Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited May 2010

As Genia and Juli said, the cruise was AMAZING!  I'm already pre-booked for next year's cruise.  It was unbelievable how we just "jelled" like we've known each other forever.  We had the greatest table for dinner.  We laughed so much the last night, people thought we were drunk, but we were as sober as could be!  The horseback riding was amazing!  369 days until next year's cruise!  I have booked a balcony room for next year.  If anybody wants to room with me, they just have to let Shelly know when they book.  The down-payment is $250.  The room is $620 per person, but that is based on double occupancy.  If we put 4 in the room, it would prob only be $500 per person.  That's less than $50 a month between now and then!

They keynote speakers were funny and relevant!  There was a doctor who gave a talk on Choices in Breast Cancer Treatment and we all got a copy of his book.  We had a pink party and Juli and I did some dancing.  My feet are killing me from the walking, dancing and airport dragging, but it was worth it!

Now, back to the grind!  I have to go to CVS tonight to get my photos developed.  I will try to post on FB tonight, too.

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited May 2010

I am so glad that you all had so much fun.  Lately I've been having nightmares about it coming back.  I think I need a break from talking and thinking of breast cancer so much.  I love you all, but may be a little distant for a little while.

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited May 2010

Spring.....I HATE(D) flying.  Going down wasn't so bad, but I was still terrified.  Coming back was a different story.  I got held up in security because I forgot and put a can of hairspray and a tube of toothpaste in my carry on.  We had to leave our checked baggage in the hallway the night before we left the cruise ship so they could pick them up.  I left everything out that I would need the next morning.  Not thinking that the hairspray or toothpaste wouldn't pass security because of it's size (in my carry on bag)  So I almost missed my flight.  They called my name for "last call" to board the plane.  I had to almost run to get on board.  Then when I got on there....I just felt totally out of sync.  Take off wasn't bad, but in mid air I started having a panic attack.  I thought sure I would freak out.  lol  I chewed two ativan, but by the time they kicked in we were almost there.  We hit really bad turbulence when we were trying to land and I thought sure we were gonna crash.  I was scared.  But I made it....and was glad to feel my feet on the ground.  I don't think you will ever hear the words "I love flying" come out of my mouth.  hahaha

I would love to see ALL of you next year!!!

• Genia
    edited May 2010

Jane and Juli....I forgot to tell you both that I took a fluid pill when I got home and I've lost 10 pounds of fluid.  No wonder my feet and legs looked like tree trunks!  lol.......I sure am getting around a little easier too.  I had no idea I was packing that much fluid around and still can't figure out WHY I retained it like I did.  Talk about feeling like a blimp!!!  ;))

I miss you both so much.......  :(

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

The flying sounds trying Genia!! but you did it! And sounds like you will do it again if you need to! 

Colleen, I totally understand -- we all need a break, do what you need to do. We won't forget you!

I am glad you all had a wonderful Cruise! Three Breast-cateers!!! LOL !!! 

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited May 2010

Hi Girls

Just back from England an hour ago and had to check in to see how everyone got on during the cruise.  I am so happy to hear you all had such fun. You laying there in bed giggeling at night, made me thing of my days in boarding school as a teenager, what fun.

Genia, flying along will cause fluid build up, I get it in my ankles, but it goes away naturally with one day of landing. Spring I do have a sleeve, but somehow it got left in the sea shipment so I couldn't use it on the way over and i was fine.

Colleen, I know how you feel, my couple of weeks has passed and I am fine again, but like Spring said, do what feel like the best thing for you. Let us know if you need anyone to talk to, you can always pm any of us.

I am looking forward to seeing lots of photos of the three breast-cateers!

My husbands party was wonderful, everything went like clockwork, everyone came, from all over the place even the middle east. Our whole week was so relaxing and we really enjoyed our Hot air balloon flight!  What a view, it was amazing.

Take Care Girls, Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited May 2010

Chris - So good to hear you had a great time. Hot air ballon ride! Wow! I can't even imagine!

hugs Kiss

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited May 2010

Jane TY for that beautiful card...Howdy  everyone,

I've been awfully sick  wishing I were anyplace else but my body. Went to see Robin Hood last night  and had fun...I may have  Lymphedema though I hope not but my arm underarm is starting to swell  is painful to move and that sucks because it's my dominate arm...my Onc is evaluating it and I'm having a Mammo and US soon...will see what's up then. 

who knows? 

Chris, your hot air balloon sounds fantastic. I would love it though I am not one for heights.:)

I would like to play here more often but  I fear  I can't.... FB is more than I can handle for now...

mina 

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

Chris, Welcome home! Sounds like things went really well for you. Ditto what Juli and Mina said - WOW on the hot air balloon ride!! Was it scary?? 

Mina, I am sorry you are not feeling well.... You're really been through the ringer.

