Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited December 2008

I like that second verse to the song Spring....lol

I called my Dr. today....and he told me if I started throwing up or had diarrhea...to go to the ER.   Otherwise....he doesn't know what else to give me or do at this point.  I guess it's one of those things that just has to run it course.  So other than meds for nausea....and something for my stomach....there's not much more he can do for me.

Yaaay.......made me happy!   NOT...

I have been so down and out........I swear......I just wanna feel better!   I'm sure I'm among lots of sisters here that do, tho.  This is gettin old in a big hurry.  But then when I say that......I feel so guilty for saying that because I know it could be so much worse than it has been.  Guess I'm having a pity party.....and you all are invited.....lol

JANE....lol....glad you had that good fart g/f!!!  Did you do one for me too????   Pretty sure other than the irritable bowel board.....we are the only ones that are happy when we FART!  Oh that made me laugh..........I finally burped this morning for the first time in days.......boy did it feel GOOD......   :)

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited December 2008

for Singapore Chris - chef hat #2... LOL Laughing

I feel like I should be wearing a button or t-shirt that reads "I survived Taxol #1 Today!"

no Se's yet, just sleepy from the Benadry. I took an Ativan last night and one this morning before I went. Tx took a total of 3 hr 45 min, then I went out to lunch and came home for a nap.

My onc said to take a Benedryl the night before tx. Good news... my onc reduced my Decadron dose from 40 mg before tx to only 8 mg!!! yay! yay! yay!

They did give a Kytrl during tx and said to take one every 12 hrs till Sunday night. You other Taxol girls stay on anti-nausea meds for a few days?

Good job on the farts and burps!

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2008

Hi guys! Anyone suddenly get a fever(100 degrees) with no symptoms, except I do not feel good??I am 10 days post-AC tx. I did normal stuff today, attempted to bake cookies (did not turn out at all!), took son for MD appt, made dinner.... My stomache hurt this AM, also am constipatedEmbarassed, and my abd muscles are telling me 'Why DID you shovel??' I did not eat dinner (didn't feel hungry). It'sthe fever that worries me. We are supposed to go to a Christmas brunch tomorrow, but if I do not feel well, DH can go by himself. I just feel like I am supposed to be feeling BETTER now!

D

• Juli50
    edited December 2008

Priz - Did you take any Tylenol? That's all you can take for fever while on AC. Also take 2 sennakot or colace at night and 2 in the morning, if you have any, for the consipation. I had it something fierce with AC. Yell. Some people use Miralax powder or prune juice, but those don't appeal to me. If your fever gets to 101, call your onc's office and whoever is on call wiil call you back.

good luck! Kiss

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2008

Juli,

I just completed my fifth round of taxol (12  weekly) and talked them down to 5 mg of decadron, yea! I dislike the side effects of the steroids. I do not take anything before txment and they give me benadryl, pepcid and decadron IV just before the taxol.  It has not made me nauseated so I don't take anything else. My main side effects are shooting pain and some loss of balance. This is easier than AC by far for me!

cj

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited December 2008

Between the Taxol and Neulasta, I'm very sore and achy.  I'm still feeling a little bizarre as well, weird shooting pains, jumping eyebrows, etc.  I also have so weird rash on my shoulder which is probably totablly unrelated, but I have no idea where it came from.  I didn't think the Taxol was supposed to cause mouth sores, but my tongue is all raw.  Not thrush, more like a great big canker sore.  I hate the decadron.  I think it has something to do with my depression.

Genia - how are you feeling?

I managed to sort and fold 3 loads of laundry this morning - whoo hoo for me! I still have one load to go, then of course I have to put away what is on the bed.  Best get to it...maybe....soon...I think.

• Genia
    edited December 2008

Hi Jane....I'm FINALLY feelin halfway normal today.  Started feeling better  yesterday afternoon.  I even managed to go do some Christmas shopping last night.  Yaahoo for my kids.....lol

I'm sorry you are feelin so rough sweetie......it WILL get better.  And a certain person sent something to me that I loved sooooo well I put it on my signature on here!!!  I think it says.....we just have to KEEP ON KEEPING ON.  Wonder WHO told me that???   :)

Juli.....see......told you, you would do just fine!   The fear is always worse than the actual deal.  Well ALMOST....lol

priz....hope you feel better soon sweetie!!!  We WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS GIRLS!!!!!

