Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2011
    good luck on your mammo's tomorrow, illinoislady.  
  • Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2011

Morning gals....Yes Jackie....I know the Mammo's will come out good also!  But it still just makes me shiver every time I have to go....Undecided  Mine is in November....and hopefully after that my PCP will see everything is still alright, and from then on she will take over my care just with the annual physical, blood work, & ordering the mammograms.    That way I won't have to see either an Oncologist or the Radiologist.... It's my choice...but I'm not taking Tamoxifen any longer, so my PCP will just take over....  It's been 2 years this month, since I was diagnosed!  So it's so great to have all that behind me! 

I have been working around the gardens, taking down all the tomato plants, cleaning up and getting ready for Winter.  It's kind of a relief, after working so hard making everything grow, and eating all of those huge tomatoes, but it is all worth it!!  Time to rest now, ha! 

Marcha!  So good you are doing alright!  You really do have a great attitude!  I think that takes us a long way.... 

Hi YaYa!  you too!  Glad to see you are here!  Hope you gals have a nice week....

xoxoxoxo

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2011

I just thought I would post this link....It's about Suzanne Somers.... She has been promoting her books, talking about breast cancer, & how she likes to promote herself as an authority...But I think I read somewhere that even BC.ORG does not endorse her ideas....

Anyway, this is an interesting article on her theories....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/blogs/the-human-condition/2009/10/23/breaking-health-author-suzanne-somers-mostly-wrong-about-science-medicine.html

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2011

I just finished reading her book "Knockout".  IMO it was filled with valuable information that I would think anyone facing a challenge with cancer would want to explore.  She does not claim to be the expert at all.  In the book she interviews a number of doctors who practice alternative, integrative, nutritional and other types of therapies that assist in managing and/or preventing cancer.  There are testimonials from people who have used these therapies to manage their cancer diagnosis, and many are living years beyond what they were told. For her personal choices, she is an advocate of alternative therapy, but presents the other side as well, with doctors who work with oncologists to supplement conventional treatments, to keep the patient healthy throughout the process.

I am still going through the process of evaluation and diagnosis, so I want to learn everything I can about having the best possible outcome.  If my final diagnosis is positive, then I have gained a wealth of information about cancer prevention going forward, starting with better nutrition and supplementation.

I've always been one to explore every option...it's just the way I am. 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,491
    edited October 2011
    Where you end up is not the most important thing. It's the road you take to get there. The road is what you'll look back on and call your life.
    --Tim Willey
  • illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Ok....I lost a whole post.  Anyway wanted to let you all know I had great mammograms and don't have to go back for another yr.  I was definitely doing a happy dance all the way home from Carbondale. 

Chevy....I am going to read that article you left the link for.  I seem to recall that their was quite a  stir a few yrs. back with S. Sommers.  This isn't her first book or article.  My memmory may be faulty about this as I myself did not have cancer at the time and never dreamed I ever would -- so I probably didn't get very immersed in what she had to say then, but if I do recall......she came across poorly in regard to women who were choosing traditional protocols that had proofs to back them up and she did not have accepted studies for what she felt was the right thing to do. 

This disease is not a one size fits all......there are even some women who can do nothing about their cancer ( if it is a certain kind ) and they will die a natural death many yrs. later from something else as the cancer remisses and does not come back.  The whole problem is that no one can predict outcomes......so traditional therapies and protocols are fine for a lot of women, but there are some women who will do fine with something different --- some type of alternative.  I am fine with that.

For me, I had such trust in my medical team that I could have read a hundred books, but my gut instinct was to do what they said ----- I think if you have time to explore many other things that would be fine, but I had no time and so I prayed for the ability to "see and understand" if something was right for me.  I felt that I had to pick correctly the first time --- and I was quite right about that.  We did find during my lumpectomy for a non-aggresive tumor that there was a second hidden, much larger agressive one.  That was all the proof I needed to go full steam ahead. 

This is just my story though -- which so far as worked out quite well for me.  There is only one thing I might have done differently.....and it is somewhat minor.  I took my chemo at the V.A. Hosp.  I didn't realize it would basically be all men there......in hind-sight I could have gone through the Women's Breast Center and probably ended up somewhere with other women.  I think it would have been far easier mentally in many ways --- but I made it through anyway.  I'm 55 pounds lighter than when I started, and I'm 65 and still don't need to dye my hair.  All my blood tests are great and I can still work 12 to 14 hrs. a day if I have too......but I sure don't like too. 

