Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited August 2009

Yaaay.......praise GOD!!!  I haven't been to facebook yet, I came here first to see if she had posted anything yet.......thanks Beverly!

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited August 2009

Well, as Beverly shared, All is good!!! Sorry I haven't been on here.  Kids are up from Virginia.  What a relief!!!!

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Thank God Jane, we are all sooooo pleased that your results are clear!  Enjoy your birthday !

Spring, thanks for your comments, I have been keeping my nails clean, no polish for a month now they are starting to look alright and cut short.  I can't see but I feel sure there is a new nail underneath.  It seems much flatter not like the nasty coarse ones that came through last round. I have been putting a strengthening cream on them daily, but the lift happened after this, so I don't think there is much we can do.

Did my dragon boating today, very exhausting,but fun. We have a "friendly race" coming up soon against Eester Lauder, and are training hard.

Spring, what does your new surgery entail?

Have a wonderful weekend girls! Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    edited August 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANE!!!  I hope you have a day as wonderful and as beautiful as you are.............love you.

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited August 2009

JANE- SOOO happy for you!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I hope you clebrate BIG!!!!!

I woke up to hearing the kids in my kitchen...DD had let them get up ASSUMNG  I was up to watch them (WRONG) they were singing this song...."squishy squishy squashy...." It was a oh crap feeling and i got up to find they had gotten into my frigde and dumped ALL the eggs out of the floor and were playing in them..... Needless to say I don't have to worry about the BC getting me; I am going to die of a STROKE!!!!

Kids are gone for now and I am cooking and washing clothes and will soon go do the grocery shopping them...?????? What fun!

• Genia
    edited August 2009

Lisa I had to smile when I read that........poor you!  Been there......done that......my daughter and your daughter sound a lot alike!

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Bettysgirl, what a mess that must have been, not what I would have wanted to see first thing in the morning.  Take a deep breath and keep on breathing.

I am feeling pretty sick aboug my nails, another one half lifted today. What do they think they are up to. I am seeing the orthorpedic surgeon tomorrow afternoon to see what he has to say about my heels. I have heard that I may get a steroid injection in my heel and then the pain will just go away, I am not a fan of injections, but would love this pain to go away.  Will keep you posted.

bye for now girls, Singapore Chris x

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2009

I give up...

I clicked two posts  away to  who knows where:(

Congratulations Jane! 

Chris you must be so happy...what marvellous news...

Spring, my fingernails just turned Halloween purplish-black and took nearly one year to grow out. {{{{{{Spring}}}}}

I expect  Taxol joint pains to get better...one poster mentioned having them for one year...I already had joint pain...but now they feel as if glue was injected...small price to pay to be here with my son.

I can take the subway steps now and not just buses as I did most of the time in May,June. and July.

PS

IE just closed but I saved this post :lol :lol

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Mina, very sorry that you are in so much pain, is there nothing your doctor can do?

I have the painters in today, so my house will be turned up side down.

Take care everyone, Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009

Chris, you look so lovely!!1 YOur new pic and hair! I will have to update my pic as now I have this mop of curls, it is totally crazy! But I am loving it for a change. I figure by the time I am sick of the curls, they will be wearing out!! LOL

Chris, same issue with nails, What the heck!!!!???? Do you think it has just taken our nails this long to freak out about chemo? I finished chemo 10 months ago nearly, I just can't believe this. ugh. It is just a reminder of the old stuff. I just SO want to be psychologically done with all this. I know you all know what I mean!!!

Jane. I expect you to be living life like never before. It is things like this that really make us treasure our time here. 

Spring. 

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Thanks Spring, I am waiting to see your new pic and all those curls!

I went to the foot guy yesterday and got 4 nasty injections in my heels. The first two were to numb the pain and he said it was going to hurt, he was right, the next two were the steroids, also not very nice, but the pain has gone today!  I will have to keep doing stretching exercises and all should be well. Modern medicine is sometimes a great thing. (remember chemo is not actually modern and doesn't feel like it either!)

My living room and dining room are now looking lovely, newly painted and we even had the whole area back in position on the same day. My husband came home and said "there is something different, what is it?" He couldn't belive he left one place in the morning and it was all done so fast".

Hope you are all well and in good spirits. bye for now, Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited August 2009

Happy Birthday Mina! Happy Birthday Jane!

I had a great time in Montana! Getting there and back was a disaster (thanks to chemo brain), but I'm so glad I was able to help my friend with her 17 month old and 2 yr old (foster kids).

I had my breast MRI today and will get results next Monday. I'm not worried. Ignorance is bliss these days.

I typed 2 reports yesterday and 2 today, so all that extra sleep I got last week is being negated this week. LOL

Chris - Love the hair! You look fabulous dahling!

Jane - Congrats on the PET results! What a relief!

My big toe nails are lifting too... glad I'm not alone. Yell

Better get some sleep now. I missed you guys!

