Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited March 2011

My we are quiet today!  Lisa, just saw the yellow picture (it didn't show up for me last night) and it's so lovely.  That's my absolute favorite flower, so thanks for posting it!

Suzq, I've been on arimidex since Dec. 15, and while I haven't had any hand problems, I've noticed hip problems--especially when getting up in the morning and after sitting for a while.  DD asked me the other day if I was limping and I realized I was.  Also I've had some sleep problems, in that no matter how tired I am, when I lie down at night I can't stop thinking, worrying, etc.  Fortunately I'm free to sleep later if I can because I'm retired now.  

Alyson, I hope the LE  in your chest will get better soon and they'll be able to help you out.  Liked your comments about retirement.  I also retired earlier than I wanted to but hadn't been diagnosed then.  I had to take charge of caring for my father and my aunt, but retirement also enabled my DH and me to provide care for our GS from 2 months old to 16 months old while his parents worked. Now that was a pure joy!

Dragon, glad you chose the MRI rather than watching.  Far better to know (and it's probably nothing) than to worry needlessly.  Re the dog being the ideal DH, well, in my particular dog's case, he's not!  My DH smells a lot better than our dog Bud, and he's not a bed hog like Bud is! Gotta love him though.

Hey HnS--I'm gearing up to watch the Carolina/Duke game on Saturday and either way it goes, it'll be bad at my house.  DH is die-hard Duke and I'm die-hard Carolina.  Told DH tonight that this time his team will be playing at Carolina's house, the Dean Dome, so he better watch out, and he just smiled.  I fear I'm gonna eat those words, too.

Kathy

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2011

Ladies, I truly had to take a very hard look at some of the rants I went on in posts the past few days and i decided to delete them. The posts were written when I was on Benedryl and prednizone (never taken Benedryl before) and man, in looking back with a bit of a clearer head, I do not think I was in the right frame of mind to truly due justice to this thread and the women on it. You all are my heros and I mean that. I just feel (at this time) that you all and this thread deserved more from me than what I gave and certainly in how I expressed myself. I feel I fell far short of the point I had meant to make and did a great disservice to all, including myself. Very honestly, the issues I wrote about (people, places and things) over which I have no control...truly are NOT important. I mean they are, but i feel I crossed a boundary in trying to 'defend' myself over something that does not matter. The true issue for me is in the sharing of experience, strength and hope in recovery from BC, and I hope not in giving lip service to such morbid and mistaken gossip. I am still coming off prednizone and just not in the right frame of mind to express myself in the way that you all deserve. And (to add a light note) I am just listening to 20/20 and the interview with C. Sheen and he started talking about the 'trolls' in his life and it just cracked me up. ARRGH, so i am so sorry because their are so many important causes to champion that are postive-too many to focus on negative issues. I am a bit wonky too bec i was in a minor car wreck today too-Sometimes God has to use a 2x4 on me to get my attention and get me to focus on the blessings in my life! A new rear tire split open when I was traveling at 55 mph from Nagshead with dogs and photo equipment in the back of my SUV-suddenly, everything was in the front of the car including my poor Angus who just had leg surgery. But truly, I did not feel the tire blow and did not know what had happened. The amazing blessing was that I was 'boxed in' in a safe way by two guys in pickups and 'led off the highway.' It was like angels just dropped out of the sky-the guys were so sweet. They stayed to check everything on the car and changed the tire....I did not even know where the spare tire was or if i had one. They just did everything to check me and my doggie posse back on the road and headed home. I was belted in but my BC side got it with the shoulder strap but it could have been SO very much worse and i am so grateful!! We are all home and safe and will see docs and vets tomorrow to check everyone out. So enuf from me tonight-I have PM'd several of you in rereading posts that I had missed, including Susgal-I am SO sorry for the SE's and pain you are having. I was just so focused on my little rut!!!! Love you all very much, SV And yeah, the five post ban has been lifted by the moderators in my case!!! And i have to post this......it was a long day!!!!

