Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,469
    edited May 2011

Morning everyone.  Hope it doesn't rain today, but we seem much more in line for it.  My day to work at the shelter though I have several things to do before I go.....and another home visit for a dog placement.  We take our placements very seriously  so a lot of work goes into these things.

Chevy.....I think the thing with the alcoholism is that it is a cumulative disease -- so once you get across the line from perhaps merely problem drinker, it takes less and less to get inebriated.  This means, unlike smoking, if it took 8 beers to get you inebriated before and you have been "sober" for 10 years.....it will only take five or six now.  Also, you have to factor in what damages that could have been ongoing before may be reactivated and will contribute to further destruction. I think it got put into the category of "disease" for the fact that it does such destruction to the body if overdone on a consistent basis.....and also, for the most part, alcoholics cannot go back to normal drinking......                                                                                                               smoking...hmmm, yes it is a one-person thing though second hand smoke is damaging as well to some, but over-all not so bad as the actual smoker. These are two ---- smoking and drinking things that are definitely addictions.  People are addicted to many things....drugs, alcohol, tobacco, food, sex, gambling -- just about anything.  It's a tough world out there and we have to be on guard.

Survived the night with the little Sheltie.  His mom will pick him up later on today.  He is confused and won't eat, but that is ok.....it won't be long enough to be harmful to him. 

Hearing yesterday, Maggie may need to go over to the teaching hospital in Missouri.  We shall have to see how that goes.  I was hoping she'd get home but guess it will be a while yet.

Gram, I loved the quotes.  I enjoy them immensely and I leave one every day on another part of BCO. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day. 

Hugs, Jackie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited May 2011

Jackie: I do not often come across quotes but thought the above were good enough to pass on.   That is except here, with your quotes.   Somewhere I had a book of daily meditations and CRS - can't remember the title - some being more spiritual and others not.   Oh well...

Rain is off and on here and much cooler, only 62 degrees.   Tomorrow is the first of bi weekly Flea Markets at the American Legion to help raise funds for roof repair.    Rain is predicted, so it may be off to a slow start.

Hugs and Blessings, Nancy 

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011
    Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm,
    but to add color to my sunset sky.
    - Rabindranath Tagore
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2011

This is one of those quotes that seem to say so much to me.  I'm not sure of the whole meaning " to me " but feel like it sets the tone for accepting what life hands me and doing the best I can and trying to be satisfied that I have. 

It first captured me as it reminded me that the 25 yrs. I lived in California I saw very few clouds.  I did not realize entirely how much I missed them until I returned home here to southern Illinois.  I missed a lot of things -- especially the seasons which are pronounced here but were subtle in California.  .

Hope you all have a fantastic Saturday.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited May 2011

I just read this, & thought it was funny.....We ALL probably know someone that this fits! Wink

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011
    All things share the same breath -
    the beast, the tree, the man...
    the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.
    - Chief Seattle [attributed]
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2011

Good morning everyone......hi Jo.  Great to see you.  You are also so right.  Treating se's are far easier than treating cancer.  It still amazes me just a little that we have to be willing to poison ourselves to get well --- but the alternative was even more un-thinkable.  We are fortunate that so many went before us and much was learned so that we do have help for se's that work well. 

Still waiting for "good" Spring weather here.  Last two days were gloomy, rainy --- been thinking of maybe getting my table and chairs out and up on the deck. 

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2011

"There is much satisfaction in work well done, but there can be no happiness equal to the joy of finding a heart that understands." ~ Victor Robinsoll
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2011

Love that quote Chevy.  It may be cool, but there is a beautiful sun out today so that inspired me to look for a nice quote as well.  This is what I found:

Nobody grows old by living a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals.  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.                                                 Samuel Ullman

The sun is my enthusiasm.  I find it healing and it just gets my whole interior in a good mood wanting to accomplish things.....and not just things --  but good things like helping someone else. 

I hope you all have a really fantastic day.

Happy healing hugs to all.

Jackie

• GramE
    edited May 2011

Hi peeps:   is this page longer than normal?   Seems like a zillion posts and still on # 357.   Not that it really matters.   Sun and warm today and a nice breeze.My balcony is great with coffee earlier.   Laundry is going and maybe put away more wintery clothing stuff.   

Why is it when you finally decide to schedule an event for yourself, everyone else calls you to do something with them after weeks of nothing?    4 invitations for today...   Feast or famine !!

Enjoy, Hugs, Blessings, Nancy 

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011

"I am not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on."
    -Roseanne Barr

Nancy....thought you'd enjoy this little quote.....your so right.  When you have time....others don't seem to....like you I am trying to get winter packed away.

