Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited January 2011
    hey guys, i'm trying out my new laptop..she's a beauty!!i've used the other one so long, will be able to travel, and take you with me!! the pictures are beautiful, as usual. hope you'll thaw out for a bit, issabella..            3jays
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2011

Morning gals and lisa-WOW! 3jays happiest new year ever and the laptop works great! My body is 'seized up' after chasing birdies yesterday-I need coffee-Angus blew his knee out-ouch-that is a $1200 operation and who is going to take my Xmas tree down???? Big smoosy kisses to all-coffee-I need coffee! Dreary day today with lots of cloud cover-thanks God for yesterday and perfect sunlight!! SV

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited January 2011

Thanks for the rose Chrissy...

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited January 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY SISTAS/FRIENDS/TRYIN TO CATCH UP...IMPOSSIBLE.WISHING EVERYONE NED FOREVER.GOD BLESS

HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS K

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited January 2011

Hey Gals,

Happy 2011. I wrote a check today and had to write the new year for the first time. Man, that brings it close. I've been lurking, reading, trying to keep up but you are a prolific bunch. I've been "keeper of the mascot" sorta, by reprinting the wonderfully written description of ourselves, this thread of us, so as the new year begins I will post it once more. Mostly because it's a beauty in words and secondly because I like it.

WE ARE A POD. Individual, original, unique PODs.

I'll be right back, gotta look it up and afraid I'll lose this before I post it. you KNOW I would. BRB.

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited January 2011

PODS DEFINED.....

POD-means like a POD of whales-forever joined thru generations, time, eternity and great wisdom, shaped by the same fierce forces, streamlined by the eons, speaking the same language, working for the same purpose, stronger than the all of the oceans, birthing, maternal, teaching one another the songs of the seas, protecting, playing, eternal in celebrating each other and living in perfect concert for the life, death, and pure joy of the POD.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited January 2011

Lovely. Thank you

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited January 2011

Connie and Ginger - we are POD!!!

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2011

SV: I just googled it  and the tundra swans are the same big white birds I thought might be snow geese - they stop in our Sac. Valley rice fields every year; and were there when I went down to last docs last month.  Then you started talking about them & got the pix... THANK YOU.  I'll be sure to share with DH; we have wondered what they were for sure, and I never bothered to look it up until you took the pix & I was thinking boy those sure look like the rice-field migrators....  In the rice fields are many various species of birds and it's interesting to see how the 'birds of a feather works'...

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2011

Very depressed today. Feel like I went through the the fun house and never came out. This is just crap. I don't like it. I know I can't conquer everything, but dammit I have tried my entire life to do just that. But it has always been for those that I love. Not me. I can't stop crying. I just broke down and took an ativan but it really is not helping. Ack. This is not how I want to start the new year. I feel like an idiot breaking down like this when there are so many of you facing and undergoing much more at this time and for that I apologize. I just don't know where else to "admit" this. You see, I am so "strong" everyone thinks I am fine. And I am not.

I know it will pass but right now it just hurts. Sorry to be a downer. Thanks for "listening"

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited January 2011
    depression is not a sign of weakness its a sign that we have been strong for too long.this bc sure does suk.
  • chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2011

annette, I know what you mean.  So far most of my SE's have been minor compared to so many that I feel very foolish when the fear and/or depression hits.  Every one around me seems to think that now that the lump is gone and radiation is over I'm "cured, a survivor" and should have no more problems once I get over the fatigue that came with the rads.  So we suppress it until it overwhelms us--and then we come here where there are so very many who understand.

• annettek
    edited January 2011

thanks for the kind words. And if I see one more thing pink I will scream>>>>>>>

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

Annette,   I really like what Granny wrote.  Maybe it's just the time of year or something, but I decided that after how bitchy I was being today and how everyone was just making me want to scream that maybe I should go find a nice little cave for myself to crawl into.  I myself think crying is good and wish I did it more often.  Have a good cry, put some cucumbers or a wet rag on your eyes and have a good sleep.....sleep always helps.  You aren't being a downer, just being human. 

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited January 2011

Annette, you're not a downer. You are going through the trials that go with BC, and yes it sucks. I call it post traumatic stress reaction. My doc, at my urging put me on an anti-depressant and it has helped to some degree. Cry when you need to cry and come here to pour you heart out.

gentle hugs ~ suzie

• annettek
    edited January 2011

you guys are so cool. thank you more than you know.

• flyingdutchess
    flyingdutchess Member Posts: 107
    edited January 2011

Annette, Not only do I hear you with the depression.  We all go through it and except for venting there is not too much we can do.  My favorite color used to be pink.  Now I can't stand the sea of pink ribbons.  A few months ago a friend told me (she was trying to be nice) that she had paid to have my name painted on a pink school bus she saw at a rest stop.  The bus was touring the country to raise BC awareness.  I am all too aware and when I see pink I now think of nausea, diarrhea and pepto bismol.  We should start an anti-pink club.

Kat

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2011

Annette, you can come and have a good cry here any time you want.  That's what this site is all about....having somewhere safe where we can say exactly how we feel at any given time and there is always someone who is or has felt exactly the same way.  (((((((hugs))))) to you.  You are very normal and so are your feelings.

