Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2011

This is the last place I would have expected to see all this nonsense, and that is exactly what it is...nonsense.........I will say this again, and again, until it finally stops........I have been here just 1 month.......have bragged to many, many people about the support that you get from this webiste..........If anyone was to join today, and go to the right thread they would say "ok, that one must be a moron, they sound like a bunch of bickering biddies, who have nothing better to do then to be nasty, critical, self indulgent, mean spirited, and caring more about petty "crap", then about the very serious illness that all of them have.........I told a woman who was just diagnosed with BC to go on this site.........What was I thinking.............It still has not stopped.  It just continues to go on.........I was one of the very, very, fortunate ladies who got wonderful news............I could stop right now, and not write another thing on another thread, but the relationships I have made with women throught the country, and the world is awe inspiring......I feel like I have found another family of support..........What about the ladies whose news is not good, who are facing this ugly beast and need all of your to help them through........CAN WE THINK OF THEM, AND STOP THE CRAZINESS, AND THE BACK BITING...  Come on ladies, don't we have bigger fish to fry..............A group hug would be wonderful............We need each other...............have a wonderful night.............

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited March 2011

I have only one radiation treatment left! Tomorrow at 1:40 PM Pacific time!    Hooray!   Then on to Arimidex and not too many SE's I hope and pray. I am bone weary with fatigue just now and look forward to that lifting. Our son and his family just left, I was with them at the Seattle Aquarium this noon time and I toured mostly from bench to bench or nearest wall to lean on. My gosh even my fingers are weary.  I was trimming my part poodle dog's face and I could only get one side done. He looks sort of silly but I don't think he cares one bit. 

I hope you are all having a good day today. SV, how are you feeling? Better I hope. 3Jays, we all care, this has also been a good place for me to be.  I personally choose to use the ignore button when necessary because it decreases my stress. I volunteer for a mission in Haiti, consequently I know when I must decrease my stress in some areas so that I can function in other areas of my life. 

Woohoo! Done with Rads tomorrow!!! Woohoo!

I love you all, 

Ginger

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011

Congrats Ginger on getting to the last rad. Be careful. I had a flat tire on the way to my last rad. I guess the car was as tired as I was. It gets better.

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2011

Ginger.....congrats....you did well

gentle hugs

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,464
    edited March 2011

Big hugs to all and Ginger -- yay for you.  A rad grad for tomorrow. 

Lassie -- that was good for a chuckle....the car getting a flat so was as tired as you.  It is a nice sense of freedom. I had 7 weeks of them and could not be at home.  I was put up in a motel and had a driver to take me to rads every day and then bring me back to the motel.  Dare I say it became tedious and boring.....yet something I felt I had to do. 

Any-Jo.....I hear a voice of reason. 

Hope you all have a wonderful evening.  See you in the morning.

IllinoisLady

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited March 2011
    Hear, hear, Amyjo.  Like you, I joined this thread in August, 2010, and I too have seen this same thing happen twice.  I've always tried to be an ethical person and believe that all have a right to post here or anywhere else on this forum, but I cannot and will not support personal attacks on any one of my fellow victims of breast cancer.  Breast cancer brought us all together on BCO, period.  (For the record, I've also gone back and read all pages until I'm almost up to when I started posting here.)  

I also note, that many, many posts I've seen here and on other sections of this site would be deleted if it were any poster's right to delete the comments of another fellow cancer victim.  That function is the moderator's on their own or as a result of multiple reports by the community.  I was appalled that this happened.

This thread has become my lifeline at times and I don't want to lose it.  People here have commiserated and sympathized with me, offered support and suggestions, clarified issues of confusion, and I love and depend on you all.  In return, I try to give back and hope at times I've succeeded, if only to say I know how you feel, and I'm so sorry this is happening.  

One of my first experiences on BCO almost caused me to leave because I got chastized for not wanting to have chemo.  My reason was that my sister had BC, a mastectomy, and one chemo treatment, and a week later was near death.  The cause was a reaction to her one chemo treatment, and  a lack of oxygen in the initial stages of this reaction resulted in her losing both legs.  I posted my fears on another thread was criticized and told I just didn't want chemo.  And that was right, I didn't, but it was only because of what happened to my sister.  Fortunately, chemo was not recommended for me and I was spared a painful decision.  And, yes, I would have done it if I'd had to.  When I started posting on this thread, the very first person who reached out to me was SV in a PM, and for that reason she has always held a special place in my heart.  

I guess I just want to say, can't we all just get along?

Kathy
  • QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited March 2011

Re the above post, I don't know why it came out like that!  I tried to space the paragraphs, but where I double spaced between them, this is what happened.  Never happened to me before.  

Kathy

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited March 2011

Kathy, I've been here a month or two longer than you.  Execpt for the chemo part my experiences are much the same as yours.  Not wanting to restate what someone else has said so well, I will simply second your thoughts.  Thank you for stating it so well.

