Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009

On vacation, but also thinking of you Jane. All this powerful energy from all your girlies here coming your way....

Spring...

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited August 2009

Still thinking of you Jane- Calli got paths back and the GREAT news is that 95% of the cancer cells were dead so the chemo did what it was supposed to do!!!! YAH!!!!

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Lisa, that is excellent!

Jane, still tihnking of you...

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited August 2009

Great news Lisa.....nothing like a miracle in progress!

Looking for you Jane......hope to hear something soon.

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Today is Mina's Birthday!! (I saw it on Facebook!!)

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday dear Mina.....
    Happy Birthday to you!  

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited August 2009

Happy B-day Mina Cool

Wonderful news about Calli!

I've got my mind set on you - Sweet Sweet Jane! (ok, stolen from George Harrison & Cowboy Junkies)

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited August 2009

Happy Birthday, Mina!

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

I saw the surgeon this afternoon.  I love her.  But, she's not going to do anything until the PET scan is done.  She actually was able to pull up the CT scan on her computer in her office and showed it to me.  She said if the PET scan lights up, it'll have to be excised.  But, since she can't feel it, she doesn't want to just go in there digging around.  It is in an area where there are surgical clips.  She said that if there was any piece of tissue left in there with even 1 microscopic cancer cell left in it, it could grow.  On the other hand, it could be something else that started with an "n".  I want to say neuroma, but I don't think that's it.  If it is this and she removes it, it will just grow back.  I asked what she would do if it was that (for the pain) and she said she could only treat it with medicines.  That's not going to work for me, thank you.  So, I guess I'll take tomorrow when tomorrow comes.  My onc's office is only open Mon, Wed, Fri, so nothing got done with the PET scan today but you can bet I'll be all over that office tomorrow like fleas on a dog.

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Like a dog on a bone Jane... :)  Lord have mercy on that office. :)  You go girl!!!

so glad you like your surgeon. She sounds smart and sensible in the approach. 

Could the word be seroma?

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

I don't think so...I'm pretty sure it started with an "N," but I have chemobrain, so it could have been a P for all I know.

• Genia
    edited August 2009

could it be necrosis Jane?

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

No, I know what necrosis is...it isn't that.

• newtonville
    newtonville Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2009

hi all

iam new here.   I have a second surgery next monday and will start chemo at the end of september.  alliknow is to start with ACfirst for 4 tx.     it  may change after the surgery results.   i don't know what to expect and i m frightened of chemo, especially losing hair.   very scared. would love to learn tips, and ways to handle and get over this hell.

• bettysgirl
    edited August 2009

Mina- A very Happy Birthday to you!!!

Jane- Hang in there and know we are thinking of you.

newtonville- we have all been where you are. Chemo is a frightening challenge and hairloss is a very difficult part of it. There is a thread  with lots of good shopping tips and advice before chemo. It isn't fun but is a do-able process. This group here was in chemo last fall and we lived to talk about it. You will too. Best wishes to you. Just take everthing in little steps at a time. Easy to say not so easy to do but you have to take a day at a time. Take care

• Genia
    edited August 2009

newtonville.....ditto what Lisa said.....it's a hard thing to go through.....but it is doable.  Had it not been for the ladies on this board.........especially this thread and the power of prayer thread....I would not have made it. 

We are here if you need anything!

Genia

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited August 2009

Hey Lisa & Genia - you two are up late.  I'm working a graveyard shift tonight and it's been very busy!

newtonville - this site was instrumental in helping me know what questions to ask my oncologist.  It's very important to have a proactive involvement in your treatment; Ffnd out as much information as possible.  Knowledge will help temper some of your fears.

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Jane, glad the day went well, fingers crossed for your PET scan. One day at a time.

Newonville, we were all scared of chemo, but we are all now over it and feeling pretty good. We lost our hair too of course, but it back for us all now, so just focus on killing the cancer, knowing that all will be well in the end. Get your head shaved or a very short hair cut within the first week of chemo and then it won't be such a shock when it falls out, after around the 3rd week. Join the September chemo group and give and draw strength from the group of ladies you meet. You can post every day and keep each other updated of how your doing, we are all very good friends of this thread now and I would love you to have the same support.  Feel free to drop in here whenever you like and let us know how you are doing. Good luck with your surgery Monday and the AC after that.

Bye for now, Singapore Chris x

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Mina, Happy Birthday girlfriend! You enjoy yourself.

Singapore Chris x

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

PET scan tomorrow (Thursday) at 11.  Will have the results on Friday, if I have to go read it myself!!!! (LOL)

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Jane, OK, good. and GREAT about getting the results the NEXT DAY! Of course you will let us know and we will be right here with you girl - whatever it is. But still tinking the best best best and prayers prayers prayers.

Newtonville - Have you ever had children? I remember thinking to myself, How in the world am I going to deliver this baby. How is this huge baby going to come out of this tiny spot in me?? I was freaked out. But then, I thought, many women go through this, and they do it, and they survive. Chemo, losing your hair, all that you will go through, just remember: Many women go through this, and we get to the other side. Delivering a baby is not fun, but you survive it! Going through chemo is not fun, but you survive it too! Just remember, you are not alone. There is a Huge community of women here. Find a chemo board for women going through chemo the same time as you, they will become your tribe of fellow warriors. And come back here any time!!

