Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited December 2008

LOL....yea....and on the Chemo board of ALL places.  You'd think one would be safe here.....but NOOOOOO.......not with this crazy bunch of women!!!  

I think ANYthing that would get our minds off having cancer for a few hours would be well worth the trip.....lol

So WHO'S makin the reservation and lining out the BOYS???

Trude.....I know what ya mean.....there is ALWAYS someone that is going through so much more than we are........I guess when I bitch and moan I need to remind myself of that!  It could be so much worse than it has been.  At least we aren't hanging our heads over the toilet like women did years ago on chemo.....

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2008

Think he'll do?

Click the link above... 

And can I upgrade from a Cabana Boy to a Cabana Man, since I don't have a man? Tongue out 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2008

Prettiest,

Wow, a CABANA MAN??? And named Rusty too??? I'm just speachless!!!! 

Spring....

Rusty

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited December 2008

OK, I give up.  Is there ANYTHING I haven't had yet that I've got to look forward to? Because if it exists, you know I'm going to get it.  I started the Famvir for the Shingles.  The shingles hurt more than my mastectomy did.  Then, to top it off, now I have a yeast infection.  It just keeps getting better and better.  I don't know which end to rub or itch.  It's almost comical anymore because it doesn't seem possible that one person would get so much crap.  I hope God knows that I am not as strong as Job - eventually I will lose my mind.

I'm so glad you girls are here.  If not, I wouldn't be fantasizing about beaches and cabana boys, I'd be hiding from the men with the nets chasing me.

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2008

Oh Jane! I know exactly what you're talking about! I've been to the ER so many times, I have "my own" room, (#3), my favorite nurse always seems to be there when I have to go in, and when I'm there for testing or anything else, everyone I pass in the hallways say "Hey Robin!" ! 

I told them that I want a bronze plaque outside the door of ER #3 and that Sherry, my favorite ER nurse, needs a raise.

Get a scrip for Diflucan, sweetie...that'll take care of the yeast infection..make them give you two. And refills.

We'll get you a hot cabana boy to give you a nice oatmeal bath...sound good?

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited December 2008

You guys are crackin' me up! Send me a cabana boy who specializes in neck and back massages. Laughing

I am taking the L-Glutamine...but I probably only manage 20 mg instead of 30 mg a day. I gotta work on that. The shooting pains don't bother me during the day. Work keeps my mind off them. I just took a Tylenol PM... hope it works tonight.

Hugs to Jane and anyone else who needs one! Kiss

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Well sign me up with one of those Cabana boys who do the massages.........I thought I was gonna skate through this without the neuropathy.......but that joke was on ME.   My right leg went totally numb last night.  So I went to bed early....and laid there for hours.......with the stinging needles shooting through my leg.  I finally got up and took some Advil.......did really help.  I think I finally wore myself out tossing and turning and went to sleep around 2.  Here I am up at 5.....hurting again!   Guess chemo has no mercy........

Jane......wish I could give you a huge hug sweetie.  I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time right now.  I really hope all this eases up so you can at least have a nice Christmas!

Hugssss everyone.....love to all!!!!

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2008

WOW that cabana man is HOT!!!!   When and where, I am definetly there.

Genia - try the L-Glutamin .....it really works...GNC has it.  Also remember to tell the dr.  as some of the neuropathy is NOT reversable.  They may have to stop the treatment and switch to a different drug .......

Jane - Shingle SUCK.....I am soooo sorry.  Hopefully they got you on the meds fast enough that it will resolve quick....hang in there

Trude

c

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited December 2008

Jane - you need "Cabana Man" - he looks like a super hero to me!

I want Rusty to rub & itch everything that needs rubbing/scratching - come to think of it - I can't think of anyplace that doesn't need rubbing/scratching! Innocent

And...I'd like a camelpack of margaritas!

Donna

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited December 2008

Genia - I checked and Ruth has not logged on since Nov 19th!  Hope she is ok - does anyone have her address?

• Genia
    edited December 2008

I don't have it Donna on the list that I have.  I'm kinda worried about her.....because that's not like her to just disappear like that!  She was pretty regular here......

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

You ladies are a riot.

Jane and Prettiest, HANG IN THERE. 

Genia, one word for you: L-Glutamin, woman! (okay, two words).I am with Trude on this! Mix 1 TBSP in juice 3X a day. Once you lose the symptoms, you can go down to 2x a day. I am currently on 2 TBSP a day and it WORKS WORKS WORKS. (Screw these people who tell you there is no proof that it works. WHO CARES if it works for you?!)

I just realized how funny it is to see a picture of "Rusty in the board shorts" just above a Bible verse!!! cracks me up. They say the Lord will give you what you need, LOL.

Donna and Genia - I want in line behind you ladies for the Cabana boy/man who does the back rubs. 

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Spring.....wonder if the capsules would work as well......I just called Walmart and that's all they have there......

We don't have a GNC here.......I don't think.

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Genia,

I don't know about the capsules, I don't see why not... (It would be a heck of a lot easier than mixing the powder into juice). I would give that a go. Any health food or vitamin type store will have LGlutamine. I just called my husband and told him to bring home JUICE when he comes, i can't hawk that stuff down in plain water!

