Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited December 2010

Wow! Miss a few hours and it takes half the morning to catch up!  

Isabella - try to stay warm and out of the cold as much as the animals will allow.  Just sit by a warm fire or heater and grab a book or knitting needles and relax.  You have had a lot to deal with lately. Wish you were able to come to the OBX with us just to get away.  You would be welcome to come to NC anytime.

Kathy - Glad you are getting at least one day without that long trip.  Take care of yourself and don't try to overdo things. Take the time to rest and try to build up some strength.  Remember you are cared about and have lots of thoughts and prayers headed your way.

I go for rad #11 today.  This week has gone a lot smoother than any of the previous ones.  I am really tired, but then my DH and all my friends say I am doing too much and I don't think I am doing anything.  I am so excited about the OBX trip. I am almost all packed already.  Just waiting to finish rads and then Barbara to pick me up in the morning.  I finally got a copy of the last bone scan report and the bone mets are a lot worse than I thought so I will have to really be more careful about picking up heavy things and trying to reach higher than I really can. At least now I know that I have to be careful.

I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I do not look as sick as I really am.  Everyone says how good I look, even the doctors.  I think that is what makes it too easy for me to overdo things.  Some people that do not know me well don't even know I am how sick I really am.  I have decided that I am going to just start doing everything I have always wanted to do while I still have some time left.  If I live another 20 years or so I still will not get through my "Bucket List" so I am starting now on doing only the things that are important to me and that bring me joy and the rest of my world can come along and enjoy the ride or they can go hang out in the corner and watch.  Time for me to be selfish.

Hope everyone has a joyous day.

Amy Jo 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited December 2010

Good Grief Amy, I am so glad i am not the only one who falls behind within an hour's time. Crikey!!! Barb is in Raleigh-WOO-WOO and ready to pick up everyone tomorrow-for the first trip and reunion on the Outer Banks. I cannot tell everyone how excited I am, Man we have a cold snap and temps plummeted to about 30 degrees today. Bring gloves hats and scarves!! And Isabella, is it usual to get snow in the UK, I would think so-I wish you could post pix!! I want to see the farm!! Very clear and gorgeous here, but freaking cold!! Don't want to leave the house kind of cold!! (((Amy Jo)))) and yeah, we are gonzo women-after rads it is like ya get to do one thing a day or NOTHING AT ALL a day. If I try to do two things, I am sunk. XXOO, SV

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited December 2010
    kathy, i somehow missed the typing to you last post..blame t on ever present chemo brain.. am there with the rest of the ladies, holding your cyber-hand, as Barbara A put it.. prayers..3jays
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited December 2010

{{3Jays}}} wish you were here. Next year - YOU ARE COMING! The plan is:

I pickup AmyJo around 11. We head to airport to get Marybe. Then we go eat. (food is very important). Then we head to grocery store (OBX grocery stores are tres $$$$) then off we go. It is a long drive 3-4 hours but we will take pix because the swamp is so interesting.

I got the coolest car. It is a Ford Flex. Cool car. I kinda doubt it will be sand-worthy but SV has 4 wheel vehicles. I am not averse to trying the sucker on sand. WOOHOO!! Get an Avis towtruck to drag our butts out of the sand 10 miles north of the closest real road.

Maybe not.

Anyway, folks, we will be posting evidence of our antics each day so Lord help all of us.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited December 2010

Can't wait Barbara

• Elisimo
    edited December 2010

Rad #11 was a doozie.  I am glad tomorrow is the last one for a month or so. I have been almost sick all day and my back is killing me.  At least I have not been as sick as I was the lat 2 weeks.  The RO wants me to start cutting back on the Fentanyl with my next patch change - er -I don't think so!?!? I will do one more of the 25 mcg/h  on Sat. then next Tuesday I will try to cut back if my back is not hurting this bad.  I can only imagine how bad it would be without the Fentanyl with it hurting this bad with the drugs.  Will have to wait and see how I feel on Sat.  

DH is cooking Tacos for dinner tonight so maybe I can eat a little.  I will try anyway, I love mexican food. I am a true Tex-Mex girl. :-)  I can hardly wait until tomorrow.  Off to the beach WOO HOO. 

