Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2010
    Options

Just a thought about New York City...there's a huge BlogHer conference scheduled August 5-7 2010 at the Hilton of New York (NYC). 

more information about pricing and such is at www.blogher10.eventbrite.com 

and at www.blogher.com/blogher_conference/conf

I don't know if anyone but me blogs, but I'd love to finally visit NYC and meet up with you.

The cocktail parties would be mighty fun!

:)

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited January 2010
    Options

Jane, I live in DC, so just a train, or bus, ride away!

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hey, Mina!! How big is your apartment?  Can we all come visit you? Tongue out
  • bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010
    Options

Of course U can visit me..You're my girls:)

• BrandonMom
    edited January 2010
    Options

I think we should definitely plan for a New York reunion.  This could be so fun!  Should we see a show?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2010
    Options

Yes, a show for sure! 

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010
    Options

I love the shows!

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'll be there in spirit! Laughing
  • Jane_M
    edited January 2010
    Options

How lucky am I?  I get to go on a cruise and meet Genia and Juli and I can go to NYC and meet Mina, Spring, BrandonMom, and Prettiestmess.  Chris - do you want to sponsor a housewarming in Holland?

• Juli50
    edited January 2010
    Options

Guess I need to play the lottery!

hugs Kiss

• Springtime
    edited January 2010
    Options

Oh Holland.... now you're talking. 

Jules, did you get your cruise roomie?? 

• BrendaSharon
    BrendaSharon Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hello sisters,

I am from the month of November 2009. I know you girls have a lot of experience and will help answer a question one of my "November Warriors" has. She is just finishing her (AC) TX's and will just be on Taxol for 12 weeks now. She wants to know if and how long before her hair will begin to grow back. She has a friend willing to cut her long hair off to have a wig made, bu if it is going to take too long she doesn't want her friend to have to cut her hair for just a short time only.

The cruise you all are planning sounds wonderful~~~~enjoy

Thank you in advance,

(((((Sister HUGS)))))

• BrandonMom
    edited January 2010
    Options

Brenda, everyone is different, but my hair grew on Taxol!  I had AC, then surgery, then taxol/herception (12 weekly taxol).  I finished AC at the end of October, and my hair started growing and didn't come out for the Taxol.  By January, my hair was very short, like military short, but it was there, and I was happy to just wear a hat when outside (it was winter), but otherwise, was happy to show my short hair!

I had a wig, and I wore it when my hair first came out, and a few times after that, but after my hair started coming in, I didn't want to wear it. If it were me, I wouldn't want my friend to cut their long hair to make a wig knowing how quickly it finally came in.

That was me, and my experience.  Everyone is different!

• Juli50
    edited January 2010
    Options

Spring - No, not yet. If no one I know wins the free cruise, then I will bunk up with Jane & Genia. Laughing

Brenda Sharon - I never wore wigs because of the hot flashes. I did 4 AC followed by 8 weekly Taxol. My hair came back after I stopped the Taxol.

hugs to the November Warriors! Kiss

Juli

• Springtime
    edited January 2010
    Options

Brenda, my hair also started growing a little on Taxol (I had dose dense so 4 larger infusions every other week after the AC)

About the Taxol. Some women get "peripheral neuropathy" which is a stinging in the hands and feet (like pinches - really aweful!). I took L-Glutamin for this (you can get it at GNC) an it totally stopped. I kept trying to stop the L-Glutamin after chemo was over, but it would come back. I waited until after rads, and stopped, and I was fine!  

• theprettiestmess
    edited January 2010
    Options

BrendaSharon, my hair kept growing in even while I was on FAC, and then on Taxol. I buzzed it off twice more before I was done with chemo. I tried a wig, but they're so bloody itchy and HOT, that I opted for bandannas and awesome hats. Tell her not to fret too much about it...it's just hair! :)

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi girls,

If you do plan a trip to NY, let me know as I will only be 5 hours away.  It won't be easy to leave my son, but you never know what can be arranged. Depending upon the price, I might be up for a long weekend.