Anyway....we do need as much information as we can get, but sometimes you just may find that all you can do is listen to the small voice inside that knows what you need to do.  I got most of my information after the fact, but I really woudn't have changed a thing.  People do everything right most of their life and they still get cancer....and others never really do much of anything right and they are fine. 

Well, ladies....I'm off to a great recliner.  I'll be back here tomorrow some time....See you then.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2011

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/suzanne-somers-knockout-spreading-dangerous-misinformation-about-cancer-part-1/

Morning gals!  My Daughter was telling me to read the "Knock-out" book also, but I had heard a lot of conflicting reports about Somers and all her books & gadgets & promotions... She IS right about taking good care of yourself, like enough sleep & eating right.....BUT she seems to think that she is the only one that knows how to take care of yourself after cancer.   And that women should not go into further treatment......

And as far as chemo....This has save thousands of lives!  I'm like you Jackie, if, after my surgery my team advised chemo, I would have gone full steam ahead also!  I just don't think she should tell other women that these "proven" treatments will kill you....And looks like I'm not the only one that thinks she is way out of bounds here.  There are a lot more articles about how she is mis-leading the public about ALL kinds of cancer.  I just wonder how she became such a self-proclaimed authority on all types of cancer, without any education!  She talks about coffee enemas...YIKES!!!  This is for Pancreatic cancer, & who knows what else! 

But it's like my Daughter's friend that opted for no further treatment after her lumpectomy, even though her nodes were found cancerous...... She & her Husband chose to just go on living, then go see "John the God" in Brazil to be "healed".   After this "treatment" and waiting one year, the cancer has now spread to her bones & lungs.  She has now under-gone chemo, and now starting radiation.... And she can hardly walk.  She was talking to me about this, and just wondering if she SHOULD have been more aggressive in the beginning....

I just said, "Well who knows, sometimes you just have to do what your heart tells you"....It was way too late for me to say "Why didn't you do what your team wanted you to do?"   And I feel so bad that she was afraid to do chemo in the beginning, and wanted to trust this Quack, for an easy way out.... And all that time ...... her cancer spread....

I know, it IS our own choice what we choose to do when we have this cancer diagnosis...BUT since I am not the surgeon, nor the Radiologist/Oncologist, I TRUST them to take care of me as they have been trained to do....  I can help myself by eating right, and exercising....And taking supplements & vitamins ..... But I know I'll always trust my "team" to take care of things that I know nothing about.

Other than that...what else can we talk about?...Wink xoxo

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited October 2011

I am adding to the "one size does not fit all" theme.   I had 6cm tumor, dose dense neo adj chemo zapped the dickens out of it, so lumpectomy got clear margins.   I am 3 1/2 yrs since dx and NED.

However, my DIL mom had 1 cm tumor, opted for immediate mastectomy, no chemo needed at that time.    Less than 6 months later she had chest wall involvement, more surgery, doing chemo now and radiation will follow.    She and I are about the same age (senior citizens)...    

If there was a magic formula, wouldn't that be great???   unfortuntely there are so many factors in BC, not just you have it or you don't.    Hormones, Her2, etc, etc.    Mind boggling, in my opinion.  In a lot of ways I liken it to a pregnancy - how you "got it"...,( planned or not ),  the side effects (hemorroids, excessive weight gain, pre eclampsia, nausea, acne, diabetes, etc).  then the potential for C section.   Again, no two are alike.        

Finding a good doctor, team of doctors, following their advise and/or treatment schedule, doing all you can to get through it with minimum side effects.   And hoping for a positive outcome.    

Listening, reading, asking questions - all normal and part of the plan.  But in the end, it is our decision and we are the ones who need to feel comfortable with it.    

Hugs and Blessings all around,   Nancy 

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Choices are the hinges of destiny.  ~Attributed to both Edwin Markham and Pythagoras

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Morning Nancy.....so glad you chimed in.  We do need to look at all sides of things......and I doubt whether you can have TOO much information for the most part.  I'm not and I think never have been brave enough to go against something too much with a proved record --- this would be even more so if I'm betting my life. It is wonderful to be a pioneer if you can  --- but cancer txs. are still in that form as well.  There are long range trials going on all the time and many women opt for getting into some of these trials.  That and many other scientific studies will hopefully help find the right path. 

