Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2010
    oops forgot - Heartnsoul - YAY - relief big time for you and us!!!  Yay, yay, yay!!
  • Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited December 2010

H

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited October 2010

Welcome back Isabella!  Been worried about you and your furred and hairy family.  So happy you're keeping the DH and MIL's dog away.  How is that new ram working out?

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2010

SV---sooooooooo sorry for your loss.boy oh boy you really need a break.

Lisa---i go every yr.for those tests...they need to find a better way.you have my sympathy

tomorrow is my big day.tryin to stay cool.not easy.

hugggggggggggs to all my sistas.God bless

K

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2010

Back from Gastro

upper endoscopy...esophageal varices still small so NO banding..whew

lower endo...only only small polyp..doc took for biopsy...

so it looks alot better than was expected....good news

can't say that much for the prep tho...no sleep for the weary!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited October 2010

Great news, Lisa! Glad it's over, too - I have to drink some sort of stuff for a CT scan tomorrow. Banana shake flavor - I'm sure it's just yummy! I've never had an upper or lower endo - dread, dread, dread that!

Isabella, that's usually how I run my heat. I turn it off at night because I figure I'm under an electric blanket and my pets have on a fur coat!

Haven't been able to see the cat the neighbor called about yet, but he said he will call again when he sees her.

Got prepped for radiation today - what a weird bunch of stuff they do to you. It's completely alien, you just have to go with the flow and hope for the best. 

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited October 2010

Hey everybody.  Halfway through rads as of today.  I'll make it, not sure about my skin!  Barbara, I'm going to look for some emu oil, but I'll have to go to Charlotte.  The health food store along with almost everything else in our mall has closed, including my beloved book store.  Grrr.

HnS--any news on whether the cat was Itty Bit?  I know you need her back!! Still thinking good thoughts.

Isabella--so glad to see you back!  And glad the roaming cows weren't yours.  Doing cow counts in the pouring rain does not sound like fun!  

Lisa--great good news from you!!  

SV--mercy!!  You've been through so much just since I've joined up here (not to mention  what happened before)  and my heart breaks for you over the loss of another friend.   I'm thinking of you, dear one.

Jackie-- I did the auction thing when our garage had the remnants of 2 homes in it, my 2 maidenly aunts' and my father's.  None of them had ever thrown away anything in their lives, and I mean that literally.  My father died in January at 93 and he'd kept every check stub, bank statement, utility bill, etc from his whole life!  We shredded or burned that, but still had a lot of furniture, clothes, etc from him.  My aunts were very frugal ladies--they had Christmas presents still in boxes, several sets of new dishes, mixers, all never used, as well as all their furniture.  We finally called an auction house and they came and got everything and sent us a check.  One interesting thing was that I never knew that my aunt Kate had had a boyfriend at one time, but she'd saved every card and letter he ever sent, several boxes full, with 2 or 3 cents postage on them!  I kept those but can't read them yet (if I ever do).  Kate's still living and is 98 years old, and I just can't do it now. Really, I probably never will and will just burn them too, after Kate goes.  She's a real treasure to me!

Night, ladies!

Kathy

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,418
    edited October 2010

Yay Lisa.  Glad all seems well. See you ladies tomorrow.

Hugs for tonight,

Jackie

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited October 2010
    good to see you, isabella. glad the evil monster is gone.. now, which one WOULD that be H, or dog..pick one, you'd be right either way.. am glad THEY will now have to deal with the dog, and that he's in the same house with it. stay dry, and good luck with all your friends of the animal kind. i love hearing about the farm life... light and love,  3jays
  • socallisa
    edited October 2010

I just ran across this picture I took of my friend's rose

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited October 2010

Great news Lisa!!! And lovely rose!