Hope the rest of you are doing good today.......hugsssss

• Jane_M
    edited December 2008

Juli - My taxol took 5 1/2 hours.  Is that because it is DD?  I had to call my husband and tell him to pick me up later than he usually did. 

I always get personal Christmas cards for my kids and my hubby and write something personal inside as well.  It took me three days to write in my husband's card this year.  I can just see us all now on Christmas morning opening our cards and crying....won't that be a fun memory?

I think the decadron is wearing off a little.  Physically, I feel like crap, but at least I don't feel like crying right at this second.  

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2008

Hi all! I know this comes under TMI, but has anyone had bad enough constipation to actually form a tear on the inside?? One that bleeds reguarly and hurts like h*ll?? I am now afraid to take my Colace cuz it hurts so bad that it brought tears to my eyes!

I went to a Christmas lunch with DH today- they had fried ravioli that burned the whole inside of my mouth! My DH thought they were good, but I only took one bite!

I think I'll go back to bed today.....try again.

D

• Juli50
    edited December 2008

Priz - Yes, I can relate to your TMI...I got a hemorrroid after my 2nd AC tx., but you need a softener, for sure! Sounds like you have a fissure. You might need a prescription ointment. My son gets those from Crohn's disease.

Jane - I read Taxol causes mouth sores too, just like AC. Use lots of Biotene mouthwash. That really helps me. And yes, your Taxol will take longer because it is DD.

Genia - YAY! you are feeling better. Laughing

Hugs to all who need one! Kiss

• Genia
    edited December 2008

What is DD???  lol......duh

• Juli50
    edited December 2008
    Genia - Dose Dense Taxol - twice as much Taxol, but given every other week, instead of weekly. Laughing
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2008

Hi All,

I am feeling so assaulted!! I now officially have NO EYELASHES!!! I find this just so insulting! After all this!! No eyelashes??? I just want to spit. There is no end to the trauma of this! My eyebrows are also so thin now you can barely see them. Well, they are blonde anyway, but really. I just find this so rude!!! one insult after another!!!  My hair is like peach fuzz... I feel like such a mess!!! Bald, eyelash-less, healing from boob surgery, eyebrows hardly there... ((KEEP ON KEEPING ON, right???)) ugh!!

I think I am feeling a bit better from the surgery, but still needed both motrin and Vicodin today. And all the stool softeners (colace, Mirilax, suppositories!) just to "go". One more drain came out, did I tell you all that (Can't remember with my chemo brain). One drain to go...three gone now...  Drains are another insult!!

Priz - Girl, I think you now have a rectal fissure. Feels like razor blades when you "go"? Would you almost rather give birth? I am sorry, this is a real, literal, pain in the ass!!!!  I can't stand it! AC started it, I would almost get it healed, then another chemo and more contipation. Almost had it down to healed, then SURGERY and all the meds that cause more constipation!!! I have been nursing this fissure for months and I am about to POP already!!! ugh! You need to REALLY soften things up. You don't want hard "goings" wiht that fissure! I have a buffered compounded gel from my proctologist to help stimulate healing. 

Julie - yay for survivind Taxol #1!! I would feel PERFECT for a few days after DD Taxol. Then sometime on day #3 the achies would start, and a bit of tired. That lasted a while, then was gone. Not so bad rally. (After you've been through AC anyway!!!)  Not sure it will be the same for you with 12 weekly vs 4 DD though. Let us know!!

Jane, all that going on and still did the LAUNDRY!!! Go girl!!

Genia, Glad you are somewhat better, girl! Maybe you've turned the corner???

Whinin' and Moanin',    Spring.....

• Jane_M
    edited December 2008

It's a good thing I'm in a better mood because now I have shingles to go along with herpes sores in my mouth.  I'm going to try the biotene for my mouth tonight, but there's nothing I can do for the shingles except wait them out.

• Juli50
    edited December 2008
    Jane - Shingles! Where did you get shingles??? Surprised
  • Jane_M
    edited December 2008

Goodness knows where I got them.  From what I'm told, once you have chicken pox, they lay dormant in your body in the nerve beds.  They can be brought on by a weakened immune system, stress, chemo, etc.  I guess you don't have to be re-exposed to the chicken pox to get them.  I'm just lucky, I guess.

