Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2009
    Genia - Big Hugs and lots of prayers for a speedy recovery!!! Kiss
  • trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2009

Genia !!!!!!   We love you !!!!   {{{{{hugs}}}}}  

Please let us know what is going on.....hopefully this will pass soon.  Many prayers are being said and God is good.  He will comfort and protect you.

Well, I saw my surgeon and the plastic surgeon on the same day, Friday.  What a hoot!!!  My dh and I were stuck between the two.  Each had a different idea WoW, it was a crazy day.  But we finally have a plan.  Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.....expander placed....implant to come later.  Radiation still pending the results of pathology.  My surgeon also said she would run interferance with the onc for me. 

Surgery is March 4. !!!! Yeah!!!!

Trude

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited February 2009

I know I don't feel as bad as Genia, but I can certainly empathize with her.  I really think a transfusion would make you feel better.  I didn't feel 100% after mine, but I did feel a bit stronger. 

Gosh - I'm so tired. The last time I was in the ER (doesn't that statement say it all), I was anemic again, but not to the point where I needed a transfusion.  I don't know how I can be anemic 2 weeks after a transfusion?  Last night, I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept until 11 this morning and I'm still tired.  This last round left me exhausted.  I know the oncologist said the effects were cumulative, but this is something else!  Even my bones and tissues feel tired if that makes any sense, and people are telling me that radiation tires you out as well.  I want to do what I can to make sure I never have to go through this again, but I don't know.  I can only pray that God will continue to give me the strength I need to make it the next 7 weeks.

• Juli50
    edited February 2009
    Jane - I read somewhere that it can take 6 weeks or more to recover from the effects of chemo. So starting rads 3 weeks after chemo ends doesn't help at all.Yell
  • Jane_M
    edited February 2009

And how many weekds to recover from the effects of rads?

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2009

Jane and Genia,

Enough with the competition! We love both of you and want you better! My onc told me abt the 6 weeks to recover from chemo. And I believe her as it took that long for me to feel better. Jane, are you taking iron? The blood transfusion helps, but you need to eat right and take your vitamins.

Genia, did they give you any other potassium, like in an IV? That works quicker. If necessary, they could give you Lasix and Potassium in an IV. The Lasix would get rid of fluid, the Potasium would only keep you where you are at. Have you been eating?

You both are in my prayers, as always!

D

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

Jane - I think it takes about a month to recover from rads...at least that's what I heard when my b/f had it last year.

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited February 2009

No they didn't give me any potassium....I didn't understand that either!  They had me hooked up to an IV so it would have been easy to do.  I took one of my hubby's antihistimine pills last night......and today....I'm not nearly as dizzy as I was.  So I'm gonna take another one tonight.  Can't take them during they day......they knock me out.

I'm feeling better today......thank God!  Yesterday was BAD!  

I didn't realize RADS had any SE's other than the skin maybe burning a little.  Wow.....sure hope I don't have to have them.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2009

Genia,

Glad you are better, a little anyway. I think it takes a month or two after chemo, at least, for the blood counts to rebound. I went in a month and a half after my last chemo, and my whites were still low. My reds were creeping up, but I was told to take a multi-vitamin with iron throughout chemo.

I have started feeling the fatigue from Rads. Its still nothing like chemo. My skin is sore and itches. Whine Whine Moan Moan. I have nothing to complain about!!!!

Jules, I hear at least 2 weeks post rads, more likely a month to bounce back.

Cancer SUX!!! It just keeps coming! Chemo, surgery, rads, pills for hormones! aaack!!

Spring...

• Jane_M
    edited February 2009

I take a multi + iron.  I also take a calcium, magnesium, zinc compound.  Genia - oranges and orange juice have lots of potassium as do bananas.  If you like them, it might help.  I try to eat a banana every day.  I haven't left the house all day.  I haven't even got dressed.  I sat here in the chair and took pictures of my cat.  My dogs wouldn't cooperate. 

One day at a time, ladies....One day at a time.

• Springtime
    edited February 2009

Took pictures of the cat, I LOVE IT!!! LOL!!! Jane, you crack me up!!!

Something else has lots of potassium, but now I can't remember what the heck it is. 

OK, I looked on Google: Here are High Potassium foods!!!

HIGH potassium (more than 225 milligrams per 1/2 c. serving)

These foods would be beneficial to athletes or to others who incur heavy fluid loss. Patients on potassium-restricted diets should avoid them, or eat them sparingly, as advised by their nutritionist.

