Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited June 2011

Hi Gals....I just received this in my email, from the FDA.....

"Dear Colleague

Today, FDA warned women not to substitute
    breast thermography for mammography to screen for breast cancer. Some health
    care providers are promoting breast thermography on their websites and claiming
    that thermography is superior to mammography as a screening method for breast
    cancer, because it does not require radiation exposure or breast
    compression.

The FDA is unaware of any valid scientific
    evidence showing that thermography, when used alone, is effective in screening
    for breast cancer. To date, the FDA has not approved a thermography device (also
    referred to as a telethermographic device) for use as a stand-alone to screen or
    diagnose breast cancer. However, the FDA has previously cleared thermography
    devices for use only as an adjunctive diagnostic tool for breast cancer
    screening and diagnosis. Therefore, thermography devices should not be used as a
    stand-alone method for breast cancer screening or diagnosis."

I have read other threads where the women want this type of screening...so thought this information was useful!

Additional information can be found at the
    following link: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm257259.htm

Thank you for your continued support of the
    FDA and its mission.

Sincerely,

Marsha Henderson

U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Assistant Commissioner for Women's Health
    (Acting)

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited June 2011

Cooler today - 3 pm and 87 degrees with slight wind.   I am no fan of cold weather and snow and ice, but this is early to be roasting and needing air cond.   Where is my windshield sun shield???  

During my high school years we lived in Phoenix and somehow got by with a swamp cooler in our house.   Half of the classrooms were not air cond - any wonder why I hated American History - one of those without ??    

Hugs and Blessings, Nancy 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,469
    edited June 2011

Love is the glue that holds the universe together. Through the power of love, we come home to ourselves. We are made whole. ~ Sylvia Brallier

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Our humidity will be coming today after the rain storm.....hopefully, much, much later today or this evening, but till then....it's so pretty out.

Had to take Chico our Puggle in for a check-up this a.m.  He will be staying on his heart meds.  but is doing fine.  All 22 pounds of him. 

Hope you all will have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Jackie

• BonnieK
    BonnieK Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2011

Morning ladies,

Haven't been here in a long time -- lost my dad in April after his long decline from COPD and heart disease and have been dealing with that.  We've had a lot of losses in the past few years and it all sort of caught up with me.

Is anyone else having trouble with scar tissue/adhesions after surgeries?  I've had 6 surgeries on MX side and now that side of my chest feels like bone and is pretty uncomfortable.  Not sure what, if anything, can be done but wanted to ask if anyone else has experience with this.  Thanks. 

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2011

Hi Bonnie!  I remember you!  I'm glad to hear from you again!  First, did you have hearing loss AFTER Chemo?  I clicked your name, & read that you did!  In fact I just got back from the Costco that fitted me with my Bernafon Veras 9 hearing aids....just a cleaning & checkup.  I have had them for 3 months. 

I lost my hearing after taking Tamoxifen for 12 months.......  I took it for 14, but stopped after I figured it was the Tamoxifen that caused it.....  I went to an ENT, and HE wanted way too much for the Hearing Aids.....I lost 100% "speech recognition" in my left ear, & 50% in my right...."Permanent nerve damage".....But I went to Costco & found the best deal.....Just thought you would like to know.....  If you want to PM me, to ask any more questions, that's great!

I don't know what to tell you about your surgeries!  Geez, I'm so sorry!  Let me see what I can find out, okay?    I'll let you know.....Hugs, you guys, xoxoxoxoxoxo Jeannette

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,510
    edited June 2011

Hey BonnieK et al

Sorry about your recent losses.  There is some information on scar tissue and adhesions after surgeries in the Forum Breast Reconstruction and the thread Skin S.O.S. Scar Remedies

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/756050?page=10 

Hope this helps

Debbie and the BCO team 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Hi Bonnie,  I too, remember you.  I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad.  My mother had COPD so I know that it is difficult to be there when our loved ones must leave us from this disease. 

I hope you will come see us again though I don't think anyone here directly has an answer for your question.  So glad the mods gave you some direction.

