Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• FACECRAFTER
    FACECRAFTER Member Posts: 433
    edited February 2009
    Options

Estepp,

A great bit of insight.  It is so wonderful that we get the benefit of all your research, well not just yours but everyone's on these boards.  It's like having someone else take the test for you!!

I will definitely look into the fill before rads.  Sounds good to me.  I am going to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa for my surgery,and fills. Hopefully their protocol is the same as MD Anderson's, if not, we'll have to talk...  JUDY

• Vinogal
    Vinogal Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hey exchangees........just returned home frm the hospital......lost the expander that I had an infection and serom in.......so that has put me behind yet again......PS says she'll put a new expander in as soon as everything looks good........so I am keeping fingers crossed that this is soon........trying to stay positive........but it just seems that my luck is all bad.......of couse with today being Friday the 13th........I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Cheers.......and here's hoping that you all are having better luck than me!

Jax

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    edited February 2009
    Options

JAX...... I am soooooooooooooooo sorry...... such a pisser.. one step forward 2 steps back.. eeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Well sister... I will hang here with you at exchange city.. as now I have to do rads and will be here till the fall!

I am sorry for you.. I really am..

Peace!

Laura

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hey Ladies

Sorry I have been MIA.  Had my final chemo TX last Friday and that hit me Sunday/Monday.  On Wednesday night we had a storm blow through here and we lost power until now!  That was no fun!  No power, no heat and no water...until the neighbor let us plug into his generator and we were at least able to get the water pump going!

I'll have to catch up on all the posts!  Now I'm heading to my warm bed!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Lisa... so sorry you were hit by that... I hear it was really bad for many...

I love your new avatar! You are a sexy babe with no hair!!! CONGRATS to the last chemo... I sure remember my last.. happy yet freaked out...

We have had to live off a generator here for about a week and a half at the longest( in the past )....I am glad you are back in business!!!!!

Laura

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673
    edited February 2009
    Options

I have my surgery date for the exchange 4-23.  It seems so long away, but I feel better just having a date.

• YvonneB
    YvonneB Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2009
    Options

How are you feeling Laura? Hope things are settling down again.

I agree with listening to the doc in charge at the moment!  If you try to listen to them all you will be overwhelmed with misinformation.  I think we will all be walking text books by the time we get through this!  I am also trying to support my 71 yr old mom who is also 5 months post mast.  She didn't go through the reconstruction process but is dealing with some nasty hormone-blocking drugs right now.  Do I have bad genes or what?? Foot in mouth

Have a great Valentine's day ladies!

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2009
    Options

Happy Valentines' Day to every one.

I named mine "stripper girl" and "Saggy Aggy" (who will be leaving the building shortly to be restuffed and hauled up to the level of stripper girl. 

After the basement cleaning I meant.....after DH and I talked, we decided to do that first, as you don't fix the shutters until you shore up the foundation.

Laura, I'm glad you are back to full speed there lady and feeling great.  You are the sweetest thing in the world and i love you.  Thank you so much.

p.s soccer mom, yes, I was on a full 10 days of antibiotics each time, my PS believes it lowers the risk for infection during hopsital exposure to everything.  He says "better safe than sorry"   I agreed!

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2009
    Options

oops: to Daisy:  Did he say why?  I asked for  saline and my PS said he doesn't do that!  When i asked why he said that aesthetically the silicone looked better and that medically, it is considered utterly safe, even for lupus/immune patients. 

I think he should give you an answer to as to why?  I'm sure he has a good reason, but if you don't like it, why find a new guy.

good luck

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited February 2009
    Options

Daisy - Is your PS at least going to let you have some input re: which manufacturer [i.e., Mentor or Allergan] style [profile] you will have, albeit saline?  Not that there is anything wrong with saline, but certainly shouldn't he explain to you WHY it must be saline?  Perhaps it has to do with your insurance....I cannot imagine this.....but why don't you ask around?

Once you find out which manufacturer{s} he uses we can help you with the new foobies.  Also, get the measurements on your current expanders.  If you do not have the card which describes your expanders, you can measure them yourself - width, height and projection.

Deborah

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jax:  We will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers that all goes well next time.  It WILL happen....I cannot imagine how tough it must be to go through all of this....hang in there!!!!

