Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2008

Jane - I learned yesterday taxol is 3 hours...sigh,I thought it was going to be quicker.

Keryl - my hair hurt a lot in the beginning, and like others, still hurts if I wear a wig for awhile.

Bar62 - I'm a single mom to with a a-- as an ex. It does add pressure, as I know I'm all my son has got.  I have to get through this for him!

I also learned yesterday that Taxol may wait until after surgery depending on how much the tumor has shrunk. I will find out on Thursday.

Colleen

• Keryl
    Keryl Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2008

wink - I softly massaged my head last night and put lotion on it, put Aquaphor on the sorest spots, put on a cotton cap and went to bed. My scalp is much better today. could be time or your advice, but the massage and lotion felt great and I feel much better. Not great yet, but only been a few days since the buzz. thanks again.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2008

Keryl,

My scalp did that sensitive thing for about 2 weeks, maybe 3; it slowly got better until I just didn't notice it any more -- I think it was while the hair folicles were screaming "ahhhhhhhhhhh" from falling out...

Jane M,

Taxol takes a long tme it seems. First they give you all this "pre stuff" and that can take 30-45 min, then it takes at least 3 hours for the Taxol. To me, Taxol seems to take longer infusion time than AC did.

INFO:  I had Taxol #2 this past Monday. I was more achey this time, and with sore joints, this was on days 4-5. Today is day 6 and it is nearly all gone. Not so bad though, later in the day was worse (tired, etc). I took Motrin once. Still a lot easier than AC for me. Like WAY easier, even with some aches. 

2 more Taxols to go... (75% done! yay!)

Springtime...

• BrandonMom
    edited October 2008

Springtime,

You are giving me confidence about Taxol.  I was about ready to throw in the towel with the AC. No way I could go any more AC.  Maybe it is my attitude, but so far this AC was better than #2 and #3.  Knowing it was the last one has really helped.

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited October 2008

I apologize in advance, but I've got to vent.  I just received my explanation of benefits for my 2nd tx (have received 1st one yet - changed insurance companies Oct 1); the cost of the tx & Neulasta shot totaled $34,000!!!!!!!! Surprised $9000 was for the Neulasta shot!!!!!!!!!Money mouth I am absolutely floored! Insurance covers most of it, but I just can't see how these numbers can be justified.  You can bet that I will be in the billing dept on Monday; just think of the plastic surgery I could have for $34,000!

Shocked & flabbergasted,

Donna  

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited October 2008

Hi Girls

Donna, they must have made a mistake, that is no way your Neulasta shot should cost that much. Mine cost 800 US dollars, they must have added an extra 0 by mistake.

Anyone who is on their own should definately use us as a sounding/moaning board and not feel guilty at all.  Cancer SUCKS (in the words of Genia and many othersYell) and going thorough it with a partners is bad enough, but for you poor girls who don't have as much support, it must be double difficult, especially as we are all staying strong for our families too.

Colleen, keep us posted on how much your tumour has shrunk, we love shrinking stories.Kiss

I have read that is takes between 6 and 12 months to recover after chemo, but I disagree, as when I am on my 2 good weeks, I feel completely back to normal. Full of energy, a wonderful clear head, my reactions are good (caught a box of tea that fell out of the cupboard at lightning speed!).  So look forward to when it is all over, as life returns to normal pretty fast. I am really  excited as I have only two FAC's left after 10 months of chemo!  Hurray, Hurray, I see a big light at the end of the tunnel. Next stop radiation, but I will worry about that next year.

Take care girls.  Singapore Chris

• nanclee
    nanclee Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2008

I just received a bill today for my chemo and my Neulasta shot was $3300.00 charged to my insurance co.!!  And I've had four of them so far!

