Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,576
    edited September 2012
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
    Buddha
  • illinoislady
    edited September 2012

Think we are getting ready for a pour-down.  There has been a bit of noise out and it is very dark now.  Well, more rain will not hurt us.  Sure glad the week-end is here.  I watched  the Dems convention speeches every night and all of them were superb.  Just a bit tired though after getting all jazzed up just about time to go to bed.  Glad we are through everything.......time will tell how things will go.

Lots of work to catch up on this week-end.  I'll be here in the morning.......when I can sit with my coffee and post like I normally like too in the early hours.  Hope you all have a fantastic night.

Hugs, Jackie

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited September 2012

10 mm is about 1 cm, so  shud be smaller than a marble, but good , about the same as yours was!

Don't know on the surgery, as it hinges on the BRACA trst results , which are not back yet. I agree, want to get it over with. 

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited September 2012

Bonnets, you are right!  I looked up 1mm, NOT 1cm!  So we are very lucky, I think!  My Doc said it was about the size of my small fingrnail...

Did your annual mammogram find yours?  

The seasons are changing, Ha!  It's only 52 degrees out this morning!   Cleaning out my gardens, and putting Summer stuff away today........

• Chevyboy
    edited September 2012
  • bonnets
    edited September 2012

Yes, got a call back on my yearly mammo. I have been seeing the breast surgeon for the last year , due to my  history of my young daughter having had BC. I saw him in June, didn't find anything. Had mammo  beginning of August, call back, redo, sono(nothing on that, bio, = BC . Know a fair amt. about the beast, but only now read that "older moman are more likely to get breast cancer' most of us think the opposite, and if you have a sister, mother or daughter who got it under the age of 50 , you are 50% more likely to get it!" Live and learn!

Yes, smaller , hopefully the better. 

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2012

Clouds are here, so rain is probably coming according to weather report.   The annual Crab Feast at the American Legion is today.   I will either be taking money or passing out drinks and eating a bit here and there.... LOL.   have a great day. 

• illinoislady
    edited September 2012
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
    so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
    The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.
    - Joseph Campbell
  • illinoislady
    edited September 2012

It's a beautiful sunshiny day here.  Had more rain through the night.....too fast, I think, but then as we have had several now.....I think we have managed to get a little water into our ground.  Everyone does seem to have geen lawns again and most are having to re-start mowing cycles.  Our second Fall is not that far off.....actually....we are awaiting the yard machine Dh purchased so we can do the first cleaning of the yearly Fall dropping of leaves, nuts, twigs and other debris that ends up in the yard.  Such a blessing not to have to spend the next two months or slightly more doing yard cleaning and blowing it all into the ravines on either side of our house. 

bonnets, I think we older ladies often do a little better with the BC than the younger ladies.  Not sure why, but partly because some of the possibilities for us just don't have developing time due to our age......and the fact that everything.....including cancer cells tends to slow way down.  Wonder if that means the chemo stays around a tiny bit longer.....doing its job a little better. Anyway, guess the truth is.....the longer anyone lives, the more chance you have for acquiring ANY medical problem. 

Gram.....don't work too hard today.  I think I'd like to be there sampling.  I do like crab on occasion as much as several other kinds of fish.  I don't eat it often enough though. 

Hope you all have a gorgeous day.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,111
    edited September 2012

Gram, lucky you.  A crab feast sounds dee-licious!  What kind of crab?

If there's such a thing as "good" bc, then it's "in situ."  The recovery rate is 99 per cent.  I read that info on a big chart in my bc dr.'s office when I was in a little exam room waiting for the dr.'s appearance.  Invasive is not good at all.  Even if there are no cancer cells in the lymph nodes that are examined and removed, there's always a chance a cell might have migrated into the body via some other route.  Sorry, didn't mean to scare us IDC folks.  If my tumor had been in situ, I probably would have elected lumpectomy.

The wind is howling here in Eden, SD.  The sun is also shining brightly.  It was 52 degrees when I rolled out of bed at 9 am.  Lazy me.  I had meant to walk this morning but didn't brave that gusting wind.  DH and I are on our own today since our friends were signed up for a Lions Club conference at another town.  It feels good to hang out with nowhere to go and nothing to do.  A little while ago I assembled a polish sausage and cabbage dish for the slow cooker.  We could go half a block to Cafe Eden but we've been eating out since we got here.

Yesterday I went with my friend Georgia to a meat market in Sisseton, a neighboring town, where she buys her meat.  The prices were really good so I bought some steaks, ground meat and beef short ribs for the freezer.  We also have 3 packs of walleye filets in the freezer, gifts from Georgia and Walt.  We brought them Louisiana shrimp so it was actually a trade.

Tomorrow we'll be on the move again.

Hugs to all.

• bonnets
    edited September 2012

Did you have a family history or genetic testing, that you elected for a double mastectomy? Thanks.

• bonnets
    edited September 2012

Also wondering if BMX is chosen for pos. BRCA, will most ins. cover it?

• Chevyboy
    edited September 2012

I know you are talking to Carole, but I don't think MY Insurance would cover a double mastectomy, if you didn't need it....I mean if it were for preventive measures....  You'd have to check with your Insurance, if that's what your team recommends.

I have to call tonight, to see if I have to report for jury duty tomorrow!  Yell 

• illinoislady
    edited September 2012
    I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain,
    not to shrink to a grain of sand.
    - Og Mandino
  • wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited September 2012

I think there's some sort of government requirement to pay to make the sides match, even if that means making them both flat. Insurance must cover a lot of bmx and recon because so many people have it. Definitely check with your company.

