Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,464
    edited April 2011

Yay for you Chevy.  I love convection ovens and have one on my new stove that is about a year or year and a half old.  It is set up that it makes all the conversions ( time and temperature ) after I touch the button that tells it that I want to bake by convection.  The less expensive models you have to convert time and temps on your own.  If I ever had such a talent......it must have been a very long time ago. 

Anyway since Dh works for Sears ( where I got the stove ) I got an extra 10 percent off and as well since it was friends and family night got 30 percent off of the sale price for that night.  It made an expensive stove affordable, but I did have to wait for a few months and put up with my old ( oven didn't even work any more ) stove.

I think I have been on the computer for about 13 or 14 years but most of what I am able to do is pretty basic.  Tried to talk Dh out of one and when he did get one ( our first one was used ) there was almost no memory on it.  We did not keep it too long....just enough for him to get a little comfortable with it.  I didn't even know what to do after I turned it on.  Probably turned out like a lot of people and got very proficient with Solitaire.  We went from that to a brand new one and I spent the first four yrs. thinking I would blow it up or do something that would render if inoperable forevermore. 

Now.....we both have our own computers and this is my life.....especially in the wintertime when I don't want to be out for too long a time.  Also can't minimize what it meant to me while going through all my txs and rads and meds etc.  Really was my first experience at signing up for and using a blog. 

Well, time for a salad.  BE seeing you lovely ladies later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2011

Morning girls!  I used to have a Convection Oven, but I never really used it enough...but I do remember it making the best RIBS I ever tasted, ha!  I gave it away, because it was rather large, and I had to store it out in the garage when I wasn't using it...But my new one does everything!  I even think it washes clothes!  Wink And drys them! Surprised  So I have to USE it this time! 

I know....I love this computer stuff too...and when I had Breast Cancer, I really put this thing to work...I tried to find out everything...and yes, BC.org was a nice, comfortable place to be....You could find so much comfort here, and almost all your questions would be answered...and you could feel friendship here....

And yes, I used to play "Free-cell"...that is kind of like Solitaire...and when I would finally win a game, I turned the sound up, so I could hear all the bells & music....Ha! 

Have a fun Sunday gals!  xoxooxox

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited April 2011

Good morning everyone - and good afternoon, night to those across the pond or down under.  I will not even try to remember all of your names but I send Hugs and Blessings.    

The sun is bright today and they predict 70 degrees tomorrow.   Spring may be here to stay...   My allergies know it is springtime with the blossoms in full glory.      Nancy  

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Today's affirmationLaughing

My positive thoughts and actions renew my mind and body.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Good morning Nancy, Chevy, Heartnsoul, Ihop, and any visitors stopping by.  Yay, we are going to get up to 80 today.  Sounds like there will be some wind and rain, but this is Spring and I'll gey by. 

I'm with you Nancy....the nose knows that spring is rapidly approaching.  Kleen-X Puffs are definitely my best friend in the mornings now.  Thankfully, after my morning coffee I am able to get through most of the day without needing the Puffs handy. I often do walk around though with people asking if I have a cold --- but as I have to say several times through the yr., no, it is just a temperature change. 

It is amazing that we all GOT to find each other through a rotten disease.  I am still thinking that I never even considered such a thing when my thyroid ( Graves disease ) came close to doing me in.....and again when I had the stroke.  Getting on the Internet and finding others like me -- I never  came close to thinking of doing such a thing.  I think it was almost the first thing I did think about after diagnosis.  I'm sure it helped that I was reading literature that discussed the Internet as a resource. 

I think sometimes something inside just knows that this is very different and the coping strategies of the past are not going to fill the needs you will have. 

I think we are going to be bad today and go to the Waffle House for breakfast.  Not good for my eating plan but at least once a week I have to remind myself of why I'm trying so hard to be good the rest of the time.  Because the better it tastes....the worse it is for you. 

Hope you are all going to have a marvelous Sunday spend in joyful ways with people who mean a lot to you.

Hugs, Jackie

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2011

When I was diagnosed with BC in '95, I was attending a Technical And Further Education (TAFE) college 3 hrs x 3 days a week with my then 17yr old daughter. Her teacher at the 'Special School' she was attending, thought it would be a good idea for her to learn to type but, because DD is mentally slow and very shy, she wouldn't attend if I didn't go with her. 

I thought I would be able to explain things to her and help her out but the tutor wouldn't allow it so, gradually, I finished the course and left her behind.  What nobody told me at the get-go was that we would be using computers, which I feared more than a bucketful of big hairy spiders.  Boy, did I have my fear priorities wrong!

We were using MS DOS (pre mouse era) and the assistant tutor would stand beside me rattling off a long spiel of instuctions, while pressing keys all over the keyboard, and then leave me to it.  I would press keys and a little thing on the screen would blink and nothing would happen that I could make head or tail of and for the next two classes I left there feeling they had me filed as the dumbest blonde ever created.

