Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,886

Big improvement this a.m. Our temp is at 1 degree rather than the - 2 we were at for a couple of days. Its looking up for us. I didn't venture out at all yesterday — not even to my favorite store — Goodwill. I likely will do it today though. Still waiting on someone to call for my brain MRI. Don't know if the rads will take place before, during or after at this point.

pink rules — I don't have a good answer to your question. In my mind, and as I recall since it has been a few yrs. now, many of the people that were using Arimidex/Anastrozole at the same time roughly as I did had issues with the drug. I was 62 in 2007 when dx-ed, and began taking the 5 yr. pill. When I was able to stop, I was 67. On Arimidex I had no real issues but did have later on when I was switched to the generic version.

Just my opinion but I'm not sure about the age being a big factor. Going through cancer and the treatments is a big body stressor. We all react a bit differently. Some people are old at 40 and some at 80 haven't quite gotten there yet. As mentioned, I did fine on daily Arimidex, but things went downhill after a while with the Anastrozole generic I was switched to. I actually skipped the last three months of it due to that factor. It was the carrier part of the drug my body didn't tolerate well. I hope you can find an answer you are comfortable with.

Love your picture Cindy even though there is a lot of gray there. I can easily see why you picked up your pace. I'm hoping for a bit of sun today, but for now it is still fairly grey though it is a lighter gray than it has been. Glad for that blessing. Again, that snow on the ground lightens things up a big meaning a little less 'gloom' for my interior which doesn't like gloom at all.

Hoping you all have a good and hopefully quiet MLK day.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,130

I had an appointment with one of my PCP's NPs today to discuss backache issues. She ordered x-rays and offered to write a prescription for PT but I don't think I'm at the level of backache yet for PT. All I have to do is message her if I decide I should have it and she will prescribe it. All the PT clinics are very busy with people who badly need the therapy.

I will try to be more diligent about doing back exercises every day. I walked 45 minutes today in the neighborhood and did quite a bit of walking when I went to Sam's Club and had to park some distance from the entrance. So far my back doesn't prevent me from going to senior exercise or from doing my own workouts at the gym. I'm just curious about the status of my spine after it has supported my body for 80 years and 10 months.

Most of the people in the dr.'s waiting room were masked and one man had a horrible cough. It dawned on me that I was walking into a place with sick people. The NP said she masks when her patient is ill.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,291
    edited January 15

Hi @pinkrules , I don't usually post here but hope to add a bit of insight. The website is reputable but this conference "poster" does not really answer your question. Two of the authors are pharmacists in France and the second one is an MD who worked at Tehran University and is now at a clinic in Paris - MO? (learned from a quick search.) They have not conducted any research or clinical trials. What they are presenting is a hypothesis that de-escalation of treatment with AIs in older women may be possible. To quote the article, "Prospective studies are needed, in which the PKs, efficacy, and safety of this intermittent dosing schedule should be conducted." This abstract is about 10 years old so not up-to-date. I try to look for research published within the last 3 years. I am not aware of any clinical trials involving this topic but they could exist. There have been studies done showing that tamoxifen doses can be successfully reduced in people with pre-cancerous breast conditions but this does not apply to those with invasive cancer.

You should discuss the efficacy of every other day dosing with your MO. My doctors were happy to talk about things like this with me at a level with which I was comfortable (pretty detailed and referencing the biology.) In the end what we do is our decision. Full disclosure: I have declined AIs even though I am taking an extra 8-10% risk because I also have a precancerous condition for which estrogen is protective. My rationale is that bc recurrence (even stage 4) has a better prognosis than esophageal cancer. My MO doesn't endorse my decision but understands it.

To the regular posters on the "oldies" thread: Stay safe and warm!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,302

Pinkrules, I wasn’t sure how to address your question. I did not read the article in the link. When I first started anastrazole my MO had me take it every other day for about 4 weeks (maybe 6 weeks, it was 6 yrs ago), to allow my system to get used to it. After that it was a pill a day at relatively the same time of day, for me it was midnight - night owl & just easier. I took it for 4 years and 9 months.

