Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    edited July 2010

Hear, hear.  A wonderful way of explaining this strange and sometimes agonizing journey we all take.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited July 2010

Morning all, another wonderful frost, keep saying I will get up early to take pictures but it hasn't happened.

For all the new ladies I am 3 years out from chemo, so 3 1/2 from dx. Had radiation as well. I went back to work for a year - as head of faculty at a very large secondary school but because of various health issues and a new outlook on life made me decide that there was more in life than running around after both staff and students and worrying about silly things such as what colour paper should we use for student notices and so decided to retire early. 

I too get angry when I read of those facing the return of this dreadful disease.((((((Julie)))))) It is not fair but then on the whole life is not fair, however we cannot spend our time blaming things for the cancer; its a waste of time and energy well thats how I look at it. Yes I feel a bit down at the moment looking once again at a recurrence - had a scare last year as well but it will pass. I have found that the support I have had from people here and from family and friends has been wonderful you meet such wonderful people on this journey. (Must admit there are a few idiots you come across)

I think I have a great quality of life despite a few aches and pains which I am not sure if its the arthritis, the SEs from the femara or just age. I have written a school text book and I am doing another one. I have had the chance to spend time with my beautiful little grandaughter (and her mother and my other daughter) If I had been working I wouldn't have and if I hadn't had chemo and radiation I know I probably wouldn't be here to enjoy such things. 

Greene, the journey is a bit rough but can be done. As Pam said you detach a little for everything and get through. And as Jackie said to me take time to smell the roses but remember that if you don't have thhe treatment you need there might not be time to do anything, however what you do is your choice. Also you will return to being normal but it will be a different normal and you will be able to enjoy those grandchildren. It will all be a big blur at present and is so confusing. (((((((((Greene)))))))))))

Sorry to go on. I must go and get dressed as the nurse will be here to change my sister's dressing. sShe will have to decide if she has chemo or not as her bowel cancer is borderline - had broken through but no nodes involved.

Big hugs to all. You are in my thoughts and prayers each day.

Alyson

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited July 2010

Alyson- I should send you and your dear sister  wishes of strength to face the days ahead. It is difficult to keep up with all the families goings on and I know I miss expressing concern for some illness or trouble now and then and certainlt don't mean to.I too worked quite hard after treatment but realized like Alyson that there are better  ways to spend my LIFE. I work 2 days now and have found the roses- Jackie they smell pretty good! Miss Kitty PS I deleted one posting as some how I duplicated this posting...sorry

• melissa-5-19
    edited July 2010

Alyson- I should send you and your dear sister  wishes of strength to face the days ahead. It is difficult to keep up with all the families goings on and I know I miss expressing concern for some illness or trouble now and then and certainlt don't mean to.I too worked quite hard after treatment but realized like Alyson that there are better  ways to spend my LIFE. I work 2 days now and have found the roses- Jackie they smell pretty good! Miss Kitty

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2010

I am smelling the roses also...

I saw that one this afternoon after I spent some time looking out at a marsh in San Diego bay...very refreshing and uplifting...

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited July 2010

Ahoy matey's, Who's got chocolate?  I'm kidding. I know we ALL DO. Hahahahah

Dear Julia, what a strong woman you must be. I know, because I face multiple challenges at the same time on a daily basis lately. Fortunately for me only one has turned out to be cancer. The rest are so stress inducing that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I get another dx. That is the most derogatory statement I've ever written. I feel so bad for you having to face this all over again. I will pray for your strength. Imagine that there are hundreds reading this thread and each visualizes Julia being wrapped in the brightest whitest glowing light of health and so it exists. It's a whiteout of light surrounding Julia and it's lending healing power with its presence. Julia, everytime you get a bad feeling or thought, just picture yourself surrounded in this healing white light. Take refuge in it and use it to let go of anything negative.

Easy to say. So much easier to say than it is to do. I should have done this today, let myself dissolve into the whiteness, I could have used it. wonder why we find it so easy to give someone else advice than it is to actually do the things we suggest when it's our turn?? Who knows? What kind of strength does that require?

Yes, CB, I think "trouble" got on the bottom of my shoes and I brought it home. Now, I'm the grand master of the good ship Sinkhole and it's leaking. I dont think I can take any more for a while. We are all so stressed out it's palpable... hmmm tastes like, oh,,, of course, CHOCOLATE!!!!!

Good evening all,

Connie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited July 2010

oh Julia, the news just makes me sick. My prayers are with you and I JUST wish I could do so much more! Let us know all updates ASAP. Lord, I don't want to do a double mastectomy but damn, this disease just s#cks and now i don't want it coming back as something else. i have just ignored everything after the first tumor removed - truly, I just don't have the strength for more cancer if it happens along. God BLESS YOU DEAREST! SV

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,371
    edited July 2010

Just stopping in to say hello to every one.  It has been the long day I felt it might. Connie..you are so right about the white light.  Serenity and bountiful goodness, health and happiness are all found inside of it.  It is like going into a cocoon for just a while. 

We all should do this everyday while thinking very positive.  I had really forgotten this form of meditation. 