Jo....hope you had a nice vacation.  We are in the middle of some rugged hot weather....still trying to decided --- start the a/c or not.  I'll give it till hubby gets home and see what he wants.

Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

a little friend to cheer you Bonnie:

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

In spite of unseasonable wind, snow
    and unexpected weather of all sorts -
    a gardener still plants.
    And tends what they have planted ...
    believing that Spring will come.
    - Mary Anne Radmacher

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Joyce....how great to have a pink garden.  I never would have thought of that but then the green thumb I once had deserted me some time back.  I also think it really doesn't get any better that each flower is a gift from a friend holding all sorts of special thoughts and feelings.  Your right....it coudn't be any better. 

Just in case there may be something close though:

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2011

Oh Wow!  I love the picture of that puppy Jackie!  How cute is THAT one?  Ha!  Hope you gals are feeling better this Sunday....

.I've been working around the house, trying to get things ready for when our Daughter & Grand-sons get here next Saturday....So we have been scraping, painting, cleaning, sorting, & man, I'll be glad when they get here so I can take it easy!  Then we can just sit around and talk-talk & laugh, Ha!

Talk to you guys later! xoxoxoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Glad you liked it......do you have Picasa.  You can just right click on the picture and put it into your album if you do.  Chevyboy taught me how to do pictures through Picasa....it is fairly easy, but till she got me going....I was totally clueless and completely hopeless.  Sometimes it is still hard to believe I can do what so many others can. 

Hot and humid here, but went for a sm. walk this evening.  I love to walk.  Hope you all had a wonderful Sunday. 

Hugs, Jackie

• BonnieK
    edited June 2011

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about scarring.  My next stop will be the page suggested by the moderators -- thanks so much!  Jackie -- that puppy picture definitely brightened my day and made me want a sweet little puppy to keep my kitties company. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011
    Love and Harmony Affirmations

Love and Harmony Affirmations

I thrill anew in my embrace of each soul.

In the journey of life my heart is opened wide to greater understanding.

I am a stream of light and new vitality is opening up space for compassion and joy.

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2011

Hey Jo-5 !!!! Long time no see.. How are you doing these days?

• mikita5
    edited June 2011

Jo: I'm doing good also... I'm only 2 yrs., 3 months out.  Have lots of pain in the (once) cancerous boob, but I'm assuming that comes from scar tissue or nerves mending.... Have lots of lumps which I guess is neucrosis, so I wonder how on earth I'd know a new lump if one popped up! 

Anyhow, getting ready to go to DC Thursday with some of hubby's vietnam comrades (to the WALL).  We've been 3 times but some of the guys have never been . Hubby found several of the guys he fought with, then they found some, etc etc.... Now we have a yearly reunion and are still trying to find more of the soldiers. They're dying off quickly these days, so each new one they find is a great feeling.... They're like little boys....especially the day they saw and hugged each other after all these yrs. (32-33 yrs)!

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2011

Hi Mikita!  I've seen your name somewhere, but don't remember where, ha!  That is so great that your are going to the WALL on Thursday...It has to be very moving for you both.   Like going to see "family" I think, that have passed on. 

And Jo....You have been "through" with cancer for a long time!  I didn't know it had been that long for you!  I GUESS I can say "through".....  I haven't had a hard time at all, and I remember when you answered my first post, after I had been diagnosed....I was soooooo afraid....But after awhile, listening to all the women on this forum, really helps "new" gals get through it....So thanks again!  I like your "Smell the Roses" poem....I think as we get older, and maybe been through a lot, we really appreciate the "little" things....I know I do... Every morning is such a gift!

Hi Sweet Jackie.....I'm still working on that picnic table, & it's really looking good!  It is a 10 foot one, Sooooooo heavy, & I think it's built out of cast-iron! Wink Got most of the paint peeled & sanded off, & now have the first coat on it...kind of a Red-wood color.   I think I'll cover the benches, with plastic, to keep any splinters from finding someone....Undecided

Okay gals....talk to you later! xoxoxoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Jo....that little poem .... I loved it.  I really do believe we should smell as many roses as we can.  Life takes some turns and sometimes you forget what is right there for the taking......and life should be full of fun, joy, peace, and lots of blessings.  I think that should be on a wall plaque so you could read it everyday. 

