Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited July 2010

good morning girls

WELL its 12:00 in new jersey and im still waiting for my results on the mri.dr.is in surgery..im about ready to scream..the hugs im getting from around the world are keeping me going but i just about had it...trying to relax and just cannot cut it..

sending prayers to everyone...everyday and hugs too.

stillverticle I am sending you a PM

i love my sistas.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited July 2010

OK, I HAVEN'T POSTED A PIX IN A LONG TIME. THIS IS MAMA BIRD LETTING ME KNOW WHO'S HOUSE THIS REALLY IS AND NOW THERE IS A RED FINCH ON 'MY' FOOD AND

JUST WHAT ARE U GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? SHE IS GETTING ANNOYING NOW! GRANNYD, FINGERS CROSSED! KISSES, SV

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited July 2010

Good Morning, Pod

It was a beautiful drive into the Valley for Rad-25; I've been watching the orchards, and my particular treat is watching the rice grow - from first flooding the paddies to peeks of green to a lush emereld carpet.  The drive has some really pretty, loong views of rice fields, miles and miles of them.  Egrets live in the paddies, and you can tell the growth by how short the birds are becoming in relation to the green.  A few weeks ago, you could see these graceful, incredibly skinny white long legged, long necked birds. Now the egrets look more like long-necked ducks - no legs showing.  By Friday, they'll look like white sticks, just the neck and head showing. And today was a real treat - a blue heron, standing solitary vigil at the edge of the field closest to the road.  I got pretty excited to see him - he was standing in the same area on the way OUT of town as well!  Blue Herons are huge, and uncommon this time of year; and according to a Fish & Wildlife fellow I once talked with, you can set your calendar to the day a Blue heron will arrive on your property. (I'd asked because we had one in Oregon, for several years, who arrived every year at the same time, resting a day or two in the same tree). ... So, today I felt graced by seeing this magnificent creature - On both legs of my (hour each way) drive!!Smile  So, I share this glimpse of renewal and hope with you all.  I still haven't taken the time to figure out how to do pix, but I will eventually.

Isabella, I am sorry to hear of your heart problems and am sending best thoughts to you.  I'm glad they caught it before you had some not-fun "event".  Personally I like a dr who just gets to the point and tells me the truth, but it helps if they can show compassion at the same time.  Prayers for you.

And for you GD - hoping that by now you've gotten your results.  The waiting is sooo difficult. 

SV, my heart goes out to you during this rough patch right now.  Listen to Jackie.

If you want, I'll tell you funny or stupid sailing or pet stories..or even Daniel Boone gossip!

BarbaraA - Welcome!! You and I have a similar dx and timelines.  I've been in your June Rads group and wondered how you finished so quick - 16 tx; mine's 33.  You did so well - I'm impressed -- and your emu oil advice is well-taken, although I'm using it with Miaderm.  I've had a bit of a rougher road and decided not to vent on the rads list and scare the younger ones.  I'm pretty sure I'll get through this ok, but right now I'm taking the advice of my much loved family doc and just accepting "better living through chemistry".  I think I'm on my third set of skin, the nipple's almost black (normally peach), and it's a pretty big area being treated; I haven't worn shirts for 3 weeks except to go into town for tx or docs office.... So far no breakage. 

Anyway, I'll be starting Arimidex next month with the thought that most women don't experience side effects and I have a good chance to be among that majority.  I'll be interested in your outlook as the weeks and months pass.  I've already had the DEXA bone scan, and am actually in pretty good condition to start with, so am certainly planning to work hard to keep my bones strong & heart healthy.  I haven't had Vit D levels checked yet, but Med Onc has started me on upping the amount of Vit D & Calcium I take, and I'll probably add Glucosamine & Chondroitin + MSM after Rads are done. 

Alyson, best wishes for good test results! 

LuvRv  you're in my prayers right now.

My best to the rest..

