Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2010

Ginger & SV, thanks much for the photos! We were socked in with rain & clouds, so your views are certainly appreciated. 

Trying to psych myself up for a trip to town, which is never my favorite thing.  Still raining here but tomorrow will be worse. 

Looking forward to getting together with family this week, but not to the 4WD trip it takes to achieve.

Take care;  (( all )). 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited August 2013

Absolute blue bird skies here on the OBX but 25 degrees out in the day. Shingles have turned me into a vampire. Bright light is a freaking killer!! So last night was a real treat!! God I hope everyone has the best Xmas ever!

OH GINGER-REPOST YOUR SON'S PHOTO-THAT IS INCREDIBLE!! BUT I HAVE A FREAKING AD OVER IT TOO AND CANNOT SEE IT ALL.

Please take a minute and pray for a cure for cancer so we can be together in our rocking chairs at age 90-well GD you're almost there anyway-teehee!!

Pray for our lost sisters!

Pray for peace on earth! Among all men. Maybe if cancer ruled, war would end.

I love you all so very much and there ain't nutin you can do about it-even if we never agree and insult each other until we pass-love all of you but truly and honestly, i hope god doesn't put us that ain't cut from each other's cloth, on the same bus!!

Chrissy you gals down under tickle me pink!

CB, i know you are still pissed at me but i miss you!

SV

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2010

Where did everybody go?? Smooch-SV

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited December 2010

To the Supermarketand Christmas shopping.

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited December 2010

Gingerbrew - love the shot - I did not have ads all over mine.

SV - you know I love you my friend and wish you a merry Christmas.

Time for dinner and the family is calling me to the table.

Take care everyone and stay warm.

Amy Jo 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited December 2010

AmyJo, PLEASE put up the pic MaryBe took of you in our living room outside your bedroom. You look SO much better and happier!!!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone! This is a funny (and very skilled) remake of the song "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". They made this at a church in North Atlanta. Very entertaining spin on Santa! Be sure to watch if you love good fiddle-playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qKIFJWGXQ

Just got some stats on this video:

23rd most viewed in Australia
    34th most viewed in Canada
    31st most viewed in New Zealand
    and #6 most viewed overall today for non-profits! 

Love you SV!!! Hope you're feeling better today!

AmyJo - Barbara has me dying to see the new avatar! 

• barbaraa
    edited December 2010

Yes, AmyJo, PLEASE put that one up!!!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited December 2010

Oh, I missed the lunar eclipse. I knew it was upcoming, but being a bit busy forgot to check when I'd be able to see it. It was at 8.40am today, the moon is still quite visible at that time on a winter morning, as it has only been light an hour or so. SV those pictures are fab.

Thanks for thinking about me and my flippin' cattle. I have lost another one today, they look a little bit more settled tonight, but, never can tell. Apparently there are 204 strains of cattle pneumonia, so I think it is pretty hard to treat correctly. I was cursing my vet for his expensive drugs regime yesterday, and he rang me up this morning to see how things are going on....so that made me slightly less mad at his prices !!! he says if its any consolation there are quite a number of his farmers experiencing pneumonia....mainly due to the weather.

Suzie. I have tried those stick on heating pads while I am outside, but they are not much good. I sleep on an electric heated underblanket...have done for about 20 years, a real old softie I am !! I have it turned well up at the moment, the warmest spot in the house. I took pity on one of my little sausage dogs last week, she was feeling the cold, shivvering and looking at me all fed up with herself, so I took her to bed with me. She's the one who is much tinier than she should be, only about 5 lbs, she just never grew, she usually goes burrowing up under my sweater when I sit at my pc, and sleeps up there for hours, with her head poking out under my chin. I only let her up there when I am off for a shower, because sausage dogs have a bit of a peculiar smell, not nice like my other dogs !!! ( I won't let her up there if I am wearing my foobs, don't want peculiar smelling foobs !)  When she encountered my electric blanket she was pushing her way out for air after about an hour. Thats how warm I have my bed, shalln't be taking her up there again in a hurry, don't like the trip downstairs to put her back in the kitchen, in the dead of night.

