Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited October 2010

{{GD}} Great news!

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2010

Granny, Good news.

• claude1944
    claude1944 Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010

Good morning gals,  Liked what you all had to say about hair dye....guess I will continue to dye mine too.....Hope you all have a great day.....hugs to all.....Claude

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited October 2010

Still looking for Itty Bitty Pretty Kitty...SV, just when I thought of the cat food it started pouring. I had cat food and a spoon ready to go (they run when they hear the spoon on the can), but then it started raining and did for 2 days. We couldn't find her when he first called, or the next morning but he said he would call if he saw her again. Guess I'll drive up and down the streets banging the spoon on the can for the next few days (yelling Saab, Saab! haha 3jays - can't get over that joke!) I hate to have a cat out on Halloween - she's not black or anything, but they do get scared from the sudden weird human behavior! Sounds like a really great memorial service for your friend, hope you get some great shots with your new camera. Did you ever get the results back for your endoscopy? Has the bleeding stopped? I won't get all my results back until a week from tomorrow, Nov. 5th. I suppose then I'll have the big discussion about DIM or Arimindex with her. I hope, hope, hope she'll let me do the DIM!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited October 2010
    hey ladies am thinking of you all..sv hope you dont get too tossed around today, and the weather is great for your liitle group. what a lovely way of doing things. hope you get great pics.am lighting a candle for your mental health in the grief, and his familys' as well. greif is a tough emotion to handle, even when your heads screwed on tight.. like mine never IS..heartn soul..still praying for itty bitty kitty to come home. she may have holed out under a porch, or something till its, sunny again. went to onco today, and blood work looks good. PET says i'm still w/ NED.. she wanted to push als w/ me again, but agreed too much, having had 4 strokes prv.. tell me how DIM works?? please. im already taking gapeseed extract re: mayo clinic. still have LOTS of body fat, having gained 8 lbs. since chemo last year. she looked at my feet, and said, ok 5lbs at least, is h2o gain, so she was ok with all of it in the end. my wet spots have totally dryed up; so she thinks my estrogen level must be low.. forgot to ask if this blood work will have est. level on it. if not, goingto ask to have one drawn. no sense of wondering..problem is, neither onco, nor gp really count supplemts or alt. therapies. have had to find options from women here, and friends.  anyone ? anyone want to explain to me what her 2 neu is exactly? i thought it was both er+ and prog+ (which i am..) now they said, no that's not it..starting talking about dont use prog. cream, and never DID explain her 2 neu to me! will be cking to see if SV shows up later.. pACE OUT...3JAYSMOM
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2010

3 jays, sent you a pm with a website

• barbaraa
    edited October 2010

OK, I used to have a garden. Now I have pots on my patio and Lisa's pictures have inspired me. And after seeing the result, I am off to get a new camera on Saturday. But here's a potted flower.

And another but that's it until the new camera. Just not the same as a real SLR camera.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited October 2010

Ginger... don't you have Christmas cakes ?

It is a very big tradition here, never let Christmas go by without a Christmas cake, or two, in the house.

It is a very rich fruit cake, everything you can think of fruit wise goes in, lots of spices and black treacle, and sherry. We 'feed' it with either brandy or sherry while its in the tin awaiting being iced.

Just drip a few fluid ounces of spirits into the base of the cake each week.... mmwwaaahhh!!

About a week or ten days before Christmas we cover it in marzipan then ice with royal icing, and decorate with all sorts of things. When the kids were little it was all snowmen and Father Christmas, then we progressed to more sophisticated fancy icing....now having a 2 yr old about we're back to the snowmen this year !  A lot of people will eat it with a wedge of cheese, but I don't like it that way.

Granny. Good News. Pleased for you.

SV....have you gone to earth again ??

Isabella.

• barbaraa
    edited October 2010

Isabella, in the US, we have a tradition of banning anyone who gives us a fruitcake from our lives for pretty much ever. Our fruitcakes here are purchased and DRY and crumbly and generally nasty. BUT I must say if anyone ever made a fruit cake for me, such as you describe, I would be over the moon with culinary joy!

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited October 2010

My DH just LOVES fruit cake.  I don't, but with all the added "spirits", who knows?? I always make a lot of "icebox" cakes that my mother made, just a box of vanilla wafers, pecans, marischino (sp?) cherries, held together by a can of Eagle Brand.  You keep it in the refrigerator, hence the name.  I always say you could put Eagle Brand milk on a rock and it would taste good!