All this talk has me feeling tingles in my feet and hands!!!     :O

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2008

I do not have pinsand needles, but more an achiness, restlessness. It is hard to describe. It is worse at night. Do you think it is from the chemo? I have not taken any vitamins or supplements since starting chemo.

I want the cabana man who gives massages and mixes margaritas! Let me dream.....

D

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Priz, are you now on Taxol or Toxotere?

• Genia
    edited December 2008

I called my Dr.....just to clue him in on how my legs are feeling.  He said if it is neuropathy....he may end up cutting my chemo dosage. 

In the meantime.....I sent my hubby to Walmart to get some L-Glutamine.  Sure hope it helps this.....cause it hurts like the dickens!!!

My dad had Neuropathy.....and his brother has it now.  So...I'm prob a pretty good candidate anyway.....sure hope I don't get like my dad did.  It was sad to watch him try to walk.  Then he ended up in a wheelchair.

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Oh Gosh Genia!

You are NOT, I repeat, NOT going to end up in a wheelchair! 

We take 10mg 3x a day. I hope you can do this with the pill formation!

It won't go away right away, but keep taking them anyway. You will get relief. I have a friend here who never tool L-Glutamin during chemo, and after surgery and during RADs she finally started, so she had it for some time. It took a while, and her syptoms are not toally gone, but are much much less. You are still in chemo, so it should work better for you. PLUS you are getting a nice break. 

I hope this works for you...

We need a Cabana Boy who delivers L-Glutamin to us and gives us a backrub when he drops off the stuff!!!! 

Kiss

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

I found this when I searched Google for "Cabana Boy".....

I have no words....

What can I say?

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2008

OK, I'm officially bummed out and my treatment plan is changing.  I had my mastectomy on November 26, and the biopsy differed from my original.  It is now HER +.  That means, instead of 4 DD Taxol, I get 12 Taxol/Herceptin mixes followed by a full year of herceptin.  I'm so bummed. I thought I could see the light at the end of the chemo tunnel.  I also have to get the PET and echo done again. My tumor was much larger than they original thought, so now I'm stage 3.

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Oh BrandonMom... this is quite upsetting! What a blow!

This now makes me wonder about my final pathology...  I just had my Mx surgery early December.

I think the Herceptin is not a big deal in terms of chemo symptoms, at least that's what my friend told me.  So I think once you are past the 12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin, you will be okay. 

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Dang it......I just checked my temp and it was 100.1.  WHAT ELSE is gonna happen........guess I'll call my Dr. back tomorrow to see what he wants to do if it don't go down......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Spring that pic made me laugh.......even feel like crap!!!!

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Genia, good, i am glad you got a chuckle, they say laughter is a good medicine....

I have no idea if this will work, but when I was in the hospital recently and started a fever, the nurses told me to drink lots of fluids and also take very deep breaths. Who the heck knows. It may be worth a try??

Dear God, Please help BrandonMom and Genia! Amen...

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Thanks for the advice Spring......I'm gonna go lay back down.......my legs hurt too bad to sit for very long.  Plus I have a Lortab in me now.....broke down and took one!

love you all......hugssss

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

More food for thought. These "examples" totally cracked me up...

From the Urban Dictionary:

1. cabana boy

a sexy guy with a tan that he gets from working out on the beach and serving the tourists daquiris and rum and cokes.

visit an island...fall in love with a cabana boy.

2. cabana boy

Nice, hot, young boy (race and income unimportant) who serves mine-or yours, should you choose- every whim. And I mean every whim.

"Oh Cabana Boy!!! I think I need another lime in this avacado daiquiri! And really, you must remove those wet swim trunks! They must bee so constricting!

3. cabana boy

A young man (typically in his twenties) that gives a woman anything and everything she needs or wants as a servant would. However most of her needs or wants have a sexual connotation behind them.

I was at the beach and the cabana boy massaged my feet as I drank my piña colada.

The cabana boy fanned me with a palm leaf as I dried myself from the shower.

From Wikipedia:

Cabana boy - from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A cabana boy is a male attendant (boy in this sense) performing 'personal services' to the guests of a hotel or a large private estate, operating from a nearby cabaña (American Spanish for cabin; compare cabin boy), notably on a beach. A pool boy performs the same duties at a swimming pool.

Another image of a Cabana Boy ( and there is one of us sitting in the pink suit!)

cabana boy

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2008

Springtime-Love the picture! Can I be the one in the pink suit?????

Genia_ Drink lots and rest. It may go down. Are you still on antibiotics??

Brandonsmom-Big hug! I am sorry and am sure you are disappointed! Do you have a port? It may not be as bad as you think. Try to find out as much as you can so you do not worry.

We`ALL need our cabana boys, massages and margaritas. I will put an order in for Santa!

D

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Priz, this one's for you!!! I can't believe that there is all this info on Cabana Boys online, almost like a sub culture!

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Feeling a little better now......

And I'll have a Cabana boy to go please!!!   :)

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Took two of the L-Glutamines.....surely they didn't work this fast......must be my Lortabs finally kicken in.......

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Rest sweet Genia, and dream of a CB....