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2011

Annette, ALL of us understand what you're feeling more than we'd want to!  I retired a couple of years ago to care for my dad and my aunt and both of them died last year, the year I got BC. Thought I was doing pretty well but just lost it at the Christmas Eve service at our church, especially when our daughter sang "Oh Holy Night". Similar to the way I lost it at our Belk dept store in October when I felt like I was drowning in a sea of pink ribbons.And I'd gone in there to get a non-underwire bra to wear during radiation!

Like you, I've always been in control of things in life and able to handle them, move from Plan A to Plan B, etc, but this beast handed me  something I can't be in control of and then sat back and laughed!  This wasn't in any plan at all, and I don't think anyone can really understand if they  haven't dealt with it themselves.  So, Annette, we understand, and you can just lay it on us---we're all here to support each other and to get support as well.  {{{Hugs}}},

Kathy

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2011

Annette, are you seeing anyone for the depression. I have it and am seeing a paych and a therapist-this is a hug deal and ditto what GD wrote. It is very impotant to keeptheraputic levels of drugs in our system-which means taking them regularly and not when we are circling the drain.I find that journaling helps me to dump a lot-but again, you are going thru a huge deal and unfortunately depression is a part of it-but for me. it need to be treated appropriately. sending big hugs!!!!!! SV

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011

ohh, Anette, i think you hit a nerve with more than a few of us. I, for one, am in a very dark place right now. Part of it is me, I know. ican't stand a "crybaby" but once i get going, i can't stop anymore. I try to remember that THIS also, is part of the bc journey. we're trying to survive our surgeries, or radiation, or poison we've done.. then, at least for me, add the insult of taking all the estrogen( well, still got the belly fat estro but not enuff)out of me; and its' like getting slammed into a wall going 50!! add that to I can't take antidepressants, im so sensitive to drugs.. it's dark dark days here right now.

here's a trick i've learned here, from these wonerful, loving, compassionate ladies.. if we hold each others' hand in the dark.... we're still in the dark; BUT WE"RE NOT ALONE.. and for me, thats' way less scary.. so, please hold hands with me; and we'll all get through this time..

oh, yeah, and if you can get some antideppresants.. lol but seriously...     3jays

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011
    i guess im just bushed, emotionally; but thank youe CONNIE i really do bfeel like we are a POID here. and your'e description, as well as def. is getting put in my journal so i can go back to the page, and remind myself when i feel so alone, I AM a meber of this pod, now...         3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011
    Sperm Whales - Odyssey Voyage
  • 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011
    there WE ARE!!i'm in the midle.. right where i need to be!!   3jays
  • barbaraa
    edited January 2011

Oh Annette, 3 jays is right. All BC sisters have PTSD to a degree. I had it so bad last summer, I could only sleep 2-3 hours every 3-4 days. I started seeing a shirink and she taught me autogenics/self hypnosis. I went once a week for 2 months (and started sleeping again) then I took a group class on autogenics in November and lo and behold...the diarrhea I had had since pre-BC has cleared up!

I don't know what would work for you but this really works for me.

((((HUGS))))))) to all my PTSD sisters.

• annettek
    edited January 2011

Good morning to all of you wonderful women. I made it through the night! I am all ready to go to the office but I decided to hop on here first. What a beautiful flow of caring to be greeted with...it is not normal for me to reach out but so glad to have. It is amazing when you think about it. A roll call from around the globe of hope and light. If the dark persists, I will go for help. I;m so sensitive to medication it most likely will have tobe something along the lines of what Barbara A mentioned. I am going to acupunturist again for the smoking later this week (ok- probably, next week!-These sticks have been my crutch for a very long time) and will check in with him on what he has to offer. He's a wonderful mysterious man who knew I would be back when I was ready....

peace out everybody (that is the first time in my life I have ever wrote that. it truly fits-~~~~~

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

And you are going to be giving up smoking while going through this!....that is a tough one also and you can talk to Barb about that also.  I quit the 2nd time I got BC....not the lst because I wasn't ready.  When I found out the 2nd time and went to this other onco, the one I am with now, I asked Is it because I kept smoking and he said No, it isn't,  But you are just asking for another problem by not quitting.   Made sense to me and I did not want another problem so I quit and did it cold turkey, but was only able to do it becasue I wanted to and was ready.  Quit many times before that with no success.  Good luck to you on all counts.  I myself think working helps...it is therapy for me, gets me out with people who don't even know I have BC and I just find it is good for me to have something to keep me busy.  Have a good day, Annette.  Are you outside of Houston? 

• flyingdutchess
    flyingdutchess Member Posts: 107
    edited January 2011

What is autogenics?

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2011

Annette, I'm in a quitting mode too.  This time I believe I'm ready.  The BC is only my trigger point.  The real reason is COPD from too many years of smoking--nearly 50--and too many bouts with pneumonia.  I have two packs of cigarettes and a box of patches. 

• barbaraa
    edited January 2011

Autogenics defined. It really works for me.

Autogenic training is a relaxation technique developed by the German psychiatrist Johannes Heinrich Schultz and first published in 1932. The technique involves the daily practice of sessions that last around 15 minutes, usually in the morning, at lunch time, and in the evening. During each session, the practitioner will repeat a set of visualisations that induce a state of relaxation. Each session can be practiced in a position chosen amongst a set of recommended postures (for example, lying down, sitting meditation, sitting like a rag doll). The technique can be used to alleviate many stress-induced psychosomatic disorders