Greene -- it sounds mainly like your family just want you to be as healthy and well as you can be.  Still, cancer is personal to the person who has it.  I don't want to sound corny, but I knew pretty much what indicated as the thing I should do -- despite what others said.  You can have it all including cancer and though treatments are sometimes a bit difficult --- it is a little time -- maybe 6 months or so taken out of a rather long life so far.  I can't say it was like going to the county fair, but it seemed not so difficult to save my life.  My life is my responsibility anyway.

I do so wish you well.  There is lots of help and hope and caring people....we all made this journey and there is safety in numbers and is is so much easier to translate this journey with all those who have or are taking it now together.  Please come back and see us soon.

Healing hugs from the white light

Jackie

• lebrecht
    lebrecht Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2010

Julia you are so brave. We all need a lot of strength to see this through, but I know you will succeed. I will think all positive thoughts and know that this will all come out okay.

You have my best wishes and prayers for your well being.

Anne

• lebrecht
    lebrecht Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2010

The oncologist who prescribes the pills is a bit of a problem as she spends three minutes and refuses to discuss or actually answer questions. GEE! Her card says she is a consultant?

She said to start on Tamoxifen for about 3 years then will switch me to Arimidex. She says fewer side effects this way, and it is cheaper.??

I hope she knows what she is talking about. She also said she NEVER heard about any leg cramps from taking tamoxifen.. Not a single patient ever complained.  I can see why! 

Anne

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited July 2010

I hope she knows what she's talking about also Anne and that all the right steps are made for your good health.  When you have the big picture in mind though, does it really matter what a doctor's bedside manner is?  The most important thing, it seems to me, is that she is totally armed with all your relevant information and that she is current on all the best ways to deal with it.  Where is Dr, House when you need him?

Greene, I feel how discouraged you are.  But Jackie said it best and patience is the key...I know easier said than done.  When PG the right decisions are made and that you have faith and go along with the plan, somehow with time, miraculously we do realize that treatment is indeed a temporary detour and will soon be a thing of the past.  Try your best to set aside negativity.  If I've learned anything in my old age it's that positive, optimistic energy is a force that heals.

I'm so overwhelmed by all your kindness and support, I just can't thank you enough.  What  amazing gifts... I'm truly blessed.  All your beautiful words are printed out and decorate my kitchen.  My keyboard is about to rust from the flowing tears.  All my best wishes to you, dear friends, the very best of good health and happiness.

Lisa, that is an impossible shot!  How can you capture total light on that fully blossomed gorgeous flower while the background is in total darkness.  A work of art!

• still-kickin
    still-kickin Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2010

Good morning Ma, I am 56 was dx 4-8-08 all my info is below. Im a newby here just a couple of days was sad to see no one is ever on the chat room. I would love to be bussom buddies that's what we call each othe in treatment with you. I finished chemo in Oct 08 but will have to remain on herceptin every 3 wks and aredia bone strengthener every 6 wks forever. Think we might have alot in common. So let me know when you are going to be on and maybe we can get in the chat room and chat.

• melissa-5-19
    edited July 2010

calling all members---Go to the light, deep breath slowly and mediated on the positive! Love to you all.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited July 2010

good morning too..what a shitty morning...i woke up with a swollen arm.i had i lymph node removed last month from the other side.where the hell did this thing come from...i am still in the anger mode...i did the white light and prayed so hard nothing is helping but YOU...thanks for listening.I DONT KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE WITHOUT YOU.GOD BLESS.

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

AND YES I CALLED THE DR. AND YES I AM WAITING FOR A CALL BACK.AND YES TOMORROW IS A FULL BODY PET SCAN AND MRI OF BOTH BREASTS AND YES I WANT TO SCREAM

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

thanks joyck...hey im prayin for you too..what would we do without each other.gosh its like a cirlce of friends that found each other.I am so impressed with the people from all over the world sending love,light and wonderful positive vibes to each other.it sure makes you wonder about LIFE.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2010

Breathe in -- breathe out -- let the light come and relax.  Nothing is going to happen Granny that you and God can't handle.  Just take those slow deep breaths and float in that light.  Let your mind be empty when you do this.  You will not believe what comfort can come to you.

After another ( mamma mia, such a day ) yesterday I went home and mainly did almost nothing.  Probably what I needed.  I'm going to be saving up for all of you as I'm knee deep for another couple days.  Just hang tight all you precious people.  I am thinking deeply of each of you and am putting you in a white,calm, serene light. 

