Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010
    Options

I had an uneventful Rads ONC visit yesterday, same day as Colleen. Since I am not doing mammograms on my recon'd boobs, he suggested a breast MRI. So I'll do that to rule out anything. I remember those getting a really good look at your lymph nodes, and into your chest wall and all, so that will be good. 

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2010
    Options

Spring, thanks for sharing.  I'm going to ask my onc about the recon boob and doing MRI's.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited August 2010
    Options

Colleen & Beverly - yay for uneventful doctor appts! I don't see my onc or cardiologist until next month.

hugs Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Very happy to hear about all the eventful things going on, I hope my visit to my new onco at the beginning of sept is uneventful too.,

One of my very good chemo friends in Singapore Stage 4 has seen a little rise in her markers so please pray for her.

Have a good day ladies

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited August 2010
    Options

Oh I forgot to say. I asked the RADs onc about my low white counts, and he said it is not likely RADS as that would have resolved within like 60 days. He said it could be the Tamoxifen! (Never mentioned by my ONC!!) So I looked up SE's of Tamoxifen, and sure enough! Low white blood cell count (rare, but listed). 

Now I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse!!! Better because I guess my body may have sprung back after all, but bad because I am likely taking something that is sort of hurting my body's well-being! 

So, I have an appt in Sept with my ONC and will ask her about this. I bet she may suggest a move to an AI anyway. No period for 2 years, maybe it is safe now??  

• SingaporeChris
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Spring, I am sorry to hear about your white blood count, what exactly is it at now?  I had no idea that tamox has an effect on it either.  Before your appintment with your oncol, call her and ask if you can have a hormone level test before you see her, so she can discuss it with you when you are there.  As if your levels are low your will be able to swap to an aromatise inhibitor.

One thing that I will be discussing with my onco on 1st Sept is my joints in my fingers. one finger hurts sometimes, but i have been looking at the joints and they are definately not the same, the knuckle on my ring finger on my right hand has become "bigger" I have trouble getting my ring on and it's not relate to weight gain.  I am hoping that it is not arthritis. part of me thinks it will go away when I stop taking aromasin and the other half thinks, will I ever stop and if I do it wil be years down the road. Anyone else got problems with joints?

My friend in Singapore had a CT scan and there are no other sign of the cancer spreading, so she is happy again. She still has a spot on her liver and a lump in her breast, but is being maintained and feels good. She is on tamox and has now been told to have her overaries and womb out.

Jane how are you?

Genia, as i don;t look at facebook very often, I miss you, are you alright?

Take care girls, Singapore Chris x

• Juli50
    edited August 2010
    Options

Chris - sorry to hear about the finger pain. I am still on Tamox and don't have any joint pain.

Genia is without internet right now. I think it's because she is moving.

My newly married son invited me over for a barbeque tomorrow. Guess they are all settled in their new apartment. I didn't even know he got a barbeque! LOL

hugs Kiss

• Springtime
    edited August 2010
    Options

Enjoy the BBQ Juli!!! :)

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

I am off in one hour for my mammogram. The thought of them squashing my poor breast that has had extensive surgery.  I am sure that as it was 2 years ago, it will be alright.  I get the results tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Where is everyone?   Hope you are all well.

Take Care, Singapore Chris x

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2010
    Options

Tired and achy, but hanging in...

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Breast MRI today. Trying to keep hydrated so the IV part goes okay....  I had a dream last night some doc was going over the MRI scan with me pointing out "spots". UGH. I guess even though it doesn't seem to bother me, subconsciously, it really does. :O

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi girls,

I had my mammogaram, they wanted four shots, and then asked me back to look at a particular spot again and have an enlargement of one area. The pain was awful and I ended up in tears and then the radiologist wanted one more shot, then he did a quick ultrasound and found a small spot, he said I was more likely to have a reoccurracnce as I didn't have an amputation!!, I said he was wrong and he shut up.  He said it could be cancer back again on the scar tissue, OR just scar tissue, He took some cello via a needle to check for cancer.  I was too upset to ask how long the test would take.  I am seeing my oncologist tomorrow at 9.15am, but i don't think they will know by then.  I will keep you posted.