Carole, a couple was going with a group of us out to dinner on Friday. At the last minute they backed out, he wasn’t feeling good. Sure enough, he has covid. I’m thankful they were considerate of the rest of us. Ten days and I get the teeth pulled, unless I’m sick. Covid seems to be all around.

Jackie, we had such a storm today. It stalled over our area, moving at 5 mph. I’ve never seen so much rain, thunder & lightening. They were even watching rotations for a possible tornado. I think we had 4” of rain. A city nearby had 7-9” of rain, flooding all over - cars stalled out on major roadways. We had an HOA meeting at 6 pm and none of us went. No idea if anyone showed up. It was a doozy!

I used my air fryer for the first time tonight. Needless to say, I HAD to have it and it’s sat for 3 Christmas’s on a shelf in the guest bedroom in opened. Any warranty is long gone so it’s a good thing it worked. I cut up potatoes, mixed a little olive oil on them & some salt and BAM they were delicious. I’ll definitely be using it again. In NY my new stove has an air fryer built in, so once home there I’ll definitely try that too.

I didn’t take my walk this morning. It was 74 with 89% humidity, probably from the incoming storm. Tomorrow I’ll get up and go as soon as I’m awake enough not to stumble along. Some mornings I’m up but I’m certainly not fully awake.

We’re looking at more rain tomorrow. Doesn’t feel like Florida weather. But it’s not snow either so I’ll shut my trap and carry on.

• illinoislady

Got word this afternoon that my brain MRI will be on Wednesday. I'll be glad to get that out of the way. My daughter said just a short while ago that it was snowing out and it was big flakes. It isn't snowing heavy but when we have big flakes it doesn't have too. It will be interesting tomorrow morning. Been a bit concerned all along with all the moisture that has been around and above us the last couple of weeks.

• carolehalston

Christian, the NP I saw yesterday, said that the Covid patients are not extremely ill. Still, I would rather avoid any illness if possible, even a bad cold.

We're running a slender thread of water in the kitchen sink this morning. We started running the water before going to bed last night and will let it run until the temperature rises. The sun is out and will help warm things up. There are many road closures, including interstates, and all the bridges are closed. It must be a nightmare for people who have to get somewhere. I'm thankful our heat is working and the house is comfortable.

Hope everyone keeps warm and safe.

• illinoislady

We’ve been invited to participate in this life, to be present, one to another, and that’s all that’s expected of us. Our successes may bring us personal joy, but our value as persons lies only in our being. But living fully is more than just making an appearance, here, today. It’s celebrating our oneness—our ties to one another—our need for one another’s presence to complete our own. And we can be celebrants only when we’re involved and fully focused on the experience. We capture life’s gifts, its riches, when we are intent on the moment’s fullness. We miss what we most need when our hearts and minds are distracted.   -unattributed

• illinoislady

Good news this morning. Must have not snowed long at all last night. We don't seem to have any more snow this morning than we did. It is still though quite cold out. I'm heating the car so we can get our Walmart run it for the day. I'll be glad to get back on and have a hot coffee break.

Things don't sound much better for you Carole. Likely bad in Chicago and all the way across the rest of the northeast. I don't know how late winter may or may not be for others, but it was nearly overnight for us and temp wise is rather brutal.

I hope you all stay safe. The rest of our week is roughly the same I think although some warming may occur. Hopefully enough to do away with our little layer of snow.

Hope your water has settled down Cindy. I'm never greatly happy with rain, but usually for having to endure grayness, before and after.

Stay warm and safe everyone. Hopefully most of us can.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Finally coming up for air—forgive me if I don't respond to every individual post, just that I'm "in your pocket" for anyone needing procedures or surgeries. Betrayal, I have no words for what you've been going through with your post-op situation.