Saying hi to Bonnie and Joyce and Chevy......good for you and that picnic table.  It does sound well-made.....quality that is sometimes hard to get now-days.  Good for you taking care of it. 

Mikita.....good to see you here too.  I'm three yrs. out now and though I have a few things to deal with ( all pretty minor actually ) I enjoy life and see most of what I do as an adventure of a sorts.  I hate to say....I think bd ( before diagnosis ) I was in a bit of a rut.  I think I got a great big eye-opening jolt and have learned to appreciate, tolerate,sometimes hesitate, and meditate anew. 

I was in the service ( though I did not go overseas ) in part of the Vietnam era.  64 to 66.  I was young and did not see the intolerance shown to our service people that had been there.  There were and are some mighty strong men......and the wall is very moving to see.  I hope you are able to find a few more of the soldiers......they are special people......all of our military are, but I think of those in Vietnam as most did not get a hero's welcome home like they should have.

Hopefully, my computer woes are over.....our carrier had something that needed adjustment and at the same time as they were working.....we ran all new lines....so hope we "stay on" now.

I'll see you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Twelve Rules For Happiness:

Happiness is a habit, a by product of right thinking and living.

1. Live a simple life. Be temperate in your Habits. Avoid Self-seeking and selfishness. Make simplicity the keynote of your daily plans. Simple things are best.

2. Spend less than you earn. It may be difficult, but it pays large dividens in contentment. Keep out of debt. Cultivate frugality, prudence and self -denial. Avoid extravagance.

3. Think constructively. Train yourself to think clearly and accurately. Store your Mind with useful thoughts. Stand porter at the door of your mind.

4. Cultivate a yielding disposition. Resist the common tendency to want your own way. See the other's viewpoint.

5. Be grateful. Begin the day with gratitude for your opportunities. Be glad for the privilege of life and work.

6. Rule your moods. Cultivate a Mental attitude of Peace and goodwill.

7. Give generously. There is no greater Joy in life than to render happiness to others by means of intelligent giving.

8. Work with right motives. The highest purpose of your life should be to grow in spiritual grace and power.

9. Be interested in others. Divert your mind from self-centeredness. In the degree that you give, serve and help, you will experience the by product of happiness.

10. Live in a day tight compartment. That is live one day at a time. Concentrate on your immediate task. Make the most of today.

11. Have a hobby. Nature study, walking, gardening, music, golfing, carpentry, stamp collecting, sketching, voice culture, public speaking, foreign language, chess, books, photography, social service, travel, authorship. Cultivate an avocation to which you can turn for diversion and relaxation.

12. Keep close to God. True and enduring happiness depends primarily upon close alliance with him. It is your privilege to share his thoughts for your spiritual nourishment and to have constant assurance of divine protection and guidance.

-Grenville Kleiser

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Jo, I loved your description of  "your roses".  I think I have many of the same.  I'm really in love with clouds.  I/we lived in southern California for 25 years and there wasn't any clouds.....once in a while some very slight wispy vapors, but here at home there have always been those big billowing clouds that form shapes.  Tall trees all with different bark on them, a pot of flowers, bees visiting a honeysuckle grove, the smell of freshly cut grass, and one of my all time favorites is being near any moving water.  All my cares and problems get on the waves and drift far, far away.  Spend a half an hour there and I come away much lighter and ready to tackle anything.   

Scorcher here today.    We are having weather right now that we normally get in August.  It should start settling down some after the week-end. 

I hope you are all going to have a wonderful day.  I'll be back later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2011

And I love mornings!  While it is still a little dark, and the birds are all calling me to come outside... I go out & sit at the picnic table with my coffee & just listen.... Then just walk around my gardens, & water, & see what's "different" about this morning.  Sometimes I see a little mouse running along the fence, trying to find his place to get back under & go play in the ditch.  It's no wonder, because of all the scraps I throw over there...But we also see little Foxes, Raccoons, and lots of birds! 