As you can imagine all sorts of things are going through my mind, but I have my fingers crossed, I am eating cake and drinking wine.  I a sure it is just scar tissue, like a lot of people, but how nerve racking to be waiting.

Hope the MRI goes well Soring, and Jane, just relax and I hope the aches go away.

Singgapore Chris xx

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris, I sent you a PM and hope you are okay. The MRI went as well as it could, the IV was a straight shot and I hardly felt it. Results should be in tomorrow, they think. 

And so we wait!!! ugh. 

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris, holding you close in thoughts and prayers.  I'm sure it is just scar tissue.  It has to be.

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris holding onto you with soft warm hugs. I miss  chatting here everyday, but I am doing OK on FB, and I know when to visit my frriends.

One of my friends died from Breast Cancer stage 4 Monday PM. She told me about it in 2008. She didn't believe her dx, She decided to read her X-RAY, which we can do--I wouldn't reccommend it--did not have the Ultrasound, got off the table and went home.

She tried to convince me to get another opinion, though I told her I could feel the lump big as hell in my R breast. She couldn't or wouldn't take care of herself and so she died  Monday evening at 1630.

Fear  trumps all, She was a retired army Colonel, PHD prepared and awfully smart...I think.

Sad times for her classmates, but a reminder that yes, this disease can kill, if you don't take care of yourself. 

I could never talk her into treatment and when she called to tell me she was off sick and was not going to be able to retire as planned I asked her was it Breast Cancer...She wouldn't tell me.

Her family told me her diagnosis, but  it's too late for her; I am so damned mad/sad right now.

love you all,

'Mina 

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Nothing to report, I saw my oncologist today and she said "I see you had some unexpected results yesterday", I told her it is not unexpected to find scar tissue where there is a scar. I will know the results next Tuesday and she has recommened an MRI to be sure and said I should have one annually. I have to wait some weeks before my appointment. My husband was with me so at least we could talk about it.  We agreed that we will be going through this kind of thing every 6 months for many years to come, so we just have to get on with it, and assume all is well.

Spring thanks so much for your PM, I liked the idea of seeing the giant STOP sign when your mind goes racing ahead, I used it several times.  I think everyone will benefit from it, so please post it here too. Glad your MRI wasn't too painful and great that you get the results so fast. Praying for you too, It doesn't seem possible that anything could survive the treatment we have had, except us of course :)

Mina, I am very sorry to hear about your friend, it does make us think that we are all mortal and some of us are luckier than others.  We must live for today and enjoy life.

Thanks Mida and Colleen for your good thoughts, we can all use as many as we can get.

Take care girls, Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Here is the "stop sign" protocol for when the mind goes racing ahead. I had to use this when I was initially diagnosed as I feared the worst. I had a huge huge (5cm+) lump, and I thought I was a goner!

A friend recommended seeing a STOP sign, and it works for me as I am a very visual person. Here is what I told Chris...

"Breath deeply. Dr. Wiel says that we must breath slowly, quietly, rhythmically, and deeply. When you start thinking the worst, imagine a huge red STOP sign in front of you and breath in and out for each letter, tracing it in your mind, and say STOP to yourself. "

Repeat as needed!!! :) 

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Chris, so sorry to hear you are going through more worries. I will be thinking only positive thoughts for you. Enough already!! I am so glad you asked Spring to share her "stop sign protocol". I haven't had an MRI or mammogram since my diagnosis that has been normal. I have been called back for increased density...it was just the positioning of my breast that caused the mammo to look different. I was called back after my May MRI for a mass that was "probably benign" (I never settle for "probably") but followed up with an ultrasound to be sure...complex cyst. Had a repeat ultrasound last week...it has shrunk and is now a simple cyst. Spring, thank you so much for the stop sign protocol. I'll make sure to add it to my arsenal of relaxation, breathing techniques when I go for my next mammo in December.