All the way up to 6 above zero right now. (Been as low as -14, with -37 wind chills). We got mostly rain here by the lakefront, but the rest of the city got slammed with snow. Made sure today the car started (hadn't driven since Sat. night). Trickling all faucets, keeping toilet lids open and flushing every couple of hrs to keep toilet pipes & waste stacks from freezing, per my plumber (had very slow flushes yesterday, so I emergency-texted him). Carole, I was almost amused by your trickling your faucet when the temp. is 26 above—until I realized your homes down there are not as well-insulated, much less adequately heated.

Back is not "playing nice;" going through Voltaren & arnica gels, lidocaine roll-ons, patches. In the morning I use my Rollator—it holds my coffee mug & water bottle. How I got through the show (I still hurt but willed my back not to "lock") I'll never know. Performance adrenaline, I guess. With Sat's two performances, my AppleWatch said I had 11,000+ steps and climbed 14 flights. It also nagged me with the "Noise" app warning, and twice thought that I had fallen (major arm-waving choreography seems to do that. Fortunately, I could get to the wings w/in 90 sec. to "reassure" it and keep it from calling 911 & sending EMS to the theater.

Show went well—both evening performances were sellouts. I didn't mess up. But the costume changes in a short time were a bear. The snow seems to have fallen mostly a couple of miles west of us. Had a few no-shows (we filled 3/4 of the house) for Sat. matinee due to their needing to deal with snow. That included my HK, who had to shovel and then try to thaw out the lock to her gate. She saw only the last 15 min. (missed both my solo turns).

My sis, niece & BIL all have Covid in various stages. Sis started Paxlovid on day 2 and is already improving. BIL didn't take Pax. and is running the store from home. Niece is too young & healthy for Pax., and is on day 7—inappetant and fatigued. She hasn't retested—but I hope she doesn't have flu on top of that.

My friend is being periodically "trial-weaned" off the vent—in & out of consciousness, regained enough function on R side to respond by squeezing nurse's hand & nodding. (Hoping she can do so to make the ultimate decisions). Driving down w/Bob tomorrow to see her & speak to hospice team should I go that route—I'd have to physically sign the order. If they extubate her and she can't breathe on her own, that's it, and someone needs to be there with her. If she stays intubated, she is high-risk for pneumonia and aspiration. Bob & I are going down tomorrow to see her & consult with the inpatient hospice team.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,286

Pink rules, I have been on Arimidex for 4 years without any major side effects. I also get Prolia injections.

Cindy, It is wet, cold and nasty here. We have freeze warnings.

Chris, so good to here from you.

Betrayal & Jackie, cyber hugs continue for you both.

My great grand niece was born Saturday. She is beautiful.

• chisandy

Saw endocrinologist last Thurs. for annual osteoporosis followup. She said it looks good—no fragility fractures. DEXA in Sept. Not prediabetic, per last labs. But I had gained 15 lbs since last I saw her and lost 3/4" inch—putting me squarely into Class I obesity (>30 BMI). When she asked me if I had any concerns, I opened up and "unloaded" about all the stress and the nighttime carb near-binges, all the "food noise" in my head. I asked if I should take Rybelsus (oral form of Ozempic, fewer SEs). But she said it was too weak for weight loss and not indicated for prediabetes—she prefers Mounjaro, which inhibits a second hunger hormone. But because I'm not diabetic and no insurers would cover any part of it for prediabetes. But it has an identical twin, Zepbound, which is indicated for only weight loss. I will be started out on 4 wks of the smallest dose. My insurance covered less than 30% of it, but GoodRx Gold gave me $150 off (14% savings) my co-pay. Bob said go for it.

Was going to start first shot (prefilled "pen") today when all hell (see above) began to break loose—phone ringing off the virtual hook every few minutes—but until all this blows over, no way am I going to be able to run to the toilet for the SEs ("coming out both ends"). My b'day is a week from today, so maybe I can start it after one last indulgent dinner.