Kathryn

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

OK SISTAS I GOT THE CALL.THE BOTH BREASTS ARE CLEAR...YAY.PET SCAN WAS CLEAR TOO....SO I SHOULD BE HAPPY RIGHT...THE NODES UNDER MY ARM STILL HAVE CANCER AND MUST BE REMOVED.I HAVE TO CALL TOMORROW TO MAKE AN APPT.FOR SURGERY.SHE ALSO SUGGESTED CHEMO AND RADS.DONT WANT TO PUT THIS BODY THROUGH THAT.I DONT THINK IT CAN TAKE IT.OMG WHAT TO DO..IM STILL GOING CRAZY.IM OK WITH THE SURGERY BUT CHEMO AND RADS.IM NOT..IF I DONT TAKE IT I HAVE TO SIGN A PAPER SAYING I REFUSED IT...MY FAMILY IS SUFFERING WORST THEN I AM...GIRLS IM A MESS STILL.

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

I FORGOT TO ASK THE DR.HOW MANY NODES ARE INVOLVED.DOES ANYONE KNOW?

SHIT.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2010

Hi everyone!  I am prepped and ready for surgery, just laying here with DH and DD by my side.  Having network access is awesome - it helps pass the time and lets me keep everyone informed.

Thanks for all the good wishes and positive thoughts.  I am holding up fairly well and and just ready for this part to be done.

JoyceK - Nashua is my hometown.  I was just there all last week with my Mom visiting family and friends.

Michelle

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2010
    Grannydukes....Hon, I think they will remove maybe the "sentinal" node, plus 2 others...If all those are clear, they will keep going on until the last one they check is clear.   Is that how you gals had it done?  Best wishes...xoxoxoxo
  • Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited July 2010

Granny, hip, hip, hooray!   I'm so glad to hear the breastal situation is AOK.  I raise my gin soaked golden raisin to your good health!   PG the surgery will remove any issue in the nodular area.  And about further treatment, it's a terrible worry, yes of course it is, but just think when it's over, you can put it all behind you and look forward to a long, healthy and wonderful life.  Believe me one day at a time turns into weeks, then months then all of a sudden it's in the past! 

Michelle, it was great that you were able to drop us a line at such a moment and I'm so glad to hear that you weren't alone during surgery.  All my very best wishes to you.

Kathryn, I really enjoyed your graphic description of the ride to treatment...the beautiful long- legged birds as they disappear in the lush carpet...I can almost see it.

Just got back from mon onc.  He said you're anemic, see you in 3 months and we'll check it again.  Does this sound right?  You know, I don't think I'm too crazy about this guy. 

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

chevyboy...the 1st.dr removed only the sentinal node in may and put me on arimidex.i was so sick i had to go off it.went to 2nd opinion and she said the nodes are infected.

so what your telling me is they dont know how many are infected until they go in and see..

i still dont get it why the first dr only took out the sentinal node...this bigshot who opened his own breast center...what am i missing here??????????

someone please put on the light as im still in the darkest place right now

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010

OMG GD, I AM SO THRILLED FOR YOU AND THEN AGAIN "WTF"???!! THE SURGEON MISSED SOME NODES OR HAS NEW CANCER GROWN OR DO THEY EVEN KNOW? There are a ton of lymph nodes in each side. I had three removed on the left side (left breast BC) and the way that they did it with me was to shoot a 'blue dye' into me that targets cancer cells. This was done right before surgery while they were prepping me. Any lymph nodes that 'light up' under a certain (microscopic light-I think) with the blue dye the are considered suspiscious and tested and/or removed. After I was injected with the dye, i was put under for surgery and the surgeon and his team did all of this. The dye placement was very specific and probably the most difficult part of the whole thing bec i was awake-they had put huge needles thru my boob to mark everything and I damned near passed out. When i was put under, the nodes were tested during seperate surgery on the armpit (sep from the lumpectomy). Three nodes "lit up" with blue dye but the results for cancer were negative after they did the biopsies. All of it was done while I was under anesthesia and on the table during my lumpectomy. And honey, you know my stand on chemical follow up-I do not know what to tell you as I have no idea what drugs they have out there for lymph nodes. Remember many docs are just dicks and I have no idea why your doc would only take one node or how he even tested all of the lymph system. how in the world does your female doc know that your lymph nodes have cancer? Is this just a suspician or is she sure and why is she sure? I have not had a pet scan so maybe it does way more than the battery of tests i was put thru. Take it one minute at a time, dear sister and make sure you have the facts you need and your questions answered if you have to have surgery again-AND GET ANOTHER OPINION IF YOU NEED IT!! love you and prayers with you-

And Momma Bird is thinking of you too-she is becoming a terror!!!