• PEnTE
    PEnTE Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2008

My wife had her blood levels checked this past Friday and her WBC was low but that's all they told her.  She is supposed to have her 2nd Tx of AC this Monday.  They are going to do a CBC on her before she's supposed to have Chemo so we're assuming that if her level is low that she will not have Chemo.  Her hair started falling out just around the 14th day as almost everyone has stated on this thread so we went yesterday for the dreaded shave.  I have updated her photo and maybe I'm being biased since she is my wife of 21 years but I have to say she looks great!  In my opinion if you keep a positive attitude about this time in your lives that is the key to being a survivor.  I wanted to thank all of you ladies for the advice that each of you have given!  Although my wife was on this website in the beginning she hasn't read the posts because she just wants to go through this without knowing what the SE's are and keep a positive attitude and some semblance of normality without anticipating what may come.  I pretty much read the posts daily and when things come up I try and learn from you all and get the appropriate over the counter meds or what I think she may need.  You are all truly inspiring!! 

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2008

My Chemo is running 5,700 per AC round with all pre and post meds. The neulasta shot is 3,900.Those are the going MN rates. Gee, Singapore Chris, you are getting your shot for the price of my deductible! Mmmmmm, wonder if it is worth a flight to Singapore...

• SingaporeChris
    edited October 2008

Hi Pente Husband,

I am glad the the site has helped you help your wife and I do understand about her not wanting to hear what "might" happen with side effects.

I must admit, I feel a little uncomfortable that a man has been reading my posts, as I thought what I have been saying was to other women with BC and in a secure kind of environment. We have all been very open about our experiences and should be aware that maybe it's not only women reading them. I am sure you are a very nice man with only your wifes best interest at heart, but it's an eye opener for me.

You are right, your wife looks lovely with her new look.

cjh, I wonder if we are getting the same shots, as medicine in Singapore is usually pretty expensive too. Either way you could certainly get a flight and your shot for the same price here.

bye for now, Singapore Chris

• SingaporeChris
    edited October 2008

Hi Girls,

Just read all the rules about Breastcancer.org, thought I had read them before, but actually I hadn't.  In case anyone else hasn't, make sure you know the following:

By using the Discussion Boards or Chat Rooms, you are granting Breastcancer.org a perpetual, exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, create derivative works from, transfer, and sell any such messages, files or communications.

Singapore Chris

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited October 2008

hi  again peeps..Decadron has me zooming tonight. arrrgh.

OMG! the cost of these drugs make them inaccessible to most people. I have Medicare Advantage and am working with a Healthwell foundation to help with my co-pay for  the least expensive medication, Neupogen. Fingers xxed I will get the papers in time for my third treatment November 7th. I will then be able to  get my last two AC treatments DD.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2008
    hey girls, I found an advantage to the shaved head! I have one of those little hand held massagers and tried it on my head last night when I had a headache...it was so nice!!! Smile
  • hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2008

Singapore Chris, maybe you are not too familiar with internet message boards, but like with anything else on the internet, ANYONE with a computer may be reading whatever you post.

The internet is in no way a secure environment.   

Chris 

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2008

Good morning........hope all of you are doing good today!

I ended up in the ER last night......still soooo sick today.  They said my white count was 4 times higher than it is supposed to be.  No fever.....just the shot working overtime.  I swear I felt like I was gonna die!!!  I was dizzy and weak and felt like I was gonna pass out!  I still feel like crap today.......and I don't know what to do.  

The ER Dr. didn't seem concerned at all about it.  He said he wasn't even gonna call and wake my Dr. up to tell him I was there.  

I had taken a Lortab too......for the bone pain and he thinks I had a reaction to that as well!!!  

If this is that Neulasta shot.......it has kicked my BUTT this time around!!!  Not sure I wanna take another one again.........ugh

Hugssssss.....

Genia

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2008

Genia - yikes! you poor thing! Hope you feel better soon!

Anyone watch "Living Proof" on the Lifetime network last night? It the story of Herceptin, starring Harry Connick Jr. They are showing it again tonight. I highly recommend it, especially to those of you that are Her2+ (like me).

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2008

Genia!  I had high white counts too, not as high as yours, on the neulasta, and my doc said it could be from cardiac issues or infection.  She did make sure she ruled out both in the next 24 hours. I got a little concerned for you as you have been having blood pressure issues and the ER doc should have been able to rule out what was going on by way of a phone call to the oncologist and some testing.  Hope you get answers and get to feeling better!

