Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• bcamnb
    bcamnb Member Posts: 334
    edited June 2010

Hi Webstertoo,

I avoid anything with phytoestrogens because they appear to inhibit tamoxifen - check out

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/phytoestrogen.php

http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/FactSheet/Diet/fs1.phyto.cfm

There is a debate about whether flax should be included, as some studies seem to indicate it is beneficial. I am chicken, however, and avoid it as well. Also, I avoid alcohol ( more than 3 drinks/week increases BC risk by 10%) but when I have my one glass/week, I have white wine - avoiding the resveratrol in red wine and the hops in beer. Lately, I have been told that lavender and tea tree oil are also highly phtoestrogenic - so I am avoiding body washes/lotions....that contain these. In fact, I have thrown out a lot of cosmetics/creams....check out

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

Best wishes,

C

• bcamnb
    edited June 2010

Hi Ann,

Re Tamoxifen and arimidex. My suggestion would be to read and read and read, google and google and google. I would do a pro and con column for both of them. (There are good and not-so-good things about them both.) Write down all your questions. Make another appointment with one/both oncologist and review your findings, making sure you take your list of questions AND another person, to listen to the discussion (it is easy to miss something really important in the discussion). Once you have done that, you should be more able to make a decision that is right for you.

The stats on both are good in preventing recurrence, especially for the 'other' breast - up to 40% - which is a good enough reason for me to take it! And yes, I think most people are advised to wait until after rads are complete. I know I was.

Best of luck,

C

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited June 2010

Kathryn!  What a beautiful "dream" you & your Husband lived!  Aren't memories the greatest?  I can just see where you took off from the San Francisco Bay & headed off into your own world!  And it even sounds great to rough it in the Mountains!   You are OUR kind of gal!  SV will go nuts when she sees what you've been up to!  Wink  She IS our free spirit, & we all love to hear about her & Isabellas tales of woe!  Or happiness!   I'm still more or less afraid of the water....even our Daughter's pool in Orlando, Ha!   When I was in Camp-fire girls, I was nearly drowned to death, (I think if you drown you are definately not with the living)...And since I was only about a foot tall, the "deep" end was WAY over my head, & we were all holding hands & going in a circle. The deep end nearly "got" me.  My mouth was so full of water I couldn't scream anymore...They finally realized I was neither here nor there, & swam under to get me!  So I have never been a fan of "THE WATER"....I just love to be near there, & love it's peacefulness!   But it will surely get me if I let it. 

About Tamoxifen....the only think I have read is that you should NOT eat Grapefruit...something about it interferes with you metabolizing it....I have read about Soy products also, but I think the little that we eat shouldn't be a problem. 

You know, if I want to know anything, & I can't find it here with these gals, just google everything!   You can even ask questions there, & google will come up with a lot of answers!  Okay gals...till later...

( I Loved that..."Katie bar the door!"....Ha!  Too funny!  Yes, you definately belong here with us!)  xoxoxo Jeannette

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2010

Binney thanks for the lymphedema website.  I checked and wouldn't you know that the closest expert is 45 miles in the OTHER direction (I travel 45 mi. south to the cancer center because it's sortof associated with my PCP.  45 mi. north is a lymphedema expert connected to a different center. )-;

So I wrote to the rad onc; and forwarded to the surgeon's assistant and pushed send this morning. I hope the rad onc doesn't get too po'ed.  I had my surgery clear over at Eureka because I knew the surgeon from my previous episode with DCIS.  Now wish I'd followed my instincts and just gone to the coast for my rads  BTW, she is connected to Dr. Susan Love and I highly recommend Dr. Love's website, her perspective, and her books.  I'm surprised not to see more about her on this site. 

Off to the shower and the hour drive to rads.  More later.

Best to all, have a great day!

Kathryn

• Dilly
    edited June 2010

Back from rads, and got a nice reply from the onc; we'll discuss this tomorrow.  He says lymphedema from breast rads is rare.  DH says I worry too much.  Likely.

Kathryn

• lebrecht
    lebrecht Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2010

Hi Kathryn:

I had 10 lymph nodes removed and two were positive for cancer. I am in to my second week of rads. YES they do radiate the under arm and lymph node area. Yes I do feel sore and funny at that under arm area. But I do not think that is lymphoma as that would be a huge swelling and lots of pain. I am also feeling some pain in my breast near the area that the tumor was removed. I am told that all is okay? Also some discoloration on the bottom of my breast being treated. My guess is that the oncologists are all trained to say everything is okay and to mostly ignore whatever we say unless they see some real red alert. Yesterday I asked the doctor if radiation does not cause cancer? I asked remember the atom bomb? He answered YES sometime it can cause and other times it can help to prevent it. Then he left the room and left me to ponder that answer?