SV, hope the Paddle Out happened and went well, although I'm sure it was hard for everyone involved.  It sounds like a wonderful  send-off for someone like Steve must have been  

Kathy

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2010

Does anyone remember the ubiquitous fruit cakes from Claxton, Georgia? Like little bricks. :-)  The icing might make commercial fruit cake edible. The alcohol has got to help. 

pam 

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010

Isabella-Our fruitcakes are dreadful.  Dry and "old" tasting.  (at least to me)  Now moist and with spirits could go a looong way in changing my attitude!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2010

A really great fruit cake is wonderful - will make mine next week. When they are moist they cut so well. We use then for wedding cakes as well although chocolate mud cakes are popular as well
    (I make them too). The icing is the least edible thing about them, having iced cakes I don't eat a lot of the icing as I know how much it is handled in the process. I use mazipan and foundant icing, then use royal icing for the decoration. Its not so much fun in the middle of summer icing cakes as they can sweat a bit.

It is the most glorious day here and is getting warm.

Today is my little grandaughter's 2nd birthday. We have been out to have lunch and now she is asleep clutching her new 'bubba' which DH and I have given her. She has really protested when anyone tries to move it. She is so pleased that she can take it home as usually the toys that are here don't go home. She also got a little dress up tutu and we spent quite some time dancing - I am so pleased no one could see granny doing ballet!!

Must get some things done around here.

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2010

Hi Ladies -

It'll take awhile to catch up, but scanning posts from the past couple days sounds like a lot of Good News!! Yay for us-all.

Add me to the list: clean mammo!  We happy danced all the way home. Thank you for your prayers and good wishes!

Off to bed. Happy dance or no, it was a Long drive.

• redsoxfan
    redsoxfan Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2013

OK.  First of all, BarbaraA, I think that's a lantana.  Supposed to repel mosquitos.  Great in hot and semi-dry places.  Even here, on Cape Cod, we can grow them seasonally.  Great plant in a rich variety of colors.

On to fruitcakes:  My from the source Irish relatives LOVE them.  And, it's fun making them, putting them in tins, and feeding them whiskey(etc.)for the next few weeks.  On my holiday list of make-aheads for this weekend.

Wonderful news, Lost_Creek.  May God contunue to richly bless you.  The onc told me, that with my dx, the agreement at MGH was one year.   Hmmmmm....

God bless us all.

Edited to add:  If scheduled in April as planned, it will be 8 months from the end of radiation.  

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2010

Hi gals!  Could someone please post a recipe for their fruit-cakes?  Or even PM me?  DH LOVES them, & the last one I tried to make, (my own recipe) was a disaster!  I had to pour it from the pan, even after it baked an hour!  It didn't even make a good "pudding" Yell!!

Thanks! xoxoxoxoxo

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2013

I just received  this in an email....hope it comes through!  xoxoxoxo

Attitude

There once was a woman who woke up one
    morning, looked in the mirror,
     and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.
    'Well,' she said, 'I think I'll braid my hair today.'
    So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror
     and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.
    'H-M-M,' she said, 'I think I'll part my hair down the middle today.'
    So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed
     that she had only one hair on her head.
    'Well,' she said, 'today I'm going to wear my hair in a
    pony tail.'
    So she did, and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror
    and
     noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her
    head.
    'YAY!' she exclaimed. 'I don't have to fix my hair
    today!'

Attitude is everything.

Be kinder than necessary,
    for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of
    battle.

Live simply,
    Love generously,
    Care deeply,
    Speak kindly,
    and pray continually.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.       

• barbaraa
    edited October 2010

{{{{{Lost_Creek}}}}}} Happy Dance!!! I know what a relief that is. Just had the same relief a couple weeks ago. Whew! Alyson, take a 'tutu' pic! Love to see your GD. SV-hope the memorial was good.

Everyone have a happy, BC-less weekend!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

OMG, we have a fruitcake that has been mailed around and around to relatives since 1952! It is without doubt the worst thing one can get at Christmas. THOUGH, Isabella the UK version sounds great-too bad I don't drink. And Barb, you got a camera-I am so proud of you girlfriend!! The turnout for Steve's funderal and "paddle out" was massive-like 1000 people in the water doing the surfer circle including his kids and bagpipes and lots of friends on the beach where he passed. Four weeks ago Steve was in the waves with a friend and had told him that if he was to die that he wanted it to be on a surfboard-how prophetic is that for a great dude over 60 years.

