Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited March 2010

I JUST LOST A HOUR LONG POST-WHAT A PISSER!

SHORT VERSION= SV YOU DON'T DESERVE THE ABUSE COME STAY WITH DH AND I ONCE WE MOVE-HE HAS 17 YEARS SOBRIETY

SPAR I HAD BEAUTIFUL DESCRIPTION OF THE DESERT AS I AM DRIVING TO 13 RURAL COMMUNITIES IN THE EVENINGS THIS MONTH- I WILL REPOST IT TOMORROW

CONNIE- QUALITY OVER QUANTITY EVERY-TIME

NEWBIES WELCOME AND MIGHTY PODS- YOUR DRAW IS STRONG

CHEVY I AM WITH YOU -MAKE A PLANTER/BENCH/SMOKER OUT OF MOBY- MY DH WOULD SOIL HIS POO-POO STINKY UNDIES IF HE HEARD ME SAY THAT!

NIGHTIE NIGHTIE LOVE YA ALL

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited March 2010

Goodday Alyson,

Do you say gooddi' like the Aussies? Love the idea of walking to the grocery and coffee shop. But not  the typical situation in this country. Even in my small town it would be nearly a  6 mile round trip... carrying groceries. :-(  And that would only get me to the Dollar General... small town equivalent of Wal-mart. Is this walking helping you heal? Don't make things worse!!!

Melissa 5-19,

I still don't recognize you on here. Guess once my pea-brain is imprinted with an ID and an avatar I have a hard time rebooting. When is your big move? Are you packing already? I don't envy you all that work but it is one way to clean out stuff.

Illinois Lady,

Your poem is a good one for all of us. Thanks for the inspiration. Some morning I need a little kick in the pants.

It's still cold here! My morning walk has turned into an afternoon walk due to cold mornings. Is spring right around the corner?

pam 

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2010

Alyson, you were meant to stop at the cafe!  I'm so glad you could offer them some help and wise words.

Jackie, that's one of my favorite poems, too.  Thanks for reminding me about it.

Pam, spring IS just around the corner.  The sun is shining brightly here.  My iris are peaking through and the sunshine greatly improves my mood!

Hugs to all of you as you go about your day today. 

Rita

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,342
    edited March 2010

Yes, sun oh beautiful and wonderful health-giving sun.  I'm so loving this knowing that soon down the road we will pay for it with rain, but I'll deal with that when it comes.  Just need those health-giving inspirational rays to work their charm and magic now. 

Pam, I was listening to the Florida ( it is pretty broad and general here ) weather report and it sounded not very good.  Very coldish in most of the state and so not what you would hope for and expect.  I hope it turns around soon.  We should have some tulips wanting to come up and all sorts of wild growth should be making signs of buds just waiting for the right night-time temps to burst forth on the branches.  I so hope this summer is longer and better defined than last year.  Felt almost like we did not have a summer last year.  I will be be wishing I had saved more money and gotten new windows on my deck.....sigh !!!  There may still be time. 

Have to get to work now.  Hope you are all going to have a  wonderful, happy day.

Hugs, Jackie

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Jackie,

Jealous of your tulips! The only ones to be seen in Florida are in the grocery stores and garden shops. We just do not (normally!) have the dormant period they require. My hibiscus and bouganvilla look dead to the ground... we're not supposed to cut them back yet at it could stimulate new growth before the last freeze and totally kill the plant.  So hanging in suspense.

At least, have I said this before?... the cold in south Florida has killed off a lot of the invasive species like Pythons and iguanas. The lizards are like 2-3 feet long, very cold intolerant, and literally fall dead out of the trees if it gets too cold. So cold is good sometimes! And we get to wear those sweaters we just can't throw away.

Happy and healthy Friday everyone. I am going to see 2 of my grandchildren in Orlando tomorrow so will have a great day.

