Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• soccermom96
    soccermom96 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2009
    Options

Angela----CONGRATS!!!  We are so excited for you.  Free of the iron monsters.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  33 more days for me. 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura, honey bun....I have not been able to get to the computer the past two days, other than to check on Karen's daughter Olivia.  So I am just now reading your post about the recommended radiation.  I felt a "fight or flight" panic just READING it - so I can only just imagine how much of a blow it might have been for you....I just am so, so sorry you have to go through this.

Not sure if you have seen this....an article which came out two days ago about this very topic - from the University of Michigan.  The parameters seem to be a large tumor [this is usually defined by 5 cm or larger in most treatises] and 4 or more positive lymph nodes.  It states that women with "fewer" positive nodes should consider radiation as well. But you had a singular positive node.  So ask your doctor about defining what constitutes the "identifiable high risk group."  This new study will come out in the March issue of "Cancer" magazine. 

http://www.cancer.med.umich.edu/news/radiation-after-mastectomy09.shtml

I am going to be praying for absolute clarity - so that you can rest comfortably with whatever decision you make!

Deborah

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks Deborah.

With me.. it is my "young age" 41, the grade tumor 3, the fact that three of my nodes lit up on the MRI prior to chemo and surgery... and I am her2+++... ( very aggressive cancer)... all that, looped into one.. make me higher risk.

:(

I am very unhappy about this... but my life is more important than anything else... of course. Some of us just have to do it ALL and have 2 yrs of treatment instead of one yr or less. It is just my cross I suppose... I don't even pretend to understand it.

Thank you for your caring!!! I will just do what I have to do...

• psalmist
    psalmist Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2009
    Options

Congrats, Angie!  Glad you had your exchange.  Hope you are feeling GREAT.

• PinkyLee
    PinkyLee Member Posts: 427
    edited February 2009
    Options

Okay ladies,

I haven't read all the post, but feel this is where I need to be tonight.

I had bi-lateral in Sept.  Finished fills in November.  PS said in January that I will have exchange surgery sometimes in Feb.  Today I got the date of Feb 26th. 

I will be 53 on Feb 15th.  I am so afraid of surgery this time.  I know this will be a lot easier than the removal and the expanders, but I seem to have bad reaction to the drugs.  I itch and vomit after surgery. 

My ps has said that he will move my implants closer together during this surgery.  I don't like how I look at all with these expanders.  One is high, one is square and I seem to have gain pockets on my sides also.  He said that he is planning to lipo my sides during the exchange. 

I hope and pray that I will look human when it is all over.  Four months of square two toned foobs has been enough for me. 

I have finally gotten comfortable enough that I will show my chest in bed to my SO.  He hasn't complained, other than to say once that "my bullets were poking him" .  I don't want foobs that poke my man! 

I will be having silicone implants since they felt the most normal in the office.

I hope I calm down before the surgery.

Doesn't anyone know how long after exchange before I can get nipples?

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Pinky Lee... this is probably a good place to get your answer.. if not here... do try the Oct. Recon. thread. Those ladies are all done and some have nips.. some don't.. but for sure can tell you about exchange... Make them give you some serious anti-nausea meds for your exchange... no one should get sick anymore.. they have good stuff!

You should find your answer soon...

Laura

• PinkyLee
    PinkyLee Member Posts: 427
    edited February 2009
    Options

I will check that thread now.  I am overly anxious tonight.  I feel worst than when waiting for the initial surgery for some reason.

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ahhhh.. I am sorry... it all just stinks really... but so many ladies really so like their results after exchange.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura - Do whatever you need to do to continue on in this life - for you have a purpose here....

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  [Jer. 29:11]

Deborah

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thank you Deborah. You are right. I wish more doctors would have been more up front from me the start.. but I am a gray girl... like I see you were faced with too.

I am going to do the rads. I will call tomorrow to get it all up. Too many things have told me/us.. I need the rads.

So... Here I go... I will do the rads.. pray for my heart ... and get my exchange in October/Nov.

It will be ok I suppose... Thank you for the scripture! I love that one! " For know that I have plans for you...."  Love it!

• Mykidsmom
    Mykidsmom Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura - Now you know what you are going to do. So, perhaps it is a little easier. Maybe, I am so sorry for you that you have to deal w/ all of this. I just wish I could step in your house and give you a real hug. Know that I care!