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2010

((((((AMYJOE)))))) We will take really good care of you!! I SO wish that bunches of gals were coming cause there are so many i want to meet!! We just have to keep this going until we are 90 or so and have beaten cancer and in our wheelchairs and walkers!! And oh, i did the ultimate test of store motorized carts. I went thru Walmart limping along with a regular push cart and was treated like an absolute peon!!!! OH NO, this will not do for the queen-SO (really did have to use) the motor cart in Harris Teeter cause I could not walk and wow, I feel terrible (sort of) because people were so incredibly nice to me cause I was in a motorcart. Would feel awful, but I really do need the motor cart-my knees are just shot and it is not worth the pain!! OK, less than 24 hours and the gals are here-WOO-WOO, Hugs to all, SV

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited December 2010

Gee I wish I could join all you gals at the OBX.  I seriously thought about it but I'm at my sisters'  house looking after it and her animals while she's away.  May be if I start saving now I'll have enough to join you all next year....yay!  Have fun girls be good and if you can't be good, be careful....lol.

Love n hugs to all.  chrissyb

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2010

BarbaraA, if you want to take a vehicle on sand, you MUST let the tyres down to about 15-18psi.  I hope your car has some 4WD capability as a normal car might be too low and end up belly on the sand.  I live near the largest sand island in the world (Fraser) so, having camped there, I have seen the results of those who have tried to go where no man should travel.  My eldest son was there a couple of years ago when a 'soft roader' tried to tour the place and ended up bogged.  Being the helpful young fella that he is, he got behind to push it out of the hole it was in and ended up with the tops of his feet badly burnt.  Apparently, the vehicle had been sitting in the one spot for a while with the engine running and, when it started to move, he stepped barefoot into the hot spot created by the exhaust.  To top it off, he was there that day to be the official videographer at a friends wedding!

So..............be careful girls!............and have lots of fun for all of us.

Sheila.

• barbaraa
    edited December 2010

Sheila, OWIE!! That must have HURT! We will be careful. I didn't get to be 58 by doing really stupid stuff (only moderately stupid stuff). Getting ready to shower then check out of room then grab some breakfast then go get Amy and the fun begins! Had  great time with my friend Charlene last night at this really cool restaurant in Raleigh called Second Empire. Beautiful old house and we had rack of lamb and duck. Yum.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited December 2010

Barbara - what a nice picture! And rack of lamb and duck? Uh-huh, that's the way to do it! I agree about the moderately stupid stuff - it's just fun enough without getting into TOO much trouble. So you ladies keep it at moderately stupid this weekend, so there are no police involved!

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2010

I am SO excited-the gals are on the road and will be here in about 2 hours!! And somewho, even when I am moderately stupid, the police show up-but in a good way-tee hee. Got me hair cut today and facial and boofed up so ready for the arrival of all.  And Sheila, tha gals are under my wing and my family has three four wheel drives-from a Ford Excursion to my Merc mountaineer. No worries on the sand. If there are Larry just comes and hauls my butt out of anything!! Will get pix on the Board ASAP. Big Hugs, SV

• 3jaysmom
    edited December 2010
    SV  am waiting with baited breath to hear news. was pleasantly surprised to see you here..wish i was on my way, but am so glaimage border="1" alt="" title="http://onlinepersonaltrainingvideobootcamp.com/blog/10-reasons-why-i-hate-the-gym/" width="176" height="196" align="middle" />d they are!!   3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    edited December 2010
  • 3jaysmom
    edited December 2010
    image alt="" width="102" height="113" />
  • 3jaysmom
    edited December 2010
    sorry, trying to get a "waiting " picture on. google gives me fits, but im not trusting photobucket...3jays
  • Unknown
    edited December 2010

We  are HERE.  Drove and drove, but didnt affect me much since I was in the backseat and tend to doze.,  Arrived in Duck and finally got to meet Melissa face to face and then we went looking for the house and took some wrong turns, but are now here and even though I never use the word and hate it, it fits...the place is AWESOME.  There are tons of bedrooms and a movie theater and Melissa says it could house about 28 and I belive it. I will have Barb  post some pics. She and Amy were right there at the airport when I arrive and all is going smoothly and now we have to figure out what is for dinner...Two kitchens, but will probably go out tonight.  .  More have to come next time so we can fill these bedrooms up.  It is a wonderful place .....and the one bathroom has a bidet!!