Okay...gotta get ready to leave....talk to you later! xoxoxoxo

• mikita5
    edited June 2011

Hey swimangel,

Long time no see!  How've you been doing?

• mikita5
    edited June 2011

Jo5,

"You will know when you find something hard as a brick - these firm multiple lumps are scar tissue - and you will be able to tell the difference."

I've never been told that.... Thanks!! It seems, tho, that I find a new lump every week. I've only had one ultrasound on one lump and oncologist says it's just a cyst (I think it's neucrosis)...It hasn't grown any so I guess it's good.

I'm sorry you still have all the problems.  You'd think since we had to go thru the BC, we'd get a break!

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Evening everyone.  Ah.....a rocking chair on the front porch/veranda and smelling flowers in the garden.  I think that sounds like heaven to me.  All we have at our house is a deck.  I love it, but it is more of a functional thing.....as my kitchen door opens directly onto it.  Does not have the romance, homeyness and coziness of rockers on the porch.  Sigh!!  Dh and I always talked about having a "nice" porch that could be a mini-gathering place, but we never quite found the right place. 

Dh and I are babysitting my friends dog right now while she is away a few days.  He is a little black and white Sheltie.  He was abused before she got him as he cringes every time I reach down to pet him, but makes no move to "warn me" in any way.  Precious little thing.  He is quite sweet and except for the cringing is playful and happy it seems.  Just by chance....my friends name is Joyce. 

Hope you all had a fantastic day....I'll see you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2011

Morning gals!  Jackie, a Sheltie?  I think he must be a relative of Lacee's, Ha!  They ARE the sweetest dogs... Rescue & abused  dogs just are always so fearful...I'm glad he has a home with your friend. 

Lacee was from a Puppy Mill I think....The girls bought her from a Pet store, but they are so used to being around other dogs & people, that they love EVERYthing!   She thinks the neighbor's cats are her "friends" and even the baby birds that are learning to fly, that she sees scrambling around on the lawn.

Have a beautiful day! xoxoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Everywhere I look I see myself. There I go: that bald man, this angry child, that fearful cat, that cool stone, that bubbling brook, that worm struggling for its life, that bird desperate to feed her hungry babies, that one trapped in his rage, this one anxious but fearful of finding out why. Hardly strangers! Empathy is the life of the soul, I think, because the soul that allows us to see the one in the other is the soul that finds joy.
    Claudia Michele
  • illinoislady
    edited June 2011

Good morning today.  Going to be quite hot here again today.  Yesterday was hot, but Dh and I took a short walk last night just around twilight.  It was nice.  We took our little dog Teeny.  She is very extroverted and interacts quite well with anyone or anything she meets.  Most of the others stay home as while they are ok......they aren't quite at outgoing and Baby Boss for all his bravado here has been known to "run" home so we have learned. 

Was just thinking about the above and I think we are all pretty much exactly where we are supposed to be --- even though we may not be thrilled with some parts of where we are.  I do finally find joy is many things......and I do know that one should laugh every day and several times a day if possible.  I don't have any figures on the study, but there is proof that even when we force laughter......it helps tremendously to keep us healthy.  I mention this because it is something we all could do --- even when we don't totally feel it. 

I hope you are all going to have a marvelous day and I hope it is not too hot.   Just keep drinking water. 

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2011

I found this picture of my deck.  I love being out in the woods though you can't much tell it by this picture.....that part is heaven to me.  There are deer, possums, raccoons, foxes, chipmunks, and all sorts of wildlife around. 

• BonnieK
    edited June 2011

Hi,

I read the thread about scarring and am interested in trying the Tropol-Active S to see if it helps.  The other thing I learned is that, aside from an angry red scar 7 months after surgery, I have adhesions over much of my left chest, and it feels like bone, is tight, and is somewhat painful to the touch in places.  Not sure what, if anything, can be done about that, but plan to ask my doctor the next time I visit.  After radiation and 6 surgeries on that side, so it's no wonder there are adhesions!

It's overcast and mild here in Oregon today, so I'm off to do a little gardening and enjoy the day.  Have a beautiful day everyone.