pam 

C

s 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2010

OMG falling lizards and pythons??? Makes my day look pretty OK. Actually watched Disc channel doc on the python invasion in FLA. And Jackie, thank you so much for the poem and for caring. Very honestly my fear is that I truly do not see that women recover from this cancer. I am so sorry for my view and do not mean to be a downer for all of you. In all of my research, the BC seems to come back in one form or another. Sorry for being so pessimistic but I am just very overwhelmed right now and having a lot of panic attacks. It just is not the time for me to make decisions about anything. I still have "chemo brain" and finding that when a catastrophe happens, like losing my car and my only means out of this HOUSE, I am paralyzed. I literally am finding that I cannot function at all. I feel very weak physically and emotionally and I simply cannot do much. I am not ruling out meeting with the new ONC next week, but all I seem to do right now is burst into tears at the drop of a hat. I am in a lot of physical pain (just still sore). I have always been incredibly strong and independant, but dumping my car and me in a situation that I could not get out of (literally) and having ice cold water hit my waist while I was in the driver's seat-then trying to struggle out of the car, It was just gut wrenching to me. I feel so powerless and afraid of everything right now. I mean like terrified. Looking to jump on Amtrak and head out west (like yesterday). It is so hard at my age and condition and I feel I have lost so much and own so little and nothing to show for my life. Sort of like, what is the point? I know I am really severely depressed (the car was the last straw) but I am staying in my little apartment right now-just to try and be safe. Truth is that it is not even safe here for me. Very tired of being so tough and having no partner (man) to really love and support me (husband killed years ago and I loved him so much). And though I live in a beautiful place, it is very isolated and often lonely here. The people who are here, live here because they do not like other people. We are true islanders!! The best thing to come out of this and the greatest gift is that I got to meet all of you. YOU SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW HOW IMPORTANT ALL OF YOU ARE TO ME. I love you all so very much. PODS ROCK!! SV

• illinoislady
    edited March 2010

S. Verticle...I am at work and cannot give you the answer I want too....but I will get with you soon.   Not much good to say hang in there.  I think we all tend to bring out platitudes when we are lost for real answers....but dear friend know please that it still is deeply felt in my heart.  You have been through so much and I personally want to validate all of your feelings.  Melissa -- you rock --- and don't ever forget that.  Your drive and spirit continue to pop up and squeeze out no matter what is going on.

Warm healing hugs,

Jackie

• melissa-5-19
    edited March 2010

OK I have confused some of you- melissa-5-19 is melissa1518- I had fraudulent activity on my bank account and change all identifiers on the web- I think this is the safest web site I post on but you never can tell and they have wiped me out in the past!!

Onward

part of my job is to travel out of town to 13 rural communities and support the volunteer firefighters. Last night drove out north, just as the sun was setting. The eastern mountains were in there deep purple majesty- heavy gray and blue clouds hung over the desert- their underbelly of the clouds was a beautiful golden apricot.  The western mountains were covered with deep snow and I had the urge to stop and make snow-angels....I did not however, I drove the hwy looking into Heaven and it was a wonderful drive- as I drove into the desert the Sun was lower in the sky and the eastern clouds underbelly turned a rose blush and the western clouds were a brilliant gold just like the Gates of Heaven.

Life goes on I taught my class and the volunteers were wonderful.

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Melissa 5-19 AKA 1518,

It sounds beautiful and your description makes me feel I am almost there.  I guess this is the beauty of the desert that everyone talks about. You will miss this when you move!

pam 

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2010

Melissa 519, I too had my identity stolen. My credit is beyond repair and my bank account and credit cards were cleaned out. The scam was traced to Nigeria through Eharmony!!! yeah, find your soul mate and then shoot him before he steals your shoes! This guy passed hijmself off as a Marine In Iraq out of Camp LeJeune-had photos of some marine and everything-a wholelife. They guy proposed marriage THEN I had him background checked (did not exist) but by that time, my ID was gone with the wind. It is a terrible thing to have happen to you. I am so sorry but so glad youare BAAAACK!!! SV

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2010
    Hello Ladies - I am at home and doing fine. This will be short as I am tired (meds). I officially now have a pair of foobs. Explain later. Love and hugs to ya'll. Chris  Oh, hope everyone is doing well, haven't had the energy to read posts, but will try to catch up.
  • melissa-5-19
    edited March 2010

SV - yeah this sucked- they were trying to take another 600.00 bucks as I was on the phone reporting it!

Pam it is beautiful, but you can't grow anything here without holding an umbrella over it! I need to be closer to sibs as I get older and you are right I will miss some things- but will gain more! Can't wait!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

Chris, congrats on the new foobs.  Rest up and heal well. 

Hi to all.  Haven't been posting here but have been keeping up every so often.

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2010

CHRIS--thanks so much for letting us know you are back!!  Get your rest and take your pain pills.

Gentle hugs.....

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2010

OH CHRIS, I MISSED THE POST I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL FREAKING DAY!! YOU ARE HOME AND YOU HAVE A NEW PAIR OF GALS WITH YOU!!!!! AND I HOPE SOME GOOD DRUGS. CAN YOU AT LEAST ADMIRE THEM YET??? LOTS OFLOVE, SV

AND YEAH, PATOO-MISS YOU. TOO MUCH GOING ON TO CHASE OTHER THREADS AND HONESTLY NO PLACE I'D RATHER BE

THAN WITH THE LADIES OF THE SEA. SWEET DREAMS PODS! SV

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2010

THE HOLY GRAIL OF GAS!

