Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2009

3 more to go, and my Clavicle is DONE! So the skin on my collar bone and back now get a break from the last three.

Betty's, my skin is very unhappy and grouchy. However, three more. I didn't get the bolus thing... The skin on my back is just starting to ever so lightly flake a bit, nothing bad. 

Tanzie, I am going comando, well no wig, but a ball cap, around the house. It will not be long till I ditch the wig. I think with more hair, it is just getting hotter and itchier! I did fine when I was mostly bald, lol. 

Chris, jumping in a pool fully clothed sounds excellent! I need to think up something to mark the end for me....

Spring (three more, three more, three more...)

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2009

Busy week... Monday was my birthday, many doctor appointments, biopsy yesterday, son had seizure at school today.....My head hurts!

Having been going commando all wek, even went to work that way. most people tell me I have a beautiful head, looks like I just have short hair....

Need to get out and exercise more. Will need to start adding hours at work, as bills are piling up.

Hope everyone is OK and feeling well.

D

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2009

Now I know why you guys were so excited about hair.....I just can't stop rubbing my head and my legs!!!!  It is so exciting to look in the mirror and really see somthing other than white fuzz  ...

Yeah!!!!!  What week, our water heater broke, the pool pump for the sweep gave out, my hubby got a ticket and our truck got a crack in the windshield......this was all just one day !!!! Yeek..  Oh, well......at least the chemo is done !!!

Happy weekend all

Trude

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2009

Trude - Yikes! What a week!

Beverly - Yay! only 3 more!!!!

Denise - Happy belated birthday! ...and MANY MORE!!!

I have GREAT news!!! January 30th was my last chemo!!! It's official - NO MORE CHEMO! Too bad I can barely walk! LOL... I will have to celebrate when my feet get better.

Now I have to go type an appraisal tonight, and 2 more this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Hugs! Kiss

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited February 2009

Hi Girls,

Priz, sorry you have had a bad day, is you son alright now?

Trude, at least chemo is finished, it puts everything else into perspective.

Juli, fantastic news, anymore would have worried us all, to much of that taxol is not good. I am sure you will get the feeling back in the hand and feet, as times moves on, hopefully, soon. I will jump in the pool for you.

Spring, almost there, I will be jumping in the pool for you too in a couple of days!

I must just tell you girl, at my party I was talking to some friend we are in a wine group with and although I knew it was our turn next and we had set the date, I thought it was in a weeks time, but it turns out it is tonight.  So I spent yesterday thing of the menu for 10 and organising the house.  Can you imagine if they had all turned up and I didn't know they were coming!!! I thought I was over chemo brain, but it just shows you, this would never have happened before.  Anyway I am all set or getting there.  Two parties in one week if a bit much really, but who am I to complain.

Jane I am going to wear one of your puppy tattoes tonight. Thanks

have a good weekend everyone.  Love Singapore Chris

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2009

lotsa love everyone and good morning...Wink and Tanzie, I'm Mina Moncur on FB...I just checked with my son to make sure that's right ...:lol:lol

I'm spiking low grade temps since Late Thursday...not bad 99 to 99.8 but when they spike I feel awful...I'll call her Monday...

I'm suiting up and going out for a walk to day...I don't want to admit it but I think my two walking trips to the grocery store  helped my bone agony...the pain seemed much less when I got in yesterday evening. Last night my phone mates told me I that I sounded like my old self. I will need to take Advil and sweat my temp down while I go out and about. It's weird how hot and sweaty I am in 30 degree weather...who knew. Cancer makes a body weird.

(((((Priz))))), I'm so sorry about your son. Happy belated birthday:)

Spring, three more...YEAH!

Trude, NO MORE CHEMO! Congratulations.

Juli...YEAH!!! NO more ...*doing my happy dance for ya*

Chris, having fun and happy thoughts envisioning you jumping in the pool.