I know i am ill but i could not stay in the house one more day-given that i now need new tires, this was a really EXPENSIVE photo ;o}}}}} But i just had to put it out there. This is one p.o.' d GBH and given the fact that it was 40 degrees outside with 50 knot winds-i even bailed after a few shots!! Love you all, SV

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2011

Another saga about the neighboring neighborhood. There were a couple of young guys fishing in our pond, which is clearly posted No Fishing,  I was out on the back porch and asked them is they could read and they asked what did I mean and I told them the sign beside you says No Fishing. They said they were leaving and it took them about 5 minutes to gather up their stuff and leave, they headed for the neighboring neighborhood talking about me calling the police which in hindsight I probably should have done as they were trespassing on private property. They were saying that by the time the police got there they would be gone, which is why I did not call the police.  Anyway tonight after we got back from dinner out, the police were at our door saying that there had been an accusation that someone had shot a pellet gun at them from the upper window of our house at 5:00 p.m. and that it was my husband that had done the shooting.  We do not own a pellet gun or any gun for that matter and my husband was not even home at 5:00 pm. He does not usually get home until almost 5:30 and today he got home about 5:15.  Upshot is that now I cannot let the dog go outside by herself, I have to keep the remote panic button and my phone with me when I go outside with the dog or for any reason and I have to be very aware of who is around the pond, our house or neighbors houses, and I cannot open the front door without asking who is there and looking out the window. I also have to keep the house alarm on when I am inside by myself.  Like I  needed all of this.  DH says he just wants me to be safe and that people that would call the police and make up a story like that will do anything.  The police also said that we should take extra precautions and be careful and watchful. I have had enough of all of this and I am ready to move to the middle of nowhere so I can be left alone and do not have to worry about what other people are doing. 

Sorry for the rant, but I am tired of the antics of the kids from that neighborhood and the problems they cause by not folllowing the law and staying off posted private property.  I have completed #11 of 30 rads and I am doing well except for the fatigue. The emu oil, calendula cream and Miaderm cream are doing a great job at keeping my skin in good shape.  I am not burning and there is no redness, just some wierd tender feeling under my implants. Will have to ask RO about that tomorrow.

Well it is getting late and I need to get some rest.  Hope everyone has a restful evening.  Amy Jo 

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2011

SV, you certainly have had your share of stuff going on lately...so glad there was someone to help you out with your car...sometimes our meds can fool with our heads..I don't remember what you took out..I just hope you are feeling better soon.

About arimidex and AIs Side effects...I took tamoxifen for one year and then armidex for four years.,I did had lots and lots of aches and pains on the arimidex. I saw somewhere they have found it is actually the inflamation of the fluid around the tendons or something like that..all I know is I hurt. I couldn't take

NSAIDs due to my liver having been fried on the chemo I had so I had to stick to tylenol but only 2 grams a day with an occasional vicodin. I snuck in a little voltaren gel on my aches when I  could.

I think it may be worth a try to change to another one or take a little break.but what do I know. I just

do know I was happy to finish off the five years.and that it was probably worth it.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited March 2011

hey ladies, my air conditioner took a dump tonite, so im writing you on my little xmas present in a very nice hotel, with free internet.. WEIRD... 3 yrs ago, i wouldn't stay in a hotel, unless they had a hot tub! since le makes that NOT a worry anymore, im not allowed! i now, worry about email and bc.org!! i cant do a day without my older ladies thread.. do i need to go to older ladies anonymous?? hmmm.

ok, thank you to all the ladies who are indenting there posts once inawhile. truly it make sit easier to read..!

im glad, DRAGONFLY, you're going for thee mri. better to know, than worry..and AMYJO, its' a drag, but be safe. we live in an over 55; and the grandmas and pas keep track of their grandchildren. sorry you having so much hassle.. but, be careful. someone has a screw loose!! night, at least for now!       3jays

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011

Oh My Lord AmyJo....I just cannot believe the nerve of some people!! I'd file a trespasing complaint if you know who they are to alert the cops-at least to try to get them to help watch your house-oh, then again, this is NC!! HUGS, SV

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited March 2011

I finished 24 out of 36 rads. 2/3 dome. I have 2 more regular and then 10 boosts. One was added because I missed too many rads. Doc did say I may have avoided a second degree burn because I missed. That is not a good reason to miss rads.

I played for with DGD for a few hours today. She is 6 1/2 months now and is so much fun. When we sing Baa Baa Black Sheep she says Baa Baa in between verses. She is also saying wool when we sing, and more than once, so it isn't an coincidental.  She is now practicing all of her sounds in full voice and in whispers. I am SO happy to be here to experience this with our daughter.

SV so sorry to hear about your blowout on the road.  I am glad you and your dogs were not hurt. Your post that you deleted, I had read it and it took me awhile too, did speak to me. I understood your intent and it moved me to some introspection. I just wanted you to know that. Love your photos SV, Great Blue Herons lived in our creek in the summer in Illinois and it is exciting to see a close up of one who looks so annoyed!

AmyJo, it sounds like there are some vindictive people involved who are sophisticated enough to make that call and that accusation to the police. Yikes. Is the pond on your own property?  Is it high density housing that butts up against yours? I understand how you are feeling unsafe now and think it is a shame. 

