Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2010
    Options

TY Spring and Chris, I need a STOP SIGN badly  and I will use it now!

Chris, love your profile pic!

love you sisters...

mm 

TY you all so much for all your kindness... 

mm 

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Spring, fantastic news you can live your life too now! I had never heard that rads lowered the while count, some of these guys just go around frightening people.  I am going to write and complain about my rads guy here in Holland, it is not his job to frighten me.  I will wait until i have all my test over though. What we need is support and understanding not fear, Maybe this letter might spare some other poor women in the future.

Spring what is your white count? My oncol didn't even give me a blood test, I wonder what information I could have gained and if it mattered.  When I was first diganoised my whilte count was above 7, so even thought it was very high, it didn't fight cancer, only infections.

I now have a nice rain coat, but it is also warm, so not sure if I will boil too, I will find out today.

Have a great day girls!

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Chris and all you ladies! HI Miss Mina! 

I was telling my husband I just don't like going for my ONC appts. I'm fine while there, but afterwards, it just has stirred up a lot of old stuff. I feel better today, so it was only day of the appt., so maybe that's not bad. Husband was asking me if I should consider changing ONCs, and I just don't know if that would matter. I'll keep thinking on it.

Chris, My white count was also in the 7's before treatment. Boy, our bodies were strong, but you're right, also we had cancer. ugh. My white count now 3.1, and 4.0 is the low end of the "normal" range.  My Red count is 3.5 and 4.2 is the low end of the normal range. My hemoglobin is 11.8, and 12 is the low end of normal. This is the one that concerned her the most, believe it or not. She was saying that a women in menopause (not losing blood each month) should be higher.

But there is nothing I can do but wait it out. OH - she mentioned I should check to see if some of the vitamins and supplements I take could lower the counts. I think this is ridiculous. I have been blasted with chemo and radiation, and she herself said 20% of women will have low counts for years because of the hit to the bone marrow from both of those things - the cummulative impact is just too much. To suggest vitamins are doing this is crazy. That's what I think anyway. Will talk about it though with my Osteopath when I see her next month. I am sure it will make her bananas! 

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2010
    Options

Spring, just so you know, I'm now 47 and went into chemo about 2 years ago with my period.  Then with chemo it almost instantly went away.  By instantly I mean I was having my period when I got my first round of chemo, and the next day it stopped.  I had one more little period about a month after that, and then nothing.  My doctor still started me on Femara a year ago.  So I would not have even been one year past chemo when he started me on Femara. He did test my estrogen, just to make sure, and it confirmed I was in menopause.  So, I guess what I am saying is that there seems to be a differing of opinion on when to start Femara.  My onc said Femara has been shown to have a better effect on my particular type of breast cancer, so that may have also played into it. I have to say, my onc is just wonderful, so I trust him completely. 

Chris, still waiting to here the results of your test. I know everything will be fine, but just need to know when to get that cupcake to celebrate!

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Spring, if you really don't like your oncol, change, but you may find it is the subject that upsets you not the oncol, I admit it seems a bit extreme to think that vitamins would lower your counts, can't believe that myself. From what I hear a lot of oncols, don't like to say that chemo is responsible for any of the side effects, when we all know they are.  If you oncol is worried about your hemoglobin why hasn't she given you any iron? 11.8 is so close anyway, it's probably not necessary. As long as you are not getting sick on a regular basis, I would try to put it out of your mind, but I do know how you feel, I have had all sorts of things brought up to the surface again this last week, things I had moved on from.  I suppose we just have to TRY and get used to the fact that this talk is all part of life now.

I have my MRI on Thursday next week, then I get the results the following Wednesday 29th.  It is my birthday the day before, so I will be celebrating anyway, but would have been nice to know earlier. Just have to be patient. Get the cup cakes ready!

I am going to a "feel at home in the Hauge fair" tomorrow, I will be there will my "Lifeline" English Speaking Cancer Support Group, I hope to come across some people who would benefit from spending time with others in a similar situation as me. It will of course be support for me too eventually.

Have a good weekend girls.

Love Singapore Chris x

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris- I admire you so much. Kepp your head up and we are all wishing for good results.

Spring- I know this has been a difficult thing. I am like Colleen that chemo knocked me into meno instantly..had one in Sept then nothing more. I have been fortunate to never have a low hemoglobin and I think it's because i am a stubborn beef eater!!! LOL I am sorry that the numbers are still low. I wish you the best of luck in finding answers.

Girls I hope you all have a super weekend and thanks for being here 2 yrs for support and encouragment.

Love to all!

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2010
    Options

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy chemoversary. We've come a long way in 2 years!

Love you all. hugs Kiss

• bettysgirl
    edited September 2010
    Options

Happy chemoversary Juli! We have all come so far from Sept. of 08. Somedays it seems like a distant memory and other days like just yesterday.