• illinoislady

Petite, that is definitely one beautiful baby.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,547

Awww, your great grand niece is so adorable, @petite1!! 😊

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Beautiful baby Petite! Congratulations on the new family member.

Sandy glad all went well with the show, albeit now is your time to recover. What a kindness you (and Bob) are providing to your friend. I hope things go as well as can be experienced under the circumstances.

The DMV, where we moved from, got 8 inches of snow. We are happy to have made the move south, particularly this year. It's chilly (and locals are complaining!) here but nothing like that. Stay safe everyone. Jackie, I hope sunshine accompanies your snowy days. ❄️☃️🌬🌞

• petite1

Good morning. 35 degrees down here. I did my morning walk with sweats over my p-jays and a puffy jacket with gloves. LOL. At least I did it. I have yoga this morning and lunch with the widows and widowers social club. Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Petite, I am SO impressed with your walking, followed by Yoga and lunch with w&w club! You put me to shame! Also, congrats on the new grandniece! She is precious! What did they name her?

Sandy, glad your shows went well! You are also someone I admire!

Reader, where did you move to? Sorry, I miss so much and haven't been able to keep up with all the posts.

Jackie, brain MRI? Did you get it done? Hope the results are good and not showing more issues. You have had way more than your share of health issues.

Cindy, congrats on Buccaneers win! Not sure if you are a fan or not. Eagles have not been great this year. They won many games they shouldn't have, but I do love their coach. I hope he isn't fired over the losses. Teams can't be the best every year, if that was true, the games would be boring to watch.

Betrayal, hope you are continuing to heal well. You are another one who has had way more health issues than one should have!

Taco, hope things are at least semi warm in your area.

Carole, hope you are warm. Crazy weather, NOLA should never be cold, same with Florida! Hope your back is feeling better.

• illinoislady

Never forget that the purpose for which we live is the improvement of ourselves,
    so that we may go out of this world having, in our great sphere or our small
    one, done some little good for our fellow creatures and labored a little
    to diminish the sin and sorrow that are in the world.

William E. Gladstone

• illinoislady

Got up a bit late this a.m. although not as late as some days. Still, late all day so to speak. I had to wash my hair and shower this morning (big bathroom less congested int he a.m.) and do breakfast, meds and animal feedings. Only a while to relax then before time to go to the hospital for my MRI,

The past two days we have had sun which has made me so happy despite the frigid temps. It is 30 degrees out right now. Today actually did warm a lot more than yesterday which stayed around 11 degrees. With sun and not too much wind I can sort of handle the cold — just don't really like it. Since my chemo days of 2007 I have been colder where I use to be warmer. Worse yet after the open heart. My feet and shin areas are it seems, nearly in icicle range.

MRI was interesting. I am claustrophobic so I didn't look much. The headgear though seems to have allowed sight while keeping you from actually 'seeing' anything. The major thing was in giving up my glasses and hearing aids I'm shaky then. My senses are instantly OFF and it is harder to even walk well. Anyway, there was trouble getting the IV needle in the way it should have gone in. The poor guy did so much digging to get it all the way he finally quit and said we'd try and use it as was — part way out. Thank goodness it worked.

I had forgotten the massive banging and booming of an MRI as well. Was good to have headphones and music but part of the time the good music was all but drowned out. It took a half hour which is plenty of time for your back to be real un-cooperative when you try to get up after you are done. Dh was getting worried he said, while waiting for me. Funny, he usually naps. I have no idea how long it takes but they already put the results of my high Creatinine results on the patient portal log. Hope I get a notice soon for the MRI. I'm hoping there won't be an issue and I can get on with the radiation schedule.

I am thinking of all of you and wishing/praying/hoping everyone's weather gets better rather than worse. I have to say while crossing my fingers, that so far, we have only had a good layer of snow dusting. We just never know here it seems since it can be sort of negative all around us,, but I'm hoping the sun keeps missing us.