Our last Illinois house had a big alarm system. I hated arming it when my husband was gone because it reminded that I felt unsafe. I grew up in the city of Chicago and we didn't even lock the doors many nights much less in the day. Now I live out in a beautiful area in WA. I can't even see a neighbor from here and I lock the doors every time one in opened and closed. Is the world that much more unsafe or is our perception. 

Isabella, just today I read my daughter several paragraphs of your posts. She used to read scripts for a living for a major Hollywood producer. She said you should write a book, that your stories contain nuance that a script can't convey. She said after you get published then work with a script writer to convert the stories to a screenplay.  She was dead on serious. I could see your stories converted to a TV series that would draw a multi generation audience. There isn't anything like this out there just now so there is a niche waiting for you. :)

Hugs Ginger

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited March 2011

I have finally figured out why I can't lose this extra weight. The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says, "for extra volume and body." I'm going to start using Dawn dish washing soap. It says, "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove"!!!

Ginger

Borrowed from a friend. 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited March 2011

SV I am so glad you and the boys are safe! I never had a blowout. Plenty of flats but not at high speed. Wow! And AmyJo, that so sucks to feel like a prisoner in your own home. I should come up there with my shotgun and protect you. (Hate guns..just kidding). Cathy, hugs, gal. Lisa, loved that flower! 3jays, hope you can get some sleep in the hotel. I don't sleep well in hotels.

Off to Pompano Beach for the day, gotta head for the airport in 30 min. Ugh this is early.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

Oh SV!!!  I am so glad that you and the fur babies are okay.  You did definitely have a couple of guardian angels with you ion that road.  This just prooves that you are meant to be around a whole lot longer yet!!!  Love the shot of the Heron, but he really looks pussed off!

Wow Amyjo,  what rotten little so and so's.  What sort of person is raising little horrors like that?  I can't believe they are allowed to get away with such behaviour at your expense!

3jays, I emailed you.  Yes, I'm way excited too!  Hope you slept well!

Barb, I can't believe you're off somewhere again!  Do you ever stay home for any length of time? ....lol

Ginger, I think I may need to swap shampoos too.  ROTFLOL when I read your post!

Oh Alyson, I do hope that the quake is not going to have a lasting psycological effect on your GD.  We sometimes dismiss the young children as being too young to understand what is happening but I think they understand a whole lot more than we give them credit for.

Kathy, Lisa, Chubba and Dragonfly, hugs to you all.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2011

SV, I'm so glad you and the fur babies are okay.  Love that pic.

Amyjo,  Those kids probably lied to their parents and they think thier little darling monsters have been wronged. 

Ginger, I knew their was a reason I couldn't lose all this fat, thanks for explaining it. LOL

Love to all.  Birdbrain Darla

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

ooooo Darla, my bad, hugs to you girl!!!!  I didn't mean to forget you you know.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2011

amy, we must have posted at the same time yesterday..wow what

a trial you have. so sorry to hear that

Ginger..that is too funny, I will have to look at my shampoo

3Jays..I am with you, I find it too hard to read posts that are long and

streaming..indenting or skipping a line are  not overrated and make it

so much easier to read..I have old eyes..

Hugs, all around...

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2011

Hi Ladies.......A friend of mine sent this to me, and I thought it one of the most beautfiul and so appropriate for our situation. Heavenly Father.

I call on You right now in a special way.  It is through Your power that I was created.  Every breath I take every morning I wake, and every moment of every hour, I live under Your power.

Father, I ask You now to touch me with that same power.  For if You created me from nothing, You can certainly recreate me.  Fill me with the healing power of Your spirit.  Cast out anything that should not be in me.  mend what is broken.  Root out any unproductive cells.  Open any blocked arteries, or veins, and rebuild any damaged areas.  Remove all inflammation and cleanse any infection.

Let the warmth of Your healing love pass through my body to make new any unhealthy areas, so that my body will function the way You created it to function.

And Father, restore me to full health in mind and body so that I may serve You the rest of my life.

I ask this through Christ our Lord............Amen.............. 

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited March 2011

Amen.

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2011

SoCalLisa, Oh those flowers are so beautiful--wish our spring would arrive here in Oregon.  Crocuses and some daffs are up but not much else.

