Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009

I am not sure if my brain is impacted by the chemo I had, or by the menopause chemo put me in. LOL. Oh well.

Hey Genia, good you were able to eat food!!

packing day is tomorrow, we fly out Tuesday 9.1.  

Chris, OK, i have your email in the listing, so you will get an email from "richlove" (that is my husband, don't delete it! LOL).  he will send this out when i get out of surgery successfully.

Spring.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited August 2009

Chris - what kind of weight loss regimen were you thinking about?  My feet hurt too much for marathon walks.  DH and I are planning to start going  swimming at the Y.

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited August 2009

Spring- I know you are excited. I wish you safe travel and a speedy recovery. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as it is over.

I wish we hd a Y in this little ole town. Like everyone else my feet make walking difficult. I am also having some joint pain I guess from the tamoxifen. Swimming would be nice. Maybe I need to go love with Chris for a while..LOL

Calli was having some pain issues after her surgery so they went back to atlanta to get them to put a block in it. She would be required to stay in patient for 10 days so they decied to begin the chemo again while she is there. I haven't heard an update this weekend as there has been a lot going on for them and us but let's hope that the nausea isn't near as bad this go round. I think now that the tumor responded so well she will be done by the end of the year. (sooner than originally thought)

No eggs of the floor this weekend. actually had some fun moments this weekend..mixed in with the chaos. Actually if you get the three yr old by herself she has quite a personality and is fun to talk with. She is really soaking in all the stuff at preschool and is so proud of all she has learned. It is fun to watch.

Have a great week ladies. You are reach very dear to me.

• Jane_M
    edited August 2009

Bettysgirl - My sons experimented with chocolate syrup when they were little.  Like eggs, they don't mop up very easily.  I called my mother in tears because all it did was slide and spread when I ran the mop across it.  They are 25 and 23 now (and still alive to tell about it).

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2009

MRI results in... Dancing with NED! Woohoo!

Also saw my internist today. He said he wants me to switch neurologists, and don't take any more Lamictal. He wants me to get an infusion of Reclast, instead of taking Actonel. He says biphosphonates are not good for people with acid reflux. He also said Omega 3's and vitamin D supplements are essential to preventing cancer, and that Americans get too much Omega 6 and Omega 9, which causes our autoimmune systems to get out of whack. He says "The Zone Diet" by Dr. Barry Sears has the best proportion of food groups with ant-inflammatory properties in preventing cancer.

Lisa - Thanks for the update on Calli.

Thinking of you Beverly!

Hugs Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2009

Hi Girls,

Juli, glad everything is o.k. with your results.  At least your dr's are trying to do the best for you, even though it probably seems like it is never ending.

Hope Callie does well this round.

bettys, pop on over and we can have a nice swim.

I met a new lady today who has just finished her treatment, but hasn't had any contact with other breast cancer patients throughout. We have all been so lucky to have each other.

One of my other chemo friends I met on Monday has exactly the same lifting of the nails and she had her treatments the same time as me, it is so comforting to know I am not alone.

Bettys, I am only waiting for your photo and I will send out the collage to you all.  It's so good to see all of your faces.

Take Care Singapore Chris x

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2009

I take 1000 units of Omega 3 for my joints...having no estrogen anymore is hell on the joints and bones! Schiff makes a caplet of fish oil that has 1000 units of O3, and it doesn't have to be refrigerated, it doesn't taste fishy or smell fishy (very important! LOL)

Juli...fantastic news...we're ALL getting fantastic news lately! 

Love you ALL...

Robin

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited September 2009

Yay Julie!!!!  I've got Barry Sears' books and I like his philosophy on food - he says to eat like your Grandmother used to feed you - a meat, starch, and green - a portion is what fits in the palm of your hand.  I thought that reclast was a bisphosphnate (like Zometa); maybe he's just talking about the oral variety.

Lisa - I'm praying for Calli; no child should have to go through the things that she has!  CA makes me so mad; especially when it rears it's ugly head in children!

