Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• pinkpower78
    pinkpower78 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Options

My name is pinkpower78 and I am 34 years old. I am an African American single mother of two children; 11 and 13 and I am the youngest child of 8. My journey started just a few months ago in August 2012, when I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Grade 3 Triple Negative Breast Cancer, also invasive ductal carcinoma? My world, as I knew it, was over! I initially discovered the small knot back in March 2012 but circumstances prolonged my capability to get to the doctor. I relocated from Raleigh, NC to Columbus, OH after living there for 7 years. I had previously lived in Columbus for 26 years. After a failed business deal gone bad and the fact that I lived with my parents and they had filed bankruptcy and were moving back to Indiana, I stepped out on faith and moved too. I, my kids and my kid’s father moved in with my sister, her husband and their 3 kids. After a month, in April 2012; we all became homeless! My sister apparently was not using the money that I and my kid’s father were giving her to pay the rent. We all went to the YWCA homeless shelter. Because I was in between jobs and had limited funds, I could not get healthcare; hence, I could not get to the doctor to see about this knot that was now twice the size. Because my sister was evicted while I was at work, all of my things; including myself and my kid’s social security cards and birth certificates; were set outside and lost!! Because of this reason, I could not go to social services to try and get help because I had no identification. The shelter helped me get the birth certificates and social security cards, which came a month later. Moving right along, myself, my kids and my kids dad got on our feet; and with the help of the YWCA were able to secure a low income apartment, we were thrilled! With us both working, things started to get better in April 2012. In July 2012 I finally got my Medicaid card in the mail and immediately scheduled an appointment with my family doctor. 2 days before my scheduled appointment, I ended up in the ER due to severe pain in my breast. I was immediately referred for a mammogram. On August 2, 2012; the day after my oldest child became a teenager, I got the disturbing news of my mammogram results. I have since then had emergency surgery for a port and have had 3 rounds of chemotherapy. My first round of chemo was September 19th 2012; 8 days before my 34th birthday. My kid's father left and abandoned us the day before chemo started; stating that he was not ready to deal with any cancer. After my second round of chemo on October 3rd 2012, by that weekend; around October 7th 2012 I removed my head scarf to discover that all; I mean ALL of my hair was in my scarf and not on my head! Even though the oncology nurses had warned me of such, I was still devastated! Because I was not able to work anymore due to the hectic chemo schedule and the sickness that lasted for days after, I was threatened with eviction. With no money and no help in sight, my 2 children and I were forced to move in with my parents. I was very thankful for that; seeing that I was just homeless months prior. The problem was they lived in Indiana and they had a small 2 bedroom apartment. So the guilt of having to move my children now for the 3rd time this year and being crammed into one room left me feeling hopeless! Today; November 2012, I am happy to say that I have food and shelter and support from my parents and I have began chemo treatments here in Indiana. The enormous mass has shrunk a bit and I am treading along on this journey. My oncologist was concerned that the tumor was not shrinking quickly enough and referred me to a breast surgeon. I met with her last week and she suggested a single radical mastectomy, it is scheduled for next week on Thanksgiving. I am soooo nervous and anxious because she said that one possibly two of my lymph nodes are swollen and that may indicate involvement. In addition to that, my hemoglobin is 7.9 and I may have to have a blood transfusion on Monday if it hasn’t gone up to at least 10. Has anyone out there had a blood transfusion or a mastectomy?  So sorry for writing a book but I am in such a panic for a number of reasons! I always bragged to people that I have never been in a physical fight in all my life but I tell ya I am in the fight of my life!!!! I have to survive to be here for my kids! I just need encouragement! I am praying for us all that a cure will be found!!!

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2012
    Options

MrsAbsolutely & PinkPower-So sorry that I haven't been on this site more frequently. I am now 3.5 years out from diagnosis and 3 years out from completion of Chemo for TNBC. I know things seem bleak but GOD IS ABLE as Stephanie (TripleNeg) the founder of this thread always stated. Prayer is definitely a must and I know that those of us who have gone thru this previously on this thread, keep each other and all the newly diagnosed ladies lifted up. So please know that you have been covered.