Jane, thank you for the card! Mine is funny, maybe we got different ones, not sure. Mine says, "I've been to HELL and back". I thought -- HOW APPROPRIATE!! We all have, haven't we?? with our treatment and after shock! But apparently, it's because it came from Devil's Hangout, Grand Cayman, BWI!!!  

• SingaporeChris
    edited May 2010

Hi Girls,

Spring and Mina, the lymphadema sounds awful, sleeping in tight fitting anything won't be much fun, I really hope it goes away for good.

The hot air balloon was a tiny bit scary, when I was in the basket that was on it';s side and the burners were shooting hot air into the balloon to blow it up, it was very close to my head and the noise was a bit disconcerting. We were seated for take off and then as soon as the basket was upright we could stand up, it wasn't scary at all after that, just amazing. landing as a little scary as I was expecting a big bump and to be dragged along the ground in the basket, but although we did tip a little, it was slow and kind of soft as we landed in a field of ploughed up soil.

I have been struggeling with a bad cough for about 3 weeks now and was trying not to go to the Dr's, I just wanted to get through the party, but it is worse now and I may have a chest infection, so I am off to see the Dutch Dr tomorrow.  Will keep you posted.

I have a talk to give to the Business Womens Initiative on Thursday everning about focusing scattered energy, so I must feel good by then, as I would hate to cancel at short notice.

Hope the cruise girls are recovering and getting back into normal life, full of energy and memories to carry them on. Hope the rest of you are doing well and enjoying each day the best you can.

Take care my dear friends. Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    edited May 2010

Mina....hope you get that swelling down soon sweetie.  I know how miserable it can make you.  Been there done that!

Chris....the hot air balloon sound wonderful, altho I would pass.  My fear of heights is really BAD.  I did good to fly in an airplane, and then almost freaked out coming home.  I hope you get your cough straightened out soon.  Please let us know how you are doing.

I woke up to a BIG surprise this morning and now I'm VERY concerned.  I am SPOTTING.....like a period spotting.  Nothing major but it's still there.  Which explains a LOT of my mood swings lately......right Juli and Jane????  The bloating and swelling....all makes sense now.  I'm not taking any kind of AI or Tamox.....and now I'm very worried because I know a period is NOT a good thing when you are ER+.  I sent my Onco and email and I'm waiting to hear from her.

Love you girls!!!

• SingaporeChris
    edited May 2010

Genia, I wouldn't worry too much, most of my friends and I, have all have spotting, it is usually due to a hormone inbalance and nothing to worry about.  Remember that lots of people who have chemo then go on to have children, so it doesn't necessarily mean any bad news. I had to have a D & C to clear out the uterus, but was completely fine afterwards.  Better safe than sorry, so it is good that you are seeing your oncol anyway.

Just got my devil card, thanks girls.

Singapore chris x

• SingaporeChris
    edited May 2010

Hi Girls,

I have just come back from the Drs and I have bronchitis, I have some antibiotics and an inhaler, so I should recover pretty fast now.  I am just about to steam my head, not my favorite activity, but the Dr said it would help. Apart from that I am fine.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Singapore chris x

• Jane_M
    edited May 2010

Chris - Sorry about the bronchitis, but it's good that you've got some antibiotics to take before it turns into something more serious like pneumonia.

I'm doing my colonoscopy prep tonight - yummy!

Remember, gals, the first 3 of you that call Shelly at Great Southern Travel get to stay with me in my balcony room next year!

• Genia
    edited May 2010

Hope you get those antibiotics in your system and start feeling better Chris.  Jane....I can't plan that far ahead, because I don't know how the money situation will be.   Wish I could, but for now that's life.  How much would it be per person, Jane?

The spotting is gone..and I'm back on the Tamox.  I'm trying to get in to see my GYN, but it's hard to get through to get an appt.  His line is ALWAYS busy.  I think they take their phones off the hook if they get covered up so they won't have to answer them.

love you all

• Juli50
    edited May 2010

Genia - I hope you are starting at 10 mg of Tamox or at least splitting it into 10 mg in the morning and 10 mg at night. :)

Jane - my son is graduating college on 5/21, the last day of the cruise. :( 

Chris  - Glad you will be on the mend now. :)

hugs Kiss

• Springtime
    edited May 2010
    Hi all you cuties. Look at Genia with her Cabana Boy!!! It came true!! LOL.
    Chris hope you feel better. 
    I have a head cold! I hate it! ugh. 
  • Jane_M
    edited May 2010

Genia - the deposit is $250 pp and the balcony room that I got will prob be about $600 pp if we have 4 in the room.  Remember, the balance won't be due until Feb.  It's cheaper for an ocean view or an inside room.  If Judy wants to go, I don't know if both of you will want to room with me or get a room for just the 2 of you.

Juli - It's not going to be the same without you!!!!

• Jane_M
    edited May 2010

I forgot to post - my colonoscopy was normal.  I don't have to go back for 5 years.

• Genia
    edited May 2010

Yaaay for a clean colonoscopy!!!