TOOT TOOT! RALLY ALL PODS! BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THIS BE ONE OF OUR KIN FARTING AMONGST THE ICEBERGS IN THE ANTARTIC OCEAN. RESEARCHERS WHO GOT THE SHOT BELIEVE IT TO BE THE FIRST PICTURE OF A WHALE FARTING. THE GIANT WHITE RING IS THE OUTLINE OF THE ACTUAL FART! ONCE THE GAS FROM SAID FART HIT THE BOW OF THE BOAT, HUMANS DISCOVERED A COMMON BOND. THE BLAST OF WHALE FART AIR WAS SO FOUL IT SENT EVERYONE RUNNING TO THE STERN OF THE BOAT. THIS WHALE HAS DONE THE POD PROUD AND, WHILE NOT AN ORCA, I THINK IT SHOULD BE ELECTED AN HONORARY MEMBER OF THE POD SQUAD! VOTES ANYONE? SV

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2010

Ah Geez, SV...I can't leave you alone for a MINUTE!   Wink  But you make me laugh!  You know I always wondered about that, (not) and now I know!  Ha!  Okay sure...an honorary member...fine.  

reeltchr ....So glad it is over!  Stay with us kiddo!...

And Patoo!  I wondered where your smiling face went!  I just usually post on this thread, & the Bottle 'O Tamoxifen one....And sometimes I am "nowhere"....Ha!  (or maybe watching Nascar) Cool 

Alyson....Isn't it funny how certain things happen, & it is like you were included in this bright magical happening?   Sometimes we are just so lucky to have these "little" things happen!  

Melissa1519....It is fun reading about your descriptions of the beautiful sky & clouds ! 

Okay gals, gotta get-r-goin!  xoxoxoxo Jeannette

• illinoislady
    edited March 2010

Count me in on that yes vote and Melissa the pictures you described of the desert were breath-taking and awe-inspiring.  Having lived around deserts -- just around, and visiting on occasion they are wonderful to behold.  There is so much life going on there, but for most it is not noticed much as it is a tough place many parts of the year.  I'm glad you are storing up memories to take with you to Missouri.

Not a big post but a lot of Saturday to get through today.  I'll be checking in later as I usually do.  Hope you all have a fantastic day. 

Warm healing hugs, Jackie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2010

Chris has a new look!  I'm so glad you're home!  Take care of yourself and rest!  YEA!!!!

I'm off to finish my taxes so I can get outside and enjoy this Illinois sunshine that's finally appeared!  I hope everyone has a great Saturday.  I'll catch up tomorrow with everyone's posts.

Hugs to all of you...

Rita

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

Thanks all.  I'm all over the boards, posting here and there.  Post mainly on the prayer and exercise threads because it keeps me motivated.  I'm down over 10 lbs in 3 months -  Whoo Hoo!  But I do read here and there to keep up with the antics of you funny folks.

Gotta go. 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited March 2010

Congratulations, Patoo, on the weight loss!  I'm back on WW, doing the online subscription.  I picked up 8 to 10 lbs during my bc recovery period and now want to drop those lbs as warm weather gets near.  Alyson, thanks for sharing your experiences during your morning walk.  That sounds so nice to be able to walk to a coffee shop and grocery store.  We walk in the neighborhood for exercise then get in our car to go to the pharmacy or post office or any type of store for shopping. 

SV, I'm so hoping you'll make the best decision for your future wellbeing.  The idea of no treatment scares me.  Chevyboy, my DH is a Nascar fan.  We went to races at Rockingham, NC, and in PA (my brain won't come up with the track).  The worst part of going to NASCAR races is getting out of the parking lot afterwards!  You have to take good ear protection, too.  The noise is deafening.  Heard on the weather channel today that NASCAR is the #1 spectator sport in America.  I usually wait until near the end and watch the final laps. 

Today is lovely here.  Sunny and mild.  The fruit trees are putting out blossoms.  The jonquils and daffodils are blooming in yards.  Also lots of pansies, which are a winter plant here.  A large tulip magnolia is in full bloom in my front yard.  Also several camellias are in bloom.  In a few weeks the landscape will burst into color when the azaleas, wisteria and bridal wreath bloom.  That's when I have to double or triple my allergy meds!  Did I mention that all the weeds in my large yard look very happy? 