I have to say though to me.....enemas are good for one thing.....and we all know what that is.  I think in the early 20's and maybe 30's, I think it was fashionable to have  ( I'm not sure if I have this totally right ) high colonic.  But that is what it was......a "cleansing"  enema.  I imagine there are some benefits to this --- I really can't conceive removing cancer is one of them.  Every Oncologist in the world would have this as a protocol.....after all Dr's and their families get cancer too. 

I do think though it is wise not to cut yourself off from any information you can get.  It just bothers me a bit when "celebrities" or former ones ( mainly because they have in many cases established a certain rapport with people in advance so to speak ) become an authority.  I guess I want credentials and pletny of them.

Hate to blab and run but I looked up and I have to get out of here and get to work.  Be back with you all tonight.  Have a fantastic day everyone.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited October 2011

Congratulations Jackie!  All the best to you, as you are an inspiration to everyone on this site!

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  John Wayne

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

It is going to be another beauty of a day.  I have been watching leaves come off our trees.....falling gracefully down to the ground.  Really signals the fact that lots of work is on the way to get and keep our ground clean. 

I always think of bon fires and wiener roasts, and smores' this time of yr.  The smell of burning leaves.....which we are allowed to do if we want to out here.  We don't much bother as we can blow them down in the big ravines on either side of our home.....but the smell often drifts from others who do more of it. 

I am so thrilled to be where there are definite seasons.....something we missed for the 25 yrs. we lived in California.  There is something akin I think to Circadian rhythms and seasons I think and though winter seems to drag on a bit some yrs.  I'd rather have it then not.  It completes something in me that is needed. 

I hope you all have a wonderful day and are able to enjoy Fall if you are having it now.  See you later.

Hugs, Jackie

p.s.  thank you Kaara.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited October 2011

Jackie, I too love the changing seasons and think of the weiner roasts and bon fires this time of year.  Growing up that was the things we did as kids.  Even the school had bon fires for the football games.  My birthday parties were usually a weinie roast.  So much fun.

Am so thankful your mammo was "good".If you get the opportunity please post some pictures of your cats. love sherry

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2011

Hi Gals....I've been watching these cute videos of cats turning on a vacuum, and especially if you click on the video about kittens in water....It is really funny! 

It's getting dark here, and supposed to maybe rain later, and snow up in the High Country!  So my electric blanket will feel good tonight, Ha! 

Do you guys remember Hay rides?  And Necking under the moon-light & falling in love?  Well at least for the night....Wink  I think these were sponsored by the church, and even kissing seemed so "naughty".... I used to rake the leaves here, and put them all in huge piles & let my Grand-sons run & jump in them!   That was fun for all of us..... But Winter?  I just don't like to be out in it...not driving around....I like to watch it snow....and Lacee loves to lay in it & let it bury her.... That is her favorite thing to do!   

Good to see you Spar!  How are you doing?  Take good care! xoxo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/29/kittens-scared-of-vacuum_n_987448.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C100617

• Kaara
    edited October 2011

Yes..we heard from the kids...it's officially snowing in Vail!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,106
    edited October 2011

Hi, everybody.  DH and I are back at home after our four months of travel in Canada and Alaska.  We had a great trip.  Now it's good to be home.  I am trying hard to lose the extra weight I gained this summer.  We did a lot of walking but we also ate halibut fish and chips and the lbs. crept onto my body.  Gaining is so much more fun than losing!

I hope everyone had a good summer.  We really suffered from the heat and humidity when we got home.  It was so nice and cool in Alaska.  We wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts and often wore jackets at night sitting out by campfires.  I'm very ready for some cool fall weather.

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Sherry.. this is one of the few pictures I have right now of my motley crew here in the forest.  I would love to get more  pictures and hopefully can get hubby to help one of these days. 

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Carole.....welcome back.  What a great adventure.  I know Alaska has so much beauty.  We had friends that lived there.  Tried it in California for a yr. but just couldn't take it....packed up and moved right back there.  Hopefully Fall will come soon and you can get out the wiener roast fixin's and go for it.  We still like to have a couple of cook outs around a fire pit this time of yr. 