Love love love to you all. Mina, what did you do to celebrate your birthday girlie??

2 weeks from today I will be having my preop appts (day prior to surgery) in New Orleans. It is realloy happening.... Well, for now, back to focusing on VACATION!!! We are having a great time. :)

Spring.

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Spring, what exactly will they be doing?  I am seeing a lady tomorrow who has had recon and has now found out she need rads, what happened to you after rads? Is there anything I can pass on to this lady?

Enjoy your vacation.

fingers crossed Jane for some good news and a lovely birthday at the weekend.

Take Care Everyone, Singapore Chris x

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2009

I love my board...you just raised my spirits...so many beautiful Happy Birthdays...Thank you all so much.Smile

My Oncologist called and feels relieved that her --emergency let's check out the leg pain Doppler study-- was negative. She says we all have to watch out for Deep Vein Thrombosis; one of the signs  being leg pain/calf pain. I have to say this OK: Cancer the gift that keeps on giving.

I've had so many angels  come into  my life and I know there must be on nearby  because I feel so confident at THIS moment....tired...getting less tired.... but confident... I hope this lasts

Make a long story short...a close friend showed up in my  bedroom talking with a voice unrecognizable to me though I knew his face immediately....he  was dead--his wife lived--  from a Moped accident in the Cayman Islands.  He and I  talked.

I didn't know why I hadn't recovered from my hysterectomy, my pain was increasing instead of lessening, all the wrong outcomes were happening. He told me in a raspy voice, unlike his own voice at all, that I would get  definitely get better but it would take a long time. This part may make you laugh; it does me from time to time. I asked him why his voice was so raspy. He said "I'm dead damn it!"

I was dxed with Fibromyalgia and other autoimmune arthritic conditions over the next few months; I did get better but it took a very long time. I just know if he hadn't showed up to talk to me...uninvited...I would have not had the courage to face what was coming.

I'm going to see neuro doc...back soon Jane and friends....thanks again for making my day so much better:)

love hugs and more hugs

mina

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Chris,

Well, does your friend have implants? Implants and Rads don't mix well. I always wanted natural tissue, and the implants were put in as a sort of "place holder" to get me through rads, sort of knowing they would not be the final step. I had to wait 6 months after rads were done to go on to do the "flap" surgeries. What happened is on that rads side, the skin and tissues have shrunk to be really tight around the implant, and it's very tight and sore. I also can't stand the feeling of my pec muscles on top of implants, I want them back on my chest wall where they belong! I am getting athletic and exercising a lot on my old age, and I don't like how it feels, those muscles in my chest. It forces me to stop doing things, anyway. 

Tell me a bit about your friend. Not all rads wreck implants either, but it's such a bad combo some plastic surgeons won't even consider implants if you're doing rads. Others will give it a try knowing there is a good possibility of failure. (I've heard 50-60%).

Spring.

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2009

I did meet one  patient who had radiation  with recon but I  didn't think to ask her what her procedure was. I'm at the library...haven't been here in so long the entire computer card catalogue has changed/ Thank goodness I could get a little help. I know it's been at least 6 months.

xoxo

mina

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Ladies,

Question for you. One of my big toe nails is lifting off. This is over 9 months past end of chemo!! Has this happened to any body else?

spring.

• bettysgirl
    edited August 2009

spring- i lost all my toenails and most of my fingernails but it was about 3 ms after chemo. Fingernails have almost fully recovered..toenails not so much.

Mina- Library...I had forgotten all about those..LOL

Kids are wild tonight. DH is taking them for a ride in the wagon...AHHHH QUIET!!  We were not meant to raise toddlers at our age...

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi girls,

Spring, thanks for the information I will pass it on. As far as nails go, yes I have had two of my new toenails lift and just today one of my fingernails has half lifted.  Very dissapointing, but not unusual I think.  The first round must still be pretty weak, fingers crossed to longer stronger onces coming through.

We had some good news yesterday, the exam results came out for the whole of the UK and my second son Daniel got into University to study Physics. We are all very relieved and proud of him. He managed it even though he was moved to the other side of the world 2 years ago and his mother had cancer for the next year. Only one little one left now (13 yrs), thank god I had three.

Take Care girls, Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    edited August 2009

Looking for you Miss Jane........we've discussed patience..........lol

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Thinking of you Miss Janie.

Lisa and Chris, thanks for the info on the toe nails. Glad I am not alone here. I can't believe this far our our nails are wacking out!!! My two big ones were the only two impacted. They had looked sort of bruised. The side of one was lifting, and that one looks okay. The other one, with bigger bruise and no lifting, recently has nearly lifted off! What do you do about it? sort of keep clipping it short? Is there a new nail under there? I am sure glad this is happening at the end of summer!!! (rather than the start!)  Have any of you gone to a podiotrist (foot doctor?) 

Chris, Congrats to your son!!! What a survivor. I think he will do very well in this life, he seems to prevail even in the midst of change and hard times. :)  You are a great parent! 

Spring.

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Facebook update from Jane!!!!  Thank you God! :)    Joyous Birthday Jane!!!

Jane Murphy GOOD RESULTS!!!! PET Scan didn't show anything abnormal. Recheck in 6 months. Increase Lyrica for pain. Happy Birthday to me!!!!!! Thank you for all the prayers