Going to the coast this weekend to eat and sew with my dau. and her friend.  Her friend is Fijiian and cooks yummy Thai and island food.  I'm planning to OD on coconut and curry.  Leaving dog with DH, though.  He needs somebody to take care of him.  XOXO to all. Dragon

• 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011

have a great weekend, Darla. eat, pray, love ... lol SV what would everyone do if all the crap we go thru had to go theier way? Mur and i joke that there's 2 ple in france worry free, 'cause we absorb their bad karma!!!im glad you and the boys are ok, and the "road angels " were where HP told them to be, right when they were suppossed to be.. whos' in control? no doubt about it!! love all you ladies. didn't sleep well last night, back at house, waiting for the air condition guy. its' 93* here. im going from shower, to computer in frot of fan..

i hate to say it, though.. lots of you are still freezing yourpatooties off. so, its better hot, than cold.. love ya! CHERIE

• HKCrazee
    HKCrazee Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011

Thanks Chrissyb - I'll look up the newbies guides.

Yesterday I finally found out exactly what is happening and my BC was actually twice as big as I mistakenly thought I heard and HER +? but its all good news though as its low grade.

I got my prescription for Tamoxifen - so today will be my first day.

I am 61 and had no problems with menopause or pregnancy but some of the possible side effects of Tamoxifen are things I already have - dizziness (since surgery ??) cloudy things swimming in my eyes and stiff joints and the ever present tiredness anyway, so we'll see what happens.  

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011

OMG Ginger-my trash is now fulll of anything that says plump up or high volumn-even the low volumn stuff is in the can-how hysterical!!! Mouse and all!! LOVE IT!! saw doc today-have to go for CAT scans and stuff tomorrow to look at potential bo-bo's and look at my lungs cause the cough ain't getting any better and i still cannot breathe!!! Angus limping-could not get to to vet today-just too ill.GRRRR!! Ineed a man-maid!!!! SV OH BIG PS-I AM BACKON 60MG OF PREDNIZONE A DAY-please let me know if I do NOT post warm and fuzzy crap!!

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2011

SV--thinking about you at that CAT scan and hoping for the best. Lynda

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011

In truth, I am really quite scared-my life is spinning out of control (no surprise) and I have been trying to stay in denial just to keep going-the results have been disastrous and continue to be. I will glad to get the lung CT but am worried that the Beast has taken a foothold elsewhere. the  pain is terrible and it hits between my breasts so I can never get a full breath without going into coughing spasms-the CO2 levels crank up and feet and all start to cramp up-I am just hating this. Truly need to be in the hospital cause i have been trying to manage this and it isn't even close to working here at home. but my air sats were 91 today (very low for me) but need 88 to get into hospital. More Grrrr!! Again, this is just not responding to 'at home' stuff. XXOO SV 

• 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011
  • 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011
    fishfimmurray58sindee016.jpg image by 3jaysmom
  • 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011
    here are the "lovebirds...heheheshhh...
  • 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011

sorry gals.. ill go back and read.. wanted to get some pics from photobucket. trying to hide the lack of hair.. Murs 58th with fish and fin.. 3jays

• mcbird
    edited March 2011

Thanks ChrissyB and 3jays. 

SV, I'm glad you are going to have a CT scan but if you can't breathe you can't wait.  Could you call your doc and see if he would admit you for more intense treatment.  Are you on O2, it sounds like you should be.  Raise some hell kiddo, you have to make yourself heard. XOXOXOXOX  Darla

• 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011

next, i need to learn how to post a few together.. sorry to take up four posts..im a hog!!1st pic is me with bad hair (barely none) and my beloveds  DH, GS<GD..Next pic isDH b.day cake for his 58th happy b.day Zayda..yiddish for granpa.. last is Mur and i..yeah!! 1st pics from photobucket done. i feel good.. 3jays.

• 3jaysmom
    edited March 2011

chrissy, thanks.. and SV get thee to the Dr.!! missing you all.. back home with aircondition. chemo brain big time. i turned the humidistat off by mistake yesterday. it was installed backwards, so on is off, off is on. i had it turned the wrong way JEESH, how am i suppossed to remember up is down, down is up! 

• mcbird
    edited March 2011

Glad your back home 3jays.  I go tomorrow at 3 to get the results of the 4 tests I had in 5 days so I am a little anxious but not too bad.  The femara has worked miracles for me so far so I feel like it will be good new.  Get some rest. XOXOXOXO  Darla

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2011

Hey Darla, my pulmononolgist is the Director of the Department at closest hospital for lung care-all the beds are full and he could not get me in. Awful night-just trying to make it to CT scans and test this AM and cannot catch my breath at all. My lung doc upped all meds yesterday and is slamming me with everything but normally when this bad i am in hospital for ten days on solumedrol IV and IV anti-B's. Is it your B-day or what is with the cake and all??? SV