PinkyLee - I wonder why you are more worried about the exchange than the original BMx. From all accounts the ladies tell us that the exchange is much easier than the original surgery. Perhaps it is because it is just too much altogether. I also had problems w/ nausea after my last surgery. The anesthesiologist told me to make sure that I mention it to them and they will pre-medicate. I understand that should help a lot. I don't know how long after the exchange the nips can be scheduled, but I believe it is around 3 months. And just think - no more hard boxes on your chest! We are there for you lady! You will be glad to have it behind you!

• Mykidsmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Opps, I forgot to post my question. This is kind of a LONG RANGE one, but the worry wart in me has to ask. I know that implants do not last forever. When they need to be replaced, do you know where the incision is? Do we then have to go back through nips and tats and the whole bit? I know... it's 10 + years down the road. Can you see why I had to have a prophylactic BM? There is NO WAY I could deal w/ testing every three months!

This site has been a godsend to me. And my heart continues to go out to everyone, especially (of course) Moody and her daughter, Olivia. But also, to everyone who has to deal w/ this dx.

Take care ladies! You are all my friends! - Jean

• ngcm05
    ngcm05 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good luck to everyone who is having surgery next week!  So exciting!  I have my final fill Wed. (to 700cc and I think I might pop!). 

Looper - let us know how it goes with the exchange.

Jeanie - how did everything go??

GG

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thank you Jean. Yes, I have made up my mind, I hate the choice I made, but I know it was the Godly choice. So... His way takes over mine. I will be fine,.

I do not know the answer to your  implant question...

Good Luck to everyone having surgery !!!!!!!!!! Let us know how you do!!! I am soooooo excited for you!! Your time has finally come...wahoooooooooooo

• susan13
    susan13 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hey Laura,

I hope you feel better about your decision.  I too decided to hold off on my exchange until after my rads is done.  I agonized over the decision as my docs told me it was MY decision to make.  I feel as if I had made the right choice for me.  I think I need to do the rads as soon as I can after my new round of chemo is done instead of doing the exchange first.  So I think rads for me will start in April. Then I will hopefully have my exchange in November, December the absolute latest.  It'll be a full year since my initial surgery that month!

Sue

• PanamaBound
    PanamaBound Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Options

Angela - Congratulations on your new freedom from the Iron Maiden expanders.  I'm 28 days behind you.  Enjoy the soft boobies.

Cindy

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2009
    Options

Look for 2 updates on Prayer site  3:15 eastern time

• traceyz
    traceyz Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2009
    Options

YAY Laura!!  Not Yay because you have to do rads but yay because you have made up your mind. I think you made a wise choice, I really value Dr Arthur's wisdom and knowledge, and when he advised rads that was a good indicator. So just know that you will do it, it will be over before you know it, and you will have done EVERYTHING possible to kick BC for good!! I am so proud of you for being strong and smart! Remember we are here for you all the way. Go get er done girl!!Wink

Tracey

• traceyz
    edited February 2009
    Options

BTW Laura,

Im her2+.....whats her2+++??

• firstmate
    firstmate Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2009
    Options

I am a Sept bil exchange.  I was filled to 650 cc and have 700 cc Mentor Smooth Round High profile.  The right one looks good.  I had to have a revision on the left for capsulotomy and still have some issues with the left side.   The exchange and revision surgeries are so much easier than the mastectomy.  And the implants are much more comfortable than the expanders.  I can sleep on my stomach now.

• CAZ
    CAZ Member Posts: 94
    edited February 2009
    Options

PinkyLee,

While I was nauseated one time after the PBM, I wasn't sick at all after the exchange.  The hydrocodone/ibuprofen I took after PBM did make me itch, but I only needed it for one day after the exchange.  Try not to worry.  It is so much easier on your body this time around and the implants are a wonderful improvement.  I had to wait 2 months between exchange and nipple surgery.  I now have to wait 8 weeks before tattoos.

Jean,

They shouldn't have to remove any skin to replace an old implant just make an incision long enough to get the old one out and put the new one in.  My PS feels that the implants usually last 10-15 years at least.  I'm sure your mileage may vary.  Best of luck.