Hugs! Kiss

• bettysgirl
    edited August 2009

chris- love your new hair! Sorry the shots were so bad. I have heard horror stories about the shots but all said the shots help with the pain. Hope the pain stays away for you.

Juli- try to rest some. Glad you had a good trip though.

Calli has done fairly well since her surgery. I may have already said this but the tumor was 95% dead. She is still in pain and is back in the hospital to get a block put in the arm. She will continue chemo until the end of the yr. after she recovers from the surgery.

Gotta run- it;s a court day BUSY BUSY BUSY!

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Lisa, 95% dead is great! So glad that went well for Cali. 

OK I have a chemo big "toe nail update". Went to my regular doctor today for something else and showed her the toenail that is lifting up and sort of thick. She says she thinks it is like a (oh this is so GROSS).... a fungus!!!

She wants me to use some cream on it (that you get at the drug store, for athletes foot she said) and soak it twice a day in half water, half vinegar!!!

Cripes. WHAT IS THIS GIRLS????  All these months past chemo and nail issues!!! I can't beleive it!

Spring. 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Mop o'Curls!!!

curls

• Genia
    edited August 2009

I LOVE your hair Spring.......mine's that curly too!  I went and got it cut the other day....just a trim to shape it up.  I try to spike it out........but it's so curly it goes right back down to my scalp......lol.  Crazy hair.......but hey it's HAIR!  lol

I'm back on the Tamoxifen.  Haven't taken any since Weds evening.  I have felt soooo much better off of it.......but Dr. says he wants me on it.  He's giving me prednisone to counteract the effects.......hope it works and I don't blow up like a balloon.  I felt so good Sat and Sun.  Almost normal.......but after tonight I'll be having the leg pain and feeling like doo doo again!!!

Love you gals......

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Spring what lovely curles, the toenails things sound awful, but I have recently had a line of green across my big toenail and the pedicure person said it was fungus, I thought it was a bruise.  I also have some liquid to kill it off, it looks better now, but that is not one of the ones that is lifting! I have another fingernail about to go, it feels slightly tender and I just know it is working on lifting. I might just put the fungus liquid on them too, just in case.

My talk with the breast cancer foundation went really well yesterday. We had 80 student nursing staff, just about to qualify, they cheered and clapped for me and some wanted pictures takes with me, very sweet and rewarding for me.

Still struggeling with my weight, I seem to be able to manage a week of being really really good, then I slip.  at least with my feet not hurting now, I can continue with my exercise.

Genia, is there not another drug you Dr can try you on?  I guess you are not in memopause so you can't go onto A.I. Hope your body adjusts soon and the pain goes away.

Great news about Callie, how old is she? I really hope she feels better soon, she has had such a hard time.

Take care girls, Singapore Chris x

• bettysgirl
    edited August 2009

chris- calli is 14- she is a strong young lady and has great faith. She has had more than her share of rough times since this started but hopefully this will soon be all behind her.

Found out this week that one of the ladies in out church that was a great cheerleader for me has had breast cancer come back in her other breast. Not sure when but she will having surgery to remove the other breast and begin the process again. And yesterday another young lady here with small children( i think she is 34) found out she has BC with a large mass and positive nodes. Her mother also had BC so they are going to test her and her sister to see if they carry the BRCA gene. Her mom is so upset becasue she had no nodes and only did surgery and tamoxifen. We have tried to encourage her but she is so upset. It breaks your heart.

DH came home from work tonight with fever and coughing and sputtering. He went to the doctor's office last Friday and it was filled with sick people...guess he must have caught something there.Hopefully it isn't this flu stuff. We have it here and several of the neigboring counties..The girls have been sick with what the pediatricain said were allergies. The youngest has a touch of asthma so I hope that he doesn't give whatever he has to her.

Court day brought out the crazies toady. At some point you have to laugh because it is amazing how many crazy things can happen in one day. Boss had to go out of town so I get to take the pleas down on my own today. Then the bench trails will begin..I hope the sentences will be simple ones.

Genia- So sorry to hear that the tamoxifen is giving you trouble. I don't have pain but the mood problems are big for me. I take a break on the weekends as it has kept me down in the dumps or aggitated ever since it has taken hold of me. I'm sure onco wouldn't approve but that break is what has kept me sane. 

Spring- I love your hair. My curls are beginning to tame as my hair grows longer. I tried curling my hair sort of like I used to that does not look good so I guess it is time to go back to the hairdresser for suggestions. I guess i should be thankful for bad hair days.. I will have to say that i will miss the ease of the curls as they have been pretty much wash and go.

Have a great day ladies...while it has still been on the warm side there is a teeny time touch of fall in the air..

• Juli50
    edited August 2009

I have to re-do the contrast part of the MRI today. The radiologist said he sees an "artifact" and wants to know if I moved. I dunno...