One of these day soon..

Enjoy your day sans' the invites unless you have a last minute change of heart.

Hugs, Jackie

• GramE
    edited May 2011

Jackie:  I want one that is programmable, set the time and it goes by itself...  

• GramE
    edited May 2011

Jo, if I am gonna ride in something, I want it to be fire engine red, "rag top", V-8 and with a handsome driver... you get the drift ??

• GramE
    edited May 2011

oops, forgot about the floors... LOL !!

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.

Defeat is not bitter unless you swallow it.

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011

Good morning everyone.  Some sun outside and that is going to help me have a great attitude and be cheerful.  I will go to the Shelter today rather than Friday. 

It is always nice to go help out my animal friends.  It is always amazing to me that the animals never change much.  You are always held in high regard in their eyes and do no wrong.  Wouldn't it be nice if we, as well as others for the most part could do the same.  Still we do have to have a few sour notes as that is what makes the others so much sweeter.

Onward for my day.  I hope you all have a very wonderful one. 

Happy hopeful hugs to you,

Jackie

• Darolyn
    Darolyn Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2011

My dear sweet friends, I read my last post and was so embarassed I deleted it.  My spelling and words were so bad.  I guess I didnt proof read.  With this weather we cant even fish.  Even the fish have winter coats on, its so cold.  the herons are huddling along the banks to get away from the rain. This is just crazy.  I want to hunt the morel mushrooms but the rain wont stop.  I looked them up on the computer and they can be found around dead tree stumps, elm trees, and some other foilage I dont know.  If I find some I will get so excited I will probably wet my pants.  Then I would tell everyone it is the rain!   Trying for some humor with this dull dreary weather.  Love to all DAR

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2011

Morning gals!  Oh Dar, I love those wild mushrooms too!  We live next to an irrigation ditch, & the dead tree stumps used to serve us the BEST tasting mushrooms ever!  I would just clean them a little, slice, & saute' them in a little bacon grease w/ garlic salt....Mmmmmm!  But the last few years, there haven't been ANY!   I keep hoping.  We didn't want to "try" those funny looking mushrooms growing around the trees, but my FIL said, "You won't die, those are good!"   So he ate the first ones, & remained alive, ha!

We are still having that wet, soggy weather also, but I'll not complain, because of all the flooding and fires going on.....So tragic! 

I'm still fighting that Bronchitis & Asthma, but the Doc gave me some different solutions to put in the Nebulizer, & it helps more!  At least it isn't Pneumonia!  I pulled muscles in my side coughing, & THAT is worse than all the rest!Frown

Okay, now I'm done complaining!  My Mammogram came out great!  See, there ARE things to ge grateful for.

Jo5.... I've always loved your little Raggedy Ann doll....AND the beautiful sentiments you and Jackie always give us!   Keeps us focused, right?   I was laying there last night, trying to just breathe without wheezing, & that stabbing pain in my back, & for a minute, it got better...... And I thought, "Well thank you God!..... I KNOW I will get better!"   Just wish His idea of  "feeling better" was as crucial as mine!  Wink 

Hi Gram!  Okay gals.... gotta look some stuff up!  Have a good day! xoxoxxo

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011

I choose kindness...I will be kind to the poor, for they are alone. Kind to the rich, for they are afraid. And kind to the unkind, for such is how God has treated me. --Max Lucado

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011

Good morning ladies....I hope you are all set for a great day.....or at least a good one.  Our temps are moving up which always makes me happy.  No rain until the week-end and that is good, at least for me. 

Chevy --  hope those new meds kick in real hard for you today and that you just keep getting better and better though it does take a little while for the soreness of over-used muscles from coughing hard to clear up.  Sometimes....I think like you.....that is a huge part of feeling like you are really getting over the hump since it lingers a bit much. 

Dar,I do recall eating wild mushrooms and it seems there is nothing better.  We had mushrooms, wild berries and all sort of edible treasures in season where we lived.  I also recall ( no one thought they would grow ) getting bulbs from old fashioned iris'es that were in a field by our house ( guess there had been a house there in the field at one time ) and planting them in our yard.....and they came up the next year and our neighbors were always so delighted to see them.  They were purple and very pretty.  There were ( great climate ) so many lilacs everywhere and honeysuckle. 

Jo is so right....today is our day to live and do it the best we can.  Yesterday is done and like a good book we have finished, put by somewhere ( kept in the background for reference to possible lessons we may need to recall ) but considered finished, and tomorrow.....anything is possible so no point in living in advance.  We can only deal with what is right before us so .......just look on tomorrow as another adventure and each day try to be a little better than the day before.  Don't beat anyone else's record.....beat your own.  What joy and satisfaction. 