I will see you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2010
    I'm here too Grannydukes!  We all are!  I don't blame you for venting!  You NEED to!  Just wait until you get all the tests back....then maybe you can yell again, & we'll be here!   God, I just hate when this happens to one of us!  (((((hugs))))) xoxoxoxoxoxo
  • FireKracker
    edited July 2010

thank you my wonderful sister.for your prayers and mostly for listening to this crazy lady rant and rave like a crzy women.the dr.did call me back.she said it has nothing to do with the bc.thats all i wanted to know.and she called 15 min.after she arrived at the office.so i ran to my excercise class that I run in my building and did the stretching and deep breathing and i do feel better.I should get the results of the petscan and mri that im doing tomorrw early next week.i will keep you posted..I HAVE THE BEST SISTERS IN THE WORLD...GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU..ONE DAY WE ARE ALL GONNA WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE..I THINK I NEED SOMETHING FOR MY NERVES.I TAKE VALIUM TO SLEEP.NOW SOMETHING TO GET THROUGH THE DAY...WOW THIS SUCKS

• melissa-5-19
    edited July 2010

Hey GrannyDukes and joycek- I will pray like the crazy woman I am! You need a break and the LE thing is my lifetime gift- almost immediately after surgery - I wear a BIG Bra and the sleeve and While in the light remembered "Well this ain't CA"....wishing you both the best- not trying to minimize your feelings at all but am sending positive vibes that you both get words easy to deal with and that you can handle! Many prayers for all, will check in later.HUGS to you both. (WE get venting- it's just your turn!:)) Miss Kitty

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

JOYCEK...STAY STRONG WITH ME ON THIS ONE.WE ARE WALKING DOWN THAT DARK ROAD HAND IN HAND.KEEP POSTING AS I WILL..WE CANNOT FALL NOW...ALL THE SISTERS ARE HOLDING US UP...THANKS GIRLS..I LOVE YOU ALL

• illinoislady
    edited July 2010

grannydukes,  I am concerned.  You are taking Valium for sleep.  It is an anti-depressant which can in some cases cause rage.  It is also fairly addictive.  I think you should have your medical/oncological team find you something else if you need something for sleep.  You do seem to be having some "rage" reactions to your predicament.  Hope you will think about this a bit.  I don't want to preach as this is your personal case and you would know best what is right for you.  I just don't feel vallium ( unless really short termed is all that safe ) is the best answer. 

Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2010

Hey kids.......sometimes we all gotta just let it go....We get to yell & scream & we do it with anyone that will listen.  And with us gals, this is the best place to be!  It's just so heart-breaking when we get bad news....but you know, I would rather it be me, than my Husband or my Daughters.  I couldn't stand it if something happened to one of them.   

I just had my Drivers license renewed!  I thought I would be waiting in this "forever" line, but I was only there for about 40 minutes!  At lunchtime!  I have been dreading this for a month!  Now all I gotta do is the Cyp2d6 blood test for Tamoxifen on Monday, & my "dance-card" is empty!  Ha! 

I'm beginning to see the "light!"   November is just a couple appointments for re-check!  Now girls, what else can I help you with!   You need a hug?  I'm here!    You need a shoulder to cry on?  We ALL are here!  And don't forget it!  xoxoxoxoxo

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

THANKS FOR THE HUG...DID ANYONE ELSE GET IT???????????

• Alyson
    edited July 2010

Morning all.

Firstly sending great big cyber hugs to Granny, Joycek, Julia and anyone else who needs them today. You are all in my prayers.

I know it is hard to keep calm - I had an angry day yesterday with lots of what ifs mainly because I cannot get the pain in my back under control and waiting is so difficult.

Granny have you been on to the lymphoedema site? Yiou will get some really good advice there about your arm and how to deal with it. I have it in my left arm and have it under reasonable control but it does flare at times. I too wear a big bra and a sleeve. Need the special wide bra because I get bad LE in the bra area under my arm. Call it my handbag.

Have just come in from the most dreadful blood draw - it was terrible. I always have trouble because as soon as I walk into the place my veins vanish and of course these days they can only use one arm. Told the girl that it could be difficult so she warmed up my arm, thought she had found the vein but it disappeared so she tried to move the needle around to find it. All the time she kept asking if I was OK. Eventually got blood from my hand. I really felt as if I was going to pass out. I hate blood tests. Coffee and bagel at a cafe did help blood sugar levels, then I walked back to get some exercise.

Yesterday I managed to plant out a new garden in front of the house - that's what I do when I am sad or angry - my garden is a solace, a place where I talk to God. Can't wait until spring and things begin to grow. Planted old fashion roses and lavenders as we live in what for NZ is an old house which was built about 1885 so decided to do a traditional garden.  Have some daffodils pocking their heads up through the grass as well.

Had better go and do something constructive around here.

Alyson

• melissa-5-19
    edited July 2010

Alyson- we can be BIG BRA BUDDIES- I just bought sleeves for $19.00 but the bras cost me $249.00- someday I will buy another one........

Sounds as if we are in good moods- smiling and soaking up the light

Night ladies.

• Alyson
    edited July 2010

My sleeves cost about100US as do my bras!! Where do you get sleeves for that price Miss Kitty?

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2010

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2010

I use sports bras that I find at my local, ummm, store for larger ladies. This helps reduce the tension on the LE side and I think the most expensive one was under $50.  Then on the t-shirt type ones, I sewed in the cup from an old bra to hold my foob - and I'm all set.  One side jiggles more than the other but if peope really care that's their problem. I wear the sleeve on busy days and hope that it is all under control. So far so good.

• bcamnb
    bcamnb Member Posts: 334
    edited July 2010

sending positive energies and vibes, prayers and good wishes from Canada - hang in there ladies. We WILL beat this and get our lives back!  So many, many good messages today - you women really rock....

xo

C