• carolehalston

All is well here at my house. The pump froze up and then kicked on and is working, providing all the water we need. The hard freeze has eased but another one is forecast for the weekend.

I had my lower back x-rayed yesterday and got the report in My Chart. As expected, I do have some degeneration but no ostopenia (sp?). The NP who ordered the x-rays messaged me to continue doing what I am doing, exercises, stretches, etc., and let her know if I want a prescription for PT. I plan to talk to a PT person and ask how PT could help when the degeneration has already occurred. And is occurring, I assume.

My own opinion is that losing weight would put less strain on my back when supporting my body. Exercise doesn't seem to bother my back while I'm doing the exercise. And it's great for my BP. I often use the machine at the gym to check BP after exercising. I also use the scale which is kinder than my wicked bathroom scales. LOL.

Petite, I admire you, too. And Sandy. And Cindy, for living so fully. And others for dealing bravely with health challenges.

Wishing everyone a good day, whatever day this is!

• illinoislady

Education is more than schooling.  It is a cast of mind, a willingness to see the world with an endless sense of curiosity and wonder.  If you would be truly educated, you must adopt this cast of mind.  You must open yourself to the richness of your everyday experience--to your own emotions, to the movements of the heavens and the languages of birds, to the privations and successes of people in other lands and other times, to the artistry in the hands of the mechanic and the typist and the child.  There is no limit to the learning that appears before us.  It is enough to fill us each day a thousand times over.

Kent Nerburn

• illinoislady

Glad you have your pump back Carole. It is hard for me to think of LA as 'freezing'. Not sure why. It is just as inclined as most of the U.S. I'm glad you had good news from your X-ray although age brings changes and most of them do require watching w/ interventions. I'm with you about the PT. I really don't understand what more could be done other than perhaps some different specific exercise. You are pretty diligent, I think.

As to wt. loss, likely everyone here could benefit from a few less pounds so you are likely right there too. The back, knees, hips, ankles and feet do a lot of work for us so giving any and all of them a bit less to support would be a good thing, I know I am not being kind to myself about exercising and likely am going to have to get a lot more serious and determined than I have been.

I got my report back on the brain MRI. They said nothing there. That was a relief and yes I did immediately smile at my own description of nothing there in my head. Hopefully, now we can move on into the next phase of starting the radiation. I was told it would be basically every other day for a total of five sessions.

Well, I am hoping, and it seems a possibility at this point that I will need fewer medical people in my life this coming year. I will have to apparently follow up every so often on the radiated lung nodule, but unless something else turns up (fingers heavily crossed) I really will have fewer medical people to see and interact with.

Sun is trying to peek out, but it is mostly cloudy this morning. It did warm up yesterday into the 30's. Major improvement for us. It is 28 right now. So, we seem to have the possibility of maintaining better temps for now. We have snow left on the ground but patchy after all the sun of the past couple of days. There is a wind going on — hoping it doesn't bring in anything like more snow. It will make it seem a lot colder since we also had a lack of wind the past couple of days. I'm being itchy for Spring already. Guess I'm just going to be a weanie about any cold or snow.

Hope you all have a really good day, good test results if you have them, good healing, and are looking forward to a good week-end.

• petite1

My walk was cold this morning, but not as cold as yesterday. I had my PCP appointment this am, labs and vitals are all good. Dr. was happy with me. I went to grief support after that. I know this sounds crazy, but we all laughed until we also cried. It is a good group of people. I think the donuts had something in them. LOL. We were like a bunch of teenagers, not people in their 70's and 80's. Advanced yoga this evening. If it was 20 degrees cooler it would be snowing. The weather is nasty.

MM, her name is Ava.

Jackie, good news on the MRI.