Beverly - my thoughts are with you; I'm glad that Christine will be able to keep us posted.

Christine - I think a weight loss group would be wonderful!  Maybe a new topic on weight loss after treatment?  My onc's nurse told me that it's very common for women with BC to gain weight during (and after) chemo; I'll bet that there are many women on the discussion boards who are struggling with weight issues.  It would also be nice to share recipes and sensible weight loss tips.

Jane - Happy (very) be-lated Birthday!  Isn't it great that we have birthdays! Cool

Hey Mina - it's wonderful that your son has someone special - age is a man-made measure that has nothing to do with emotions.

Genia - hope that you're feeling less sore - you certainly had some impressive bruises GF.  

Robin (Mom) - if you run short on bubble wrap to send Genia - I can get a whole bunch here at work! 

Love Y'all

Donna

• Wink
    edited September 2009

Robin - I'll have to try the Schiff brand - others have always given me mackerel burps (yuck!).

• Wink
    edited September 2009

Christine - there are several weight loss threads on the discussion boards - so maybe we want it to be a little more personal for all of us here on Chemo in Sept 08 - but maybe not everyone on this discussion thread wants to be involved - how about Chemo Sept 08 losing Weight - or something along these lines.  I need to do something because I'm turning in to a real chub!

Juli - what part of Montana were you visiting?  I lived in N Idaho - about 120 miles west of Missoula; Glacier National Park is one of my very favorite places - I love the remoteness of it.  The "Going to the Sun Road" is beyond spectacular!

• Juli50
    edited September 2009

Donna - you are right. It's only the oral biphosphonates that cause inflammation and erosion of the esophagus.

I've been taking CosaminDS (Glucosamine Chondroitin) for my joint pain. It's more expensive than most, but my stepmom was told by her doctor it's one of the few that really work. Don't know why, but it really helped me. I used to have hip pain every time I stood up, but not any more. I buy it at Costco, but I've seen it at Walmart too.

hugs Kiss

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2009

Flaxseed oil also has omega 3's.  Just keep them in a grinder like a pepper grinder and put some on everything you eat. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Winkie! Glad to see you here!! if you do start a "weight loss" group let us know the name so I can follow too.

We are successfully in New Orleands. Pre Surgical appts tomorrow! Its sunny and lovely and not at all humid here today. (Which is very unusual!)

Spring.

• Jane_M
    edited September 2009

I was told to stay away from Flaxseed.

I had my 1/2 price (I wish) mammo today.  I couldn't get out of it.

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2009

Hi Girls,

Wink good idea, I will start something later, as I have to rush out now.

Good Luck Spring

Take care girls.

Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    edited September 2009

Donna - Sorry I just saw your question...I was 120 miles north of Missoula, in Whitefish. My son has a g/f who goes to college in Moscow, Idaho. Anywhere near where you lived?

Echocardiogram on Friday. If my heart has recovered, I can go off the heart meds. Laughing

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited September 2009

I'll be praying for a recovered heart, Juli.  I'm trying to wean myself off some of my meds, too.  With vitamins and supplements, I take 15 different pills.  Some are once a day and some are twice.  It's like eating a meal.

• Jane_M
    edited September 2009

Just got the results from my mammo (faxed not from Dr.).  It says that there is an assymmetric nodular density in the retroareolar compartment.  The radiologist recommends a spot compression view of further evaluation.  I wonder how long it will take for my oncologist to let me know?  I've always had dense breasts, so I'm not really worried.

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2009

I hope your heart has recovered and you can go off your meds Juli........

Jane....I have very dense breasts too.  Before long I won't have ANY breasts so I won't have to worry about it.  As soon as cold weather kicks in I'm gonna have the other one taken off.  Can't stand to worry constantly every time I feel something that doesn't feel right.  Plus this lopsidedness is starting to get to me!

hugsssss

• Wink
    edited September 2009

Julie, I lived right outside of Coeur d'Alene.  My daughter graduated from University of Idaho in 2005; she lives in Coeur d'Alene.  Moscow is about a 2 hr drive from where I lived.  I really miss the NW - I hope to move back some day.  Positive thoughts coming your way regarding your echo!