• Mykidsmom
    Mykidsmom Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2009
    Options

Well ladies.... I step out for a day and you all go crazy w/ posts.

Jax - I am SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! You fought the good fight! I am adding you to our list as joining us soon.

Lisa - Great picture. And congratulations on your last chemo! Way to go girl!!!!!!!!

Daisy - I changed your date. Interesting that your PS only does saline. My PS offered either and gave me pros and cons of each. I think I am going silicone, they seem softer to me.

Laura - I am w/ Annie. Yuo are the sweetest! Thanks for always being there for everyone.

Deborah - Thanks for the offer to help. I am about to start my own business, so I am not sure how much time I will have. I will PM you my email address and then I can email you the document that I am updating. Help would be appreciated!

Take care ladies. Happy Valentines Day! - Jean

• Cathee
    Cathee Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thank you for adding me Jean.  Looks like I am up next!!! I have a lot to look forward to. Two weeks after my exchange I am heading out to Texas (from California) to stay with my kids.  My daughter is having our first grandchild!!!  I will be staying 6 months to help her out with her business while she takes care of the baby.  Our family is born and raised native Californians but its one of those E Harmony stories and a tall cute Texas stole my daughters heart (and ours too!) so she moved to Texas and both her brothers followed ......so offf I go!!!!

Peaceful and Painfree Sleep to everyone this weekend....

countdown February 17th

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

You ladies make me blush... you are ALL there for me just as much, or more than, I am for you! We are all in this huge team huh?  Team Ta Ta's...LOL... I  better stop with the names.. I am the queen of names around here... My youngest son and his friends are " the brat pack".. The ladies at work are my " army"... etc.. I could go on... So  enough..Smile

OH MY Cathee.. how hard it will be to have your grandchild in Texas...or all your kids for that matter...eekkkk,, I think I would die...BUT.. if you can spend 6 months a yr there.. and 6 months in Cali... might not be too bad... Have fun! Grandchildren are soooooooooo awesome!

I am sooooooooooo excited for your and everyone's exchange... I WISH I was joining you.

I am soooooooooooooooooo second guessing my rads choice... oh well.....

You are gonna go great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gods Love,

Laura

• lisasayers
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks to everybody on the compliments on my new picture.  That was actually taken the night of my last chemo treatment...I was on the way out the door to teach my Zumba class.  We actually had a celebration that night....I had 30 people show up and we had a great time. 

I told my daughter I may keep my head shaved...but she said that is her thing.  She has alopecia and is bald...although she wishes hers would grow back.  Not easy for a n 18 year old.

Daisy, I can't believe you PS is telling you what you have to do!  That is just crazy!

Cathee congrats on the first grandbaby!  Our son (technically my stepson but we don't use that word) and his wife and our two grandkids are coming this Thursday.  We will be meeting the youngest for the first time...he was born on Thanksgiving! 

Well, heading out with hubby for Valentine's day!  Hope you are all enjoying the day as well!

Hugs to all

Lisa

• ilovemykids
    ilovemykids Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2009
    Options

HI Ladies,

I am new to this board.  I saw my PS yesterday and I am getting ready for my exchange.  I just do not know how to choose what type of implants to get.  My PS told me that if I want to be "softer" than I am that I would have to go with silicone.  I see that many of you are choosing that.  Please let me know what you do about the safety of it.  Also I am nervous about the size issue.  I am happy with the size that I am with the current expanders..they have 500cc's in them.  Will that be the size of the implants?  My PS told me that when she does the exchange, she will bring in a couple and make the decision in the operating room as to what looks the best.  Is the at the norm?

Thanks

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Welcome Elizabeth!

Someone will pipe in with your answers... Moody and Sandy.. and....a few others are AWESOME at answering those questions..I am not..hehe... give it some time and those gals will surface.. If not.. I will go find them for you...:) :)

Again.. welcome... tell us your exchange date.

Laura

• Cathee
    Cathee Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2009
    Options

Welcome Elizabeth,

This is a youtube site that tells about silicone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1zAnRwybxA&feature=related  

Hope this helps

• samiam40
    samiam40 Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2009
    Options

Daisy, what your ps said just screams 2nd opinion to me.  Isn't there anyone else you can see.  I had 2 plastic surgery consults and insurance paid for both.