Wow !!!! snowing in Colorado.  I guess their Fall came early, huh !!!!  I do enjoy winter time but I don't want it too soon.  Or maybe I should say I want to acclimatize along the way so that nothing is a big shock.

I do remember the hay rides and discovering boys --- though it was a small town so not too much dating for me.  So many were the guys I climbed trees with or other things like that.....they became life long friends, but back in those days we were so close as friends it would have seemed like dating your brother. I did date a little --- guys from the next town over now and then, but never a hayride. 

I have to tell you....I was a lot smarter then.  In fact, I knew nearly everything.  Wish I still did !!!

Anyway....another long day under my belt and I need jammies and my recliner.  See you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2011

Morning Gals!  Well it almost rained yesteday, ha!  Like Winnie the Poo would say, "It was a blustery day!"....But no rain or snow here in Denver.... I was kind of anxious, because everything is sooooo dry now.  It's only 42 degrees though...So going to stay cooler.

Welcome back Carole!  What a beautiful trip you guys had....I'll have to go back & read it.... You are a great story-teller!  And yes, pounds are much more fun accumulating than trying to shed...Wink

We went to Denny's the other morning for Breakfast, & they have these little "pancake balls" or something....with strawberry bits in them, deep-fried, like fritters, and served with whipped cream cheese, and they were the best, cutest things I have ever seen!

Jackie, I think when we were just girls, things were sooooo different!  We never went to a bar, mostly because I didn't drink, but we went to hamburger drive-ins...Never went to "parties" unless it was for Halloween, but we would go to movie theatres... But DH & I met when we were 18, married at 20...So there wasn't much time in-between, ha!   But we DID used to go out and "neck" Wink....Ha, ha!  That's all, or mostly all there was to do!  Remember those drive-in movies?  I don't think I ever watched a movie until we got married & had kids, & took them with us!  WinkSealedTongue out 

Now there are clubs, parties, and so much more entertainment than there used to be.  Not to mention 1000 ways to get yourself into trouble with all the drugs and technology.

Okay....till we meet again...xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011
    Circumstance does not make the man: it reveals him to himself.
    - James Allen
  • illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Good morning and it is one of so many memories.  We can't live in the past, but how much fun to recall many of the meaningful parts and much of the fun of growing up.  I recall playing hopscotch for hours on end with my friend.  I also became really good with the home-made stilts we had.  Same goes ( though it wasn't home - made ) the hoola-hoop, shoe roller skates etc. 

We did things then.....and most were fairly physical.  No Game Boy on the t.v. and certainly no computer.....we were outside in the fresh air expending huge amts. of energy.  I grew up in a somewhat idyllic place/town.  There are almost only mobile homes there now....almost my entire home town has become like a trailer park......but it was so nice back then with stately trees and little pockets of wooded areas.  Pretty much all dirt roads and a few ponds --- and everyone there, poor and not so poor alike lived in a house.  The streets had no names as they do now and I was 18 and leaving just as they finally built a City Hall that would double as the place to have events....birthday parties, wedding receptions etc. 

My whole thought pattern is.....this is so much a part of who I have become now at 65.  I'd like to go out right now, find my friend and play a little hop-scotch. What a hoot that could be.....if I could stay on my feet through it all. 

I hope you all enjoy some nice memories today.  They help make you who you are.  I'll be back later.

Hugs, Jackie 

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2011

Second day after 4th Taxol, doing OK.  Got some rest last night.  Dr. said he would give me some sleeping pills, guess I may need to get them for Thursday nights, 4 hours does not get it.  Not doing any more than I need to.  Say we may get some rain in West Texas this weekend.  Sure hope so. Chevy did you get snow in Denver?  Have to go to my Primary Dr. on Monday and get my Flu shot, have never had a problem with the shot hope this chemo does not make a difference.  Take Care and have a good day.  Monarch butterflies are migrating through our mountains right now how beautiful

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2011

Ooooh, it's cold here!  It's 38 degrees, raining, but so far, no snow here in Northwest Denver.  We are about 10 miles from Golden, and the foot-hills, and they are getting up to 10 inches today and tonight.... The High Country is getting much more, and down around Southern Colorado....So it's a'comin!   Parts of Denver are seeing snow, but just not here yet...Lacee keeps sneaking outdoors, and laying down, & crossing her toes to see snow!  She gets soaked, so I have shagged her little hiney IN here 5 times now....Ha! 