Anne

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2010

Anne and Lost_Creek - I have mild lymphedema - it's not huge swelling and lots of pain. It's just some swelling along my whole "affected" arm and a bit of tingling. As long as I keep up with the self massage and wear the sleeve when I am going to do something physical like holding the baby for a while or gardening, then it is under control. I panicked when I first realized lymphedema was starting and was much reassured later to find that it is a blinking nuisance - but manageable.  I think mine started with radiation - it was on the collar bone area lymph nodes, not on the breast which may or may not have something to do with it.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,360
    edited June 2010

Hi everyone,

Anne,I think your Oncologist was just saying that everything has a spectrum.  We would not know what tears were if all we ever did was laugh.  Measured amts. of many things are valuable to us.  Radiation is very carefully measured  ---  and it is directed to only specific areas, unlike bombs etc.  I'm not really sure what training Oncologists get, but at the same time ( not always good for us, the patients ) I do think they would find themselves often way too long in pro and con type conversations and all over hand holding.  Actually, I think this true for all Dr's to a degree.  It may not be a good thing, but probably has to be that way.  I'm sure there are instances where people have a really good rapport with their Dr's --- but most of us have to settle for less most of the time. 

As far as foods if I was given a clear-cut no I would indeed follow that directive.  I don't eat grapefruit now as it interfered with thyroid and BP meds before I ever dealt with cancer.  However, I feel quite certain that moderation is the key.  Too much of anything usually is not a good thing -- no matter how good it is.  So, all the things I truly will gorge on only turn up occasionally on my menu at home.  I stay away from boxed food ---  if you have trouble pronouncing the ingredient list or its very long....you'd be better leaving it on the shelf where you found it.  I eat as much raw as I can --- avoid salt shakers and sugar bowls but indulge way too often in "treats" like Blizzards from Dairy Queen --- especially in this horrid hot and humid weather we have been having.  It is the one nice thing about our winter weather here.  It helps me be good.  I love to "cook" desserts but I refrain from most of it unless I am asked to bring something to an outing. 

I hope you all will have a good day.  Thurs. and Fri's are my long days and I now have 11 cats in my computer room to baby-sit.  They are all, including the three legged on such sweet things.  Long story.....but all will work out fine.  See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Dilly
    edited June 2010

Hi Ladies,

Next question:  which or any Vit D supplements are not made up of soybean oil?   If we're avoiding phytoestrogens, does the soybean oil in Vit D supplements count or not?

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

About commercial food items, Consumer Reports advises avoiding prepared foods with more than 5 ingredients listed on the box!

• bcamnb
    edited June 2010

Hi Lost,

I take 2000 IU of Vit D3 made by Jamieson. It has no soy in it. To me the problem with soy is a little bit here, a little bit there, a little bit here adds up quickly. The individual vitamins seem to be less of a problem for me to find than multi-vitamins. Almost all of them have soy (BTW soy lechithen is OK). 

And yes, I too avoid all grapefruit products.

The main reason I avoid all the phytoestrogens I do is because 1. I am taking Tamoxifen, 2. phytoestrogens compete or inhibit Tamoxifen 3 as I only partially metabolize T, I am way more cautious than most people.  Just my personal preference.

Cheers all,

C

• Dilly
    edited June 2010

Thanks Caroline, I'll try to find that Jamieson product or one similar.  I'll give up almost all my soy without problems and understand that lecithin is ok; but I'd be hard-pressed to give up soy sauce!

• bcamnb
    edited June 2010

and I think soy sauce (and miso) is OK.... I don't worry about it - but I have cut back a bit!

C

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited June 2010

I found this substitute soy sauce info:

Another low on sodium soy sauce substitute can be stirred out by blending together 4 tablespoons of low sodium clear, seasoned beef broth, 1 ½ cups of simmering water, 4 tablespoons of molasses, a tablespoon of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of sesame oil and a pinchful of pepper. Once all the ingredients form 2 cups worth of uniform liquid, store in well sealed containers for as long as you want!