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2010
    HEY CHRIS, WHEN CAN YOU COME OUT AND PLAY? HOW ARE U FEELING? LOTS OF PRAYERS YOUR WAY FOR QUICK HEALING AND A JOB WELL-DONE. HEY CAROLE AND PATOO, YEAH ON THE WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS. OH CAROLE, I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW JEALOUS I AM OF YOUR FLOWERS-THE GARDEN SOUNDS LIKE HEAVEN AND PLZ POST PICS WHEN THE HONIES START TO BURST FORTH. I GOT UNDER THE HOOD OF 'MOBY DICK' TODAY (ONCE A GEARHEAD, ALWAYS A GEARHEAD) AND ACTUALLY GOT HER CRANKING!!! THE ENGINE LOOKS GOOD AND EVERYTHING FIRED UP. I DID NOT WANT TO DO MUCH SO AS NOT TO EXPOLODE THE POOR BEAST-SO SETO IS COMING TO GET HER ON MONDAY TO TAKE HER APART AND GIVE ME AN ESTIMATE. DAVE WANTS ME TO TEAR THE INTERIOR OUT AND RUN IT LIKE A REAL REDNECK. WE'LL SEE-THE SWAMP SMELL IS TOO MUCH AND MY ASTHMA CANNOT TAKE IT SO. LOVE YOU ALLAND TRYING TO GET HOWDY CARDS TO EVERYONE BUT I JUST DO NOT FEEL GOOD. I AM LOOKING AT A 'TICK BITE' (OLD LUMP i SURGICALLY DUG OUT TO FIND THE CRITTER) AND IT HAS THE 'BULLSEYE' AND CHARACTERISTICS THAT LOOK LIKE LYME DISEASE-GOD, EVERYTHING BECOMES LETHAL IN MY BRAIN NOW THAT I HAVE CANCER. WAAAAA! SV
  • Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2010

Morning Girls!  I would just like to invite you all to come by my house & we could sit down at my new table & have a snack!  And of course I will fix homemade bisquits, with bacon gravy, & homemade fried potatoes!  Spam is always on the menu!  Ha!  

I just couldn't resist posting this beautiful picture!  I WISH it were mine!  Wink  xoxoxoxo

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited March 2010

Carole, your flowers make me envious....we have hardly anything out yet, it is too cold. I cheated a bit yesterday and bought 4 trays of primroses, and dotted them around my garden. I have some snowdrops out, and a winter flowering clematis, and lots of hellebores, but absolutely no signs of daffodils and tulips..... I need the whole garden to come alive!! No trees showing any signs of life yet. I bought 2 new trees for my garden yesterday, while at the garden centre, an ornamental dwarf cherry, and a wild cherry. I WAS thinking how nice they'd look , but DH put the tin hat on things, as usual, telling me," its OK for you, you don't have to get swiped in the face avoiding them cutting the grass" True.... but if I had some energy I would cut the grass.....always used to before bc., I cut it for 30 years, he's only done the last 6, so I tell him he has a lot of catching up to do ! 

We have managed to get a helper 2 days a week, one day on the farm, and one in the house and garden. He started today, outside, and I have started a list of jobs he can tackle indoors next week, so maybe DH won't have to complain about grass cutting duties anymore. I must hold the world record for number of jobs unfinished in a house! We still have 4 windows to put in upstairs I bought 4 years ago, the rest of the house got done, but for some reason we ended up not getting back to finish off the job, so thats number one priority next Wednesday.

I just hope I can stand someone in and out of the house...I get to stomping if I get too crowded! This morning I had DD, 2 G/Ds, 1 G/son, and G/F all turn up for a chat and a coffee. I was pleased to see them all, but much more pleased when they all drove off, and left me alone to get on with what I had planned out for today. I was planning a full days sewing. Lots and lots of things to do. Being a shortie everything is too long in the body, leg and sleeve,. I usually alter as I buy, but this year I haven't kept up ( actually bought more than I should have, had a couple of tantrums, and ended up going over the top with my shopping!!!!) What set me off , I was rooting about in my sewing room, and found a coat I had bought myself way back in September. I had forgotten all about it, it needed hem and sleeves taking up. Now winter is going away I come up and find a lovely new warm coat.

DD landed me with a fancy corset to let out for her, she'd bought on eBay, and it was just a little bit small, so she brings it over to me to 'let out' Must admit it is absolutely gorgeous, black satin and lace, all ruched, and very fitted, its going to try my patience sorting this one out. She brought it last week, called for it today, thinking it would be ready, it wasn't ! she said she had just bought another one, pale pink and white lace, and could she bring that over for me to sort ?? She goes out clubbing on a w/end, so wears alsorts of crazy things. I keep telling her she's too old for this sort of life, but will she listen ?? She's 41.