• All meats, poultry and fish are high in potassium.
    • Apricots (fresh more so than canned)
    • Avocado
    • Banana
    • Cantaloupe
    • Honeydew
    • Kiwi
    • Lima beans
    • Milk
    • Oranges and orange juice
    • Potatoes (can be reduced to moderate by soaking peeled, sliced potatoes overnight before cooking)
    • Prunes
    • Spinach
    • Tomatoes
    • Vegetable juice
    • Winter squash
  • Genia
    edited February 2009

Well I've eaten 5 bananas since last night.......it's gonna come back up one way or another!!!  lol

I'll probably go into potassium overdrive or something stupid like that.......

I have lost some of the fluid today......so at least I don't feel like an overstuffed grape this evening!  Sure glad I don't have any more chemo....don't think I could do one more dose!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

Jane - I didn't get dressed today either! woohoo! I played several games of "Skip Bo" (a card game) with my b/f, read 1 magazine and did my laundry... and had an ocular migraine while eating dinner. LOL

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2009

well, I spent the whole day at home (my cousins house) .....I did get dressed....lol  My cousin lives near my surgeon and this is where I will stay when I have my surgery.  So glad to have a day of rest.  It really felt good not to have to go anywhere or do anything !!! 

Glad you are just a little better, Genia......at least you are not worse.  Spend some time just resting and let every thing else go.

Trude

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited February 2009

Hi Girls,

Genia, so sorry to hear you have had such an awful time, I pray that you will pick up really fast. We are all thinking of you are wishing you well.

It's odd how we all react differently to the treatment.

Just for comparison in radiation. I have had 21 tx and have 9  more to go.  So far I am slightly pink, but not sore and do not have any fatigue. Spring, hope you recover fast and don't get any worse. Thanks for the potassium foods, we should all take note.

Bar, lovely photo.

Juli and Jane, Oh to stay home and in your PJ's all day, what I want to know is, did you have a cabana boy over! Innocent

Take Care, Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    edited February 2009

I wanted to give you all the link to my profile page on my Yearbook in case you think you might be interested in joining.......it's a lot of fun.

http://www.myyearbook.com/genia11660 

Hope everyone has a good and healthy day today.....love you all

• Springtime
    edited February 2009

Genia, That's our girl, focusing on social networking rather than the grossies. I pray you are feeling better. and YES THANK YOU GOD there are no more treatments for Genia! I agree, let's not even try to imagine what would come of you having another one! Blech!

Chris - are you having your clavacal (collar bone) area zacpped in RADs? This is a real pain. I guess better safe than sorry, but brother, this part is not fun.Maybe I am just more "radio sensitive" as they say. I should not complain. My chemo was pretty smooth compared to some ladies here...and it will be over before March.

I can't wait to be on the other side of RADs, but then there is the whole ovary's in or out and Tamoxifen vs. AI's thing. Well, I'll worry about that later!!! LOL!!! It never ends!

Spring.

PS I am still in my PJs and it is Sunday at 11:24AM!!! It will be in the 70's here in NC again today, and we'll take another walk. Yesterday was beautiful! We went 3.25 miles... It feels so good to move about again, even with an itchy boob/back/collar bone!!! LOL.

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

Chris - my b/f is here...guess he is my cabana boy Wink

Tonight I am going to see the musical Footloose with my mom. So glad I didn't have chemo Friday, so I am not in any pain, just have the neuropathy issues.

I was reading online about Neurontin, and it says I can't take Aleve with it. Guess I'll have to take ibuprofen if I end up getting Taxotere on Friday.

Anyone have Taxotere instead of Taxol?

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday! Kiss

• Genia
    edited February 2009

I'm about afraid to say this.....but I had Taxotere Juli!   I think they are about the same....really!

I did find this.....and it sounds like they really ARE the same.

Taxol (paclitaxel) and Taxotere (docetaxel) are both from the same family of medications
    - the taxanes. Both of these show a high level of activity when used as single agents in metastatic breast cancer.

In reviews of reported studies, when compared with standard therapies Taxotere looks to be the most active single agent in treatment of metastatic breast cancer.

There are some differences in the treatment schedules of the 2 medications, and there are some differences in the side effects of these 2 medications. I have listed the side effects of both medications.

Taxotere: decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, flu-like symptoms, fluid retention, numbness and/or tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, decreased appetite.

Uncommon Side Effects: allergic-type reaction, blood pressure and heart rate changes, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash usually occurs on hands and feet, nail changes, menstrual cycle may become irregular or stop permanently, menopausal effects including hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Decreased desire for sex during treatment.

Taxol: decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, allergic-like reaction, blood pressure or heart rate changes during the infusion of the medication, mouth ulcers, numbness and/or tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, diarrhea.

Uncommon Side Effects: nausea and vomiting, nail changes, menstrual cycle may become irregular or stop permanently, menopausal effects including hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Decreased desire for sex during treatment.