I made a couple of those "draft" things for under the two doors..... I make them with "foam" rubber, folded, then those things go under the door, & the foam inside the cloth on both sides, really work good. 

Then I had to hem my sheers, because they were too long and the furnace would blow them.

I have those deflectors, but I had to hem them also.

Marcha....glad you are doing better....Yes, it's always nice to sleep...Undecided  I had my flu shot also, when I had my physical last week... Did you gals get a shingles shot?  I had one last year, also a pneumonia shot.   Never had any problems with any of them.

I love Monarch Butterflies!  We only get a few here, like about 3 weeks ago, but I think they have headed for warmer territory.... I think ALL the bugs are gone by now....

Okay....Hey Jackie....you are still so young!  I don't feel any older, psychologically, but my bones think otherwise.....Wink   You know what's hard?   Getting down on your knees & laying flooring, & wall-boards, & just getting up & down, up & down!   Or cleaning out my lower cupboards, like they used to build in these older houses.... I think everything works much better when you are younger!

Hope you gals are doing alright today..... take good care...xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Long day for me today.  I didn't see a quote, but did find something I've seen before that I think is quite a beautiful story.  And I do remember "Information".

THE OLD PHONE ON THE WALL.... HELLO

When I was a young boy, my father had one of the first telephones in our neighborhood.... I remember the polished, old case fastened to the wall. The shiny receiver hung on the side of the box. I was too little to reach the telephone, but used to listen with fascination when my mother talked to it.
    Then I discovered that somewhere inside the wonderful device lived an amazing person. Her name was "Information Please" and there was nothing she did not know. Information Please could supply anyone's number and the correct time.
    My personal experience with the genie-in-a-bottle came one day while my mother was visiting a neighbor. Amusing myself at the tool bench in the basement, I whacked my finger with a hammer, the pain was terrible, but there seemed no point in crying because there was no one home to give sympathy. I walked around the house sucking my throbbing finger, finally arriving at the stairway. The telephone! Quickly, I ran for the footstool in the parlor and dragged it to the landing. Climbing up, I unhooked the receiver in the parlor and held it to my ear. "Information, please" I said into the
    mouthpiece just above my head. A click or two and a small clear voice spoke into my ear. "Information." "I hurt my finger..." I wailed into the phone, the tears came readily enough
    now that I had an audience.
    "Isn't your mother home?" came the question.
    "Nobody's home but me," I blubbered.
    "Are you bleeding?" the voice asked.
    "No,"
    I replied. "I hit my finger with the hammer and it hurts." "Can you open the icebox?" she asked. I said I could.
    "Then chip off a little bit of ice and hold it to your finger," said the voice...
    After that, I called "Information Please" for everything.. I asked her for
    help with my geography, and she told me where Philadelphia was. She helped me with my math.

She told me my pet chipmunk that I had caught in the park just the day before, would eat fruit and nuts..
    Then, there was the time Petey, our pet canary, died.. I called,

Information Please," and told her the sad story. She listened, and then said things grown-ups say to soothe a child. But I was not consoled. I asked her, "Why is it that birds should sing so beautifully and bring joy to all families, only to end up as a heap of feathers on the bottom of a cage?" She must have sensed my deep concern, for she said quietly, " Wayne , always remember that there are other worlds to sing in."

Somehow I felt better.
    Another day I was on the telephone, "Information Please." "Information," said in the now familiar voice. "How do I spell fix?" I asked. All this took place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest . When I was nine years old, we moved across the country to Boston . I missed my friend very much.
    "Information Please" belonged in that old wooden box back home and I
    somehow never thought of trying the shiny new phone that sat on the table in the hall. As I grew into my teens, the memories of those childhood conversations never really left me.
    Often, in moments of doubt and perplexity I would recall the serene sense of security I had then. I appreciated now how patient, understanding, and kind she was to have spent her time on a little boy.

