Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited August 2009

Hi Jane,

I have just looked up a couple of examples of stellate and it means star like as Spring has said. I saw one article that said most stellate masses are beneign. Try not to think the worst as there really are many explanations for what is happening, we just can't think of them. I am sure your oncol will have all the answers tomorrow when you see him. Keep us posted, you are in our thoughts.

Take care

Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited August 2009

Jane....Dr. Google will drive you crazy!  Trust me I know......

hugssss sweetie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009

Oh Jane,

I am sitting here thinking the best best best as hard as I can. I don't know how to advise about telling your DH and sons, and your party!!!

Part of me says just say a little, you're getting another test, etc. But then part of me know this is a burden you carry around, and maybe sharing it with DH at least may give you some relief?  There are no rules - you are a very smart and thoughtful lady... do what feels right. 

Can they do a PET scan over the weekend? I've had MRI's done on Saturday and Sunday - I imagine the machine is so dag gone expensive they keep it whirring 24/7! Don't know about PETs though. 

Dear God, if there is something brewing on our Jane, please reach down right now and clear it !!! AMEN!

Spring.

PS Genia, you've had a PET before, and someone I know is to have one. What is involved? Is it a contrast drink or infusion and sort of like a CT scan? Do tell.

• Genia
    edited August 2009

Beverly....the PET scan is done after a radioactive tracer is injected into your veins.  You have to fast before the test because the tracer is mixed with a sugar and the cancer cells absorb the sugar faster than the rest of the body does.  I think I had to wait an hour after injected for it to distribute throughout my body.  You can't move much because they don't want you moving muscles because the tracer could read a false positive.  So ya just kind of hang out and wait......the test itself last about 45 mins to an hour.  The hardest part was....I couldn't move at all.  Ya have to lay there perfectly still.  Of course my nose kept itching......lol.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited August 2009

I had a Pet scan recently and I got to leave the hospital after I was injected and come back 3 hours later for the scan. I had my arms tied to my sides because the table was very narrow.

I got a call from the hospital today to schedule my breast MRI...finally! It is scheduled for 8/24, right after I get back from Montana. I already have an appt with my onc on 8/31 to get my port flushed, so I guess I'll get the results then.

Thinking positive for Jane and me...

hugs Kiss

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009

Juli, are you sure you had the PET and not a bone scan?  For the bone scan, you get to leave for a few hours and come back.  I mix up the tests all the time.

My PET was similar to Genia's.  45 mins after the injection, you go into a sort of CT scan.  I would doubt that you could get one over the weekend.  They are very expensive, but not very available.  Ours is in a mobile semi and visits different hospitals on different days. You do have to lay still, and they wanted my arms above my head.  Last time I will ever do that as the last time almost killed me after having had my mastectomy.

Jane, did your onc do a tumor marker blood test by chance?  There are multiple possibilities of course.  Not sure if this will help, but when I get in these situations I just accept there is nothing more I can know at the moment, and that I will have plenty of time for falling apart if it should come back bad.  I would just enjoy the time with your family knowing that at this moment, you do not have any additional diagnosis.  Easier said than done, I know, but I forced myself in these situations.

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2009

{{{{{{{{{Oh Jane}}}}}}}}...I am so  so sorry...going to take time now go to bed, read and concentrate on you being well...and Callie of course.

My doc scared the h*ll out of me today...calf pain and swollen lower legs made her send me off to have a Doppler study and Ultrasound of both lower extremities... so far so good says the doc there and the tech...now I have to wait for the final  word from my  Medical Oncologist. had a post flush...and will have Bone Density 8/25 and take out  my port

Jane, please know you have all my love...God's blessings to you. No Deep Vein Thrombosis please...not yet...

love again, and warm soft hugs... 24/7/365 from me to you.

sass

• Juli50
    edited August 2009

Colleen - yes, that was my bone scan. LOL... chemo brain, for sure! I haven't had a PET scan since last Sept.  Now I remember how hard it was to keep my arms over my head for so long. Yell

Mina - so sorry you are in pain too. Hope you feel better soon!

hugs! Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Positve vibes coming over to each and every one of you!  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Thinking of our Jane.

Jules, are you doing the brest MRI just as a normal "check up" type thing? Or is something leading to this? 

Genia and all, thanks for info on the PET scan. Sounds like a CT scan, except for maybe the moving about bit while waiting for the test. I don't remember them telling me not to move while waiting for the CT scan... ha.

Spring.

• BrandonMom
    edited August 2009

Juli, I mix them up all the time.  The only reason it is fresh in my mind is that I go for the bone scan and CT next week.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited August 2009

I had a PET scan this time last year when I was first diagnosed.  Can we all say deja' vu?  I go to the Oncologist in a little bit.  I'll let y'all know how I make it.  If I haven't said it lately, I sure am glad you all are here.

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Jane, thinking of you. We'll be waiting to hear about your appointment when you get back. Spring.

• BrandonMom
    edited August 2009

Jane,

Hang in there!  I was just dropping in to see if you had any news. 

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

The oncologist said it has to come out.  It wasn't there in the spring when I had my CT scan for rads.  He set up an apt for me to see the surgeon on Tuesday to set up an apt for the biopsy.  He also wants me to have a PET scan which his office will set up for next week as well.  What do you think my chances are of getting a definite diagnosis before my birthday next Saturday?

• Juli50
    edited August 2009

Jane - Hopefully you will hear "B9" before your birthday! Happy Birthday a little early... I won't be online for a week while I am in Montana.