Yes, life and all its other extenuating circumstances goes on even while you go through but you can do all things through Christ which strengthens you.

Hang in there-being steadfast and unmoveable. Use the discussion boards to ask questions, gain knowledge, and realize that you are not alone. Check out the chemo threads for the month that you started where you'll meet women in the same stage of treatment as you.

God Bless and keep you.

Indi

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2012
    Options

Happy Holidays! 

Hope everyone is in good spirits as it has been some time since logging into this site.  Life's energy has kept me moving and shaking.  I'm being checked every 6 mos now and God is Able to keep me moving. 

To those going through something right now...You will Get Through!!  Take one day at a time and talk to God.  Let him guide you through and be at peace so you don't stress yourself more than you have to.  It may be a long road for some, but know that someone is Praying for you and keeping you in Prayer.  Most importantly keep up the good fight and understand your prognosis.  Ask many questions as this will help in your fight.

Take Care~

DCIS-MI (ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion)
    Dx 3/25/2009, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2012
    Options

Pink Power stay the course..I am glad to hear that things are looking up. I pray the sugery went well. Please give a praise report when you can.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi friends.  I've been off the boards for several months but did miss you all.  Praying that everyone who has gone/is going through treatments are faring well.  I am a little over 4 years from Dx and all continues to be well.  Let's all try and check in occasionally to let others know we care.

Blessings.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hanging in there and I hope all is well with everyone. I check occassionally as well. Life does start to go on regardless of all the things that are surrounding us.

Stay blessed everyone, and I am ready for spring!Kiss

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hello to all my friends,

I have missed you all greatly, and keep this group in my prayers.

I am doing well and can't complain.

November 17th 2012  I'm a 14 survivor and Thank God everyday.  Since I can't remember the last time I was on--- Jan 3, 2102, after a Pet scan. it showed neg for any Cancer.  I have been beside myself with joy!!!!!  Ok, I still have Herceptin once every 3 weeks , Dr wants that I be on it as long as my body tolerates it as a Maintance Med.  I am ok and pray one day I won,t have to do this.

I hope that all of you are doing at best as can be.  For all the new people i have not met,

one day I hope to be on again, as I have had lots to share and miss supporting anyone.

Pull me up if they still have me in and check some of my postsSmile

Patoo, Indomitable, Rogam and anyone I didn't name----Stay Blessed and keep on keeping on.   Same for all of you on this journey!!!

I must go now, til next time!

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi iLinda, good to see your post.  You too Fighter_34.  Even though we don't get here often it is still nice to have everyone post once in a while.  It's like an extra treat. 

All is well with me; I am truly blessed.

Everyone, will keep you in my prayers. 

• rogam
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hello Ladies. Patoo, ILinda and all others.. I am doing very well. I just realized I had not been here in quite some time. I must do better on the check in process. I pray for continued healing...Take care everyone!

• patoo
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi rogam, nice to have you drop by.  I have gotten back into the habit of coming on at least a few times a week but don't stay like I used to.  Happy to hear you are doing okay.

Everyone else, big hugs and HI!

• rogam
    edited May 2013
    Options

Patoo..lol that was quick :). Yes I was just thinking about my reconstruction which was 2 years ago this same time and checked in.. I am glad you are doing well. Take care.

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I am at the library this nice summer day and one reason to visit is to stop in and visit with you all.  I do hope everyone is doing as well as can be.  Me?  I am good all considering, not a lot to whine about.  I am still getting Herceptin once every three weeks and  I am doing well with it.  Had an ugly case of Shingles right after my Birthday, I bet I get the shot when the year is up, I don't wish this on anyone, I survived, along with an ugly stomach flu I believe I got in the Drs office (lost 13 pounds in 3-4 days)  not to worry it was water and it is backCry, yep I am my ususal thick lil self!

I have this group in my prayers, always wishing the best for you all.

Everyone take care til the next time.

Linda C

• patoo
    edited August 2013
    Options

iLinda, Hi.  Good to see you here.  It's nice that every once in a while we check in and let everyone know all is well, or relatively so.  Life has it's challenges but we are alive and God is good.  Take care everyone.