My DD informed me today that she thinks her last years Christmas presents, 2 pigs...brother and sister, are PREGNANT...I will have to check it out on Christmas Day ( oh goody, some more nice smelly animals to touch when I will be in decent clothes!) I have been warning her about just such an eventuality all year, but as you know she NEVER listens to me. Each time she pulls another stunt I think 'nothing can upstage this' ....but it always does !! Just wish she would decide to become a nun. Her life has been one long party each weekend now since the beginning of December, and she has a whole lot more planned between now and New Year. Her works Christmas 'do' was this evening....I have 2yr old G/daughter, so no dogs in the bed tonight !....but boiled eggs in 'special' little egg cups and a cuddle for Grandma in the morning.

Night all.

Isabella.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2013

Isabella-you just have me cracking up (except for the cow). YOU have to write a 'Day in the life of Isabella's Farm" book-just string all of these posts together and ya got it!! Happiest of holidays dearest!! AND, IT WAS A TOUGH ONE BUT I GOTST' HER

Gals THIS is the real AmyJo and the only photo I could find where she did not have four gadgets in her hands and was looking at all of them!!!! All I got was forehead-but HA!!!! AJ is gorgeous and looks nothing like her 'cop shop mug shot' avatar. XXOO, SV

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2010

AmyJo, I love the picture SV posted! SV, thank you so much!

Isabella, so sorry another one of your cows died of pneumonia, the cold weather has been so harsh on God's littl creatures. How wonderful that you have your littl grandbaby to sniggle up with!

Barbara, are you any warmer now?  Hope the weather does not continue to be topsy-turvey for you. And don't talk to me about global warming, Mr. Gore!!!

suzie

• Elisimo
    edited December 2010

Suzie14 - thank you for the compliment.  I do not like to have my picture taken, never have.  I am trying to get better about that because my daughters keep complaining that there are no pictures of me.  

I am getting really tired so I think I am headed to bed.  It has been a long, busy 2 days.

Joy and blessings and a Merry Christmas to all. Amy Jo 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited December 2010

Well girls I'm spending way too much time on the pooter that I've now fallen behind with the Christmas Prep so I'm going MIA until I'm organised.  If I manage to get ahead of myself I'll be back before the great day if not, to each and every one of you, I wish a most Joyous Christmas and a Safe, Healthy and Happy New Year.

Peace, strength, love n hugs.   chrissy

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited December 2010

The photo came from my SIL face book posting. My screen shows only the moon, no advertising. I don't know what I could do differently. I will ask my husband when he gets home. He may have some idea about what to do.

Ginger

• heartnsoul76
    edited August 2013

Well, here's another Christmas video made last week by the same church. The kids are making music with their iPhones and iPads! I definitely think I could get my son to try out this church!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcexJQM-8W0

If you don't get caught up soon, chrissy, hope you have a Merry Christmas, too! 

• Gingerbrew
    edited December 2010
    lunar eclipse
  • heartnsoul76
    edited August 2013

Fortunately, I don't ever have to see ads - we have adblock, so I don't have a problem. It's not available with Internet Explorer, though.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited December 2010
    SV - its' officially winter solstice now.. officially winter my arse... the ladies here have been freezin since you guys had the reunion!!  your pictures of the eclipse are incredible!! thanks for sharing them " hot off the press" im glad you liked the pod.. i actually loved the pod person welcome better. but, a real pod, is a real pod.. right ladies?? im finally next to ready to clean up the liv. rm and called it christmas.. this will be the first in 5 yrs that ive not been sick for, SV; so i feel really bad for you. its miserable to be miserable for christmas.. its' so good to hear all your stories, ladies.. im hitting the sheets. sore back, from the decorating. the neuropathy makes everything twice as hard to do...3jays
  • barbaraa
    edited December 2010

Suz, we are still freezing but then I am a wuss. It will be 70 today, not too bad but still sweater and socks weather. Supposed to rain Christmas day then Sunday high of only 58. Brrrr. SV great pic of AJ. MaryBe has a real nice one of her also.

Here's another nice one of AJ and MB.