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2011

What is going on here!  I am only an occasional poster but when I have posted, I am always met with courtesy and support. I never am made to feel in the "out group" if there can be such a thing on a thread like this.  All I can say is good grief!!!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2011

Sorry girls, this has been the straw that has broken this camels' back.  I don't like bickering and nit picking so before I say something that I will be sorry for, I am going to start a new threat called 'For older people with more sense'. Those of you who would like to join me feel free but, I would prefer those with a certain attitude stay here.  If I want arguments, I can certainly find them closer to home.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited March 2011

I'll have to have  a look at Picasa Chrissy, but it's got to be easy to use as what I learn one day I will probably forget the next.

Baby sitting went well, but daughter and I are wiped out!  We have a 30 min drive home and I developed the runs about an hour before leaving, so I didn't exactly crawl home. As I was driving up the last street before mine, I realised that no street lights were on, nor the blinking yellow warning light on my front foot-path.  Wouldn't you know it......................the bloody power was out and the only way I can get into my house is through the electronic gate downstairs!

I had to quickly drive over to our local Maccas to pass....................the time, until I thought the power might be back on about an hour later.  The rest of the town had power just the two blocks near me were blacked out!

Some days, I just know I shouldn't get out of bed.

Sheila. 

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Affirmation: I Act with Bold Courage - Taking inspiration from the powerful vision of my future, I boldly set sail with courage and intent. I hold my course with focused attention and relentless commitment, as I weather the storms of life.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Good morning to all.  What a bright beauty it is too.  Today ( hopefully ) I will bring Dahlia home.  She is a tortoise-shell cat.  She and 3 sisters were dumped at the no-kill shelter where I volunteer and I will foster them all.  We did not have room at the shelter.....but all were very ill and most thought sweet little Dahlia would not survive.  Turns out she is a little warrior.  She and Tulip who still needs a bit more healing while two have been with me for a while'.

Hope you are all looking forward to a most wonderful day.  It is gorgeous out.

IllinoisLady

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2011

Illinois Lady: How nice you are to foster the cats.  I have 3 cats who were rescues and make great pets.  They are also long livers and are 12, 16 and 19 years old!!!  But it is volunteers like you who really make a difference.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited March 2011

Hi Crissy, I agree with you...........no matter how many times you say "peace to all" it seems to go on, and on.  I will see you on your new thread should you choose to start one......Sorry ladies.  I have no idea what this is all about anyway, but it makes me sad to think that women with more problems then "hurt feelings" would even take the time to entertain a bad attitude........As for me............like I said before "I have bigger fish to fry"......See you on the other side Crissy..........Hugs to all my friends I'm leaving behind..........

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Hi Mandy.....I volunteer at the local no-kill shelter as often as I can.  I also go around town to several feral cat feeding stations and take care of those animals.  I also go to an older friend's house daily and clean and help care for her animals. I guess for the most part I'm pretty much all about animals. 

I keep busy that is for sure..

Have a wonderful day.

IllinoisLady

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Beauty of a day so far.  I really love the sun, but we have high winds which will pul in much cooler weather and rain.....so this won't last. 

School again tomorrow.....a class sponsored by our hospital here for Seniors.  You learn a lot about food issues, and new changes such as in salt amts. daily etc.  Also, lots of wt. bearing exercise etc.  So far I am blown away.  I thought I was doing a lot of good things for myself and find that it wasn't as good as I thought.  There are several classes.....so I am going to have to keep my ears and eyes open.  At my age, I need all the help I can get.

Hope all of you have had a fantastic day.

IllinoisLady

• IHOP
    IHOP Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2011

Hey IllinoisLady

I hear you about thinking you know how to do food and all right.  I've been chastised by my doc about my love of salt.  I can go weeks without sweet but can't stand bland food.  My dh (now passed) used to joke about me needing food with my salt.  LOL!  Maybe you could share some of what you learn in your classes.

I really like your daily quotes. 

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

- My day is filled with limitless potential in joy, abundance and love.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

IHOP mice to meet you.  I had an enormous addiction to sweets though used my share of salt fairly well too.  One of the things I learned ( if you have ever been on  more than one diet plan you may recognize this ) is that it takes 21 days to break a habit.  One time when I did the South Beach Plan I had to go without salt and sugar for that length of time.  Don't recall if THEY said why but it did work. 

I eat very little salt and sugar and in fact, it is not put on the dinner table.  The odd thing is....if out I will eat a burger and fries and it tastes great ( sometimes saltier than I expected ) but the craving was not re-awakened.  That always sort of amazes me.  Where I used to use salt, pepper usually goes now.  For instance.....on a baked potato....I use the spray form of I Can't Believe It's Butter and a lot of pepper. 