• Fighter_34
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies (waving my hands!)....

Still out here hanging on. I have no complaints can you believe that??? Prior to cancer I had a laundry list of complaints. Now I am just grateful.

• patoo
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Fighter, that is one of the 'good' SE's of BC!  Our perspective changes, for the better. 

• chattipatti
    chattipatti Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hello,

Checking to c if anyone is still out there

• macyhen111
    macyhen111 Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi chatti. This is my first time on this board because it seems not to many people post here. I would love to see more of us on here to discuss our experiences on our BC journeys.

• chattipatti
    chattipatti Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2013
    Options

Yes I would also since the survival rate for black women is not as high as other races. I was shocked when I read an article with the five yr survival rate

• macyhen111
    edited August 2013
    Options

I would love to talk to others like us to discuss what is going on in our lives. I have been on these boards since I was dx last year. All the ladies I have met are so nice and much more knowledgeable on this subject. I have learned a lot from them. It's wonderful to have somewhere to come if you have worries, questions etc.

• patoo
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi chatti and macy.  Welcome.  You are correct that this board is light.  We check in with just occasionally to say hello.  Yes we may have some issues unique to us but BC does not choose according to race and much of the information elsewhere, as you probably have found, relates to all of us.  If you have any specific questions please feel free to post here (it will pop up on my favorites) or PM me (which will send me an email).

chatti, what was the 5-year survival article you read?  Can you post a link or direct me where to find it?  I reach 5 years in October. 

I'm glad you both found BCo as it is a wealth of information that helps to keep us (a little more) sane.

• macyhen111
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi patoo !!! I am a Stage 4 survivor, in remission for a month and half. I feel great and am enjoying life. At first I was devastated with my dx but I have come to accept it. God is so Good!!! No matter where this journey takes me I know that God does not make mistakes, and I am alright.

• patoo
    edited August 2013
    Options

Yes, we serve an AWESOME God and He gets us through the narrowest of journeys.  Wonderful to hear you are in remission!

• macyhen111
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks patoo. I am a lil scared, my mo took me off of chemo and I am now taking Femara with monthly Zometa infusions. I have been so used to chemo that it feels like I'm going through some kind of withdrawal. I'm happy I am in remission but scared that it is going to come back. My family is rejoicing and I'm moping around. I wonder is it normal to feel this way or am I crazy lol!

• Fighter_34
    edited September 2013
    Options

The 5 year survival rate for African American does worry me. Those numbers almost paralyzed me in the beginning, but I am 3 years out now. I say a prayer and I just keep on living. 

• patoo
    edited September 2013
    Options

macyhen, yes, it is normal to be frightened, you are not crazy.  Over time it should become easier although it never goes away entirely.   Do as much as you can in terms of learning about nutrition and eating better and, so very, very important, is exercise.  Not only is exercise one of the factors in staving off recurrence but the endorphins produced by exercise improves our mood to fight off the depression.  The exercise does not have to be anything over-the-top; a 30 minute walk each day works wonders.  Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing.

chattipatti - thanks for the link. 

fighter_34 - we can do nothing more so may as well pray and live.

Night my sisters!

• macyhen111
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks patoo, I have started a water aerobics class 3 times a week, 45 minute sessions. I gained so much weight while on chemo and steroids that it aggravated the arthritis in my back. So I have to do something. I am also trying to eat better. I'm so happy to have found this site :-).

• patoo
    edited September 2013
    Options

I love water aerobics.  That and walking are my favorites.  I tried running but have issues with my hip so just walking now.  So many gain weight on this journey.  Just do what you can.  Don't think of it as trying to lose weight but trying to stay healthy.  If you want, join us on the 'Let's Post our Daily Exercise' thread (where I post, well, almost daily or at least 2x/week).  It's a great motivating thread and there are all levels on there from me who needs to do more to others who are over-the-top.

Eating is also a weak point for me.  I can tell others to do it but myself - HA!

• macyhen111
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks for the exercise thread patoo, I will check it out.

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hello Everyone...It's been a long long time since I been on.