us know how everything goes. I cannot speak for everyone, but I get encouraged and inspired from your updates.

God Bless,

Jeris

• AnnNYC
    AnnNYC Member Posts: 236
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bumping up to the front page.

• HensonChi
    HensonChi Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2008
    Options

bump

• Roya
    Roya Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2008
    Options

I was diagnosed in May and had a left lumpectomy June 20.  I actually had 2 surgeries at the same time.  First I had my breast implants removed.  After that they did the left lumpectomy and sentinal node.  So far I have not read of anyone here on theis site that had implants removed, seems like so many are having them put in as reconstruction.  I wish there were others that I could relate to that had implants before they were diagnosed, though I am grateful for the support that I am finding here.

After surgery I was told that I was stage 2, gr3, node neg, triple neg.  I will have a port placed 8/5 and will begin chemo 8/8.  My Oncologist advised chemo even though I had an early diagnosis.  She said that even though my nodes were neg and margins clean, there could be just one tiny microcopic cancer cell lurking that could cause a recurrance later.  Chemo is my ' insurance' and assurance that this will not happen. I dread the side effects, etc but I believe that in the long run, this is a small price to pay.

I have already explained what to expect to my kids (4,14,&17) and my DH is very supportive.  Most important to me is my faith in God.

• rogam
    edited August 2008
    Options

Hello Ladies I hope all is well with you guys. This has been a week where I have been in the curve. I have seen this thing straight on some many days just trusting and believing God for his perfect healing. I have 2 more treatments left and hopefully the additional surgeries will be done by the end of the year. Stay encouraged Ladies. Thanks for all of the support..

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2008
    Options

Good to see you, Ro. Glad you are continueing to stay encouraged, my friend. Keep looking up!

• Roya
    edited August 2008
    Options

Rogam, just 2 more treatments? What a blessing!!!!!!

• Shirlann
    Shirlann Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2008
    Options

Hi everyone, I am almost 10 years post treatment and I have a sore rib.  But that is all.  I am a Triple Negative with a diagnosis of Medullary Breast Cancer.  A small sub-type only 5% of BC's are this type. I was also stage 4 but my cancer was only 7mm.

Back then, they did not know much about Triple Negs, so I only had lumpectomy and rads.  Now, I understand, they like to have all Triple Negs do chemo.

Hope this helps someone.

Hugs, Shirlann 

• rogam
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hello Ladies. I just finished treatment number 5. One more to go. I just want to encourage those that are new to this thing that you can and will make it. Smile I thought back to  how my family and I felt after finding out that I would have to do chemo. Sad is the word. But I know that God has a plan and that plan is to give us peace as we journey thru b/c. I believe that attitude is everything and I chose to stay positive no matter what...Please stay encouraged if anyone needs to talk email me your number and I will be more than happy to listen. I have found comfort in being able to call friend and other family members that are surviors! Love ya all. Holla---Ro
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2008
    Options

Whoo-Hoo, Ro! You are seeing the finish line as far as chemo is concerned. So admire your strength and attitude, girl! Continue kicking cancer in the hiney...

• Yogi70
    Yogi70 Member Posts: 214
    edited August 2008
    Options

Good for you Rogam!!!  I have 2 more taxol myself and then onto rads.

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2008
    Options

Afternoon everyone,

Newbie to Cancer and hereSmile

I'm new to this forum  but so glad to  be here. I am in the midst of finding a new Oncologist after completing one AC  treatment. My old doc illegally charged me extra co-pay to help pay for my chemo because it's too  expensive. Yes, I was scared a paid him. Thank goodness I was informed by Medicare and my Medicare Advantage PPO how illegal his request was or I would have just gone on. He also humiliated and belittled Medicare and me for some reason. Anyway, I went back and got some of my money back.

My breast surgeon told me last Thursday and  could wait for  my second chemo. I have an appointment with another doc October 7th. I can't go back to him of course. I think he's given me PTSD since I dreamed he  was chasing me a few nights ago.

Lordy!

What's up with  some docs I don't know. I am off crowds for a while as he never gave me Nelasta/Neupogen nor did he schedule it.?? So far so good. I am RN so if I  spike I will go to hospital. ...

Thanks for being here... I am on the Sept chemo list but I can't continue until October. My ex dropped my health insurance so my Medicare costs are awful I've always been terrified of HMO's ...seen too much... but I got one...a  Medicare Advantage PPO for financial survival and then comes this crazy Oncologist. God is good though. My breast surgeon is asking Medicare for a  continuance to place my port for my AC/Taxol therapy.