Yea...I was thinking Judy will probably go with me.  So it's hard to know what to do at this  point.  I'll prob go visit her this weekend so I can talk to her then about it all.

• Genia
    edited May 2010

Beverly.....isn't our Cabana Boy a dream!!!  He would be SO proud to know that not only did he make it on Facebook (he kept jumping up and down saying "I'm gonna be on Facebook") but also on HERE. 

• Juli50
    edited May 2010

I wish every BC survivor could go on this cruise for free. It was such a wonderful experience and y'all deserve to go. I just uploaded 100 pictures to the Kodak website, so if any of you who didn't get my email and would like to see them, send me a PM with your address. I am having all these pics printed and put in an album, because I cherish every minute I spent with Jane and Genia and want to remember them forever.

love you all! xoxox

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

Yay Jane on the clean colonoscopy!!!

Genia, yes your Cabana boy made FB and BC.org! Woooo!!! :)  He does look like a cutie. Who knew back then when we were joking about Cabana boys that you, Genia, would end up here in a picture with one!! ha!!!! LOL.

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited May 2010

Genia- glad you found your cabana boy!!

Jane- great news on the colonoscopy!

Chris- drink lots of water to help loosen that stuff up and feel better soon. Strep is going around here and I don't want it!!

Mina- hope you are feeling better.

We found out yesterday that FIL's prostate cancer is back. He is doing chemo pills and they will do CT and bone scan next week...

I go for onco next week and several appts on June 10th....that's when we will find out about the port. I am hoping for a non eventful visit to the onco like colleen had!!

I wish we could all go on a cruise today!!! It would be so awesome.

Have a great weekend girls...im going to spend some time under the covers!!

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

Hi All, Lisa sorry about your FIL, good luck with your appts!

I had a Zometa infusion Friday... no body aches this time. (time 1 ok, time 2 hurt!, this time fine again??) Anyway, I'll take it! 

• SingaporeChris
    edited May 2010

Hi Girls,

Juli, the pics are wonderful, I can't beleive the cabana boy thing came true, it just goes to show, the more you focus on something the more likely you are to get it!! You all looked like you were having a wonderful time, It is truely fantastic that you managed to meet each other after such a long time.  The internet has it's pitfalls, but it is also such a benefit to lots of us.

Lisa, sorry to hear about your FIL, hope the treatment goes well.

Spring, glad the zometa went well, nobody wants that achy bone feeling.

Jane, good results !

After almost a week, I don't seem to be getting any better, so i will be back to the Drs Tuesday as we have a public holiday here tomorrow.  I will give my oncol a call too, just to let her know.

I have lost almost my entire big toenail, no reason, it just lifted as usual, then came off, no pain, but it is not looking at it's best. I felt my little fingernail start to lift too yesterday, I have nail varnish on at the moment so I can't see, but I know it has happened.  It doesn't bother me except as a reminder that I am still under the influence of that nasty chemo.

We had wonderful weather this weekend, so I have just been sitting in the shade trying to recover from my cough thing.

Take care ladies, Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    edited May 2010

Beverly - your head cold all gone? I hope you are feeling better.

Chris - I can't stand that you are still having nail issues. Enough already! And your cough needs to go away pronto!

I want everyone to feel better. Jane, wave your magic wand, please! Laughing

hugs Kiss

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

I can't believe you are having these nail issues again Chris!!! What Juli said!  My goodness!! I agree, these things are just a reminder of the treatment we've been through. 

Yes, Julie, my head cold is gone!  Yay! And no Zometa after-effects this time! Double Yay! I've had three so far (6 months apart) and only #2 was a bear. Isn't that funny? hmmm.  

• Juli50
    edited May 2010

Beverly - I'm hoping Zometa #2 was a fluke. Laughing

hugs Kiss

• Genia
    edited May 2010

Chris....bless your poor nails girl!!!  WHEN will it all end.  NEVER in my wildest dreams did I imagine chemo side effects would last this long.  Hopefully, we are nearing the end of them......sure hope so!

Glad you're feelin better Beverly.  Also glad the Zometa didn't hurt you this time.

Jules....I miss you and Jane so MUCH!!!  Meeting you two just makes it harder not seeing you.  Sure wish I liked to fly....you would have a visitor!  lol....so would Jane.  Lucky YOU TWO!!!!!  hahahaha

I'm feelin better.  Yaaay....thanks to Jane's Excedrin remedy.  I'm no longer on ANY pain meds except the Excedrin and Alleve at night.  I'm back on the Tamox, too.  I got scared when I started the spotting.  I don't need my hormones soaring at this time in my life.  So far....no side effects except for the hot flashes being worse, but I'll take that.  I can turn my fan on.  My bone issues seem to be getting better.  Thank God for that.  I'm planning a diet and some weight loss soon.  I'm also gonna go to the gym and start working out some.  Not sure how much I can tolerate, but every little bit helps.

Lotsa love...