Feeling flash of impending temp increase...arrr.

back soon....FB next.

xoxo

mina

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited February 2009

Juli - your nosebleeds should stop now, too.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2009

Juli and Trude, YOU BE DONE, GIRLS!!!! Woooooooooooooo!!! Imagine me jumping in the pool with Chirs for you!  :)  Or doing the "happy dance" with Mina!!! It is just the best feeling to be done.

2 more for me, just Monday and Tuesday, and then done with rads. I get two days off of not going to the cancer center!!! Then Friday I go for sereral blood tests and to discuss with my ONC what the next steps are. I am thinking Lupron shots to keep me in menopause, and AI. I am also going to ask about  Zometa too. (Bone strengthener that apparently has been show to decrease bone mets). I am thinking I will qualify as prior to all this I had a Dr. wanting me on Fosomax. We'll see.

Still walking! Up to over 16 miles this week! 

Trude, that hair thing is so great! I am now "running my fingers through" hair, and if feels so good. Still very short, but getting more by the day! I have to post a pic!

Spring (Beverly)

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited February 2009

Yaaay Trude and Juli......glad you are finished with your chemo.  Sure hope it doesn't take as long for you to bounce back as it has me.  I felt better yesterday.....today I've been tired.  But at least my bones are aching like they were.

Have any of you been having really bad dreams???  I've just started that this week.......they are awful!

Hope everyone is ok........ 

• Genia
    edited February 2009

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Denise........sorry I missed that!!!

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2009

How many of us are left to finish up chemo? There can't be that many now...Where's Ruth? I know I keep sounding like a broken record, but unless I missed a post, we haven't heard from her in quite a while....

Congratulations to all of us! We're not just fighters... we're WARRIORS!! 

• SingaporeChris
    edited February 2009

Hi girl,

Happy Sunday to all the warriors!  Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Robin.....Ruth hasn't been on here since Dec 18th.  I don't think she posted anything here even then.......   

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

My feet and ankles swelled up - I guess from going shopping with my mom after I got my Herceptin. My left foot/ankle is still swollen. I spent last night and all day today typing, so I've been off my feet. I'm having asthma too. I'm on Advair and usually don't get asthma anymore. Also, my onc thinks when my blood pressure is too low, my heart rate is too high. He said I need to add more salt ...LMAO  - Whoever heard of a doctor saying you need more salt in your diet. Is all this from the Taxol or the Herceptin?

Night all. Hugs Kiss

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Juli....the swelling is prob from the Taxol.  The Taxotere made me swell.  My Dr. said that is one of the side effects.  And since Taxol and Taxotere are from the same family I would presume it would be the same.  He never has mentioned Herceptin being the culprit. 

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Also Juli.....even tho you are sitting.....the sitting causes swelling in the lower legs.  Try to sit with your feet propped up in a chair or something while you are typing.

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

I type on my bed, so I can keep my feet elevated, but sometimes my left leg hangs down over the side...gotta tell it to stay on the bed! I actually see part of my left ankle this morning...yay!

Genia - thanks for all the tips! how are you feeling g/f?

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2009

I'm still doing chemo.  Only 4 more to go, though!  That is if you don't count Herceptin.  Herceptin will be for a year, so last treatment in December.  My hair is starting to curl more, but it looks less like I am a rebel, and more like I just have short hair.

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Doing a bit better Juli......bones are still hurting.  And I get tired very easy......but its better than it was.

Thanks for asking.......hugssssss      

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited February 2009

Genia - Are you still having the bone scan done on Tuesday?

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Yes...and the MRI.  I was supposed to do the MRI Friday.....but I was in so much pain I didn't feel like laying there for an hour on my stomach.  Not gonna be much better Tues.  I'll just take a pain pill and do the best I can.

• SingaporeChris
    edited February 2009

Hi girls,

Genia, hope you feel good enough to have your scans, it's always best to know what is going on, even if it's nothing and can move on. Some of these side effect really take their toll on the body. Hope all goes well.

Juli, make sure you tell that leg to stay put on the bed! It needs rest and elevation. Hope the swelling goes down soon.

Brandonmom, 4 is a very small number and will be gone soon. A lot of people are also on herceptin so you won't be left out.