Hey you-person-lady-"I am still here and you still have not gotten rid of the finch horning in on my feed!!! i am thinking of ways to really whack your white merc mountaineer!" "Don't ignore me" geesus, this bird has been at it all day-attacking my windown. Maybe she knows I have A DRUG STORE in my house. This bird is OCD and needs prozac or a dose of klonopin! ((((BIG HUGS SISTERS))) SV

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2010

Welcome Barbara....I did one year of tamoxifen and four of arimidex..I must say it was not easy, but I was happy for it to be over..I finished up four years ago now...so over nine years overall...

I must admit treatment was very bumpy, but you have to do what you have to do...

I saw these on the way to the store today..heavy dew

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2010

AW Geez!  I just lost it!  Another post, gone into oblivion!  I tried to minimize this page, & it went into never never land!  But grannydukes.... Did you say your sentinal node was clear?  Or was it not?  On your profile, it says it was involved.  If it was, then most surgeons go for a few more, until they find a "clear" one.   If it was not involved, then that's probably why he didn't go any further!  When you go, ask LOTS of questions!   

And yes, SV was telling you the usual procedure they do before the surgery!  The nuclear dye will go to the nodes...that's why they wait 2 hours, giving it time to be massaged up your arm, to the nodes.  Then the wire is placed ....guided by an ultra-sound, into the exact spot of your tumor, so the surgeon can follow the wire into the spot, guided again by ultra-sound, & remove the tumor....taking enough out to give them "clear margins"....And each node taken out is analyzed, then they call the surgeon to tell them if they should take out more....If all is clear, then you are done!  Same with the "margins"....if they come back clear, then that is all they do! 

And infection is something different....Maybe it IS an infection, & not a malignancy!  A biopsy can easily tell that!   You have to ask lots of questions, take notes, & feel confident that they know what they are doing.  You also have to understand what they are telling you.... Just CALL the Doctor, and ask all of the questions you have written down!  Then you won't be so afraid.....Thinking of you.....xoxoxoxoxo

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

THEY DID INJECT ME WITH THE BLUE DYE.I DONT REMEMBER WAITING 2 HRS.BEFORE THEY PUT ME TO SLEEP BUT IN THE PATH REPORT IT DOES SAY FROM BIOPSY NODAL EXTENSION OF TUMOR IS IDENTIFIED.i also dont remember if the dr said infected or affected.big difference.the bottom line is c.

• Dilly
    edited July 2010

GD, When you go to docs, you might consider taking an old fashioned tape recorder.  That's what I did (we have an old mini), and also went armed with a written list of questions   (there's a good list of questions on Dr. Susan Love's website, a patient-specific questionnaire to help you prepare for these doc "visits" and in your decision-making as well.).  For my initial big consultations, I took the recorder and question list, and after intros, immediately asked both Med Onc & Rad Onc if they minded me taping the conversation - neither did. (It was two separate appointments. I felt very brave to have so stood up for myself)... I think such an approach is still uncommon here, but the idea was passed to me by the Humboldt Community Breast Health Project, who told me nowadays UCSF  video records initial bc consultation and gives disc to the patient when she leaves so that patient can review and re-review their information from the docs. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go to the doc for big stuff I'm always overwhelmed and even if I take a list of questions and write down answers, I can never remember all the info / words they speak.  This time with taking the recording, afterwards I played and replayed it and got a lot more out of the consult, and,  I could share with DH who wasn't at the appointment.  Later at followups, I made sure to thank both docs for allowing me to tape the conversation.  Anyway, even if you have a support person to go with you to help you remember all you'll be told, you might consider taking a tape recorder as well.  

• Dilly
    edited July 2010

I just can't resist asking if these will be called foobutts?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703394204575367460682040670.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsForth

Goodbye, Girdle: Curvy Stars Spark A Raid on Padded Panties

'Booty Pop' Rounds a Derrière in Jeans, But Egg-Shaped Foam Shows Under Silk

Laughing In case anyone else could use a good laugh.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010