• claude1944
    claude1944 Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010

Hi gal,......has been awhile as I am vacationing in Holland, MI and we have been on a dead run every day....I did make it through Chicago but honestly I think I could have walked alongside the car faster...SV...sorry about your friend......Heart-Soul sure hope your lead on your kitty is going to bring your baby back......I am going to throw a can of worms for you to comment on as I have a question  that I ponder and I get mixed answers..Does anyone know if dying hair makes us at risk for brain cancer?  I have been dying my hair about 4 times a yr. but have starting worrying if it is safe for our cancer returning???Would love to hear if anyone has any info that would be helpful...Hope all my bcsisters are having a great day and hope we can all stay positive in this race that we run....Love to all

• socallisa
    edited August 2013

I used to visit Holland MI when I was a kid living in Grand Rapids in the 1940s

Queen Juliana would come to the tulip festival and invite the little kids to sit

near her...quite a nice time...

Just saw this rose in the front garden of Trader Joe's Market today

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2010

Hi Gals!  Beautiful picture, as always Lisa!  And Claude.....I should tell you I have been coloring my hair for a million years!  Ever since I was 23!   So 50 years later, I STILL am, like every 6 weeks!  EEEEgads, don't tell me you have heard we get  cancer from that too!    I think I shall choose to ignore any stats on that!  Wink  I use Wella "Presentation" hair color in the tube, & I mix it with 20 volume cream peroxide.   I think my hair is all grey!  But no-one, not even I shall know, because I keep it colored!    Okay, I'm done. xoxoxoxo

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited October 2010

I just had let all of my hair grow out white this past year. I have had white hair since I was 16 with it gradually becoming all white in my late 40's. My hair is bright white and I don't mind it too much now. It is sort of wild and curly. I wonder what it will be when it grows back. About dying hair, remember you hair is dead, don't rub hair color onto your scalp, or into your scalp, that does no good and does not make the color last longer. I can't imagine what the problem would be. Of course check with reliable sources, not souces attempting to sell you another product.

I had my first TAXOL on Monday and did okay. Watched my age spots on my arms and hands fade away before my eyes.  I am very fair so the result is dramatic.and welcome. I literally never get out in the sun. The doc did a vitamin D check on me then but I didnt have the results back that day so I ewill see.

Am I the only one having a problem with getting to the bathroom on time? I use these poise pads because I dare not do otherwise. During infusion I had to get up no less than 4 times to go pee. The thrid time I actually peed on the floor as I was getting pants down, while of course wrangling a big infusion machine down the hall along with me.  I had a little bit of sneezing peeing before all of this but am starting to wonder if I need a urologist but I dont have any other symptom.

I also told my Doc about something I never mentioned before. I sort of feel like I am going to pass out when I get out of the shower. I never have that wonderful feeling of nivce humidity helping with a cold in the shower. No I had a collapsing feeling and wind up grabbing towels and throwing myself on the bed until I recover. The doctoc said after I am done with chemo I need a COrtisol test. I have never heard of Cortisol, anybody out there know about this?   I do try to keep the shower cool. WHen I worked in Haiti we had no hot water so I never had the problem there. You do the Holie Pokie shoiwer in HAiti, Put you left foot in, right foot in etc. Hahah. 

So I am back feeling pretty decent, no muscle pain yet from the TAXOL and Neulast tomorrow so no bone pain yet either. I hope to have another good, goiod days are such a girt. 

Isabella do you recomment Cavalier King CHarles Spaniels. I need a companion for my 14 lb poodle mix up.     

Love to everyone, I read all you write and think of all of you. Thanks for the prayers on MOnday.

GInger

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited October 2010

Hi Claude...Hi Chevvy.

I have coloured my hair since I was 14, I am still colouring it right now 7.5 years since my DX,

I have heard the hair dye/ cancer stories, I suppose it is a risk, but then just about everything else we eat or use gets the blame for cancer, so what do we do ?? I just keep on keeping on...like you Chevvy.  I THINK my hair is pretty well grey now, but I'm not about to stop colouring my hair to find out.