Carol(AZ)

• psalmist
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura - Praying for you this week.  What a tough thing to face.  A good friend of mine just finished her rads (she has the same kind of cancer as you) and is still in chemo.  The radiation was kind of tough a few times, and she had some bad weeks.   Why tell you this?   My friend called some of us when she was really struggling and we just sat with her and let her talk.  If you have some face-time with good friends during your treatment, it might help you get through more positively.  We didn't mind being there for her, and it really helped her cope just to have someone to call and say, "I feel like cr_ _  today - I need your help."     

My friend is finished with radiation now (two months ago) and feels GREAT!  She's doing so well, it's like she never had cancer. Her hair is all grown back and her sunny disposition is back, too.  She's amazing.  I get the feeling you are a pretty amazing gal, too.  Just wanted to share with you that if you have to lean on your friends a little more than usual, they won't mind.  And in the end, it's all worth it.  Your life is so precious.   

Everything works together for good.  Hang in there.  We're pulling for you!

• psalmist
    edited February 2009
    Options

Pinky Lee,

My husband has a TERRIBLE time with anesthesia and any kind of narcotic pain relieving drugs.  Morphine and Demerol made him vomit, and so did the pain relievers Hydrocodone, and any Tylenol product with Codeine.  He had major back surgery and could only take Extra-Strength Tylenol.  So, anytime he faces surgery or some kind of procedure involving drugs, he gets very nervous.  That could be most of your problem - just the after effects are SO uncomfortable to some people, even moreso than the surgical pain.

The doctors used Fentanyl as an anesthesia on him recently and coupled with Phenergan (anti-nausea) in his I.V., he had significantly less nausea. Fentanyl is usually used as pain management for cancer break-through pain.  Because other opioids make him sick, he was surprised he tolerated it as well as he did.

Tell your doctor all the drugs that have made you sick in the past and maybe they can find an alternative anesthesia coupled with some anti-nausea drugs to help you cope.  Be sure to have someone in the room with you monitoring your first few hours after surgery.  My husband was so drugged at one point the doctor made me sit with him and keep him semi-awake (the Phenergan really knocks him flat!).

My mom also struggles with nausea, and I did too for a few hours after my mastectomy surgery and then two weeks later for my lymph dissection. I threw up in the car on the way home both times.  Not a fun thing - thank God for those little plastic containers they send home with you!  : )  The druggy feeling of surgery does cause nausea, but I've heard it is also a physiological response to the trauma your body has experienced.  

Best of luck to you.  My exchange is March 3rd.  I'm actually excited about it!  I want these iron boobs off!  : )

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ladies.. you are so kind to me... and everyone here!!!  :) We and I just love ya!!!!

I know I must do rads now... sooo.. I just will.. and I will do great! I will keep my head high.. I will try to support anyone going through rads and those who have expanders in like me.. and left sided BC...:) YOU ALL lift me up!

Tracey... Her2+++ just my way of saying Her2 positive.

If you are Low Her2+ you might be a grade 1... Highly Her2+ aggressive... Grade 3... Med. Her2+ grade 2... like you.

Dr Arthur said you and I were VERY close... but I was a little worse off... :(... so rads for me. If you would have been a grade 3 and 2 nodes... rads for you...:)... but you are safe sister and made the RIGHT choice for you!!!!...

I love you all!

Laura

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options
    psalmist... THANK YOU for your support !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are very kind!!!!!
  • traceyz
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura,

I just KNOW that you are gonna do fine with rads. My PS said the majority of women with expanders in who do rads have NOOOOOOO problems!! And it makes me happy that you will never have to 2nd guess yourself. You are a special person Laura, I hope you know that. Thank you for reassurring me about my choice. I really appreciated everything you said. All my friends who have done rads say the only thing that was a pain with rads was going every day, other than that they all did good. One of my friends even had implants in and she is fine!! You will be to! We are all behind you little precious one!!Wink

Tracey

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2009
    Options

Everyone needs to go to the prayer topic to see the pictures of Olivia sitting up in bed eating and smiling!!!!!!!!!!  Praise God

• rockwell_girl
    rockwell_girl Member Posts: 517
    edited February 2009
    Options

it's great seeing a smile on that little girls face  again : - )

• psalmist
    edited February 2009
    Options

Awesome news about Olivia!  Thank God.

• Mykidsmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

I just wanted to say that this is a wonderful website full of wonderful ladies. And I am so excited that Karen's daughter is sitting up in bed!!!!!!!!!!!! We all are! -Jean