Hey LUVRV-prayers and blessing with you and let us know what is up ASAP!!!! Sending lots of angels your way for peaceful time of it-good grief what a concept!! and the tape recorder is a must at the doc visits-I always take one bec i never hear anything the doc says anyway. I am feeling better and want to go out and play but temps are 90 and humidity 75% at about 7 pm. ERRGH. I am turning into a vampire-I can only get out at night. the suna nd heat just whacks me within 10 minutes or so. lisa-gorgeous pix as always!!!! ((((BIGGEST HUGS)))) SV and ok, since i cannot go outside, do I buy a treadmill or a camera (professional) to start shooting again. But I cannot go out anyway and I am welded to the couch. xxooo SV

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2010

grannydukes - most people do not have the difficult time that SV had with chemo. It certainly is not terrifically fun, but it also is not nearly as bad as old movies would have you believe. I threw up a grand total of once during the whole thing. I was tired a lot and had other side effects. It is sort of like a pregnancy  (and only about half as long) because now, a year later, most of it is a blur. It was well worth it for the opportunity to see my gorgeous grandchildren grow up.

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

THANK YOU SISTAS FOR ALL YOUR THOUGHTS AND WONDERFUL ADVICE.I CALLED MY NURSE FRIEND JUST NOW.SHE WORKS WITH MY GASTR DR. WHO KNOWS DR#2.SHE WILL LET ME KNOW WHAT HE THINKS ...IM USING HIM 15YRS AND HE KNOWS MY BODY BEST.AND THE NEXT TIME I GO TO ANY DR I WILL TAKE A TAP RECORDER....VERY GOOD IDEA..MY GANDDAUGHTER WROTE EVERYTHING DOWN BUT ITS A JUMBLE AS THE DR WAS TALKING VERY FAST.

I LOVE MY SISTAS.TONIGHT AS ALWAYS I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR ALL OF US.PLEASE GOD FIND A CURE FOR CANCER....

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited July 2010

Update: LuvRVing is out of surgery according to her daughter. They can't see her for a while so nothing new yet. StillVert Hot here in FL too. Fellow vampire here. LIsa the roses are exquisite. I so enjoy your pictures. My pictures are of my husband's band mostly these days and some sunsets that I just can't resist. If I can figure out how, I will post some one of these days.

GrannyDukes - need to take a deep breath and feel the big HUG I'm sending you. You can do it then it will be done.

• FireKracker
    edited July 2010

THANKS BARBARA...............I FEEL YOUR HUG...IM SENDING ONE BACK TO YOU AND ALL THE REST OF YOU SISTAS...THERE IS A SAFETY IN NUMBERS...LETS ALL PRAY TOGETHER...GOD PLEASE FIND A CURE FOR CANCER...

• LuvRVing
    edited July 2010

Hi everyone!  I got home a couple hours ago and I feel really, really good!  I have a nice "double-wide" ice pack hanging over my boob and under my arm.  Everyone at the hospital was just fabulous, concerned about my comfort, and I couldn't have asked for more.

The SN biopsy was clear (yeahhh!!!), the surgeon feels that she got clear margins around the tumor, and I am so glad I decided to have the lumpectomy before other decisions are made.  The final pathology report will tell the rest of the story.  Also, they are going to redo the ER/PR test because the report from the biopsy indicated "weakly positive" so it's a good idea to redo and then we should have a better idea of the hormone status.

My husband is still a nervous wreck, so I am going to let him pamper me for tonight.   I may kick him out of the house tomorrow afternoon for a little golf.  Otherwise, he may just drive me crazy.  I'm usually the caretaker in the family and it's a bit odd to be on the other side...lol   

Grannydukes - many diabetics get gastroparesis so if you click on the link below, this information will help you understand what's going on and how to modify your diet to help with digestion:

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/gastroparesis.html

SoCalLisa - your flower portraits are absolutely amazing!  I have some glass coasters that have a slot to add a picture.  I think I've found a source, if you don't mind that I print them.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening and a great tomorrow!

Michelle

• socallisa
    edited July 2010

Hi Michele...let your DH spoil you rotten and that includes alone time...

the pictures are for anyone to enjoy or print..I am not a pro...