By the third hour of the third day, I suddenly got it!  Things made sense and I could move from one assignment to the next with a printed sheet of the typing exercises to turn in at the end of each day.  I even corrected the spelling mistakes the tutor (who wrote the typing program) had included on each page, without knowing whether she knew they were mistakes. She wasn't the type of teacher you corrected.  One day I spoke to the person next to me and, when she saw me, told me off like I was a five year old child! Tongue out

Every so often, I would ring my M-i-law, who was an ex PA to the CEO of one of the biggest companies in this country, to tell her all about this new fangled way of typing and printing without mistakes.  She wasn't very impressed as she had just been given a word processor which was a typewriter with a little screen which only showed a few words at a time.  

One day, quite by accident, I saw my breast in a certain light in the mirror, and had an OMG moment.  Only a day or so before, we got an unsolicited envelope in the mail with First Aid cards inside.  Normally, I would have thrown it into the bin unopened but, this time, I ripped it open to see what it contained.  It was a sales pitch for Health/First Aid index cards with a few samples inside.  One of those cards had a picture of a womans breast with dimpling on the side!  My right breast had that exact same dimping as the one on the card!

I rang my GP straight away....he sent me for a mammogram..........a week later I was seeing a surgeon for my first biopsy.  Naturally, the app't was on our TAFE day so I left DD at the school while I kept my date with fate.  If I had known that day, I would have to lay on a hard wooden table while a short man stood above me on a step-stool and virtually stabbed me with a large needle, I would have run a mile in the other direction.  Even though I was in shock, I had to get myself together and drive back to the school to pick up DD and then make out that I was alright!

When the surgeon rang a few days later to say that the results were inconclusive and I would have to go through it all again, I was upset to say the least, although I didn't show it to my family. My breast was black with bruising and extremely sore and I don't know where I got the courage to walk back in there a week later for a repeat of that torture.  The second time he did it, he used a bigger needle and I could hear it make a crunching sound as he stabbed me again.  I thought he had gone through to the bone and my legs turned to jelly as I walked out of there.  I drove back to the school with tears blurring my vision and hands and legs shaking so bad, I often wonder how I didn't end up in an accident.

Another week later I got the bad news and, even though I had progessed to using a mouse and was in an advanced Word Processing class while DD was still learning to type, I told the tutor that we wouldn't be back in the near future and the reason why. 

Neither DD nor I went back, but when we got our first computer in '97, I was not as scared of using it as I would have been without having gone to those classes.   I seem to keep abreast Wink of the changes that come with new systems and machines, but I don't go looking for trouble by trying a lot of new stuff.  I know enough to do the things I am interested in and that suits me fine...........apart from the times DH implies that any 'puter problems must, automatically, be caused by me. Frown

Sheila.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Sheila.....guess there really is a reason for everything ( even when it is not real clear ) and if we just could relax and know that something from today will make tomorrow better in some way.

You know sometimes we really don't do anything to these machines.  My friend on the other lane from me told me that her computer was getting slower and slower ( and I am automatically thinking virus and malware and a number of bad things ) and so she took it in to a friend of hers.  He took off the housing --- blew big chunks of house dust ( called dust bunnies here ) out of it and gave it back to her.  She plugged it in at home....let it warm up a bit and away it went at breakneck speed again.

Still, there are some things I feel timid about and often have to really work at it to learn anything.  I'm glad Dh insisted I learn though.....and thank goodness he insisted I learn to drive.  I have a lot of life that might have passed me by. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited April 2011

Good Morning gals....Sheilah...!  Welcome!  It's so fun that you came by!   I admire you so much for caring for your Daughter the way you have....I know "it's only natural"....because I would do it in a heart-beat for my Daughters, AND my Grand-sons.  That's why we are here.....

That's funny, you telling about how you learned this computer stuff....Man, I know the feeling!  I didn't really have anyone to teach me, but I bought a "word processor" at Wards, and I wrote a book, about beer....about the history of brewing, how to do it, and the story of the Coors family.... And I put it all together with this dang word-processor...and then at work, I would ask this gal how to do this, or that on the computer....and I would try & make the two work together.   Well my book was really good, I mean for someone who didn't know beans from books...ha!    So we CAN learn....even at my age....Wink  Heck, I'm still learning! 

When you were talking about seeing the dimples in your breast....It's like that was SUPPOSED to happen!  I don't mean about that little man, from the dark ages sticking you like that, but I'm just glad you became aware of your own problem!  Yikes! 

Is that guy still practicing medicine?  Damn!  I'm so sorry he hurt you like that...and YOU having to take care of your little girl!  I won't complain again....nope! 

