Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited December 2009

I tried to gag them down Jane...lol.  I was expecting them to taste like raisins.....but they didn't.  You would have laughed your head off if you had seen me.......I was gagging so hard!  I got two down.....but that's all I could stomach.   Are there different kinds?

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited December 2009

Hi Girls,

Happy New Year!

We have just returned from a few days away with the family, it was lovely. So good to have my boys with me.  They all go back to the UK within the next few days, but as we move to holland within 4 weeks, I am not so sad, as it's really close.

Jane, I love your idea of finding 2010 things to be thankful for! Your cruise sounds like fun, I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Genia, sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, you have had such a rough ride, it's just not fair.  Hope your dr comes up with something good for you.

Brandonmon, I know what you mean about kidding yourself that any pain is not the meds, as we really don't want it to be.  I am doing really well on Aromasin, but my joints did hurt on tamoxafen. It seem quite normal for people to try all three AL's, so I think you girls should keep trying if you can.

We are having some friends over for a NY eve dinner tonight, so I am busy getting ready. Hope you all spend the evening having fun!

Happy New Year, Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2009

Genia, I totally am with you, that is no quality of life that you are describing. Also, I wonder if the other 2 AIs would be any different -- the body pains, that is.... Let us know what happens when you talk to your OCN. I would love to know....

I have a friend who tried Femerra, and turned from a happy smilely lady into a sad, crying person, and one night, she had thoughts of suicide. They took her off it, and I am not sure she wants to try another AI either!!! But they mentioned there were "others she could try".

Happy New Year everyone! 

Genia and Jane, what is the BC survivors cruise?? Do tell...

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2009

Genia,

I think I'm in the exact same boat as you.  When I get out of the car, I have to stop and really prepare myself for getting out. Sometimes at home I forget how much it is going to hurt and I just stand up like I normally would, and then end up screaming in pain.

My onc also said there are other things to try, but then I've spoken to some women that said it got better over time, and by over time, 6 months or more.  Some days are better than others.  He also said when he put me on this med, that it was the best available for me, so I keep reminding myself of that.  I'm optimistic that as I start back exercising and losing weight, it will help.  For my shoulder pain, I found that bending over and letting my arms swing like a pendulum really helps the pain.  I need to do this for my son.  I'm all he has got, so I gotta keep going!

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited December 2009

Amoena and Breast Cancer Wellness Magazine sponsor a 7 day, 6 night Breast Cancer Survivor Cruise.  Apparently, this is their 4th year.  It is May 2-8, 2010 on Carnival Freedom.  It leaves from Fort Lauderdale, Fl and goes to Key West, Cayman Islands and Jamaica.  An interior room is $588 per person - that's less than $100 per day and includes everything.  Genia and I are sharing a room.  In addition to the week's cruise, they give out goodie bags and they have speakers - The keynote speaker is Suzie Humphreys, a breast cancer survivor.  Amoena is also sponsoring talks by Dr. Ken Miller of the Lance Armstrong Foundation Cancer Survivorship Clinic, Sherry Lebed-Davis, co-founder of Healthy Steps and Courtney Bugler, Atlanta Young Survival Coalition.  I got all the info from http://www.breastcancerwellness.org/cruise.html.  I can't wait to meet Genia in person!  It also sounds like it is going to be a great cruise!  I'd love to see more people from bc.org go.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited January 2010

Sam - Good to hear from you!

Happy and healthy New Year to all!

We are going to a bowling party in an hour to celebrate with my family (10 of us).

Sorry to hear about all the pain! I'm still only taking 10 mg of Tamox and after 3 1/2 months, no side effects yet (knock on wood!).

I've been busy reading The Twilight Saga books since Saturday, 3 down, 1/2 of #4 to go. I have the week off so I'm taking advantage of the time to actually be able to read a book instead of a magazine.

I'm going to look into going on that cruise. Sounds like a blast!

hugs Kiss

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

My son wants me to go on the cruise and will help me out money-wise. So if any of you would like to be my "roomie", send me a PM here, on FB, or email. Laughing

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010

Juli - that would be great!!! C'mon....somebody else join in!

• SingaporeChris
    edited January 2010

Hi Girls,

I thought about coming on the cruise when it was first mentioned, but it is my husbands 50th birthday on 8th may and we have already booked a big party in England.  I am sure someone else will jump at the chance and you will all have a wonderful time.

Singapore Chris x

• SingaporeChris
    edited January 2010

Hi Juli,

Sorry I forgot to say, how wonderful for you and what lovely sons you have.

Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

Thanks, Chris, you will have to join us in spirit. We will take lots of pics!

hugs Kiss

• Genia
    edited January 2010

Oh Juli....I'm so glad you are going!!!  This is gonna be sooo much fun meeting you and Jane.  And HEY....we MIGHT just find that Cabana boy!  lol

Well today made day five without any Aromasin and I'm hurting like crazy still.  I had two more herceptin to go......and I told them I am DONE with them.  I'll still get my lupron shot.......and am willing to try something else.  I wonder if he would give me 10mgs of Tamox instead of the 20 to see if maybe I could tolerate it better.  I think the Tamox was a little easier on my bones than the Aromasin has been.

love you girls

• Springtime
    edited January 2010

Juli, let me look into those dates, May 2-8... I want to check out this cruise! I will get back to you. I want to check dates and with DH. It does sound so fun though! Would be nice to "know" some other ladies to start off, and I'm sure we'd meet a slew of people....

Genia, if you go back to Tamox 10mg, you don't have to do the Lupron shots either. And it may take a few weeks for the AI to get out of your system. I bet by 2 -3 weeks you'll notice a difference. My friend did, but they told her it would take 6 weeks to be totally gone. (!!!!) I guess it takes a while to build up too. I also have heard, like Colleen said, that some women find the bone or joint pain lessens with time, but your case sounds severe (as with everything Genia!!!!!) You have not had one friggin break through this whole thing!!! 

Spring...  love you girls!  

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

Spring - it would be great if we could be roomies on the cruise! I'm having a hard time finding a flight that gets in early enough on the 2nd. I may have to leave here at midnight and hang out at the airport in Florida all morning. Undecided

Finished all the Twilight books in 1 week! Now I can have a life again! lol

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010

I'll be hanging out in the airport pretty early, too, but I'm not leaving at midnight.  I think my flight leaves at 8 AM and is a 2 hour flight.

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

Jane - Love the hair! We can find each other in the airport and hang out together till it's time to shuttle over to the port!

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010

120 days - not that I'm counting... Now that you're coming, too, I can add to my gratitude list for 2010.  I'm up to 104!!!

• SingaporeChris
    edited January 2010

Hi Girls,

How wonderful for you all to meet, take lots of photos and have a wonderful time.

Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

I bought my airline tickets to Florida today...now I need a roomie. Laughing

hugs Kiss

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited January 2010

it sounds heavenly. I sooo wish i could go...i guess i will be another that will be with you in spirit.

Have a great day ladies!!!

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010

Juli - What time does your flight get in?

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

Jane - 7:15 am! I'm flying on Spirit Airlines.

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited January 2010

I'll be another one with you in spirit!

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010

My flight arrives in Fort Lauderdale at 11:17 AM.

Genia - Do you think any of your SEs are from the Lupron injections?  I looked up the SEs today and some of them sound like what you described to me the other day....flu-like symptoms, arthralgia, etc. 

• Springtime
    edited January 2010

Jules, I can't go.... I had to do a detailed analysis of my vacation time today... I don't have enough vacation time this year to fit it in as it's a whole week (which will be glorious, I am sure!). I am signed up for a Breast Cancer survivor's Yoga retreat in Aug... and I already paid the deposit... 

Maybe you could post a topic on BC.ORG about roomies hooking up? Also, Is there not some way to hook up with other ladies on the cruise who need roomies? 

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

Spring - Sorry you can't go. Cry  I will check another thread I'm on.

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited January 2010

We could always check with the travel agency about getting a room for 3!  It would be like a pajama party! 

• Juli50
    edited January 2010
    Jane - that sounds like fun! Laughing I'll let you know if I don't get any response from the girls in the other thread.
  • Genia
    edited January 2010

I should warn you........I SNORE!  There may be a woman overboard by day 2!!!  

I thought of the Lupron injections too.  I didn't take mine this month.  I wanted to wait and see what the Dr. wants to do as far as changing meds.  All I know is before I will feel like I have felt for the past two weeks.......I won't take anything at all.  It's just not worth it to have this quality of life!!!  I didn't feel this bad taking chemo.....and I'm dead serious!!!   Food just tasted horrible on chemo and it doesn't now.  But the overall feeling of wellbeing was better on chemo.  This is just awful!!!

Love ya girls.....it's my bedtime.......4:30 am  Frown 

• Juli50
    edited January 2010

Awww Genia - big hugs! I hope you can try going back on Tamox, but only 10 mgs. I've heard it is supposed to be easier than the AI's. All I get are hot flashes, which I was already having.

I remembered that you mentioned snoring before, so I was already planning on bringing ear plugs if I was going to be sharing a room with you two. LOL I'll bring some for Jane too. So don't worry, no "woman" overboard!

hugs Kiss