Shot these yesterday. Stained glass window is in our church. And ladies this where we be in a month or so. Sitting on the beach with the locals-Corolla Wild horses! Need to dash to a meeting. Love and hugs to all and more later to get caught up on. Oh David and I crashed the boat-well, it crashed us. Three of us (thank God three) took the brand new "De-lite-Ful" out on its first run and the mast snapped in mid flight!! Huge deal on a 32 foot boat and David went berserk. I took the helm, the boys tried to lash eveything down in very rouch seas. We limped in under motor power. Oh, the fun never ends! This was a new freaking boat!! Needless to say I got bashed about the cockpit-did the final bust on my right knee and now have to have a total knee replacement. Ok, new boobs and new knee now needed. But all ok-could have been way bad so praises. GEESUS! XXOO, SV

• barbaraa
    edited October 2010

SV - sometimes I wonder if you are like that cartoon guy with the black cloud over his head all the time. Despite the adversity, you keep on going just like the Everready bunny. Glad the memorial was good but SO sorry to hear about the new boat losing a MAST!?? Man that's hard to do on an OLD boat.

• Dilly
    edited October 2010

Kathryn's Backwoods Christmas Fruit Cake

4 cups raisins or currants or dried cherries or craisins; 4 c dried apricots cut up;  4 cups dried apples cut up;  2 cups dried pears cut up.  Soak in 50/50 mix of red wine & apple juice for 3 hrs

Cream and beat well 1 pound brown sugar; 1 cup honey; 2 Tablespoons molasses; 1 1/2 cups butter; 10 eggs - 

Sift together 4 cups unbleached flour; 1/2 cup bran; 2 cups whole wheat flour; 2 teaspoon cream tarter; 1 teaspoon salt; 1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon; 1 tablespoon ginger; 2 tablespoons nutmeg; 1 tablespoon ground cloves; 2 tablespoons grated orange peel. 

Drain the fruit, save the juice - you will need 1/2 to 1 cup

Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, add 1/2 cup brandy and 1/2 to 1 cup of the juice/wine liquid.

fold in the fruit plus 3 cups chopped walnuts and 2 cups chopped almonds

Grease and flour pans, bake at 325 degrees til done - golden and pulling away from sides of pans.  Yield about 10 to 12 pounds of cake.  Soak cheesecloth in good rum or brandy, wrap the cakes & put in tins.  Every so often for the next two months, re-soak the cheesecloth.  

No frosting.  Guess I never thought of it. It's been years since I made this cake, but folks always liked it - much different from commercial cakes. 

The best commercial cake is the Collins Street bakery out of Texas - those are not bad.

ps: CB, if I remember right, it takes more than an hour at 325 because these are so heavy a cake. -- just watch for the pulling away from sides of pan & the golden color. 

• Dilly
    edited October 2010

SV I just couldn't put this with the cake recipe - but you have my condolences on the loss of your friend, but your celebration of his life sounds like just what he'd have wanted.  And losing a MAST?  holy cow!  You are the energizer bunny for sure, but somehow hooked up with Joe Bfltznyk, the guy under the cloud BarbA mentioned. My best wishes to you!

For those in treatment, waiting results, having tests, looking for lost critters - prayers and good wishes to you all.

And to all with Good News, YAY!  

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2010

SV, I couldn't make the pix larger are those wild horses?

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2010

Lost Creek:  Thanks so much for posting your cake recipe. I have never made a holiday fruit cake before but your recipe sounds wonderful and I think I will try it.

Everyone, have a wonderful weekend. For those in treatment, hopefully side effects will be minor and you will enjoy the weekend

Hugs

Mandy

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

The recipe sounds awesome!! And Lisa wanted larger pix of the wild horses on the OBX. Daylight fading so very dark. The fact of my life is that I am in great denail over my age and new lack of ability to do extreme things. But then I saw GD dancing. I am SO not worthy!! LUV to all, SV

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2010

Thanks SV for enlarging the photo. It is gorgeous.

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited October 2010

Hi you wonderful gals with the gorgeous photos,

I am so impressed! What kind of camera do you use? 

Glenis 

• barbaraa
    edited October 2010

Lovely, SV. They are so wild looking.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2010
    Thank you Lost Creek!  I printed it off!  I love the pictures too! xoxoxoxo
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2010

And you'll get to see them Barb! We are driving on the beach now-yipee! Tourist season over and noone to run over in our SUV's. I am shooting with a Canon 20d and new 300 zoom so not used to all the gadgets yet. They were being just housed by biting flies and very docile in this shot. The herd stays huddled to keep the flies off each other and they stand down at the ocean to help! Prayers for all going thru tests and things. MB fingers crossed for Monday!! XXOO, SV