Jane - did you have digital mammography?  The difference between digital & the old mammo units are like Blu-Ray vs VHS.  They are supposed to be much more effective for woman with dense breasts too.  I've got you in my prayers!

• Genia
    edited September 2009

Hi Donna....we must have been typing at the same time!  lol

• Jane_M
    edited September 2009

Yes, I had "state-of-the-art" digital mammography.  My surgeon didn't want to do a prophlactic bilateral, but if this proves to be anything worrisome or something to "watch," I'm going to ask them to remove it, too.

• Wink
    edited September 2009

I don't blame you Jane & Genia - I had to fight tooth & nail with my surgeon to get him to remove my other breast - I wasn't even sure he was going to do it until the surgery schedule came out the day before my surgery!  I think that it's been easier in regards to reconstruction too. Fight for what you want GFs!

Love ya,

d

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2009

I guess i was "fortunate" in that i didn't have to beg too hard to get the bi-lat. with previous recalls and multiple cysts and the fact that this cancer didn't pick up on the mamograms....he really didn't balk too much and the insurance covered it..I also didn't want to have to play the wait and watch game AND no more mamograms ever!!!!

I go tomorrow for a ck-up with the onco. I am beginning to get a cold and cough so hopefully it won't get worse. I plan to spend some me time in augusta while i am there and do something I want to do but I have to come back to pick the girls up at five...oh well

DH is still in his funk..not sure how long it's going to last this time. Please pray that it ends soon.

Spring- I sure do wish you the best.

Juli- hope the echo goes well and shows healing!!!

Wink- how bout this weather...don't know about you but today was soooo beautiful. I am hoping tommorrow (while i am OFF) is as pretty as today.

I wish i could lose some pounds...seems these thunder thighs are going to be a part of me forever. I try to be good..really I do. Why can't we lose weight like men do???? MY DH can think away weight!!!

Calli did better with this last chemo and the pain is much less. She is now home. Now I just pray that she does not catch any of the colds and stuff that are going around.

Have a great Thursday!!

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2009

Hi Girls,

I wrote an article for the local Breast Cancer foundation and it came out today, if you feel like it, have a look, I am on page 5 and 6.

http://www.bcf.org.sg/pdf/abreast%20link%202009.pdf

Positive vibes coming over for all who need them. Jane, Spring. Can someone send me some weight loss vibes please, Lisa I will share them with you!

Singapore Chris x

• Jane_M
    edited September 2009

Is anybody else hungry ALL THE TIME.  I can eat and still be hungry or eat and be hungry an hour later.  I know it can't be physical hunger, it's got to be all in my head, but I can't seem to rid myself of it.  I try to busy myself so I don't think about it, but I'm too tired to be busy!

The radiology department called me and asked me to come back for more pictures, so I scheduled it for this afternoon.

• Juli50
    edited September 2009

Chris - great article! (it was on page 8-9 when I opened it up).

Jane - Thinking positive thoughts for you today!

Beverly- Hope your surgery goes well!

Genia - big hugs! Glad your shiner is feeling better. It sure was a pretty one! OUCH!

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited September 2009

I missed the pic of Genia's shiner.  Where was that?

• Wink
    edited September 2009
    I saw it on FaceBook Jane.  It was impressive Cool
  • Genia
    edited September 2009

Shiner is nice a purple.....but it's fading!  Between chemo brain and being a klutz......I feel like an 80 year old woman!!!  You should see me in the shower now.  I move like dead lice are dropping off.......but I am terrified I'll fall again.

Thinking of you Spring.......lots of good thoughts and prayers.

Jane....did they tell you why they wanted more pictures?

Everytime I even THINK of going on a diet.......my stomach growls.  I need to be dieting and excercising......but I just don't know if I have it in me!   We will see.......lol

love and hugsssss