Just glad you can still fool around & do the things you want on the computer.  I look up all kinds of stuff...Like I found so many articles about Deafness from Tamoxifen, after I lost my hearing.... NONE of my medical team ever heard of such a thing...I'm just glad I could look things up...I love the computer for that reason...

Okay kids....talk to you all later!  Have fun! xoxoxoxox

• Chevyboy
    edited April 2011
    What have we learned in 2,064 years

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
    public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
    tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should
    be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
    work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero - 55 BC
    So, evidently nothing..

=
  • illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Chevy  I love what you posted.  We haven't learned so much have we.  History just keeps on repeating.  If we don't get it in this life we will just have to in the next one.  The answer always was and always will be love.  If you love enough, you will care and if you care you will find what it takes to make things right.  And loving sounds so easy as a concept.....well, that is a whole other chapter. 

Hope you had a wonderful evening.  See you all in the morning. 

Hugs, Jackie

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2011

Thanks Chevy, it does seem like fate when I look back...........who knew I'd need to be able to use a computer for so much research/info in the years that followed? I must say that it is a Godsend for keeping myself informed on SE's of meds, treatments and to meet other women who know how it feels to go through what we are..........so different from my experience in '95. 

It has also enabled me to write short stories of my life as I grew up and little anecdotes of my childrens lives for when I'm no longer here.  I know from experience that I have forgotten so much of what the grandparents told us about their lives and now that they are gone, we can't ask them to repeat them.

Sheila.

• Chevyboy
    edited April 2011

Morning Sheila!  I just caught your post while I was reading my email.

Yes, the internet is how I figured out "Deafness from Tamoxifen"....I don't think our "Team" keeps up on information like that!    I think it was "fate' also, that I started looking for something about deafness, because my Husband kept saying, "It HAS to be something you are taking!"  That's when I researched it. 

That is so cool that you write about your childrens lives!  I remember talking to my Dad, after Mom died, and him telling me about when he was in WW2, in Japan, 2 days after they dropped the A bomb...And what his job was at the time....He just sat there & told me so much that I had never heard about his life!...I wrote it down, while we were talking, but it's really hard to read right now, because of the memories I have of him, and that night....

My Mom kept all her favorite little clippings, pictures, and she was one to write a Christmas letter every year about the family....

Yes, I only have pictures of my Grandparents also....I learned so much from my Grandmother, because I stayed in Denver when my Parents moved to the Bay area...So she was like my "Other Mother"....ha! 

It's fun "talking" to you!     xoxoxox

• Chevyboy
    edited April 2011

I always thought this was funny....Wink

"Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
    Not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!"

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011
    Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.
    Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.
    Hatred darkens life; love illumines it.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.
  • illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Oh my cell phones, walking on the moon, modern glass --- remember how many of the old window panes had wavy glass...I'm dating myself here.  That is just a few things and then there are the strides that have been made in medicine.  Just think if we'd have gotten our diagnosis 25 yrs. or more ago.  There is so much to help us now. 

I recall my ex reading science fiction books that talked about men going to Mars.  Well, we didn't do that yet, but have reached the moon.  Something I never thought would happen.  As well, the old computer had to sit in a big room.  Now a tiny one sits on my desk where I can find out anything I want to know and talk to the world at large.  We live at  and in a wonderful time though we often lose sight of that.......so much war and hatred and other things. 

How wonderful that we can choose joy and positive things to surround ourselves with because if you keep putting light out around you, you will get back light. 

Rain here today --- over a lot of the area.  It will make things greener and help Spring get here.

See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

To go against the dominant thinking of your friends, of most of the people you see every day, is perhaps the most difficult act of heroism you can perform.
    - Theodore H. White

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

It is aa bright, beautiful morning here.  It rained off and on most of the day yesterday.  I need the sun to bloom and to enhance my sense of wellness and freedom.  Even in the middle of winter and 14 inches of snow....if the sun is out I feel like it is a perfect day.  It is a marvelous thing that we are given built in medicine that often we don't even much consider.  The sun which gives us such great Vit. D.  Water which will not only wash us on the outside, but will dilute all the chemicals that get into our bodies and help carry them safely outside of it.  Air, as in yoga type deep breathing which releases stress while helping the body to function better and hugs.  At one place where I get my wellness check-up I am always asked if I am willing to have a hug......they so believe in it there, and yes I am always willing.  Laughter is another marvelous tool.  It can release such tension from you.  Gentle but consistent exercise.....just a nice long walk and suddenly sometimes you are having really great thoughts.  You release yourself and are able to detach from cares or worries and have gotten into a different state. 

There is so much we can do that brings positive energies up while not having the se's of prescribed medications.  Easy to forget or take just a little for granted but we have a lot to work with so it is always a joy to me when I see the sun. 

I hope you are all going to have a fantastic day and use whatever healing energies are right at your fingertips.  Free for the taking. 