Mina, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. 

Keep the faith ladies...my prayers are NED for all awaiting test results. Enjoy the last long weekend of the summer!

Li 

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2010
    Options

I THOUGHT i had posted something yesterday but alas I must not have.

Chris- I am sorry you are having to go through the waiting game but i am sending you all the "scar tissue" vibes i can!!

Mina- I know it is hard to lose a dear friend and heartbreaking that she didn't seek help. HUGS to you.

Spring- I am glad that the storm wasn't any worse than it was and I hope he goes away all together.

I love you all and wish you a happy, safe Labor Day Weekend. Remember when it used to be the last hoorah before school started. Now here in the south we have been in school for a month already by Labor Day.

HUGS to all

Lisa/BG

• Juli50
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris - I went through that at my last mammo. It was thickening of the scar tissue from radiation. Hope yours is too.

Mina - So sorry about your friend. Big hugs to you.

Spring- praying for good results!

Jane, Colleen, Lisa & Lili - good to hear from y'all.

My wrist is almost better already. Wasn't so bad a sprain after all. Laughing

Happy Labor Day and hugs! Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Thanks so much for all your kind words and support, it makes so much difference just having someone to share these worrying times with. Just when we become complacent again, we get a little reminder that we should be out there enjoying ourselves as much as we can. 

Spring, praying for good results for you, keep us posted.

enjoy your weekend ladies.

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Li and Lisa, nice to see you both here!!

I didn't call for the MRI results, will call Monday. I am trying not to think about it!! It is a3-day holiday wkend here in the US, and NO HUMIDITY and upper 70s to low 80s here, it was a glorious day. Took a nice walk with DH and did all sorts of shopping chores. Tomorrow, I hope we can cycle!  

• Juli50
    edited September 2010
    Options

For anyone on Arimidex, my insurance company (Aetna) says the generic will be out and covered by them starting 1/1/2011.

hugs Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi girls,

Julie that is great, but I would like to see if there are any different side effects.

I had a call from my oncol to say that the test results are inconclusive, they just got blood, great...  I am now still waiting for my appointment with the MRI machine.  Will keep you posted.

Have a good day girls.

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Oh Chris, well, GOOD GRIEF!!! You need that MRI, which reminds me, I have to call and get my results!

• Juli50
    edited September 2010
    Options

Results, Please!

Laughing

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Did not get a call back.... ugh. Flying out to Maine (girl friend time!) for a few days. Will check when I get back. 

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

I went in to the hospital and finally got an appointment for my MRI, Thursday 23rd Sept, my husband will be away oin business, but I have a girlfriend coming over from the uk so at least she will be with me.  The test results come out a day after my birthday, on 29th. I will just relax and enjoy life.  Nothing else to do. :)

Spring, how annoying, just focus on your girlfriend time and have fun.

Take care everyone.

Singapore Chris xx

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Girls,

Hope all is well with you.  Spring hope you are enjoying your trip with friends.

I am well and trying not to put my life on hold, while I wait for results. I am off to buy a raincoat as the weather has turned a llittle here and getting wet is not my favourite activity, I still have dye on my feet from last week when I got caugt in the rain.

Take care girls,

Singapore Chris x

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    Options

Chris, what a lovely picture of you! You look Angelic!

I got the results of my MRI - all clear. Went to talk to my ONC (my every 4 month appt) and she said squashed the idea that the RADs onc had on my blood counts being low as caused by the Tamoxifen. She said that is a one in a million thing, and 20% of women who have both chemo and rads have low blood counts for a few years. So anyway. They are still low! But on we go. I was concerned that low whites would mean my immune system was not fighting cancer, but she said they're not that low and that's not the case. 

I asked if I should go on an AI now, but she said no, I have not been without my period for long enough (two years!) She emphasized that the AI does not work at all and is even counter helpful if we are not really really really into menopause (or have ovaries out or take that shot to supress ovaries).

So Chris... live your life. Did you buy a raincoat??

We are cycling a lot lately, it is really good exercise. :)