Hope you all have a great day. 

Hugs, Jackie 

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2011

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011
    The winds of grace blow all the time. All we need to do is set our sails.
    -- Ramakrishna
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2011

A stunning picture for my friends today:

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011
    With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2011

Good morning friends.  I loved the quote when I saw it this morning.  It almost instantly tossed me back to diagnosis time.....when I was so petrified and feeling concealed terror and wondering  *just how long I had left * to this amazing time. 

I am for the most part well and have full and total intent to stay that way.  Need a little Podiatry work I think, but otherwise. I seldom ( other than mammo's ) think so much about 2008 and getting thru all txs.  It was a rough year......but not so bad in comparison to what I am like now.  I have lived almost 65 full years......so that brief few months was in fact, soooo worth it.  I hope all of you are able to find new strength and new thoughts to keep you company.  I hope we all find it easy to be grateful too.......that we are here living a life with purpose and being a shining light for those who are coming after. 

I hope you all have a fantastic day.  I'll be checking in later.  See you then.

Hugs, Jackie

• SherylT
    SherylT Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011

Justing being diagnosed 5/9/11, I am thrilled to find this forum (especially the comments from the "older" sector - I'm 64). Having read some of the previous posts, I was steaming mad to see a male dr's comments about not missing your breasts due to your age). Senior citizens can be sexy too. What a crock!  I don't feel like 64 (whatever that means) and I'm sure the majority of those who use this forum are as young at heart as I am, although trying to be a "big girl" through all this takes some doing. I find sharing my feelings and concerns with other women in the same situation helps so much and I praise every one of you who contribute.

I'm going for a second opinion next week, but am probably opting for a BMX with immediate reconstruction, since I have grown accustomed to my breasts and needed a lift anyway - lol. Don't know which recon would be the best for me - hoping the PS (female) will help with that decision. Thank you God for women doctors.

Sorry for rattling on and on, but need to get it out of my system and maybe start a dialogue with others who can share advice/experiences.

Bless you all my sisters.

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2011

Well hey Shery!  I think you are spelling your name wrong, ha!  Just kidding!  I spelled our Daughter's name Sheri....But I'm glad you found us ANYway!

Don't worry about anything....I'm 73, & I was so afraid, like we ALL are, when we hear we have breast cancer..... I thought I was just too old to even have a Mammogram!  But that's how we found it!..

You know, it doesn't make any difference how "old" we are....We just don't want to lose our breasts!!!!   We sort of grow accustomed to them, & they are a PART of us, & if we CAN, we will hang onto them with tooth & nail!   My team were women too!  And I loved them....they just "get it!" 

Listen to your Doc's!  See what they say, & THEN decide!  There are sooooooo many things that you have to consider....And your team will advise you as to WHAT would be best for you. 

I am like Joycek.... Only had a lumpectomy, then radiation with the MammoSite Device!  And looking back on it all now, I was very luck & fortunate....and YES, attitude makes all the difference!    So hang with us if you want....We'll be here for you all the way.  Just let us know what they tell you...... By the way, write down questions you have, & then their answers, and tell them your concerns!  Keep copies of your tests, etc. 

If I would have had to have a mastectomy, I think I would have also gone for a "re-build".....  What-ever makes us feel better, right?   I don't CARE how "old" we are, we can still feel young and happy!    Talk to you gals later! xoxoxoxoxoJeannette

• illinoislady
    edited May 2011

Welcome Cheryl....I am so glad you found us.  I was another doing only lumpectomy.  I had a wonderful female Dr. who was so mindful of how women felt and whose manner tended to put you at ease and make you feel safe and protected.  I had and still do, total and complete confidence in my Dr. 

The comment the Dr. made is un-called for and insulting.  The figures and birth dates may indicate Senior, but I'm sure we have as much ( heck maybe a lot more ) life going on in us as he does.  I've grown quite use to my body parts and while I do know the "real" me is not a body part....I still rely on them ( I really missed my hair while it was gone ) and feel  that I am at least on a par with everyone else when I have all that I started out with. 

Hope you will come often. We are a small but loving group. 

See you all tomorrow.  Long day yesterday and today.  I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

Hugs, Jackie

• GramE
    edited May 2011

I also had a lumpectomy after Dose Dense chemo - 4 A/C, 12 Taxol and herceptin, then the surgery.   It was called a complete pathological response, as the 6 cm tumor shrunk almost immediately.   My decision to do it this way was to see if chemo worked and it sure did.  No fun, but doable.     Hugs and Blessings, Nancy