Beverly - I have been feeling something on my non-lumpectomied side, but it didn't show on the mammo. The onc wants an MRI just to be sure. Maybe it has to do with my port. After Mina gets hers out, am I the only one left with one? My onc said I had to keep it till after the MRI at least.

Gotta type one more report before I can go on vacation...

hugs Kiss

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Jane, Well, it is good that you have a plan, and getting it out, whatever it is, sounds right to me. If I was you, I'd be calling to get an appt for that biopsy with surgeon first thing Monday AM. No reason to wait to Tuesday to see him to set appt for biopsy.Will be 48 hours maybe after biopsy to get results! HOpefully, before your BDAY B9!

Jules, yep get the MRI just to be sure! 

Spring.

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Jane, let's keep our fingers crossed for your test results.  At least you will know that with the regular checks you have been having, whatever it is, they have caught it in time, I am sure your surgery is probably all that is needed regardless of what it is. We are all actually very lucky that they keep such a keen eye on us. Of course we would all rather that we didn't need to be kept an eye on, but that's life and we will get through it. Like Spring said, get that biopsy asap so you can put your mind at rest.  Where exactly is the lump, close to the surface and easy to get at?

As you said Jane, we are all very glad we have each other as every post that we put up or read is a comfort to us all in some way.  You are not alone, we will always be here.

Take care girls,

Singapore Chris x

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited August 2009

Jane- Like spring I think I would call Monday to see if that biopsy could be scheduled ASAP. We are still praying for B9 results.rads DO change the tissue. Anyway my thoughts are with you and I hope you have a good birthday despite all of this.

Juli- No hun you won't be the only one left with a port. MY onco wants mine to stay in 2 yrs. That would be next summer...UGH

Calli is home and still in pain but resting. They still don't have paths yet. She will have to have a lot of therapy to regain limited use of the arm and they are scheduled to begin chemo again on august 31st.

I hope everybody else is doing well and has a great weekend.

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Jane,

What Chris said, We will always be here. I second that!

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

The oncologist can't feel it, so I am assuming it is not close to the surface.  The oncologist called the surgeon and the soonest she could see me was Tuesday at 4:30.  I'd love for her to be able to squeeze me in on Wed for the biopsy, but we'll see.  I would think that they could do a frozen section right at the time of the surgery and give me the results the same day.  When DH had his kidney tumor removed, they knew before he was even in recovery.  My surgeon is excellent.  I know she'll do whatever she can to get me the info ASAP.  Cancer IS NOT going to ruin my birthday again this year.  My daughter has a party planned for Sunday with about 65 people coming and we are going to PARTY. 

What do you guys think about "gut feelings?"  Do you think they are accurate or do you think we are shell-shocked and over-react.  While part of me really wants to hold on to the possibility that this is just some sort of scar tissue to keloid or something, my gut feeling is telling me that it's cancer and it's somehow related to the lymph nodes.  My daughter said she has the same feeling.  Patience is not one of my strong points.  Maybe God is trying to help me improve that.

• BrandonMom
    edited August 2009

Jane, PET results come back very quickly.  While they are no where near as accurate as the biopsy, if the cells do not "uptake" on the PET, then it is more likely it isn't cancer.  Nothing like looking under the microscope at actual cells, so I hope they get you in soon!

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Jane, I almost always go with my gut feeling, BUT after we have had cancer we are more likely to think the worst of any new lump, as we didn't expect it last time and got it.  I think you brain is now so tuned into thinking about cancer, that this time your feeling is WRONG.  I am not just saying this, I really believe it.  As for your birthday, go ahead and enjoy yourself whatever the results and whenever they come in.  At the moment you feel no pain and there are not any results to say you are not well.  Don't waste your time worrying when you could be having a fantastic party with all your family and friends around you.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Jane,

Didn't you get your armpit radiated until you were crispy? The whole point of rads is to prevent a local recurrance.I am sure hoping it killed everything so bad it made a lump of scar tissue!!! I also had a lump in my armpit after the SNB. Apparently it was fluid or something, and it took a long time to resolve. My ONC kept feeling it and it freaked her out every time, and I had to keep reminding her it was this huge post surgical lump and was getting smaller, She had me get it MRI's and everything!!!

I think maybe we are shell shocked now, so close to diagnosis, treatment. Just starting to get on with our lives. i remember recently when my GYN said, "Oh, what is this lump in your belly area, we need to have an ultrasound and make sure that's normal". I was like What the...?????? When she said that last year about my breast, all hell broke loose. I was in shock. I could not believe it and was nervous about the belly thing!!! Everyone said, it will be nothing, but i was not so easily convinced, because of all this stuff the last year. . I think we'll never be "normal" again about tests like this! 

So I am hoping your gut is wrong.  I am hoping the RADS fried your armpit. 

Thinking of you...

Spring.  (we are on family holiday with DH's family in Hilton Head Island... very close to beach in this big luxurious house. Lovely...)

• bar62
    edited August 2009

Jane... hoping you will be OK and that they got it all when they fried your armpit....but I know you are worried... we all are. off to PMD...back soon to read more carefully...praying for our dear Callie..and that your gut is wrong.

love to everyone

Mina

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Nice to hear from our Mina!

Thinking of you Jane...

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Thinking of you too Jane. Hope all is well.

Singapore Chris x

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited August 2009

Jane- Will be thinkig aout you all day today. I hope all goes well and we will be looking forward to hearing from you. Take care!!

• Genia
    edited August 2009

Gotcha on my mind sweet Jane.....I'll be there in spirit and prayers!

love ya

• bar62
    edited August 2009

I woke up with you on my mind Jane instead of the usual... what happened to my belt, scarf,  cap? Please let us know how you are.

I love ya,

Mina