We hope to escape this weekend for a belated anniversary trip and to just get away..Love you all and hope you have a great weekend.

Chris- still praying!

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Wow 2 years. Glad to have met all you "sisters" for the journey! :)

• Juli50
    edited September 2010
    Options

Beverly - I feel very lucky to have such wonderful "sisters" in my life.You are all so amazing and so special. xoxox 

I am leaving for Montana in the morning to see my bff and surprise her daughter at her 13th birthday party at 4 pm. My plane gets in at 2:30 pm. I couldn't mention any of this on FB because we want it to be a surprise. I'm very excited because I didn't think I was going to make it to Montana this year. I'll be back Tuesday night. Laughing

Have a great weekend everyone!

hugs Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Happy Chemoversary girls, it really has been a blessing to have you all here, especially as I moved from one side of the world tomorrow, and you were always there, thanks so much.!

Juli have a wonderful party!

I had my MRI Thursday, all went well, Spring I made sure I was really hydrated which I think helped with the inserting of the IV. this was my most pleasant MRI to date, I was relaxed and the time passed very quickly.  Although everyday for two weeks before it was on my mind. 

Let's hope the results are as good. Funny thing is, I asked for a copy of the MRI films to add to my collection and they arrived on CD today, but my appointment with the oncol is not until Wednesday, I know that they have not done the report yet, but it is a bit scary knowing I COULD look at the disc myself, which of course I WON'T.  I remember one of this group looking and finding some bright stops and thinking the worst, when of course it is not always the case that a bright spot means something bad. 

It is all a test of strength, and we have an enormous amount of that betweens us!

Have a good weekend sisiters, Love Singapore Chris xx

• Juli50
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris - Happy Birthday to you!  Happy Birthday to you!  Happy Birthday Dear Chris!  Happy Birthday to you! (Hope you don't mind it was a little off key) and many more!!!!!

hugs Kiss

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Happy Birthday Chris! Enjoy your day! We will be thinking of you tomorrow for the ONC appt.

Have fun Jules!  
  • SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, I have had a wonderful day, my husband took the morning off and we went out and about for breakfast. I then spent the day receiving lots of txts, emails, facebook messages, flowers, cards and gifts. What a great life!

Awaiting MRI results tomorrow at 9am, will keep you posted.

Love Singapore Chris x

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

I have the ALL CLEAR !  Now I can really celebrate!

Thanks for all your support, it really makes a difference.

Love Singapore Chris xx

• bettysgirl
    edited September 2010
    Options

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I hope you celebrate BIG and have a great time dancing with NED!!! Great news!!! Love you!

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!!!! I am so glad you had the MRI though, as I did. Somehow it is nice to know it's all clear! After all we've been through. CONGRatulations! 

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2010
    Options

Sorry I've been MIA for so long.  I didn't have internet until yesterday, but I've been purposely staying away from here as much as possible.  I was doing more harm than good by coming to the site, because I couldn't stay away from the bad news.

We got moved.....bout killed me all the lifting and unpacking.  I still have very few days where I feel halfway decent.  I don't think it's in the cards for me to feel "normal" again.

Love you all.....didn't want you to think I had forgotten ANY of you!  Chris very happy for your good news!  I only read the last page of posts......so if I missed anything please forgive me.

Genia

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited October 2010
    Options

HIPPY SKIPPY!  I'm so glad for your good news, Chris!

• SingaporeChris
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Thanks very much for the continued birthday wished and clear MRI results wishes, I said to my husband, "I am so glad I don't have cancer", he was amazed that I needed to say it out loud. Some things can never be said loud enough!

I had a meeting with some ladies from one of the hospitals here and they have invited me and my English speaking support group to take a table on a breast cancer fair in a couple of weeks, there will be lost of stalls with yoga, and different ways of moving past cancer there, I will be the only English table, so it should be fun and perhpas a little out of my comfort zone.  Will keep you posted. I need to let people know "LifeLine" is here.

Have a great October ladies. Love Singapore Chris xx

• Juli50
    edited October 2010
    Options

Chris - Congrats! Happy dance for you!

Have a great weekend everyone! Kiss

• Springtime
    edited October 2010
    Options

Let us know how it goes, Chris! 

Happy weekend indeed! :) 

• Jane_M
    edited August 2013
    Options

Here's a project I'm thrilled to be a part of!  Beverly Vote, publisher of Breast Cancer Wellness Magazine, has brought together 44 Breast Cancer Thrivers to publish a free e-book.  Below is a link that will take you to the book.  My story is chapter 35.  Enjoy!

www.breastcancerwellness.org/ebook.html

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited October 2010
    Options

Miss you...finding much to do and worry about as usual prior to my Onc visit this Wednesday.