• Gingerbrew
    edited December 2010
    High of 70, low of 58, that's summer here in Washington! Cool
  • Elisimo
    edited August 2013

OK Enough already!  What is the deal about my pictures? Everyone knows what I look like now so please stop the discussion about my pictures.  It is making me very uncomfortable.  Anyone that wants to see all the pictures of the OBX trip can see them on my FB photo album.

It looks like we will be getting snow for Christmas here in Raleigh, NC.  It has been a long time since we have had a white Christmas.  I hope the weather people are right about this.  I am enjoying my #1DD and her family being here.  I miss my #2DD and her family, but maybe next year they will be able to come.  Hopefully #1DD and her family will be moving back to the east coast this time next year when Marc, #1SIL, graduates from the Masters degree program the Army is sending him to now.  CA is too far away from family so they are looking forward to being stationed back on the east coast.  

I am off to do the last of my Christmas shopping. DH is taking me around since #1DD and her crew have borrowed my van to go visit friends in Sanford for the day.  I get a day of quite before the high energy grandchildren and all their laughter bounces around the house again.

Hope everyone has a joyous Christmas with family and friends, even if all the decorations are not all put up this year.

Joy and blessings, Amy Jo 

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2010

Dearest AmyJo, i know how it feels to hate your pictures-but you are beautiful and i want you to know that-then i thought cr#p, she might be in the witness protection program or something!!! Anyway love you and no more pix-should have asked you first-we have so much taken from us from cancer and control of the most minor things in our lives is sometimes so very important. Just love ya lots. And i had to pass this pix on....

This is a piece of David's Christmas work!!! Clearly, this boy has too much time on his hands! Blessings to all, SV

• barbaraa
    edited December 2010

SV That is ADORABLE!!!!! 

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2010

OK, I went and bought all of my photo printing supplies at staples today-SO anyone who wants a professionally done, matted photo 8x10 from the OBX, PM me with your name and mailing address-like for real-this is everybody's Xmas present from me for 2010!! But like really late presents-tell me what your hankering is-historic pix; wild horsey pix, 2010 BC retreat pix; birdie (wild swans) pix; and/or lighthouses!!! These will be archival and professional grade so all ya gots to do is to get them in a frame you like!! Swans FINALLY CAME IN TODAY and it was just gorgeous to look over the sound covered in ice and white swans!!!! This offer is for all of me gals down under too-Alyson, Chrissy, etc, Happy Holidays-SV

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited December 2010

SV, that is very very cool...wow

I sent you a PM

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited December 2010

Ginger, lovely moon shot...I got it crystal clear, no adverts at all.

SV, lovely doggy nativity, if only I could get my dogs to sit still like that...all at one time.

Amy Jo I am like you. I just hate to have my pic taken, even at weddings I will rush to the back, then start rummaging in my bag on purpose.....and up goes my hand if I see a camera anywhere near me.

Barbara, just mis-read your post....thought you said 'I will be 70', not 'IT will be 70' hehee.

Just been chillin with my G/daughter today, though I was lucky not to be locked up, sure would have been if Social Services had turned up on me. I shut GD in a dog kennel run, about 8'x12' while I was working..I dare not let her near big animals, tho' her mother does, I had to keep her safe, and contained, and where I could see her, so put her in with a bucket and spade, and lots of snow, and she was quite ok 'til I was finished....was dreading even the postman seeing her locked in !!! we just kept waving and shouting to one another.

Very cold here today -7 outside thru' the day, but with plenty of warm clothes on not too bad....lots of soup was on the lunch menu. DD never made it to fetch GD this morning, she had a good time last night (as ever!) by all accounts, so I offered to keep GD for tonight....I jump at the chance to get her to myself. She was wacked tonight, being outside for most of the day, and in the end was laid out in the dog bed in front of the fire, with 2 sausage dogs, fast asleep. I always used to give my kids an afternoon 'nap' 'til they were about 3, I think, but they don't do that nowadays....'old fashioned' I am told !!! Old fashioned my eye, I used to do it more for my own sanity than anything else, to give me some kid free time, I used to fly to my sewing machine when all was quiet for an hour, always making myself and my kids clothes in those days.