Another easy soy sauce substitute is commingling 8 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce with 2 tablespoons of water and voila! You have now got a liquid potent enough to substitute for 1 tablespoon of soy condiment.

For a quick sweet soy sauce substitute, you can just pour 90 ml of balsamic vinegar and approximately 240 ml molasses in a vessel and add sugar according to how sweet you want it to be. Then just whip them together to make a smooth sauce. This recipe will actually help you to reap balsamic vinegar health benefits of reduced cardiovascular problems and increased digestion.

I do not know the conversion for the last one...    

• GramE
    edited June 2010

I found this substitute soy sauce info:

Another low on sodium soy sauce substitute can be stirred out by blending together 4 tablespoons of low sodium clear, seasoned beef broth, 1 ½ cups of simmering water, 4 tablespoons of molasses, a tablespoon of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of sesame oil and a pinchful of pepper. Once all the ingredients form 2 cups worth of uniform liquid, store in well sealed containers for as long as you want!

Another easy soy sauce substitute is commingling 8 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce with 2 tablespoons of water and voila! You have now got a liquid potent enough to substitute for 1 tablespoon of soy condiment.

For a quick sweet soy sauce substitute, you can just pour 90 ml of balsamic vinegar and approximately 240 ml molasses in a vessel and add sugar according to how sweet you want it to be. Then just whip them together to make a smooth sauce. This recipe will actually help you to reap balsamic vinegar health benefits of reduced cardiovascular problems and increased digestion.

I do not know the conversion for the last one...    

• GramE
    edited June 2010

Deleted because it was a duplicate of the first post.   

• flyingdutchess
    flyingdutchess Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2010

I had some bad news today, but after an initial panic and a long talk with the PA at my Breast Surgeons's office (the doctor was in surgery) I am feeling amazingly calm.  My DCIS for which I had 3 lumpectomies and radiation was on my left breast.  I just had an abnormal finding (letter said probably benign) on a screening mammo of my right breast.  They wanted to do follow up.  I called the BS's office and spoke to the PA there.  She is first of all having them compare the films (all are digital) with films taken at a prior facility.  Then ordering a spot compression mammo of the right breast area in question.  Last year when I was dx with CA I was a vegetable.  But I have learned to trust my oncologists and surgeon.  I am just going to wait and see what happens.

Also per Christine (the PA) I found out statistics on my left breast cancer but don't know how to post it.  She said the grade of my DCIS is high nuclear.  the size was 1.4cm and I am ER and PR neg.

Kat

• bcamnb
    edited June 2010

Hi Kat -

whoa! what a shake up...take heart, you sound like you are in good hands; what will be will be and we are here for you. Adding you to my prayers

C

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited June 2010

Kat, I hope and pray for the best possible results for you.  Didn't they suggest doing an ultrasound?  ...then an ultrasound-aided needle biopsy. That was the deciding factor in my situation.  Take care, be well.

• flyingdutchess
    edited June 2010

On the left breast they did an ultrasound and a needle biopsy.  The needle biopsy came out negative, but my PCP didn't trust the doctor who did it and sent me to my current surgeon who did an excision biopsy which showed the cancer.

On this one I'll take it step by step and do whatever my surgeon says as she was the one who said DR #1 was wrong and found the cancer.

Kat

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited June 2010

Oh Kat, thinking about you. These times are the worst, and anyone who hasn't gone thru this doesn't understand what it does to us.

Good luck.

((((((Hugs)))))

Isabella.

• Dilly
    edited June 2010

Kat, my thoughts and prayers are with you. It's good you have medical folks you trust.

Best wishes,

Kathryn

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

Kat,

Isn't it amazing how we learn to handle possible bad news? Here's hoping they are just being overly cautious and all will be fine. If not, you've been there - done that and will get through it again.

We are all with you!

pam 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Kat,  so sorry to hear this, but until they know something for sure ---  it could be anything.  And that is what all the "checking & testing" is all about ---  to keep you free of problems.  Finding it now and taking care of it ( if it truly is anything to be concerned for ) is far better than not finding it till when????  How great to have a team that will stay on top of things to keep you in the best health possible. 

Here's hoping for "nothing". 