Love to you all. I'm glad we are still NED and here.

Jane, I  love the project.Smile

Mina 

• Springtime
    edited October 2010
    Options

Jane, I like Beverly Vote too. Did you read her "dream" in the latest issue? Challenges us to image a world without breast cancer. It has been interesting for me personally to imagine that! 

Mina, I know what you mean. Hang in there! Check back in after your appt. OH MINA, and any other FB friends. I have been kicked off FB with many others. I get this msg when trying to log in (below). I googled it and there are ppl who have had this for days and days! So not sure when I will be back! I miss my FB games!  

Account Unavailable -
    Your account is temporarily unavailable due to site maintenance. It should be available again within a few hours. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

• SingaporeChris
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Mina, hope all goes well with your appointment today, what is your appointment for, just a check up? Hope it goes well and that you can stop worrying.  It is always difficult just before an appointment.

I have just found out that my immediate neighbour has had breast cancer, and when I informed her about my support group, she was not interested in it at all. She already knew about me from my webstie, as I had given her a business card when we first moved in and she had seen a reference to a "surviving cancer" workshop, she didn't mention it. She has just had two small areas of skin cancer removed from her face this week, and several people in her family have had cancer, her younger sister dided at age 33, so perhaps it is just too painful for her to talk about the subject.  It seems such a shame as I am so close by and can't help her.

We all have to deal with things in our own way and move on either by pretending it didn't happen or whatever it takes for each individual.

Hope you are all doing well, who else is due for an appointment?

Take Care girls, Singapore Chris xx

• Juli50
    edited October 2010
    Options

When I saw my onc in June, she said come back in 6 months. My appt was scheduled for 12/23. This morning I started thinking about my once a year Reclast infusion, which I started last December. I looked it up and saw I had it on 12/9/09, so I called my onc's office and told them I need Reclast in December at my appt, and I'm sure it needs prior authorization. Wonder if she will want me to have a bone density test every year too?

Chris - sorry about your neighbor.

Spring - FB working for you yet?

Mina - how did your onc visit go?

My b/f will be back on Saturday. Laughing for 6 months. Laughing

hugs Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited October 2010
    Options

Juli - Yippee for Gary coming back - winter in Canada, ugh!

I see my onc on 10/25 for follow up and bloodwork before my 11/1 Reclast infusion.  I have a feeling he might send me for a PET scan because I am still having pain in the rib area.  On the other hand, he might just check my tumor markers again and leave it at that. 

Only 211 days until the 5th Annual Breast Cancer Thriver's Cruise!  Joanie and I still have room in our balcony room if anyone wants to join us! 

• bettysgirl
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hey girls!

Juli- Doing a happy dance for you. I know you are looking forward to his visit.

Chris- All you can do is be on the sidelines and just be a friend. I have found that some just don't want any reference to cancer in their lives and they just want to surround themselves with "non-cancer" everything...

Mina- Hope all is well.

Jane- I know you are looking forward to the cruise.. 211 days will be here before we know it.

Spring- Some days I think FB is possesed!..It is turning into one big virus pot I think.

I go to the onco in November...looked on the calendar at work yesterday and saw that it was 5 wks away and almost broke into a sweat!!! BUT it will be what it is...no use wasting time worrying about it....

The girls are busy beavers!!!

Love to all

Lisa

• Springtime
    edited October 2010
    Options

FB is back! Yay!

Chris, some ppl just have different ways of dealing with things. I guess there is no right or wrong, but it does seem a shame about your neighbor. Maybe she will reach out to you in the future. You've done your bit letting her know you are willing and able.

Mina, how did things go at your appt?

I am having a slight surgical revision on my reconstruction end of Oct. Then the final "tattoo" in December. Then I will be done. Yay.

I have my last of 4 (every 6 months) Zometa infusion early December too. Then I wait until May 2011 and have another bone density scan. (Insurance will only pay every 2 years). I guess if I still have Osteopenia, I'll get another 4 infustions. If not, then I guess I'm done?

Oh guess what... my LDL cholesterol (the bad one) dropped from 129 to 87! I think it is the plant based diet, the vigorous exercise, and the nuts. apparently, nuts with skins on them (like walnuts and almonds) lower your bad cholesterol. I was not aware of this but have been eating more nuts when I mostly cut out meat.

Also, and I don't know if this is an anomaly,  but my white count was 4.0 (the lowest of the normal range!) and my red went up to 4.01. This is only 3.5 weeks after having them taken and they were both in the low 3's. So not sure if I am finally gaining ground here, or if that is a strange reading. (I had the blood taken in my GP's office vs. the cancer center). 

Anyway, sending light your way!

Spring.