Talking of dreams, I am due for my PET scan Thursday and it has been on my mind.  Twice last week I dreamt that I found another lump in my other breast, if felt exactly like the last one I found.  Fortunately my subconcious woke me up before I had chance to panic.

I had my gyny app today and I am glad to say that the lining of my womb is back to normal thickness. It was definately the tamoxafin, so please keep a good check on yourselves girls if you are taking it.  My gyny said to get checked every 6 months for the rest of my life, as I am going to live until I am 90.

Will keep you posted about the results.  I am having fun with lots of leaving parties and dinners, the dragon boat team held a lovely indian sari night for me Saturday, and we had lots of fun.

My joints are aching a bit now and then, but apart from that everything is good with me. We leave in 12 days, so I am pretty busy with all sorts of things.

Take care girls. Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited January 2010
    Options

Chris, thinking NED NED NED for you! Yes, you are going to live until AT LEAST 90!!!

I am taking Tamoxifen, and Chris, how do you know if the lining of your uterus has thickened? Are there symptoms? Or is this just something the GYN checks for you? It will be a year this March so I would really like to know....

Hope the rest of you are okay.

Genia, how are you on the latest AI? How is the joint pain - any better with the addt'l med? 

• theprettiestmess
    edited January 2010
    Options

Chris...praying for clear scans for you! Your photos of you and your friends in saris are just gorgeous! I've always wanted to see what I'd look like in a sari...the colors and embroidery are just marvelous!

Phone calls from both of my doctors today...no RA (score of 12, 14 is RA), and my sed rate (inflammatory activity) is elevated to 19. No changes in medication or more testing. My onc office called to say that my bone scan "looks good"...Thank God. In the meantime, I'm back on Lopressor because my BP won't stay at a normal rate, Lexapro for mild depression, and Ambien to help me sleep at night. No night sweats, no joint pain...just hot flashes every once in a while. 

Love you ladies...

Robin

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2010
    Options

Spring, they can tell if your uterus has thickened by doing a transvaginal ultrasound. My onc. doesn't routinely order transvaginal ultrasounds because he said that if you are on Tamoxifen (I am too) your uterus will thicken. If you have an ultrasound and they see that it has thickened they will want to do a biopsy (for endometrial cancer)  which will most likely be negative. Endometrial cancer usually causes symptoms. He only orders the ultrasound if you have symptoms of endometrial cancer such as any unusual vaginal bleeding. This is just my oncs feeling on the testing. Check with you gyn or med. onc and see what they think.

Chris, positive thoughts going out to you for your PET scan on Thursday. NED, NED, NED!

Li 

• Juli50
    edited January 2010
    Options

Li - Good to know, as I am on Tamox too.

Chris - Hopefully, the moving stuff will keep your mind off the testing stuff... and you'll be dancing with NED all the way to Holland!

hugsKiss

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010
    Options

I got the results of my sleep study.  I have moderate sleep apnea and they will be fitting me with a CPAP machine.  Maybe if I start sleeping better, I won't be so tired all the time.  My shoulder has been killing me since last Friday.  I don't know why.  I'm retaining fluid, too.  I've gained 6 lbs in a week.  My hands are swollen and achy.  But...I'm out of bed; I'm dressed; I have my makeup on and I'm at work.  It could be worse.

• Springtime
    edited January 2010
    Options

Go Jane!!!! :) 

• SingaporeChris
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Thanks for all your good wishes, I had my PET scan this morning, results tomorrow.  My oncol and gyny both say that we should have a pelvic scan every 6 months if you are on tamox, I think if you are not in a private clinic here they do it once a year.  I agree that abnormal bleeding would be a worry on tamoxafine, but doesn't necessarily mean cervical cancer. Apart from that there is no way to tell without a scan. 

My weight is on the rise again, I am not being very good, I gave myself time off as we have so many leaving dinners and thought I would go easy as this is a very stressful time. As soon as I land in Holland I will drop the carbs and sugar again.only 9 days to go.

Jane, sorry to hear you have aches and pains, hope they go away soon.

Take care girls, Singapore Chris x

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi girls.

NYC  here  we come... August sounds great...I could even put aside the ongoing embarrasment I have  about my  awful teeth to see, hug, eat, hug and have cocktails with everyone. I can't wait.

Chris you looked   beautiful in your Sari. Take me with you to Holland ASAP!. :):)

Jane, I had a CPAP  machine for a while after my  steroid weight gain post diagnoses of RA but opted for the surgery after a while...you should finally get some sleep. 

I look like a 90 year old lately because of the pain I experience walking around etc. I can walk but it's awful. My Rheumy diagnosed this problem as Fibromyalgia flare but it's not nearly as bad as my first time. NO sharp pain...this time. It's bearable and a 5-6  on a scale 1-10. I may call my MD  and ask for a  stronger pain med, maybe Ultram, if pain doesn't decrease. I can't take many pain or antidepressant meds because of my Diabetes...that's OK ...just want to keep the pain to a low roar :)

I'm over the moon with  Robins's  scan results. I may ask about  a scan for myself, since I am Triple Neg  amd I had quite a  problematic time with my chemo   delivery  last year and now  I have really awful back pain. My doc decreased my statins because they cause muscle pain. Who knew?

If not for Farmville and Cafe I know I'd be a mess. I love hanging out with everyone there.  One of my best friends...or so I thought for the last 30 years... has completely  deserted me.

I hear from her maybe once a month.  I  still can't believe she is acting like this.I  really appreciate God bringing my dad's  family back to me and  I thank him because of  the many wonderful friends I met  here. It's a ill wind that blows nobody some good.

I met some Haitian nurses on line  from the NJ area,  who are shuttling down to Haiti to  care of patients. They are calling for the Haititan professional population to come home and help rebuild Haiti. There are many highly educated Haitians living here who may do that. I hope so. My Bahamian family is the best gift God could ever give me except of course the  words "NED."  A few of the younger members of my family wonder about earthquakes happening on their island. This traumatic experience is making all of us grow up...and I'm no spring chicken.

I love you all...NYC here we come! I'd love to take a bus tour  with everyone around the city at night. It's  beautiful with the Empire  Statre Building lit up. They lit it  with Green and White lights last weekend when the NY  Jets played the SD Chargers.

Be back soon...

Take care girlsSmile

Mina 

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010
    Options

I could go for seeing Mama Mia in NYC!  August is great for me - it's my birthday month!  It's also my cancerversary month.

• Springtime
    edited January 2010
    Options

I am generally in NJ in Aug for a week visiting my family. I hope this overlaps! 

Mina, I am sorry about your friend deserting you!  That must feel really crappy. pooh. Hang in there girl. I will send you FV and cafe gifts!!  I am so touched by the news on the Haitian people. They seem so beautiful to me, their spirit's of praise and joy even amidst the rubble. I feel like they open my heart up. 

Chris, 9 days left! Hang in there. Enjoy your last days with your friends and life in Singapore. Dieting will be waiting for you once you are all ready in Holland, that is for sure! Enjoy the days, you deserve it! 

Also, I am on Tamox for a year this March and **nobody** has mentioned a pelvic scan! I will have a GYN appt in early summer, and better remember to ask her about this. I will also ask my ONC's office in March when I go for my check up or whatever you call these ONC appts we have to go to!!!   

• SingaporeChris
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi girls,

My PET was clear, so no need to have any other scans for a year now!!! Wow.

The packers are in and the house is a mess, but at least they haver started, we move into the hotel tomorrow and fly Saturday.

Love to you all.

Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    edited January 2010
    Options

Great news, Chris! Happy dance for you! & Have a safe trip!

hugs Kiss

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited January 2010
    Options

Chris- wishing you safe travels!

The cruise sounds so good. we we are talking about vacation yesterday. All of us are ready for the spring thaw...but it's time to begin thinking about where to go this year...it may be the beach this year.

The idea of all of us meeting some time sounds like fun..maybe one day!!

Mina- I hope you are feeling better. I know what you mean about FB- it has been a stress reliever for me too. I don't worry too much about not having as much luck as SOME people so ( U know who you are!! LOL) I just keep plugging along with my few neighbors. But I do have fun. Still can't do fishville at home...

I hope everyone is doing great and has a super day!!

Love ya!/ BG