I am feeling good, I went for my first proper swim this morning, it felt great.

Take care everyone. Singapore Chris

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

I'm still struggling to breathe. Can't wait till tomorrow so I can see a doctor. It's not good to use my inhaler as much as I have this weekend. Maybe I have Bronchitis, but my only symptom is tight airways. Anyone got a clue? My back hurts from trying to get air. Guess I'll be sleeping upright again.

Hugs Kiss

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2009

Juli,

I'm betting it is the taxol.  My lungs sometimes feel very dry.  I feel like I need to take a big deep breath.  My Dr did ask me how my breathing was, so there must be something there.  I know your reactions to Taxol have been much stronger than mine.

• Juli50
    edited February 2009

Brandonmom - thanks, hope that's all it is. Will let you know.

• Genia
    edited February 2009

Juli....you could be holding fluid in your stomach or upper part of your body which makes it very hard to breathe.  You might ask him about that.  I know when I was swelling so bad.....it was so hard to get a good breath.  And any kind of exertion made it even worse.

And while I'm thinkin about it.......when your hair grows out.....you need a short preppy hairstyle.  You are such a beautiful lady.....and the more of your face you can see the better.  That's why you look so good in all your hats.  You are def a short hair kinda gal!!!

I used to be a hairstylist......can ya tell?  lolol

• theprettiestmess
    edited February 2009

Ok... I'm done with chemo, my hair has been coming back in pretty nicely since having shaved it off three times, and now it's falling out again?? Tell me it isn't SO!! It can't be hair that's leftover, because it's been completely taken off to the scalp! All I have to do is brush my palm over my head and it's covered with inch long silver hair.  I'm so disappointed! Has anyone else had this happen? 

I think I may cry now...~sighs & sniffs~ 

Robin
  • SingaporeChris
    edited February 2009

Hi Girls,

Juli, I am worried about you, do you think you should leave it until the morning, not being able to breath is pretty serious, please call the doctor if you need to, that's what they are there for.

Genia, you could recommend a new style for us all, based upon our features..... start a new business based in your experience with bald cancer women. People would sure pay for it, I know I would. I still don't really know what style to have. At the moment all I want is hair.

Robin, it is usual to lose some of your hair about 3 weeks after you finish chemo, very dissapoining I know.  It happened to me and a lot of others I know.  They were also very frightened and thought it was never going to grow back.  Try not to worry, it will come back and you may not lose it all.  I lost an awful lot after my last chemo in England over Christmas, very upsetting, but there is nothing to be done.  Just be happy, that chemo is over and life will return to normal.  I found that not having hair was one thing, and I could cope with it, but waiting for it to grow back was much much harder.  Hang in there, all will be well.

Take Care, Singapore Chris x

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2009

Genia-- Good luck on your scans!

Juli- No more chemo deserves a Whoot!  Please let us know what the doc says about your breathing. Not being able to get enough oxygen is scary!

Robin-- Great big hugs to you!  And if you don't mind my saying so-- That Sucks! :/   Like Chris said though, hang in there, chica.

Chris-- Two parties in one week sound like fun. :)  But then I'm one of  those that can't go enough.. and can't have people over enough. lol

BrandonMom- 4 more tx to go. You are whittling them down!  I hope they all go smoothly and are SE free!

Jane-- You'll have to post a few quilt pics on FB.  I'd love to see them. :)

Mina- Just 'friended' you!

Question -- For those of you going commando with baby hair:   Is anyone else suddenly finding that it's become open hair stroking season?  I can't tell you the number of people that want to handle my head now! lol  Thankfully most people ask. "Can I touch it?"  But then there are a few that just reach out and pet me on their own. Anyone else?

Much love,

Lei

• theprettiestmess
    edited February 2009

Tanzie...Yes ma'am... I'd start purring...I'll probably shed just like a cat, too! 

Juli...I'll also wager that it's the Taxol that's causing your breathing probs...I was short-winded and always felt like I couldn't breathe deeply enough.