I use the L'Oreal 10 minute permanent dye, so as the dye isn't sat on my scalp for a half hour, or more. Only trouble is they are very good, very quick, but they DO fade, seem more like one of those dyes that are semi- permanent, and grow out....they just fade to a lighter shade. ONE DAY, when I remember, I have it on my mind to write and complain to L'Oreal about this, but I never remember when I have an empty packet in my hand, always when I have just burnt the damned thing !

Have been shopping today, and came back about empty handed....not at all like me ! Cannot get what I want, so good excuse to hit the shops again next week. I DID pick up a Christmas Cake, after my disasterous attempt at baking one last week. Put it in an airtight tin, and will ice it Christmas week...no-one will be any wiser that it wasn't produced by my own fair hand !! Trouble is my DD is sure to sus me out ...her cooking is about on a par with mine, so I shalln't be able to keep a straight face for her ! We compare horror stories about cooking mishaps. Lots of people are suprised at my lack of culinary skills...invariably they all say 'Oooo, a farmers wife that can't cook, don't believe you' To which I answer I AM NOT a farmers wife. I am a FARMER. I could just do with a wife right now !!!

Isabella.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2010

Everything gives you cancer. I too have coloured my hair forever. Actually not sure how grey my hair really is though I often do think about letting it go natural.

Just tidying up now the kitchen is in, still the rangehood to be fitted but everything else is done. Have some things that have to wait until the rangehood is done other wise everything is away and the kitchen is functioning. My stove is beautiful, now I just have to learn to use it. will cook a roast meal tomorrow night for some friends and DD wants a cake for her birthyday so will do that on Saturday. It is so nice to reclaim the living/dining room back.

big hugs

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited October 2010

Isabella what is a Christmas Cake?   Thanks Ginger

• socallisa
    edited October 2010

anyone know what this iss?

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2013

impatiens new guinea i think

• socallisa
    edited October 2010

Claire, you are just too darn smart...good for you!!

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2010

only thing i can grow in my shady yard :)

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010

Lisa-I don't know, but it is gorgeous.  You have no idea how many of your photos I use for my desktop!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2010

hi everyone....just wanted to let you know my onco score was 10.NO CHEMO..YAY...she did mention rads but i didint want to hear 5x a week for 5 weeks.no way.not with that score.and i will be goin on arumisin(not sure how to spell it) when im ready.so i have been partying all day and thanking GOD and everyone who has been prayin for me.GOD IS GOOD...

hope everyone is doin good.IM STILL PRAYIN EVERYDAY FOR A CURE...WE WILL BEAT THIS MONSTER...I KNOW IT...GOD BLESS MY SISTAS

HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS

K

• socallisa
    edited October 2010

Granny, great news on ONCO DX score...

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,418
    edited October 2010

Re:  Hair Dye ---- I think there are some that are way less harsh -- like Nice & Easy use to be and maybe still is.  I would not be too worried about it....as stated, it is a big world with lots of products and if you want to find a correlation you probably could.  I will admit though....even at 65 there is only a tinge here and there of gray.....not near enough for any concern from me.  little tips of it here and there.

I think the peace of mind you'd get from presenting yourself a certain way is probably a better concern. 

GD good for you. Yay and wonderful. 

Alyson -- your kitchen sounds wonderful.....I know it was a huge project.  Must be a  ( the nice kind ) sigh of relief and happiness for you. 

Ginger --- never heard of your problem before.  Hope someone here will pipe up if they may have noticed anything like it.  Very odd, but then as is so often said......everyone seems to have a different reaction to Chemo. 

Hope you all have a great night and a fantastic day tomorrow.

Hugs, Jackie

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2010

Grannydukes: Glad you got good news about the oncotype.  Sounds like you have a good plan. 