• lwd
    lwd Member Posts: 234
    edited December 2010

Marybe,

Glad you are there.  Sounds wonderful.  A lot of house to wander around in!

Have a terrific time.  Hopefully there will be another retreat and more can join you.

HAVE A BALL!  Time to forget the bad stuff.

Lane

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited December 2010

Gals: Have a blast at the OBX. Hope to get there next  year.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Mandy

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited December 2010

hi girls

im sick still.sick with sinusitus,backache and the dr.chaised me out of the office.i was so rude.

im just not myself.in a way im glad i missed the reunion.you girls would not like me now.

my GD#2 told me to get a filter for my mouth.fresh she called me.

enjoy and have a drink for me.post a lot of pics.

hugggggggggggggs

K

• Elisimo
    edited December 2010

This place is AWESOME, each one of us has our own floor!  Large master bedrooms on each floor with huge bathrooms and sitting areas.  There is a huge theater room, 2 kitchens and several other large bedrooms and bathrooms.  I wish more of you could have made it.  I am so glad I came.

Well I am exhausted and we are just sitting around chatting and chillin.  Barbara is in the process of trying to upload some pictures.  Catch you all later.

Amy Jo 

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2013

WOW-I cannot tell you all how awesome this is!! I SO wish you all were here. I think everyone would be blown away-it's like we gals have known each other for years! WOO-WOO for the first reunion.

Barb, MB and Amy playing with the ton of gadgets she brought with her!! I don't even have a freaking cell phone!! Know that you are here in spirit and in our hearts and the house is a friggin mansion!! And me, Davey Crocket got everyone lost in 2 seconds-and I know where the house IS-thank the Lord for GPS. XXOO, SV

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited December 2010

I am soooooo jealous...sending hugs to all of you

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2010

Wonderful to see you all there so comfortable with eachother!  Thanks so much for including us via technology - I have been with you all the way so far, from Barbara's road trip and dinner with her friend to Mary's packing and flight to Amy's radiation and then being picked up by Barb and then meeting Melissa and now you are all together in an awesome house!!!! - I am enjoying the reunion greatly.  Have a wonderful weekend lovely ladies - I'm there with you in spirit.

• 3jaysmom
    edited December 2010
    yeah!! make sure to make mellissa get in those pics too.. it's good to see my girls together in a new  adventure. wish i could be there, next year, for sure...i, like Raeinzz, love these "virtual" vacations we do. im here, warm, nursing this pnemonia, and come on, and enjoy the trip thru you guys. i'll have to settle for for vicarious trips for a little longer.. less we make a warm one to Fla part of the tour this yr...   have fun, and a glass of wine, for me..       3jays
  • Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited December 2010

Oh, I am soooo jealous.

Have a good time....lots more pics please.

3jays WHAT are you doing up at this time !!

Isabella,

• barbaraa
    edited December 2010
  • Elisimo
    edited December 2010

Wish more of you could have come.  We have tons of room.  Next year we need to have at least 20 people come!  Today we have planned to go horse hunting to see if we can find some of the wild mustangs that live on the outer banks.  Maybe we will go kite shopping since it is supposed to get breezy tomorrow.  We will wait and see about that.  SV is here now.  She came in and we were all at out laptops and she has a box of donuts!  How funny is this picture. SV will post is later when she gets home.  She says we have too many gadgets.  She does not even have a cell phone.  We need to get her into the 21st century!

Hope every one has a joyous day.

Amy Jo 

• barbaraa
    edited December 2010

OK, there are 14 beds (some king, double, twin) and the two of the three living rooms have pull out doubles. The downstairs kitchen has foosball and air hockey for the competitive ones. The hottub is top floor and off my bedroom and has ocean and sound views.

We are heading out to beach drive and look for horses then have lunch in Corolla. More later.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited December 2010

WOW! You ladies are lookin' good! That looks like a par-tay house for sure! I stomp people at air hockey with my trick moves - we definitely need more people there next time!

Hope you get some pics of the wild horses today, but I guess that's probably hit-or-miss...

Are you going to go fishing? Whatever you do, try to be moderately good! Wink

3jays - you and I both have pneumonia. Great, huh? The cold weather here isn't doing me any good right now. It's so weird - a lot of times it's colder here in Atlanta than in NYC or even Idaho.