What's an artifact?

hugs Kiss

• Genia
    edited August 2009

According to Dr. Google:

An image artifact is a structure not normally present but visible as a result of a limitation or malfunction in the hardware or software of the MRI device, or in other cases a consequence of environmental influences as heat or humidity or it can be caused by the human body (blood flow, implants etc.). The knowledge of MRI artifacts (brit. artefacts) and noise producing factors is important for continuing maintenance of high image quality. Artifacts may be very noticeable or just a few pixels out of balance but can give confusing artifactual appearances with pathology that may be misdiagnosed.
    Changes in patient position, different pulse sequences, metallic artifacts, or other imaging variables can cause image distortions, which can be reduced by the operator; artifacts due to the MR system may require a service engineer.
    Many types of artifacts may occur in magnetic resonance imaging. Artifacts in magnetic resonance imaging are typically classified as to their basic principles. 

Sorry you have to have it repeated Jules.......love ya girl

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Jules good grief! let us know what happens.

Genia, the ONC, has he/she considred an AI rather than Tamoxifen? I wonder if you may tolerate it better? I have one more day to take Tamoxifen, then off it for the week prior and after surgery. I can't wait to see if I notice anthing different/better. Will be interesting. 

Chris, I wonder if our nails are damaged from chemo and more likely to get a fungus, or if these folks are just used to banged up looking nails being a fungus? Anyway. the Dr. wants me to soak my toe 2x a day in 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water to try and kill the fungus.  I am also to run on it antifungal creme 2x a day that is for athlete's foot and jock itch!!!

Sheesh! 

spring.

• Juli50
    edited August 2009

Genia - thanks for the info.

AI's won't work if you have any estrogen in your system. Have you been checked?

I guess I'll be starting Tamoxifen next week. I've put if off long enough. Yell

hugs Kiss

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009

Wonder why I am taking Femara and you are all taking tamoxifen???

• Springtime
    edited August 2009

Colleen, who the HECK KNOWS!! Were you already menopausal prior to chemo? I was not, but chemo blasted me into menopause. My onc then did that tamoxifen metabolizer test on me, and since I was an "extreme metabolizer" decided she wanted me to start on Tam. I think the plan is to switch to an AI after 2 or 3 years.

I just read all this stuff on the site how Femara for 5 years was superior to Tam for 5 or even Tam + Femara or Femara then Tam. So don't worry. 

We are not supposed to take AI's if we still are getting our period, or maybe if we were getting our period prior to chemo, then they'd have to give us shots to make sure our period didn't come back. Who knows. ugh.

Chris, I ordered some stuff online that is supposed to help with nail issues. Apparently there is an ingredient in (get this) Vicks Vapor rub that helps with nails. The ingredient is called Thymol. So I ordered some Thymol off amazon.com. I'll let you know if it works....

• Genia
    edited August 2009

I guess since I was still having a period before chemo started....my doc feels my lack of period is chemo induced and that my body is still producing estrogen.  That's why he wants me on the Tamoxifen.  I started back on them last night.  Gonna  try it again.......if my legs throb like they did last time.........he and I are gonna have to have a talk.  The pain is really bad......

I've been very tired today........falling asleep at the drop of a hat!  Maybe I just need to give in and go to bed for a few hours........lol

• bettysgirl
    edited August 2009

coleen- i'm not sure either. My onco told me that we would monitor my FSH and once i was in a true menopause rather than chemopause they would switch me over to an AI. He said i would be on tamoxifen probably  2- 21/2 yrs.

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009

I had my period right up until Chemo, and even one month after initially starting.  I'm 46, so a bit young for true menopause.  All he said to me was that he felt Femara was more effective, but if that's the case, why wouldn't every one be doing it??  I've not had my period since chemo, but it sounds like you didn't either.  Sigh...still a mystery.

• bettysgirl
    edited August 2009

yes it is a mystery. I started chemo in late sept. had a period in oct and that was the last one i had. Last bloodwork showed that the estrogen was still kicking around in there...nurse said it was a tad elevated....( i didn't mention to her that it could be from the tamox breaks on the weekends) I go back to the onco the first week of Sept. We will see what's in store for me then.

• Juli50
    edited August 2009

Colleen - My onc checked my hormone levels and said I am still producing estrogen. She specifically said AI's will not be effective if you are still producing estrogen. I hoped your levels were checked. I had my periods right up until I started chemo and haven't had any since.

The technician said she got "good pictures this time", so I must have moved. She said I should be able to results on Monday.

back to typing...

hugs Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2009

Hi Girls,

Juli, you poor thing, it's bad enough to have the tracer once let alone twice.  I am sure all will be good with your results Monday.

Spring, I had also heard about the vicks stuff, let me know how you get on.  I am putting my fungus cream on all fingernails and toe nails just in case. I don't like the sound of what vinegar will do to your nails, mine are still pretty dry. I posted a message on these boards to ask about other people and their nails post treatment and a few girls said they are still having nails lift after two years out of chemo. Not much we can do by the sounds of things.

bye for now, Singapore Chris x