I'm glad to see a hair forum here. One of my girlfriends thinks it's shallow and silly to worry over my hair...I need to do that so thank goodness I can do it with my other friends...she never liked her hair...and now I can come here too and to the Sept chemo group.

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hey, Bar 62 and welcome. Glad you found us, but sorry to hear about your jacka$$ of an onc. Gheesh...

The girlfriend of yours who thinks it's silly and shallow to worry about hair obviously has never had to worry about loosing her's. Why not invite her to shave it off with you so you can experience the "shallowness" together?!? 

• bar62
    edited September 2008
    Options

Felicia, you are wonderful. Sometimes people say the craziest things...eh?

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hey, Bar, is your avatar Japanese kanji?

• bar62
    edited September 2008
    Options

Felicia,

I  found these icons on a Live Journal site, fell in love with them and snagged a few for my journal and this forum...your  icon rocks. Site below...enjoy.

http://community.livejournal.com/icons_inabottle/72476.html

• Roya
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Treatment number 4 is over with. Now halfway done!!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2008
    Options

Whoo-Hoo! Tossing confetti in the air and high-fivin' my computer screen for you, Roya!

Bar, I'm actually thinking about asking a graphic artist I know to paint her (my avatar alter ego) brown, lol. I'm a karate girl eight months away from testing for my black belt. Started training during radiation (probably not the best time, but...) because it helped me feel like I had control over SOMEthing. Plus they let us hit stuff and scream really loud and no one ever said "Shhhh!!!" Cheaper than therapy, actually. My style is an Americanized version of Japanese Goju-Ryu, which is why I asked you about the kanji in your avatar. I'm heading over to check that site in a few... 

• rogam
    edited September 2008
    Options
     CSmilengrats!!! It will be over before you know it. Keep the faith and know that God will never let you down.
  • nowheregirl
    nowheregirl Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2008
    Options

Hey Felicia,

You should know I can help you with Kanji's anytime you want. I have been using them for decades like every minute. Feel free to ask me anything and I am a graphic designer too!

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2008
    Options

Aww, Fumi - you are oh, so gracious as usual - and that's one of the many reasons we love ya so much! How've you been, btw?!?

I'll definitely need your help soon as I want to get a (small) tattoo after I test. I think I want a pink ribbon and a black belt together somehow with the word "courage" in Japanese. I've got lots of time to think about it, but I'll be pm'ing you, my dear...

Say hello to "tomorrow" for me, lol...

• TripleNeg
    TripleNeg Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2009
    Options

Anyon else here triple negative and having good results with chemo? God is able, stephanie

• KimInCali
    KimInCali Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi I am a 50 year old AfrAm woman with triple negative.  I consider myself a bc WARRIOR (not survivor) - I keep fighting the fight.  I am on my second diagnosis and this tumor is in my sterum (boney area between breast) and into left breast tissue.   I had several different chemos but the chemos would only control and shrink the tumor, not kill it.  Then I had radiation (second time) which really zapped the tumor.  I am having pain in the breast area again so I am going for a PET scan next week to see if it is scar tissue related or the tumor is growing again.  Pray for me.

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi KimimCali,

Sorry to have to meet this way--but glad you found us.

Much support here!!!!

Praying for you---Keep us posted---Keep Fighting WARRIOR---I like that!!!!

Take Care of you.

Linda C.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2009
    Options

So glad to have found these forums. Thanks for sharing so openly. Just diagnosed 3/16/09. Underwent bil. mastectomies yesterday.  Am awaiting the final path results. So glad to hear that there are so many prayer warriors and positive people on the AA forums. I lost one of my best friends to BC 4 years ago (age 39 after 5 years of battle). She was so awesome and had such healthy habits. I thought for sure that heart disease would be my battle. What a wake up call this has been. Sorry to be here under these circumstances but so glad to see that as usual We are strong and joining each other in this Fight for life. God's Blessings to all of you. Thanks again for sharing this.

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Indomitable1

I am glad you found these forums too.

The ladies share a lot of information here---I am always learning all the time.

Hang in there and keep us posted.   Prayers for your final "path results".

I am sorry to hear  the loss of your best friend.

I thought that I would have some CA like ovarian, as I always seem to have something wrong there,

it seemed there were complications after a tub-ligation I had after the last baby---a pain in my left ovary for years!!!!   21  years!!!  Finally they said it was scar tissue---never nothing done about it, I have gone through so much other stuff, I rarely feel that pain--Baby is 31 nowSmile, and then the Breast Cancer showed up , I was 51 years old---no one in my family has had it.  So a journey it has been--but I have been Blessed!!!!

Take care.

Linda C

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2009
    Options

Just got path report back today.