G/daughter brought a pair of curtains....could I make them shorter ??.... so when I will get to my own sewing is anyones guess. I was making new dog beds last week, out of old bedspreads. anything is pressed into service for dog beds, they go thru' so many.....anything that'll go in the washer that is ! I have 2 dogs that sit there and suck and chew at the fabric, so nothing lasts too long here....I have given up buying new, and just go in thrift stores and buy old bedspreads and blankets.

Having a nice quiet night in on my own tonight. DH gone out for a wrestlers reunion evening. He tried, oh, how he tried, to get me to go with him ....but....only so he could drink himself under the table reliving old wrestling bouts, and I would drive him home.!!!  No way, I am having  some 'me' time tonight.

Right off for a whisky and lemonade to sip while I type.

Spar how is your leg ? What a to do you are having. Alyson hows yours....is it age thats making us all so unsteady nowadays !!!!!! ?? SV  thinking of you....

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Hi to all and Isabella,

Always love to see your post on here, Isabella! What a  treat to have a sewing room! My sewing nook is one corner of my bedroom and collects all kinds of projects and just messes. It's hard to be the only seamstress in a family. Why don't the young people sew? Even just repairs? Do they just throw things away? Hems need repaired, let ins - let outs, zippers break,  where do you get these things done? And if you could, it would cost a fortune! Of course no one fixes things anymore.... if the toaster breaks or the TV quits, we just buy a new one. Remember the tube testers for TV tubes from the 1960-70s?  And shoes!!! It is impossible to get shoes repaired anymore. I remember once I got a pair of tennis shoes resoled!

Am I showing my age?

Right now I am checking Travelocity every day ... refuse to pay more than $400.00 for a flight to California.  My son is making fun of me... just buy your ticket, MOM! I haven't given up yet. There is one flight just under $400... return trip is a red eye with 4 stops!!! I am not that tight :)  But am hoping for a slight reduction in price next week or I will have to give in. 

The corsets sound beautiful. I suppose they are worn as outerwear? Otherwise, why bother? Quite a job you are undertaking there. But we do anything for our children'!  Happy sewing.

pam 

• melissa-5-19
    edited March 2010

Yes I am storying memories of the desert-- that is what took me back to Missouri- Memories- of a Midwest spring from beginning to end-an Indian Summer- HEAVENLY!- a garden all my own that is not on paper- silent falling snow blanketing the world at midnight- snow angels and sledding- which my DH and I did together as kids and we plan to again!

I have hundreds of gardening ideas- I need and antique mailbox- some birdhouses for show and unusually potting containers- peppers are beautiful in pots and so colorful. Hydrangeas, peonies, iris, cornflowers, bachelor buttons, daisies in bunches, tomato's, potatoes canning and jam making. Can't wait!

Love ytou all- SV promise if worse comes to worse you will at least consider using Moby as a planter,smoker,bench.

Love ya'll

• illinoislady
    edited March 2010

Morning this morning.  Sundays are almost always good days for me.  I always think I will take the day off, but never do.  It is nice to think about it though and plan to be lazy even if I can't.  so I guess I will just get my carcass moving and fine something fun to do....like eat breakfast.  Then I'll worry about the rest of the day.  Sun is out but probably won't stay.  Raining north of here...like Chicago etc.  Gosh....we are going to get it.....all week they say but hopefully not today. 

I'll be checking in with all of you later.  Have a glorious Sunday.

Hugs, Jackie

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Next ruined Moby idea:

We had a neighbor with a shell of a pick up truck in his side yard. Flowering vines grew up through the floor and out the broken windows and it began to quite resemble a "truck topiary," like you see from the monorail at Disney World. Obviously our code enforcement here is pretty lax :-)

The price for my ticket to California dropped 25% overnight! So glad I waited. But why aren't all comparable seats the same price all the time? Ridiculous. I would be so pisse' if I had paid $115.00 more yesterday. Still, it would have been worth it... DD and SIL are going to Hawaii and I am going to stay with DGS (age 4) while they are gone. We are going to have a great time... animal crackers in our soup, no curfew, great fun.

Wishing everyone a good day, healthy and happy.

pam 

• melissa-5-19
    edited March 2010

Pam that is encouraging and I will check airfaire prices today- In April my DH and I will drive with the Pekes from here to there- 3 days on the road and at the end of the month I will fly back-and return in May FOR GOOD!

Jackie I love your cardinal- so beaitful and bright- And I am a BIG Cardinals fan.

I need to fix breakfast and clean my Pekes ---not a short task.

Have a Wonderful day- Spar watch your mail.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2010

The poppies are out all over in S. Cal..it must be spring