• Unknown
    edited October 2010

Ginger,  your problem is not uncommon....sometimes even though I get to the bathroom, the second I see the toilet and start pulling my pants down, I am ready to go and sometimes don't quite hold it long enough....it's like a subliminal suggestion or something....see the toilet and have to go right then.  And when I sneeze forget it!  I remember my mom sneezing and then she would yell Damn and my father and I would burst out laughing because we knew exactly what had happened.  Now I am in the same boat and I never even had kids....a lot of people blame it on that....I think chemo does something to the muscles also.  Interesting about age spots fading...guess that is one plus to the chemo if it does that.

Lovely pics as always, Lisa. 

Any news on Little Bit?  Our new dog has a really obnoxious bark, sort of like a deep howl and several neighbors have commented on it.

Today the onco ordered a PET scan...the one I had always asked why I didn't get.  Now I am having one on Monday and am not sure if I am happy about this.  He said the radiologist consulted with him on my last CAT scan results and that ablation would not be a good thing to try on my liver because of tumor location.  So he wants to do something called chemoembolization where they inject the chemo right into the tumor...it would be done the same way they do an angiogram, through my groin.  He also had then draw blood for a cell search today and when the nurse told me that one I said Oh shit and said I had just done that one a few months ago.  He just wants to make sure nothing is going on that he doesn't know about, but I hate the fact that he must think there is a possibitlity or he wouldn't even be doing these tests.  If I am able to have the procedure done he said he would like to have it scheduled the week after Thanksgiving when he is here....I don't even know who does this?...him, or a radiologist or whom?

Re dying hair....guess you all know from my avitar, I stopped coloring mine a long time ago and I actually like it.  But believe me, I did my share of dying and started early....tried just about every color there was and in hs my hair actually fell out from over-processing becasue I wanted to be a platinum blonde!  I frosted it for years and when I did start getting gray it just sort of blended in with the blond streaks.  If it feels good coloring it, go for it.  So far as causing cancer, I think it that were true a heck of a lot more people would have it than do now.

Would love to be a part of the group visit to you SV, but think I won't be going anywhere in Dec. if Dr.Cody wants to do this procedure the end of Nov as he said. In the meantime I am going to Florida because that is planned and I am going to abuse my liver with margaritas....will either be celebrating tests showing nothing new or drowing my sorrows.....but it will be fun to be with my girl friends.  Back to the roller coaster ride.

Good night ladies.  I am going to go to bed and watch tv and hopefully go to sleep.  Everything is better after I sleep on it.  I want them to do something for the tumor in my liver and I know we can't just continue to watch it grow, but I don't do well with change and new info so need awhile to digest this.  MB

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited August 2013

((((((ittyBitty))))) Ok h&s bring kitty fav kitty food and put it out around the area of hot lead!! Thanks for support on Steve'sdeath. I have been MIA. Dave and I went sailing just to try to get our heads around it all and tomorrow doing photo shoot (I hope) of "Surf Paddle Out" to celebrate hismemeory. First one on the OBX by the East Coast Surfers Associa. Steve's sons are paddlingout with his board and then all form a circle. Winds too high for plane so trying to slam-find a high vantage point. Lisa, fingers grossed for you GI scope-it is such a drag!! Oh man, posted when everyone else was posting. Chemo nukes any idea of potty training. And MB big prayers for your scan on monday-get it done! Love to all, SV

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited October 2010

good to hear from you, SV im glad to hear your plans for the beach tommorrow in memory of your friend,. the ocean is where i feel the closest to any kind of higher power, or God.. i hope you all fins some solace there.              Isabella, good luck with the shopping. i dont feel nearly as guilty about being a clothehorse since i've "met " you!! even with husband, which you aren't missing a bit; i think we could all use a cleaning "wife" that's for sure.. so. cal; your pictures are always so gorg! do you enter any contests? 'cause you should!!glad to hear everyones tests are coming out ok. seeing onco tomoro, after THEIR 3rd change in appt..and, they never even called to say the PET scan she ordered came out ok. i finally went to the facility and got the results myself! to say the least; we're having a long talk tomoro...have a good nite, guys  3jays