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010
    YEAH MICHELLE, HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE!!!!! LaughingYEAH!!! REALLY LET YOURSELF GET SPOILED GAL, YOU DESERVE IT! XXOOO, SV
  • bcamnb
    bcamnb Member Posts: 334
    edited July 2010

Horray, Michelle!   Get the rads finished and on you will go!  You are well on the road to healing! xo from Canada,

C

• pauline0xtoby73
    pauline0xtoby73 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010

hi k husbandk

i have just had left breast and lymphnodes 3 removed 21 july i was living in queensland only had 3weeks to move down to daughters left house and contents so i could be looked after and get treatment it wasnt free where i lived in maroochydore i also have sick husband diabetic and alzeimers we hope to build flat on to daughters home iam73  but ihave lots of hobbies so i hope we can become friendsi ihave had computer 30years but used to windowsxp  ijust bought mac book pro and finding it hard to operate i start hormone treatment tomorrow also radiation still in much pain would love to hear from you       i have a daughter and 2 boys 9 grandchildren 8greatgreatgrandchildren       

best wishes      pauline

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited July 2010

Hi Pauline, it's wonderful to meet you and I want to wish you the very best with your further treatment.  So sorry about the pain, could you take something for it?  Also sorry about the difficult situation with your husband, I wish him the best.  I hope that lovely big family of yours gets you through this and please know that we are here to help.  All the best.  Julia

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2010

Hi Pauline!  Welcome aboard!  I'm just sorry you are still in pain, & THEN also taking care of your Dear husband!  So much to deal with right now!  What hormone treatment will you be taking?  Are your Sons close to you also?  And all the kids?  They will be a major source of happiness & support for you!  

Way to go Michelle!  Good job!  I was thinking about you!  Just glad that is over, & you are on your way now, Ha!  I mean on your way to go shopping, swimming, dancing, & lunching!  Wink

Talk to yo all later!  Such beautiful Pix Lisa!  I saved them again! xoxooxooxox

• LuvRVing
    edited July 2010

Good Morning PODs!  I am feeling really good this morning.  I have a slight "tenderness" in the SN biopsy area but the incision for the lumpectomy is feeling just fine.  I took Vicodin last night, but I doubt I'll use them again.  I generally take Arthritis-strength Tylenol for my arthritis and I think that will also take care of any other pain I might feel. 

The biggest "pain" is my husband who is trying to be "Mr. Helpful in Every Way"!  He insisted on sleeping in the living room with me last night, in his recliner.  That didn't work out so well because he kept changing positions and the squeeking of the chair kept waking me up.  Finally he switched over to the couch and that was better.  I woke up about 3:45 for a bathroom trip and then I realized I was hungry, so I ate a plum I had waiting for me and that solved the hunger problem.   But it took me forever to get back to sleep.  Tonight I'll go with the sleeping pill and my usual Tylenol and I will certainly sleep.

Joyce - I was in the Nashua High School class of 1968.  You can PM me and we can chat.  No one is going to let me do much of anything today, so I am sure I'll be on the computer most of the day.  And the heat index is supposed to be 110 or so...won't be able to get in the pool so I guess it's going to be an indoor kind of day.

Pauline - (((hugs))) and welcome to our group.  You have your hands full, for sure, at a time when you need to be pampered.  I hope you have family close enough to give you some help.  My mom has Alzheimer's and we moved her from NH to a nice apartment with assistance about 20 minutes from us.  She's still quite cognizant of who everyone is but can't tell you what she had for breakfast.  The aricept seems to be keeping her in a holding pattern.  I haven't lived near her since 1990 so it's good that she's now close and we can do things together while she can still enjoy them.

Thanks again to all of you for your positive thoughts and well wishes.  I could not have asked for a better experience yesterday and I feel such relief that the cancer has been evicted. 

Michelle

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited July 2010

Hi Gals,

It took me forever to get caught up!  Gosh, I didn't realize that I hadn't posted this month yet. Where is this summer going?  I've been enjoying it too much.  I bought a pontoon boat and we've been having lots of fun on lake and have been catching lots of catfish, too.  Then of course, there's golfing and tending the flowers.  I also had my oldest grandson for a week and I did nothing that week except pamper and spoil him!  I get my middle grandson in August and plan to do the same thing for him!

Welcome to the "newbies" on the thread.  There's lots of support here for you. 

I'll try to do better about posting now.  Hugs to all of you...........

Rita

• socallisa
    edited July 2010

Welcome Pauline, after you figure out your different computer system, you will be a pro...

I hope you will get something for your pain...just tell them..

Rita,, so good to see you and  hear you are having a funfilled summer..how great is that

Luv, hope you get over the hump of the pain too..

a rose to start out the day in misty Sounthern California