Carole, glad you got the pump started. One year the bladder in mine froze. That was expensive. I make sure to cover it when it stays below 32 degrees for an extended period of time. Saturday it is suppose to get down to 28.

• illinoislady

Petite, your grandniece has a really beautiful name. I have not heard it much the last few years. I read the names in our little daily paper of everyone having a birthday. ( Kids). Names come and go but while they are around they can get somewhat tiresome. There are so many Paisley's and Brooklynn's, and others like that. Also it seems many take those names and change the spellings. I always think of the teachers who may have three people in one class with the same name. One of our different spelled names today was Makenly Grace and another was spelled Pyper Rose or how about Icilynn DeShannon Hastings. The last one I'm not even sure how to pronounce.

Names are I think somewhat personal, but I have to say long or short, I'm happier to see what I feel is a 'standard' spelling. Sort of wonder what these "kids" may think about their names later on. No wonder I'm so taken with Ava. It's very pretty while not seeming to be overused and you can't change the spelling. Perfection to me.

• illinoislady

Hospital just called with my rads schedule. I will start Monday and go thru the whole week — don't have to skip days. That makes me very happy. I was told it grows slowly, but never-the-less the sooner I can eradicate it the better.

• moderators

@illinoislady You got this. So glad you're getting it going. Please keep us posted. ❤️

• carolehalston

Friends in Texas just had a baby girl and named her Gracelyn. Ava is a pretty name. I'm amazed at the creativity of African American mothers here in the south in naming their children. There seems to be an endless variety of spelling. The checkout employees usually wear name tags and I see names often that I've never seen before.

On the flip side, each generation has popular names. Currently there are many little girls named Olivia. And many little boys named Jackson. As Jackie mentioned, it must be a challenge for teachers with three of four children with the same name. I, too, prefer conventional spelling of familiar names.

My schedule is totally off today. We had a Spectrum salesman here at 10:30 trying to sell us a tv/internet package. And most of the day we've had tree cutters removing several dead trees. Their truck and trailer was blocking the driveway when I would have gone to chair yoga. Chain saw noise is not a pleasant sound but the work needed to be done.

• chisandy
    edited January 19

My friend made her transition late this afternoon. We four (Bob, her best friends since high school—former business partners & now neighbors, and I) went down to Oak Lawn to see her and meet with the hospice team. She had been moved from the Surg. Heart Unit (SHU) to Cardiovascular Telemetry Unit (CVTU, formerly CICU). The nurses confirmed that she had no chance of recovery and we all agreed hospice was appropriate, so I signed the contract. The Critical Care doc explained that because she was an organ donor, once it was confirmed she had viable organs to donate, the vent would have to be removed in the OR. After consultation with the transplant team, the word came down that she had no donatable organs because of her age (almost 78), and advanced diabetes made her corneas untransplantable. Cold hard fact: no matter how healthy and how committed to organ donation you are, no internal organs can be harvested after age 66—and eyes would have to be healthy for corneas to be donated.

So she was taken off the vent while we watched, and was placed on nasal-cannula O2. We were told she might not last the night…or OTOH,,she might have hung on long enough to have to be moved to a nursing home (for which Medicare & her supplement would pay only 21 days). The nurses and critical care doc advised us to go home and we'd be notified of any developments. When we left to say her goodbyes, she was peacefully snoring. This morning I was on the phone constantly—my interruptions had interruptions—with the hospice team (she was moved to a hospice room to free up the ICU bed), palliative care team, chaplain, her best friend, another nurse to update me that she was actively dying (resps slowing, sats tanking). Her friend & I were exchanging texts constantly. Then another chaplain called to offer her services…this time to me—and that's how I found out she'd passed. If there's an afterlife, she's with her DH (she was widowed almost twice as long as they were married) and picking up their cats from the Rainbow Bridge.

May her memory be for a blessing, as her life was to all of us. Per her wishes, no funeral or wake—just cremation and no scattering or mausoleum, with her urn to repose instead in her favorite street-racing car. When enough time passes, we will be putting together a celebration of life—as she did for her DH.