Ahhhhhhh, the side effects from the meds that treat the side effects from the chemo...! It feels like I am chasing my tail some days...

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2008

I watched "Living Proof" last night! Fantastic movie! I plan on watching it again tonight. I'm not Her2+, but that really doesn't matter! 

I don't get Neulasta shots, but I do get a leukine shot every day for ten days following my FAC...leukine shots run about $2000 each. It's the pharmaceutical companies...I've heard of Neulasta shots running upwards of $8000 each...it's crazy...here we are, ladies, walking, talking pharmacies of toxins that are averaging in the neighborhood of $30000.00 a month.

Too bad we don't have a cash option!  

• BrandonMom
    edited October 2008

OK, I've decided not to do the neulasta shot.  I've read of others that are only taking it if needed.  I'll be going to the doctor on Thursday, so I'll know if it is "needed". I wonder now if that's the reason I've been feeling so horrible on Monday's and Tueday's (I take the shot Saturday/Sunday).  I'll let you know how that goes. 

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2008

Mina - glad your port surgery went well. Power port sounds very high tech! Hope you are feeling good today.

Patti's husband - I am glad Patti is doing well and you sound like a very caring husband! You are right - these boards are a wealth of info. I'm so glad I found them. My onc. told me before starting chemo that I would basically feel 'fatigued'. That was about it!

Juli - maybe a massager is a solution to my headaches. I might give that a try!

Genia - (((((((())))))) hope you are feeling better soon!

Who is getting a treatment this week?

Have a great Sunday, gals!

Susan

• theprettiestmess
    edited October 2008

I'm on deck for my 3rd FAC on Wednesday...

Mina- I have a powerport, too...it's about the size of a quarter...feels weird, and the only part that hurts when it's pressed on is the connection that goes into the superior vena cava - super sensitive!

Juli- I looooooove having my shiny bald head rubbed/massaged/smooched! I have one of those handheld massage things and I'll definitely be trying it the next time I have a headache!

Genia - ((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))) to you and a big PFFFFFFBBBBBBBT to that ER doc! I was told by my oncologist that if I ever have to make a trip to the ER, I was to make a point of informing check in that I AM A CANCER PATIENT...apparently, that sets off a whole lot of bells and whistles and gets the ball rolling! 

Pattie's hubby (and Pattie) - I see a most beautiful smile in that photo! We are all here supporting you in your positive fight! 

• theprettiestmess
    edited October 2008

I'm on deck for my 3rd FAC on Wednesday...

Mina- I have a powerport, too...it's about the size of a quarter...feels weird, and the only part that hurts when it's pressed on is the connection that goes into the superior vena cava - super sensitive!

Juli- I looooooove having my shiny bald head rubbed/massaged/smooched! I have one of those handheld massage things and I'll definitely be trying it the next time I have a headache!

Genia - ((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))) to you and a big PFFFFFFBBBBBBBT to that ER doc! I was told by my oncologist that if I ever have to make a trip to the ER, I was to make a point of informing check in that I AM A CANCER PATIENT...apparently, that sets off a whole lot of bells and whistles and gets the ball rolling! 

Pattie's hubby (and Pattie) - I see a most beautiful smile in that photo! We are all here supporting you in your positive fight! 

• Genia
    edited October 2008

Been in bed most of the day....

My husband called the Dr. on call........and the said it was the shot......plus the 2nd tx was harder than any of them.......then after that they level out.  So I guess I just got hit with a double whammy this time around!!!

He also said they would prob cut my Neulasta shot in half......so I wouldn't get so much!  I'm not even sure I needed it to begin with.....but it is routine they give it to everyone the day after tx!

I know one thing.....I haven't felt like this in MANY years........I was actually scared I was gonna die.  That's how I felt!!!

hugssss and if anyone knows how to make this go away faster.....let me know.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited October 2008

The Neulasta shot kicks my butt, too.  They haven't been giving me the option.  Yesterday was "crash" day for me.  I'm still tired today, and they say this part only gets worse.