Not only have silicone impants been widely available for some time, my ps actually said exactly the opposite of yours, like anniealso's ps.  In my ps's experience, people are so much happier with the silicone implants that she hesitates to do the operation if people insist on saline.  She told a funny story (I'm sure a very rare anecdote) about a woman who was on her way to her son's wedding when her saline implant deflated.  Again, I'm sure that's very rare, but so is the plastic surgeon who insists that the most up to date technology is not a possiblity for you.

• tami48
    tami48 Member Posts: 270
    edited February 2009
    Options

Daisy, please get a 2nd opinion.  My PS gave me a choice between saline and silicone.  I asked his opinion and he felt I would like the silicone better.  I went with silicone, but at least I was given a choice.

<HUGS>

• Mykidsmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Cathee - You are welcome. Sounds like you have a couple of great events ahead of you. Double congratulations. Let us know how things go!

Laura - I am so sorry that the rads are still being second guessed. Assuming you do them, when do you start? I am even more sorry that they are being recommended. Seems like you have been through so much already!

Lisa - What is Zumba? And congratulations on your new grandchild are well. Lots of grandkids for our group!

Daisy - If it is any consulation, my cousin has a saline implant and is very happy w/ her's.

It is a sunny winter day here, think I will be outside enjoying it. Take care ladies!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jean... Hello....:)... I am personally second guessing myself.. but I am going to do them , as they are strongly being recommended to me. I start simulation Tuesday. ( this is where they mark the body...etc... I will NOT allow them to tattoo me.. so they will mark me with something else)...

I will get through this just like all the ladies here... no matter what we have had to do. Some uf us have 1 or 2 treatments for our cancer, some have 4 or 5 ... and then there are the beautiful that have many more, the rest of their lives. I really should shut my mouth and stop whining as really, this is what I am doing. I am not alone in any of this...

Sorry Ladies..  I KNOW you all are going through the very same things...

I am taking my youngest for his senior pictures today.. Cool

Cannot believe our baby graduates this year...

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

ilovemykids:  It is not just the # of cc's, but also the measurements - width, height, projection - of the expanders at final fill volume.  Do you have the manufacturer and style number of the expanders placed at the time of surgery?  Incidentally, how many of you were given a little plastic card with the manufacturer and style number of the expanders before you left the hospital?  My PS handed the card to my husband while I was coming out of anesthesia and even in my drugged state I had the foresight to say, "honey, please do not lose that card!"  

But you also could read through our very own moodyk13's initial thread which was sort of the precursor to the discussion of expanders vs. implants....and another reconstruction thread, which ultimately led to Jean creating the "Expander City" thread.  Here is the link:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/723289?page=1

A number of us discuss expander sizes vs. future implant sizes in this very long thread....

Deborah

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

What IS it about Texas?  My niece went to college there and never wants to return to California.  Other dear friends left there for a new job, planning to return to CA within five years and now would not think of leaving Texas.  I do love that state though.  Wonderful state for interior designers....

• Mykidsmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Deborah - I flew on a plane this week and I almost took my "card" with me. I was afraid I would set off the alarm. Wouldn't that have been a hoot?!?

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jean:  Yes, it would be a hoot.  Hooter.  I think I'll defer flying until after my exchange....I heard though that airports are not a problem - it is other security buildings which have set off alarms when expandered women walk through.  Just pray you do not get jury duty between now and the exchange!!! HAH!

• lisasayers
    edited February 2009
    Options

Mykidsmom...Zumba is a international rythm based fitness program.  I've been teaching since last April and I love it.  I teach 6 times a week right now and it really helped me get through chemo.  You can check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVdBH4vjLU

It is the only exercise program I have ever been able to stick with, let alone teach!  It is exercise in disguise! LOL

• hood1980
    hood1980 Member Posts: 168
    edited February 2009
    Options

Wow!  That looks like fun but I don't think my body can move like that!  Is there a class for beginners?

• ilovemykids
    ilovemykids Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2009
    Options

My expanders are mentor. filled to 500 cc's.  They are the type that can be left in as your implants if you like them.  She gave me the card for my wallet.  What should I be asking for?  I can schedule my date when I would like to, but I feel like I have too many questions right now...Please help and thanks for welcoming me!

Oh Whippetmom...we have a whippet too.  She is three years old and her name is Bella.

• Monique
    Monique Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

I agree with Hood1980 WOW that Zumba looks like fun :)