• Juli50
    edited December 2008
    Jane - I meant where on your body...oops! sorry! Laughing
  • Jane_M
    edited December 2008

My right shoulder.  Sorry about that.

• Genia
    edited December 2008

I swear I wish I would win the lottery........I would fly us ALL to Cancun or Hawaii after we were all finished!!!!!!!

• Genia
    edited December 2008

We might be boobless babes on the beach.....but who gives a rats hiney!!!!  I wouldn't......lol

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Jane, shingles and herpes, good grief! That puts being "eye lash-less" in perspective.

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited December 2008

sign me up for the bitch and moan club this am...no bone pain but muscle fatigue and pain is rough too..feel so tired after this taxotere. PLEASE ladie tell me if there is anything for you that works that you can taste!! At this point trying to eat just does not appeal to me as i have found nothing i can taste. Most stuff seems to grow the more i chew and turns my stomach. This is so frustrating. Gingerale helps a little but i miss tasting food. I will be sooo glad when this is OVER

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Bettysgirl,

I could always taste, but I had 4AC then 4 Taxol. I sometimes had a funny metalic taste in my mouth, but I always could taste and eat. Taxol made me very body achy and tired after a few days though. 

hang in there. You don't have any mouth sores, do you?

• Genia
    edited December 2008

bettysgirl,

I go through the same thing.  Hate the thoughts of food.....and gag for about a week to a week and a half after my treatment.  Since I have all my chemo drugs at the same time I never  know which one makes me do this.  You may have thrush.....that will make you hate food and not be able to taste anything.

Jane....hope you are feeling better.  Been thinkin about you......

Has anyone heard from Ruth lately?  

I just got back from the Dr.   My chemo has been put off until Dec 30th.  I was still running a low grade fever.  Plus I broke down in the Drs office today......I was having a bad day before I went.  And it didn't get any better after I got there......and sat in the waiting room listening to Christmas carols.  This time of year is always hard for me since my parents have been gone.  Then being sick on top of it.....just ain't helpin any.

Hope everyone is doin ok......hugsssss

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Awe Genia,

Are you feeling okay about your next Chemo being put off until Dec 30th? Maybe it is what you need to get your body and spirit back to their perky selves?

Are all of you who gag at the thought of food loosing weight during chemo? Just wondering... (I think I am feeling really fat today)

spring.

• Genia
    edited December 2008

I am fine with that Spring.....when he said that I almost jumped up and down.   I just don't feel strong enough at this point to go through another round.  It will mean my ending date is later......but at this point, after the food poisoning......I just need a break!!!

I had lost 4 pounds since last week.......but trust me......once my appetite goes back into full swing I will gain it all back.  I haven't lost any weight during all of this......cause I make up for it when I can taste my food again.....lol

• Juli50
    edited December 2008

The Taxol "twinges" and aches are settling in this afternoon, along with the Decadron "drop". Can you tell I'm tired??? Undecided

But I gotta take my son to his gastro dr now for his Crohn's...

Hugs to all who need 'em. Kiss

• Jane_M
    edited December 2008

The only thing I have actually been able to taste is butterscotch pudding.  I've lost 9 lbs since September. 

Genia - when do you end now?  I'm done (hopefully) January 19th.  Do you have to have rads?  I get a month off after chemo before I start rads.

• Springtime
    edited December 2008

Julie - Oh I remember that... the steroid wares off and the effects of the Taxol start. Hang in there! Life goes on, doesn't it?

Jane - wow 9 lbs. And you get a month off between chemo and rads. I bet they "count" the surgery 6 weeks as my month off. pooh!  hey, have you heard that there is now an option of getting rads for 3 weeks instead of 6? Some study about how 3 weeks is as effective as 6. Woman here in the practice I go to asked about it and is getting 3 weeks worth. I am gong to ask about it too if they recommend rads for me, which i assume they will. 

Link: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Breast_Cancer_Radiation_Treatment_Less_May_Be_As_Good_As_More.asp

Genia - Glad you are happy about getting the break. I think it is the right thing. Your poor body needs a break! 

• Juli50
    edited December 2008

I'll vote for 3 weeks of rads instead of 6! There is a radiation group here advertising 1 week, where they implant radioactive seeds. I had my nurse show the onc the ad and she said he just made a face like he didn't approve... oh well.. Undecided

I've gained 5 lbs since September, so obviously I can find something to eat no matter how bad my taste buds are! Tongue out