I went and got my head buzzed after church today.  DD went with me.  I think she thought it was going to be more traumatic than it was.  I think my brother (the barber) thought so, too.  He told me that I had a nice shaped head and that I looked good bald. And, to think, he wanted to trade me for a puppy when I was born!

I have an apt. with the BS tomorrow.  I'm still draining.  I hope that gets done soon.

Genia - You poor thing! I can't imagine what you're going through.  Enough is enough!  

Have a safe night, all.

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited October 2008

I'm scheduled for my 3rd tx of TC on Thursday  - I'm not going to let them give me the NeuBlasta shot again!

Genia - I hope that you start feeling better soon - I'm so sorry that you were so scared; I would have be frightened too!

I say we all ditch our Neulasta shots and fly to Singapore for the $900 dose!  My whole bill from my 2nd chemo (Taxotere, Cytoxan, Aloxi, Steroid, CBC, Chemscan, Neulasta shot) was $34,000.!!!!! OK, I know I'm being redundant - but I just can't get over it! Money mouth

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2008

BrandonMom

Congratulations on being done with AC!!! Wooo Hoooo!!! The worst is really behind you now. If you are like me, you will really start to feel much more like your old self on Taxol. Plus, I have started to regrow hair!!! (I feel stubble on my head!)

Wink

My Neulasta shot was 7K!!! And the negotiated rate my insurance paid was 3,200!!! I am so glad we LOOOONG ago passed the "out of pocket maximum" for the year -- so we pay nothing. Phase One of my reconstruction will also be "no out of pocket expense". Woo Hoo!

All - about the Neulasta shot....

I never had an issue with Neulasta shot, maybe some slight soreness, but honestly, I would not have noticed if they didn't tell me it might happen, may have thought I was sore from exercise. AND IT SAVED MY BUTT twice on AC -- my WBC was really really low on AC #3 and #4. I also got the Neulasta shot after my first Taxol, just to be sure. It is expensive, to be sure, but IT WORKED FOR ME!!!   

Springtime

• SingaporeChris
    edited October 2008

Gena, You poor thing, what an awful experience, hope you are feeling better now.

I can't believe how much the price varies for these shots its shocking.

Take care everyone and good luck with your treatments.

Singapore Chris

• HeatherL
    HeatherL Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2008

Hello everybody and good luck to all those going for treatments this week.  I just thought I'd add that my neulasta shot here in Ontario, Canada costs 2700  each shot, but luckily my insurance company covers it.  I am going tomorrow am for my port and then chemo in the afternoon.  I was very excited to get the call for my port as it took 4 pokes last time and my arm is still bruised and sore 3 weeks later but now I'm a little nervous about another minor surgery.  I don't post a lot but read it daily and get tremendous support and information from you guys, not to mention the laughs and even a few tears too.

• Genia
    edited October 2008

Well I'm still alive......and feeling a little better today.  Although I think death may have been the next step to feeling worse than what I was.  I don't think I've ever been that sick in my life!!!  Seriously.....a gall bladder surgery and 3 c sections were nothing to compare to how I was feeling.

Me and my Dr. are gonna have a long talk about the "NeuBlasta" (loved that one Donna) shot!!!  I don't think the chemo is bothering me one third as much as that shot......he said we would prob cut the dosage........YA RECKON???  I have enough white cells floating for 4 people and we will probably cut the dosage???  Yep....I think we might just do that!!! 

Again.....it beats the alternative......just hard to go through!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes......thoughts and prayers.  Love you gals!!!

• susan13
    susan13 Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2008

Hey Ladies,

Had my 3rd AC last week. Had a little "reaction" to something or another, which some people might think was an anxiety attack.  Blood pressure shot up and heart rate went into the 130's, they had to stop treatment and give me oxygen for the remainder. It went down significantly after 15 minutes or so.  Since day 2 I have been a little nauseas and still am on Day 5.  Still have that horrible metal taste in my mouth and nothing getting rid of it. Any suggestions? I'm forcing myself to eat and drink, nothing is tasting good at all.  First 2 tx's this only happend for a couple of days!

Kinda feels like I'm having morning sickness!Yell

Sue