My husband ( has a harder time of it ) and got something called No Salt.  I forget to use it though.  He has done a lot better lately and since he is going to be 72 in May wants to do what he can to stay healthy. 

Class today....I'm going to have to take notes. I think the Nutritionist is going to be there.  Otherwise a long day ahead. .

See you soon,

IllinoisLady

• wan2bwell
    wan2bwell Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2011

This is my first time here.  I am so thankful that I have no clue what the "mess" is about and that it is now resolved.  I was 60 when diagnosed and need this support more than I can express.  No one in my life wants to hear me whine-I really do not even want to hear myself.  If you have walked down the path of BC and all that it means-the fears, tears, pain, self doubt-body images issues and are really honest...you know that it takes another survivor to understand what bond we share.  I am so thankful that I found you and like they say-you can choose your friends, but you cannot choose your family-and we are indeed sisters. j

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Good afternoon wan2bwell.  This is a difficult path and one so many of us didn't expect.  Minding our business and looking forward to the things that happen when you are getting close to retirement.  I was ready to breathe a sign of relief for the most part, but like everyone here.....not meant to be. 

It does seem only those who have this diagnosis seem to be able to offer the comfort that is really needed.  I think the fear and upset last a long time.  About the time you think you are starting to get control, test time comes up and you ae back there just like at the beginning pretty much nervous and scared.  We are good at hand holding here.  Please pull up a chair and get comfy.  We are here for you.

Hugs, IllinoisLady

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2011

Hey gals!  Welcome wan2bwell AND IHOP!  

And you are right, no-one in the family really knows how you feel, & we don't exactly know how to talk to them either.... Sometimes they WANT us to take some sort of meds that really are hard on us...but they just want us to get better....

Yes, I'm just thankful the "mess" is all over with too!  This forum has always been one of the best, & most informative! 

And IHOP!  Is it because you like breakfast from IHOP?  Ha! 

And Illinois Lady is right...just pull up a chair, & we're here to listen....we're all in this together, so don't be afraid, & don't worry....

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

- I'm going to relax and have fun with this, no matter what the outcome may be.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Good morning everyone and hi Chevy,

Golly.....it is snowing out of doors.  A couple of days ago it was almost 75 degrees, but oh well.  The good part is it won't last.  We have Spring snows.  This one is really wet and will likely turn into rain as it warms.

I'm still going to have a great day and I hope you all will as well.  It's my day to work at the Shelter.  Always great to see all my furry friends there.  Talk to you all later.

Hugs,  IllinoisLady

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2011

So long Older Women....this forum really was the best of BC.ORG....So many memories of all my good friends.....Jo-5, Spar, Ritajean, CarolHalston, Patoo, Pj123, and yes, Isabella.... Northstar, GramE, SocalLisa....and Alyson and Jackie!   It was fun while it lasted.  Best wishes to you all.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
    - Gilda Radner

About Gilda Radner

The endearingly goofy American comedian Gilda Radner was the first actor cast on "Saturday Night Live" and stayed with the show for six years, creating such beloved characters as Baba Wawa, Emily Litella, and Rosanne Rosannadanna. She was born in Detroit in 1946. After she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in the late 1980's, she wrote "It's Always Something," a book about her experiences. Her widower, Gene Wilder, founded the "Gilda's Club" national support group after her death in 1989

• illinoislady
    edited March 2011
    When you start your day with gratitude everything falls intoplace with grace and ease. I'm grateful for YOU!
  • illinoislady
    edited March 2011

Good morning this a.m.  It is beautiful here.  All the snow from night before last and yesterday is gone.  I have been thinking a lot about the Forum here.  Though from time to time I have posted on other forums and threads......this one, which was just a little diversion in the beginning for me became an important place.

It seems at present no one wishes to be here.  As has happened here before and happens in other areas as well some major upsets came and most not wishing to be subjected moved on.  I understand that too.  When you battle with your disease most of the time that is enough and you do not want more of the same where you are trying to de-stress in a calm and relaxed place with others just like you.  

I am very sorry that all of this occurred.  I try hard to heed my own avatar and do what it says but even I resorted to reporting a post though I said very little that was not positive.  I have never been censured by the powers that be for anything as yet because I do try and remain as much on the positive side of things as I can and can freely post anywhere I wish. 

At this point in time, I will be possibly posting some uplifting affirmation or something akin to that every day.  If someone comes -- even if they don't stay, I will have hopefully given them something of value to take with them.  If they choose to stay, fine or if not that too is ok.  This is in honor of the place I learned to love and care about when I really thought I just might only be passing through. 

I expect to pass through this world but once;

any good thing therefore that I can do, or any

kindness that I can show to any fellow-creature,

let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it,

for I shall not pass this way again.

-

by Grellet

I will see you again tomorrow.

IllinoisLady