Hugs, Jackie

just some of my humble opinions

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Don't focus on the challenges or the unexpected obstacles but instead celebrate all of the wonderful things that life has to offer and that you are lucky enough to be blessed with. ~ Darcee Matlen

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

I trust my inner wisdom.

I trust the information I get form my
    deeper resources and intuition.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

It is going to be a pretty day here.  Very spring-like and as always it is coming at just about the right time.  The frustration of winter has set in hard and with these pretty days it is awakening the part of me that says....all things are new again.  It brings a peace inside knowing that the opportunity comes to "get it right" and a sense of wonder emerges.  Every day is an opportunity to live life as fully as possible.  That is something to be very grateful for as the gift it is.

I hope you all live as fully as you can.  Today is the best day we are going to have....at least until tomorrow. 

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Here's something I thought was neat:

Optimist versus Pessimist.

How foolish is the pessimist, despondent and forlorn, who always when he gets a rose goes hunting for the thorn.

The optimist has better sense; the charm of life he knows.  He doesn't mind a scratch or two if he can get the rose.

So don't be a pessimist, bogged down with discontent; the optimist has heaps of fun that doesn't cost a cent.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Bright and beautiful morning this a.m.  Spring  has  a bit more springing out to do, but I love all the beginnings.  Also love the fact that all the new leaves, sprouts, grass etc. are the vibrant NEW green that only comes in Spring. 

It is the fact that we too can feel a sense of being able to clean the slate somewhat and start over.  We can re-energise and gain inspiration for trying to take something and make it better than yesterday.  It did not take cancer to make me feel this way --- always felt it to some degree, but I think I am more encouraged about the correctness for me to behave in that fashion.  I am more consistent now than before. 

Hope you are all feeling some Spring in the air.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011
  • illinoislady
    edited April 2011

What a beautiful day today.  Spring is always such delight.  It always brings hope for better tomorrows.  It is as though we really do get another chance to make things better in our life and the lives of others.  I think Spring is God's way of saying that you are being given a chance for a do-over of a sort.   I know I always want to try again to do anything I can to show love and gratitude to those who will accept it.  To help along the path of life those things I can and to rise above if possible all the negative things that come un-bidden.  I lived in southern California for 25 yrs. and did not realize how much I missed the seasons and especially that of Spring. 

I hope you all will enjoy your day.  It was made for you.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Oh Jo.....we got our rain last night and today was fantastic.  Love your saying.  Those type of things always lift me up when I'm a little down and sometimes I don't realize I'm a little down till I read them and then notice how much better I feel than the few seconds or minutes before I did. 

I hope you had a good day anyway -- hoping for a sunny weekend for you.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited April 2011

Hi Gals!  It's really been nice here also!  Been working in some of my gardens, but it's supposed to snow again tomorrow night!  Yikes!  I can hardly wait for Spring to really get here!

Yes Jackie, I know what you mean about the sayings or poems really lift you up...They can help us so much....And thanks to you too, Jo!  It's like if we stop for a minute and let them soak in, we can get a lot out of them....  I've always loved this one!

Three Hairs

Spiritual Story by Unknown

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head....

"YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"

Love you gals! xoxoxoxoxo

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited April 2011
    Precautions re Mammograms and Dental XRays/ A Useful Warning

On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women, thyroid cancer.  It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms.  He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around your neck.  Many dentists don't bother to use it.  Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms.  By coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer. I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know.  You have to ask for it." Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask?  

Someone was nice enough to forward this to me. I hope you pass this on to your friends and family. 
  • Chevyboy
    edited April 2011

Hi Gram.....No, I had never heard of this either....I know ANYthing is possible, so I'll ask for the guard next month when I go....

My friend Carol had thyroid cancer.....She went in for one of those "body screenings" and it was found them.  They took her Thyroid out, and she is doing fine now, just taking meds. 

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

Gram....that is interesting and no one has ever "offered" me protection.  How odd....in order to attempt to minimize harm you need these things........but most of us don't even know they are there.  I guess 'strong vigilance" may always be the answer --- if someone will just let us know the questions.  I thank you for sharing this with us. 

Several yrs. ago I had a run-away thyroid.....hyper for 7 yrs. and no one could figure it out till it nearly took my life.  I had to drink radiated iodine out of a big lead container three different times as each time up to the last, the iodine just turned up the volume on my hyper thyroid state which was already at the nth. degree.  The last one did it but I well recall....the Dr. saying that I'd likely have thyroid cancer.....I didn't.....instead I get bc.  I still wonder sometimes, but think the iodine finally just basically killed the whole organ ( it didn't give up without a tremendous fight ) as I take the highest mg. of replacement thyroid now. 

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2011

No matter what the events of the day, the Universe is positive and will always be with me to help me through my choices, and struggles and acts as my inner guidance, direction and purpose and this is something I can always count on.