A few years later, on my way west to college, my plane put down in Seattle .. I had about a half-hour or so between planes. I spent 15 minutes or so on the phone with my sister, who lived there now. Then without thinking what I was doing, I dialed my hometown operator and said, "Information Please."

Miraculously, I heard the small, clear voice I knew so well. "Information." I hadn't planned this, but I heard myself saying, "Could you please tell me how to spell fix?"
    There was a long pause. Then came the soft spoken answer, "I guess your finger must have healed by now."
    I laughed, "So it's really you," I said. "I wonder if you have any
    idea how much you meant to me during that time?"

I wonder," she said, "if you know how much your calls meant to me. I never had any children and I used to look forward to your calls."
    I told her how often I had thought of her over the years and I asked if I could call her again when I came back to visit my sister.
    "Please do", she said. "Just ask for Sally."
    Three months later I was back in Seattle .. A different voice answered, "Information."
    I asked for Sally. "Are you a friend?" she said.
    "Yes, a very old friend," I answered. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this,"She said. "Sally had been working part time the last few years because she was sick. She died five weeks ago." Before I could hang up, she said, " Wait a minute, did you say your name was Wayne ?" " Yes." I answered. "Well, Sally left a message for you. She wrote it down in case you called. Let me read it to you." The note said, "Tell him there are other worlds to sing in. He'll know what I mean." I thanked her and hung up. I knew what Sally meant.

Never underestimate the impression you may make on others.. Whose life have you touched today? Why not pass this on? I just did..... Lifting you on eagle's wings. May you find the joy and peace you long for. Life is a journey... NOT a guided tour. I loved this story and just had to pass it on. I hope you enjoy it too. IllinoisLady: To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.
    Diagnosis: 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- [Edit] [Delete]

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

. Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise. -Unknown

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

What a great Sunday morning.  I am looking out and have been able to see a few small parts of our neighbor's house.  That is a most definite sigh that winter is on the way.  I love all the seasons so much...though there is much work to be done in the yard in Fall.  There are a lot of leaves on the ground right now.  Gold, orange and brown...the standard fall colors.....and they smell of dust.  Each season  has a smell to it. 

Marcha...sleep is good.  It is a universal rejuvenator and though I always slept well, I needed a lot more while I was doing chemo.  Your body just needs the healing that comes from pure rest and I am glad you are able to heed this and do what the body needs and pushes for.  It knows so much more than our analytical mind does.  It is part of our inner voice which we don't pay much attention too but at this time and while doing chemo.....we get a nice reminder of how "life" really works for us.

Hope you are all going to have a fantastic day. 

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

"The greatest strength is gentleness."
    - Iroquois Proverb

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,106
    edited October 2011

Today was not much fun.  I had a gynocologist appointment.  The pap smear procedure has become very painful with the complete lack of estrogen.  Now my dr. wants me to come in every 6 months instead of annually because I'm at higher risk for other cancers.

Then this afternoon I went to the periodontist and learned that the laser procedure I underwent 6 months ago at the cost of $700 wasn't a big success.  So the tooth, an anchor tooth for a 5-tooth bridge, is still very much at risk.  In the future I will probably need implants, which are very expensive.

Tomorrow I go to my regular dentist to have my teeth cleaned.  Fun, fun, fun. 

Our weather is still warm.  The highs are in the 80's.  It's usually late Oct. before the fronts come through from the north.

• illinoislady
    edited October 2011

Carole....your right.....you didn't have much fun.  Your Dr. is probably right....and it seems from your description, that the other cancers would be very "fast" if they did come on seeing as how you need testing every 6 mos.  Would there be a period where you could go back to yearly ? 

I generally dislike all dental work. Many of the gals on the Illinois thread I'm on had to have a lot of "dental work" when they got done with their txs, but the majority did have both chemo and rads.  Now I'm wondering if Arimidex could be something of a culprit.  I did not need anything after my chemo and rads, but I've been on Arimidex  ( third yr. getting ready to start in Nov. )  and all of a sudden I have two teeth that are bad and need to come out. 

Guess more reading is in order.  We are having great weather at present but by Wednesday will probably have rain.  My trip to the Marion V.A. Podiatrist will take place in the rain I think.Not thrilled about that. 

Hope you all have a good evening.  I'm off to my recliner before I fall asleep right here.  See you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie