Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2010
    Options

Unbelievable Genia! I had never heard of men taking AIs and never would have thought anyone would recommend it for body builders. Just crazy.

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2010
    Options

Men take AI's for breast cancer. One of my friends is a stage 3 survivor, and he takes Femara too. Interesting, that he also gets hot flashes.  Makes sense as Femara stops your body from manufacturing Estrogen from other things like fat :)

I was tested for Vit D. Deficient, so was given 8 weeks of mega D to get my levels up.  Doesn't seem to have made a dent in the pain.You can only take high levels of D for a short term as it is stored, so you could get too much.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010
    Options

I have finished 1 week of LE therapy on the side of my rib cage and back. AND they have me wearing the arm sleeve and a compression top. 2 more weeks of 3x a week to go. The massage actually feels really good. I hope it is working. they tried to "tape me up" but i am allergic to the adhesive, so after 2 days, I had to take it off and my skin was a mess under! So that won't work...

Genia, I am glad you are still not taking it. Are you starting to feel better? (You better fake pain in front of your husband LOL!!!) I want you to remember what it's like to move without pain.

also, exercise (like walking) of 30 minutes a day 6x a week has been shown to reduce the risk of recurrence in women by 50% (This was in the " AntiCancer - a new way of life" book.. If you can't walk because of AI pain, you can't exercise, and that can't be good. Our bodies were designed to move. I know an ONC would thing this is stupid, but it's not to me.  

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hey girls.... sorry to hear about everyone's aches and pains!

Genia: have you been tested for fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis? I'd look back in the posts, but there's so many! 

I'm on Aromasin, have been since September, and I don't have any muscle or joint pain...just arthritis and osteoarthritis. Maybe it's because I've had my ovaries and uterus removed...no estrogen being made. I dunno. 

I have just been notified that a classmate of mine who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on June 1, 2009, has entered into hospice today. He's 42, married, two boys. This crap sucks, but it's not taking me down. 

I'm not gonna give it one iota of energy by thinking about it or worrying about it. I am cancer free and that's the way it's gonna stay.

Robin 

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited February 2010
    Options

No Robin I haven't....don't even know which kind of Dr to go to for that.  I think I do have Fibromyalgia.....but I'm taking Lyrica and I think that is one of the meds they use for it if I'm not mistaken. 

I'm so tired of trying to diagnose myself.....lol.  Having another bout of Lymphedema.....I need to start doing my massages.  Just another thing to add to this body that is falling apart....lol.

• Genia
    edited February 2010
    Options

Sorry about your classmate Robin.......forgot to add that to my post......hugsss

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2010
    Options

Genia  - you are up very late! sweet dreams! Laughing

hugs Kiss

• Genia
    edited February 2010
    Options

Yes Juli.....I don't sleep at night very much.  Most of the time I go to bed around 2 or 3.  On occasion.......I stay up all night long.  Last night was one of those occasions.  Just wasn't sleepy.  Can't shut down my brain so I can sleep.  Then I sit and fall asleep during the day.....lol

• Springtime
    edited February 2010
    Options

Robin, sorry about your classmate. Cancer SUX!!!  

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2010
    Options

Genia, for fibromyalgia you want to see a rheumatologist. Hopefully he/she will be able to help with your pain or at least with the management of it. You need some sleep!

Robin, so sorry about your friend. A college friend of mine lost her husband to pancreatic cancer on Friday. I lost my stepfather to pancreatic cancer 2 1/2 years ago. Such an awful disease!

On a lighter note, how are all you east coast ladies liking this snow? It looks like a winter wonderland here in PA. 

• Juli50
    edited February 2010
    Options

A lady my mom bowled with died of colon cancer on Friday. She refused to have a colonoscopy or even see a doctor when she had blood in her stools. She was too embarrassed. Such a shame!

Sorry about everyone else's losses. Cancer sux bigtime.

hugs Kiss

• Genia
    edited February 2010
    Options

What a horrible thing that lady must have gone through Juli.  To be to embarrassed to go get  yourself checked out.  But I can kinda understand older women being that way.  They were raised in a different era.....

My friends mother has breast cancer and refuses to have surgery or any other treatment other than Tamoxifen......and it made her have really bad side effects so she stopped taking it.  The last time I talked to Patty, the cancer was coming through her skin.  So sad.....but she's 84 so I can kinda understand how she would feel.  At her age it's hard to tell what would kill her first.  Old age.....or the breast cancer.

Robin did you get my post on FB about your classmate?  Well it was actually a reply to your post.

I'm still hurting so badly.  I go see the Onco one day this week.  I'm gonna try to get them to let me see him when I am supposed to get my lupron shot.  I'm not taking that thing if he's gonna keep me off the med for a little while to see if I feel better.  So far the Cymbalta and the Lyrica isn't helping me at all.

Love you all......Genia

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited February 2010
    Options

Genia - You've got to get that guy to find something to fix you up.

• Jane_M
    edited February 2010
    Options

CA15 was 11 - anything under 31 is good.  I can breathe for another 3 months.

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2010
    Options

Genia, darlin'...If it was about my classmate Nicole who died last week, possibly. If it was regarding Dave, who is in hospice, I haven't received a comment in the last couple of days.

Jane: Gotta love THOSE low numbers!! :)

RA factors and sed rate tests are all done via a blood draw. Might be a good thing to check into, Genia!

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited February 2010
    Options

Jane- I am so thrilled your numbers were so good. Congrats!

Genia- wish i was there to give you a big hug. I am sorry you are hurting. I feel your pain on the not sleeping stuff..hard to slow the mind down enough.

Chris- I hope you are doing well- I've been thinking about you.

I know all of you that are going are looking forward to the cruise. I know all of us are ready for some better weather. I feel for you ladies with all the snow. We have just had lots of rain.Lots of folks have been in the office the past week applying for passports..lots of cruises and trips planned.Lots of folks doing the cruises and all inclusives this year.

Calli had surgery on her arm a couple of weeks ago and has some more function to her hand. Now she just goes for lots of physical therapy. She has decided to form a youth team for the relay for life in May.I saw her today and she says her hair is beginning to grow back but she just wants is back soon..i told her she would be surprised at how quickly it will begin to come back.She still looks awfully pale to me but she is getting better little by  little.

I think all of us from what i am reading are all dealing with issues with pain in some way or another. It's frustrating some days to know that it will be a part of my life from now on. I guess the thing i get frustrated with the most is that people don't understand that once the surgery is over that there are so many permanent changes...I am losing strength in my hand and arm now.I have to be very careful how i pick things up...

We hope to have our car back by Wednesday. I am so looking forward to being able to drive my own car again. We have been borrowing the in-laws Rav4 and it's way too small for me. I just hope that the re-built transmission holds up for a long time. Can't afford anything new.

I hope that everyone has a great week. I am so thankful for each and every one of you!

Love and HUGS

Lisa

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2010
    Options

Afternoon girls,

Seems we are all recuperating from last years monumental  physical and mental changes..I miss my old self my old manufactured hormone self..so I think I may have some idea what you feel like in hormone freefall...Genia, you are getting the two drugs given for Fibromyalgia...they didn't help my absent friend who has it.  I've never taken the newer drugs because I tend to get side effects..Where have all my lost  post gone to here...my hands tremble...fingers etc...pain in my the neck...I hit all my computer in the wrong place and it's gone...I get pissed and get up and stompp around my room like a 129 year of gal. 

Robin..I'm sorry about your friend...Cancer sux...seems there is so much of it recently or maybe not...maybe just more media exposure. 

Genia  I'm with  you and the no sleeping...arrrr

I think a Rheumatologist could be a help especially with intractable  muscle joint pain... diagnoses  check etc...blood work specific for RA and other autoimmune disorders only know about by Rheumys...

I miss driving and I love Rapid Transit...

NYC school system announced NO SCHOOL tomorrow...That's  very unusal...must be a hella snow storm coming...our Mayor just came on my telly 

love you all

mina 

• Springtime
    edited February 2010
    Options

Genia, so you have been off the AI for a couple of weeks and no let up in the pain? Hmmm. 

Jane, Yay on your numbers.

I am just numb. I have a friend at church, and her Mom, was dx'd about 6 months after me, and we became friends and were supporting each other. So she's about at the year mark. She did chemo, surgery, rads. Hair started growing back just recently. Yesterday I found out she has 4 tumors in her brain and they are inoperable - apparently last week she was having trouble talking and then fell down. I guess then they scanned her. Maybe they will radiate them, I am not sure. I called her in the hospital and all I did was cry and she cried, not sure I did much good. She said they told her she had 6-12 months. She's coming home today. She's in her 60s. I am so mad. I am so sad! 

I a so tired of this. I just want to kill something. SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM. 

Sorry to be such a bummer. I just don't know what do do. I feel like there was a reason God put us together, that we became friends, and now this.  I guess I have some searching to do. ugh.

Hope you all are well with the additional snow coming. Just gray and rain here in NC.... 

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

I have just finished reading the last couple of pages of posts; there seems to be a lot of pain and sadness around most of the group at the moment. I am very sorry for each of you and send my warmest feelings for your pain and sadness. Remember that each period of our lives is a season and if you are in winter at the moment, spring will be just around the corner.

We have arrived in Holland and all is well. The air shipment made it too and so did our lovely dog.  We are in transit accommodation and I have spent most of my time house hunting. My youngest son is happily settled back into school and still has lots of friends from before. My oldest son came to visit us and help to settle us in.  I have met so many lovely people that I knew before, some knew about my cancer, some did not. Most people don't know what to say, and given that I look perfectly normal and fit, it's not a topic we dwell on. I am doing really well, I feel good to be back and am trying not to think about my old friends back in Singapore too often.

I meet my new oncologist on Friday, I am praying that she is nice.  I joined the gym yesterday and am aching today.  Apart from my usual aches i am doing well, no pain to speak of, but I will stay that it is freeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing over here. That will take a bit of getting used to.

I won't comment on each of your lives and pains, but please know that I am thinking of you all individually and sending healing, calming positive vibes.  All will be well and this will all pass. My mission is to help support each and every one of you and anyone who has walked down this awful path.  Also to enjoy each moment that I can and appreciate all around me. Thanks for all your good wishes, I am glad you are still there.

Singapore Chris x

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited February 2010
    Options

chris- glad to hear you are settling in a little and meeting some new/old friends.

I do appreciate your support and i think we all rely on your wisdom to put things into perspective for us.It breaks my heart every time i hear about a new cancer dx- heard another one today- however- i have become a little hardened to the fact that cancer will keep stealing loved ones from us and i know that one day it could be me everyone is talking about again. It's not that i look forward to going but i just know now that it could very well be sooner than i had expected. We have to try to keep our heads up...celebrate today and hope for the best.

Spring- sometimes crying WITH someone is a wondeful support because they know how much you love them. I pray that God gives you the wisdom to minister to her.

Mina- stay warm and safe!

Love to all

• Juli50
    edited February 2010
    Options

Chris - Good to see your smiling face again! Stay warm!

Spring - Scream as loud as you want here. We hear ya. Life is really unfair when you go through chemo, surgery and rads and then find out you are going to die anyway. Sux sux sux...

Jane & Genia - We will be together in an ocean view room! I booked today during my lunch break at my all day appraisal seminar. I had to get up at 5:45 am and didn't get home till 6 pm...long day. And I'm typing another report tonight. But, hey, work is good. :)

hugs Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    edited February 2010
    Options

Your girls are going to have such fun on your trip!!!

More snow today and driving is awful. Stay warm everyone.

Singapore Chris x

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2010
    Options

And ....I get to see you  girls  in August and hang  out with you in our  NYC.

Diane Von Furstenberg is on GMA chatting with Robin who looks wonderful post Breast Cancer. I wore Diane's  wrap dress years ago when she was married to  the Prince .She divorced  him and became who she is today, with some time off or mothering. I admire her: she is a fighter, smart, compassionate. and empathetic to many people and causes.

.She and her group of friends have raised nearly 1 million dollars for Haiti  by selling her T-shirts.

My  dearest friends, Cancer has chilled me out considerably. My laptop fell to the floor  at 0300 and is a mess. It sounds like a  noisy subway but not as loud...recovery of some documents and pics is ongoing. YIKES!. 

love you all,

Mina 

xcuse typos and awful  grammar... was up all night...my son is not well...and needed me last night.  He's asleep now so I will lie down and catch a few zzzzs

xoxoxo

Mina 

• Springtime
    edited February 2010
    Options

Oh YAY on you girls and the CRUISE!! Ocean View room!!! Wonderful!!! 

Thank you Chris for your wise words. I am glad everyone, all your stuff, and the doggie made it to Holland! Wonderful your son already has taken back up with his old buddies.

Mina! Hey girlie!! Have you figured out the new FB? It's messing with my game efficiency!!! LOL.

Genia, thinking of you. How you be girl? How you Jane? 

• Jane_M
    edited February 2010
    Options

I am SOOO excited to be sharing a room with Genia AND Juli!!! 80 days and counting!!! I can't wait.  I have been off the Femara for a little over a week, but nothing has changed.  I also started taking OPC.  It was my onc's idea to stop the Femara, I would have tried to tough it out, but he said it didn't make sense to take 2 pain pills to counteract the effects of 1 pill. So, we'll see how that goes.

I called in to work today because we are supposed to have a blizzard and right now we only have a dusting. Boy, do I feel stupid.  Oh, well....I stayed in bed until 11. lol.  I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my CPAP for my sleep apnea.  I am more bothered by the fatigue than anything else.  

• Juli50
    edited February 2010
    Options

Jane - What is OPC? I hope it is something that helps!

I just received the actual report from my echo and it says my ejection fraction is 40. huh? The technician told me it was 42. Bummer! At least it didn't go down, but I was hoping to see some improvement since September. I need to exercise, duh! Guess that will have to wait till the stinging goes away.

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited February 2010
    Options

OPC is an isotonic supplement - kind of a vitamin/mineral blend. 

• SingaporeChris
    edited February 2010
    Options

Happy Chinese New Year ladies!,Good Health, Happiness and lots of money coming your way.

Love Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited February 2010
    Options

Happy Chinese New Year!!! 

• SingaporeChris
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

I met my new oncol today and I am relieved to say, she is very nice. She says as my cancer was lobular and the MRI didn't find it, she wants to me to have a mamogram and ultra sound in 6 months.  She has also given me some calcium as Aromasin does leach the bones.  that's that over no appointments until September now!  Yay Yay Yay.

Good luck to everyone else hope you can all be appointment free like me.

Take Care Singapore Chris xx