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited June 2010

Hi Kat...we're all here for you!  And I am sending you the best wishes & warm hugs!  I just HATE the tests, & then waiting to find out what they mean!  At least it sounds like you have a good "team!'..... So just know that we are waiting with you....& just stay calm.......xoxoxoxoxo Jeannette

• flyingdutchess
    edited June 2010

Pam, You are so right about handling bad news.  When the left breast was diagnosed I was a vegetable.  Couldn't sleep, cried all the time on many friends shoulders etc.  This time I know it isn't the end of the world and if it is anything it was caught early.  I think the difference this time is I have doctors I know I can trust.  And I'll just have to wait and see. 

Thanks all of you for your thoughts and prayers.  I guess I'll find out what is doing by next Wednesday.

Kat

• Oma261
    Oma261 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2010

Hi Kat...Just want you to know that you are on my prayer list also.  You sound like a strong person with a good team behind you.  I also believe that this disease has made all of us stronger and having all these wonderful ladies support means so much. Be well.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Whispering  good night to all.  It has been a long day again today and lots of furry friends to try and make happy.  I'll see you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Good morning everyone,

I'm rested and refreshed after a nice sleep.  Would have liked to laze a bit longer ( maybe even a small dreamy doze ), but Teeny and Mickey decided I should be functioning better ( up on your feet now please ), just in case they wanted something.  They adore having fake snarling matches in my lap in my recliner which I do not always appreciate ( imagine that, I'm sure they say ) in the morning over my first cup of coffee.  Some day I shall toss them out of doors and forget they exist while the first cup finds its way into my system -- but it will be a while. 

Heat index will be well over 100 again today with lots of humidity.  Already had a 10 min. morning pour-down to get us off and rolling toward a very sultry day.  Not what I would have put on the menu but then --- I'm here to carp and complain and I find that to be pretty great so I'll try to relax and accept and see if I can make it work out fine. 

Hope you will all have a good Saturday and not too much of anything you don't want.  I'll be checking in later.  See you all then.

Hugs, Jackie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited June 2010

OMG LOST CREEK, MAN YOURLIFE IS SO LIKE MINE. WE LIVED TO SIN IN AND OUT AT ALTA, UTAH-I SAILED DEER CREEK RESEVOIR ALL SUMMER ON BOAT AND WINDSURF-THEN OUT LOOKING THE WORLD FOR A PATCH OF SNOW TO HIKE TOO TO SKI SOME MORE. I AM SOO JEALOUS-TRYING TO GET DAVE TO THINK ABOUT A REALLY LONG TRIP-TODAY HE CONCEEDED THAT WE MIGHT SAI LDOWN TO HATTERAS ON ON SECOND TRIP. WE HAVE A REGATTA ON WEDNESDAY-I AM SO STOKED. THE ONLY THING IN THE WAY IS HIS (GIRLFRIND-WIFE) OF ABOUT 6 YEARS. ARRGH! YEAH IF YAH CAN GET OUT OF ORGON INLET, YA CAN SIAL ANYTHING!! sO WE ARE WORKING ON THAT ONE! AND I CANNOT WAIT TO BE OUT ON THE OPEN OCEAN-THINK HE WANT TO GO TO HATTERAS BE THE OCEAN-OREGON INLET IS A TRUE BITCH AND MAN I HAVE BEEN TRAPPED IN THAT WASHING MACHINE WITH SOME OF THE BEST CAPTAINS AND IT WAS AWFUL. DAVE HAS HIS MASTER LICEANSE WHICH IS THE CREM DU LA CREAM AND HE IS AN EXCELLENT SEAMAN BUT HE IS A WOOSEY AND I AM ALWYAS HAVING TO PUSH HIM-COURSE LAST TIME I DID, WE ENDED UP IN THE LAKE WITH CAR IN OVER FOUR FEET OF ICE COLD WATER AND DAVE HAVING TO SAVE MY FREAKING ASS. I WILL NEVER LIVE THAT DOWN. HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP WITH ALL-DUE TO TAKE STRESS TEST WEDNESDAY TO SEE IF I CAN DO A DOUBLE MASTECTOMY (LIKE PREP FOR SURGERY) BUT I HAVE PRETTY MUCH DECIDED THAT I AM NOT GOING TO DO THE SURGERY. THE FLACK I AM GETTING IS AWFUL BUT HEY, NOONE IS GUARANTEEING ME ANYTHING EXCEPT I WON'T GET BC AGAIN  IF I DO SURGERY-CRITICAL BEC THEY CANNOT GET ME OFF OF PREMPRO. SO ERRGH. WOW TO SAIL THE WORLD-SEND ME SOME PIX OF THE WIDE BLUE SEA!!! LOVE TO ALL SV