• chisandy
    edited January 19

On to more mundane (and by comparison, trivial) matters. Because I can't wear socks, I've been wearing UGGs over bare feet. When I went for my monthly pedi (unofficially Rx'ed by my DPM), I noticed the side of my "good" foot felt burned—and it was reddish. Pedicurist applied some homeopathic silver gel which soothed it. When I got home I removed my boots (and the Baggies protecting the polish) and the red patch stung, with what looked like a cut forming over a 1st-degree friction burn. I washed, dressed, and bandaged it—but until it heals I need to stay indoors wearing my "recovery" flip-flops. Moot point—we have snow again, with subzero wind chills kicking in tomorrow night.

Now with all decisions and arrangements made, the show over & done, and no gigs till mid-Feb. there's really nothing to do for now, except for derm & OO appts (and rescheduling the hair & face appts. I had to cancel). We had planned to go out Tues. night for my b'day—but with freezing rain and even ice predicted, we probably will be postponing that too. Ever get that feeling that once all the plates you'd been spinning had stopped, there's still something you need to be doing but can't quite put your finger on it? Inertia is powerful.

Tomorrow I will take my first Zepbound shot. I will conveniently be at home to deal with the SEs if any.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 354

Sandy - (((HUGS))). My condolences. You must be physically and emotionally exhausted. You are truly a wonderful person to support your friend’s peaceful transition and to carry out her wishes. I hope that you can take some time for yourself to rest.

Jackie - great news on the brain MRI. My prayers continue for a successful radiation treatment.

Petite - beautiful baby and beautiful name. Good on you for continuing to walk in the cold weather

All is well here. DH is settling in to retirement although given our cold and snowy weather I sense he is a bit at loose ends as he would prefer to be outside walking, hiking, biking and doing yard work. As I write this I can hear the snowplow out in the street cleaning up the inch of snow we are getting. Spring will arrive eventually. Today, DH cleaned out and organized our pantry which I greatly appreciated. I’ve been retired for 7 months and hadn’t gotten around to it (neither did I make a great effort to do so).

Had my monthly FaceTime with my 70 yo brother today. DH hadn’t seen him in over 2 years and thought he looked ‘rough’. He’s not taking care of personal hygiene and admitted his home is pretty messy. I thought he had a cleaning lady but he said she only comes occasionally. I sense his health is declining and I’m powerless to do anything about it. He literally almost never leaves his home. Has everything delivered and in today’s call tried convincing DH that we should be using Door Dash so we never have to step outside. He seems to becoming more fearful of leaving his home because he is afraid of falling or being injured and no one would find him. He said his doctor told him he needs to move more but he is afraid of falling on ice or for some inexplicable reason of being shot by random people. He watches the news way too much and has internalized all the bad news as something that will happen to him. I gently suggested joining a local Planet Fitness as it is low cost and convenient and perhaps riding the recumbent bike a few times per week to get some strength in his legs, but I doubt that will happen. He likely needs PT and for all I know, his doctor may have suggested it and he has refused.

We leave for South America in three weeks. I’m trying to figure out how to efficiently pack for a 3 week trip with temps ranging from the 40’s to the 90’s. I’m a pretty good packer and we have access to laundry on the cruise ship, but the temperature range and variety of activities are making this a challenge. We’ll wear our heavier jackets and hiking boots on the plane. The reality of 13 hours of flying time (Chicago - Dallas - Buenos Aires) is starting to sink in. We’re very excited to go, but what was I thinking on the long flights? That said it is not the longest flight we’ve taken and I spent decades flying Chicago - Tokyo/Shanghai for business. The goal is one medium size bag to check plus a backpack for each of us.

Take care to all.

• moderators

@chisandy, we're truly sorry for the loss of your friend. Please accept our deepest condolences 💞

The Mods