Took GD to local shops this afternoon to get my Christmas flowers...I do like flowers and plants. I am not putting up decorations, but flowers will be all over the place. I got 3 bunches of the semi-hard stemmed 'Cape' flowers, from South Africa. I suppose they are wild flowers to the South Africans, they are lovely and will go into a sort of dried state, and not drop for weeks. I just give them an initial vase of water, then leave them to dry out...I bet it will be March before I need to throw them out. I also got 2 big poinsettias and a big bunch of lilies, plus 2 small Christmas Cactus. I bought some pots of hyacinths a month ago, and have got them to just about flowering, one pot is already out, and the perfume is lovely thru' the house. DH was always coughing and sneezing when I put plants out...but I still put them out !!.... so this year I can have as many as I like and not feel guilty, not that I did before !! He only ever used to do exaggerated coughing and nose blowing (just like an elephant) when we were here alone, NEVER when anyone else was in the house, even if someone stayed all day, he never made so much as a sniffle, but before they hardly got in their car he was off, loudly coughing and moaning away about flowers upsetting him....as it was only fair weather coughing I used to walk away on his moans.

I have to put up with his company on Christmas Day, not looking forwards to this, but then don't like to think of him alone. None of his relatives have asked him to their houses for his dinner. How I shall keep myself from swatting him I do not know ! I have warned DD to get SIL to take him off for an afternoon walk, to go and look at the horses and pigs, anything, so I do not have to spend the whole of the time I have at DDs doing too much talking with DH. I'm looking forwards to playing with my GD, and all her new toys, and see what my G/sons have got for Christmas.

Wow, its got to 1am....Christmas Eve tomorrow....it doesn't seem so long since last Christmas Eve. Is it me or DOES time seem to go quicker when we get older?

Isabella.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited December 2010

SV---did you know you are supposed to stay in bed and rest rest and more rest with the shingles.I had them in my eyes many years ago,they were talking cornea transplant.it is very very catching.i was in quarent.in the hospital.the nurses didnt want to come in my room.its very serious and you my dear sister are running around.your playin with fire.your immune system is down.thats when the virus is activated.it can happen over and over again.The vacine is a must for anyone who has any kind of cancer.be good to yourself.

well hello everyone else.....Merry Christmas to all my sistas.I dont know if ill be back on again.Did tx #6 of the rads.not bad at all.just wish my back would stop killin me

God bless all of you.huggggggggggs

k

• Unknown
    edited August 2013

I got the shingles vaccine as soon as it came out after hearing stories from patients as well as two friends about how horrible they were...my ins would not pay for it since I was not yet 60 (about as stupid as saying you don't need mammograms until you are 50), but I felt it worth the price and it must have worked because I have never had them.  Knock on wood. 

I hate that pic of me looking dumpy.  I think I must start sitting tall and when I stand shouldn't slump, but it feels good. My back is still killing me....keep telling myself if I can just get through Xmas, I can rest.  I remember my mother poking me between the shoulder blades and saying don't slouch.  Today I was thinking how sometimes I look in the mirror and think maybe I don't look so bad, but other days I think I sure would look a heck of a lot better if I hadn't had chemo...but then again, I probably wouldn't be alive if I hadn't.  Anyway, it's just a petty gripe I suppose, but I hate losing elasticity.  However, vanity I suppose is all part of being a woman.  I love reading Nora Ephron's books because she tells it how it is and it "ain't easy".   