• Genia
    edited February 2009

I don't see the fluid retention with the Taxol......

• Juli50
    edited February 2009
    Genia - Thanks for the info...looks like I need to talk him out giving me Taxotere!!! Yell
  • SHERRI7228
    SHERRI7228 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009

Hi !  I would like to join this group as well.  I started a Phase III blinded trial at UTSW in Dallas in July, and have now finished the trial and was on the long arm of the drug trial involving Avastin.  Since I truned out to be on the long arm I will have another additional 10 treatments of Avastin, 1 every three weeks which will take me until the end of June.  I am now having also 36 treatments of radiation, which should end around the 3rd of March. I'm tired, use Cortaid for my red itchy rash, BUT on the whole I have to say I feel GREAT compared to taking Chemo. My hair is growing in slowly, eyelashes are back, and eyebrows also, but all are still very short.  I have enjoyed my wigs believe it or not!  Takes me 2 seconds to get ready, and I try to have lots of fun everyday.  I think the fact that I drinks LOTS of water as really helped me....I use Penta water that I get a Whole Foods.

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2009

Juli,

My doctor would have switched to taxotere if I had issues with Taxol, so there must be something there.  Also Neurotin is frequently prescribed for neuropathy, so that sounds good as well.  I finished by 6th taxol/herceptin.  I've been getting a little of the pins/needle feeling on the tips of my fingers and toes.  My lungs have also felt *different*.  I can't really describe it.  Maybe dry.  The tips of my fingers and toes are also very dry.  Both my thumbs cracked open.  I'm using band-aids on them now to help.  Also, I was getting a little dot-like rash.  I blamed it on my cats - they must have somehow gotten fleas in the dead of winter even though they are indoors.  OK, not bright on my part, but I'm sure the flea treatment won't hurt them.  My onc said that herceptin can sometimes cause rashes. I asked if it could start as a little dot like rash, and he said, sometimes or maybe.  Anyway, so far, so good, but as you have said/shown, the effects are cumulative, so I'm keeping  a watch.  My hair has still not fallen out, so maybe it will stay.

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited February 2009

Hi Girls,

Just checked in to make sure Genia is alright, glad you see you here again.

Juli, forgot to say, I had taxotere too, no big problems for me.

Take care girls, will check in again later.

Singapore Chris 

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

Welcome Sherri! It's always nice to hear what helps others, and hopefully, we can be helpful to you!

Brandonmom - Where did you get the rash?

I have had 2 doses of the Neurontin, and my fingers have a lot less pain. I am typing today with more than my "ring" and pinky fingers! LOL

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Thanks for checking on me Chris.....I think I may be on the uphill swing now.  God I sure hope so......I'm so tired of this!

Hi Sherri.....glad to have you here..... part of this wonderful group of ladies that I love dearly!   We have a bond here......you will see what I'm talking about.

Juli.....they gave my dad Neurontin for his neuropathy.  He had it really bad in his feet and legs.  He wore leg braces that went to his knees.  It did help him a lot.  I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned taking it.

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Brandonmom....I'm jealous.....you still have HAIR???  Wow that's great girl........

I hope you continue to do half decent through all of this......hugs

• Springtime
    edited February 2009

Welcome Sherry! It is so great to have eyelashes back. I losing eyelashes and brows was worse than losing hair on head. No wig to cover that!!!

Genia, glad you are better. : ) 

Jules, did you like the show with your Mom?

I thought Taxotere was a bit harsher than Taxol?? Like more likely to lose nails and stuff? I don't know why I think that.Don't pay attention to me. I, after all, have CHEMO BRAIN!!!

Chris, I am itcy and red from rads and only on #17 tomorrow of 28. I thought having the wkend off would help, but I'm still itchy and red! I am hoping by mid march this will all be resolved. My rads go through last wk in Feb....

Spring (Beverly).

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2009

Hi al!

Genia, I hope you are feeling better! Don't get constipated from all the bananas!

I went to go see a play tonight, The Full Monty. It was hilarious! And they did take it all off!!!!! Then  went  to dinner with my friend and we had Sangria, sweet potato fries, scallops, portabello muhrooms....It was heavenly! I really needed it! Hope everyone is feeling good and had a nice weekend!

D

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

Beverly - Footloose was very good, and Denise saw The Full Monty. I guess it was "play" night!

And, don't faint, but I wore a wig for the 1st time! My hot flashes haven't been so bad from being on the Neurontin, I guess, so I gave it a whirl. LOL I told my mom and kids that I was incognito. hahaha...

Denise - dinner sounded yummy! Glad you had a good time. You deserved it!!!