So today was my onco appt when I was going to start on the new chemo, Gemzar.  I asked my onco a lot of questions and he said he did not forsee me having any problems with it, but at the same time could not guarantee how it would affect me and could not give me a guarantee it would not make me nauseous or tired so if I wanted to put it off a week that would be fine.  Also he is switching me over to whatever new thing they have come out with for the bones which he said is better than zometa.  I will get the gemzar every other week and we aren't going to start it until next week.  Yippeyeoh....that made my day.  Plus when I stuck out my hand to shake his before I left and said Merry Xmas Dr. Cody, he gave me a hug.  The onco everyone says is cold and distant gave me a hug!!  But I never did feel that way about him and have always talked to him just like I would anyone else so maybe I have forced him to open up and other people don't do that, just think he is a cold fish.  I gave him a Christmas card along with some more antique fountain pens since he collects them. They are getting harder an harder to find so I always have my friends on the lookout for them...my friend gave me one that was her mother's and Daddy came up with two when he was cleaning out drawers....anyway on this card I said one day he would look at his pen collection and think a Stage lV patient I had who lived for a long long time gave me a lot of these and then I added Thank you for the long long time.  I do attribute him to keeping me alive because I and all my friends know if I had stayed with that first onco and followed her advice I would be six feet under.  So since I didn't have treatment I just went back to the treatment room, told the nurses Merry Xmas, passed out the salsa recipe since they all wanted it and went on my merry way and shopped til it was time to go to work where they had a birthday cake and pizza for me.  So it was a good day and if my back didn't hurt I would say it had been a great day.  I really did not want to start a new chemo three days before Xmas.  New Years I am doing nothing so next week will be fine to begin.

Well, I am still plugging away trying to get this tree finished.  I never thought I would say it, but I have way too many ornaments.  If Hope keeps chewing them up, I will have less.  I wish I could post my Xmas card....can you do it Barb...or SV since it is on facebook.  It's got all the pets.  I have made a decision, after I get this tree finished, it is staying up.  My friends used to joke and say WHy didn't I keep it up all year since often it is up til Feb.  Well with the way time goes so fast, why not.  My friend Kathy has had hers up for three years so I guess I can also....seems like I never have much company anyway these days and that is because I think the place smells like dog pee thanks to Tim's dog, Brattie and also I seem to never be able to make myself clean house these days.  Maybe I will clean after the lst of the year, but I think the tree is just going to stay up.

Now I must go make Chex mix for my father since that is something I always make for him for Xmas.  The cookies are going to have to wait until after the holiday because I just can't get it all done.  Hope the rest of you are doing better than I am at keeping up.  Your idea of decorating with flowers sounds lovely Isabella...you have given new meaning to the term chillin'....I can just see your GD in the snow locked in the kennel.   SV, what a beautiful offer on your part, but you keep the one that would be mine and sell it in that gallery and do something nice for yourself with the money.  Barb, DId you get back to that shop to buy those dresses.  I am going to take a pic of the flowers and put them on FB...they were really beautiful and so sweet of you. Granny...6 down!...you go girl.  The rest of you...I am thinking of you, but can't recall what you wrote and am afraid to go back a page for fear of losing my post.  Not that it would be any great loss, but it would ruin the good day. 

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited December 2010

With my fried liver, I can't get the shingles vaccine...I have been

so worried about that now since the vaccine came out...

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2010

SV, I love david's Christmas work! How did he get all those dogs to pose long enough for a photo? Are any of those your puppies? Your offer is so generous! Thank you!

AmyJo, I'm like you when it comes to having my picture taken! I am not photogenic in the least! How did the last of the Christmas schopping go?  Hope you found everything you were looking for. If I feel well enough will go out and do some more of my schopping and if I'm lucky, I may get it all done....wish me luck!

Oh, Barbara, do find everything possible to keep you warm, there is nothing worse than being cold in my estimation.

Gingerbrew, thank you so much for re-posting the eclipse! I put it on my puter...thank you again.

3jays, so glad you are feeling so much better this year, may you enjoy yourself like no other Christmas...you have earned it!

chrissy, don't stay MIA for too long, you will be missed and  you know how hard it is to catch up on our Pod!

HeartNsoul, I love the videos, they are so upbeat and easy to get into. Thanx for sharing.

Went to my speech appt and got a work out, who would of thought re-training the brain would be so tiring. After I went to work and got a couple of things accomplished but had to leave before we went for our Christmas party...I just couldn't keep going another 4 hours and then to drive home another hour. Took about a 3 hour nap and woke up feeling un-settled for some reason.

Great news, my brother, his girlfriend and my daughter and SIL will be bringing Christmas dinner to us, all I have to do is to put the ham in the oven! Talk about a wonderful Christmas gift!!! I never realized that I was stressing about pulling things together til after bro's g-friend called with her offer!.

gentle hugs ~ suzie