• bonnets
    edited September 2012

A double is what my Md. is recommending, if my BRACA is pos., that's why I'm wondering.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited September 2012

Woke up this morning to the most beautiful weather...high 50's!  Fall has officially arrived in the mountains!  I have the A/C guy here now fixing my unit which I probably don't need to turn on...lol!  Also had a plumbing problem this morning so had to have someone out to fix that as well!  Ahhh home ownership...aint it grand..lol!

• bonnets
    edited September 2012

Good news, BRACA is NEG! Yay. Go in wed to schedule probable  lumpectomy, followed by rads.

• Chevyboy
    edited September 2012

Oh wow bonnets!  That's one less thing to worry about, right?     Let us know after Wednesday! 

Kaara, I know!  The mornings are really cool here too!   Gets hot during the day, but Wednesday we're supposed to get another cool-down!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,111
    edited September 2012

Bonnets, sorry for not replying sooner.  Congrats on BRCA negative!  I also tested BRCA negative a couple of years before I was dx'ed with IDC.  I do have a family history, though not directly from my mother.  My father's half sister and her younger daughter died of bc.  My aunt's older daughter had bc in situ and is a survivor.  All three, aunt and 2 cousins, were BRCA positive.  Even my aunt's two sons are positive.  One of the sons has two daughters.  My surviving cousin has a daughter who tested positive, and this daughter has had elective BMX and Reconstruction and a hysterectomy.  This is what is recommended for young women who are BRCA positive--after the young women have had their children.  BRCA positive women have an 80 per cent risk of developing bc.

My bc dr. was also my aunt's dr. and my deceased cousin's dr.  So Dr. Lagarde was familiar with the family history.  She also knew I had tested BRCA negative.  She explained my surgery options and I could have opted for lumpectomy.  But that would have meant having radiation.  Plus I was an A cup and I would have ended up looking deformed.  I would also have to endure more mammograms and more fears of another tumor being discovered.  It just made sense to me to minimize my risks of future bc by having the BMX with immediate reconstruction.  One surgery.  Go into the hospital with breasts.  Come out of the hospital with breasts.  The recovery was longer than for a lumpectomy but I avoided radiation.

I was lucky enough to get a low oncotype dx score, indicating lower risk of recurrence.  So I also avoided chemo.

Dr. Lagarde explained to me very gently after I was recovered that people who have one type of cancer are more likely to develop another kind of cancer than are people who've never had any kind of cancer.  She urged me to keep up with all types of screening.  For colon cancer, for example.

On a more pleasant subject, we're in a lovely rv park on the MS river in LaCrosse, WI.  Our truck is undergoing front alignment and is getting new "balls."  Did the rest of you knew trucks had balls?!

Tomorrow we're planning to move on to Madison, the state capitol.  DH wants to see the capitol building.  On Thurs. we'll move on to Milwaukee to begin the first of a series of family visits.  We have not been to Milwaukee before this will be a new  discovery.

It looks like fall here.  Lots of leaves on the ground.  Today is lovely with sunshine and a breeze and temp. in the high 70's. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• bonnets
    edited September 2012

Thanks, Carol. I figured if I  tested positive I wud have the bi with  immediate reconstruction. I did find a group of  drs in my area that have been doing it for about 10 years. REad the paper they published, but for now, if the nodes are clean, ill do  the lumpectomy. Our only history is my daughter, who was 27 at dx, passing at 33.If I get a recurrance, I will go for the double and recon. Didn't think I'd do reconstruction , but finding out about the one step, I wud opt for that.

I know my surgeon, had been seeing him for the last year , due to my  history with my daughter, so hope to get this going soon. See him tomorrow. 

Beautiful here in the HUdson Valley, hubby is out mowing. Guess supper will have to wait. 

• Chevyboy
    edited September 2012

Morning gals!  Jackie, have you been getting the last batch of emails from me?  Maybe something is wrong with one of our servers?  Let me know, okay? xoxoxoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited September 2012
    When you feel worried and depressed, consciously form a smile on your face and act upbeat until the happy feeling becomes genuine.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
  • illinoislady
    edited September 2012

Morning everyone.  Oh it is so pretty....nice and cool in the mornings lately.  I know real Fall will soon start, but have to say this feels like the early part of summer we actually missed.  Still can't believe that the drought and terrific heat began in June and never really let up much until now.  Our lawns are green again and it is mostly pleasant to be outside.  Sigh !!!!  It won't last  long enough for me.

Finally have the new lawn machine....wow !!!!  It went in the truck ( dh had to drive about an hour from here to get it ) in a huge box with a forklift.  Had to be set up on a couple of pallets so it wouldn't crush the wheel wells......and it was a slow drive home.  I was amazed.  But.....guess I should have expected it.....after all it will crush anything in its path more or less....that is eat and mulch ( and the results can be used as mulch ) all leaves, nuts, small twigs and branches that can go into the machine. 

Chevy ---- I am not getting a thing from you.  I guess I will have to call Charter and see what they have to say.  Interesting.....I seem to have plenty of subs, and other email.  Hope we get it fixed.  I need your brand of comfort.

Hugs, Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited September 2012

Good Morning everyone.  We got back from Iowa on Sunday evening.  We had a nice visit.  My Mom is doing pretty good.  Glad we went.  We took Rosie with us and bought her a doggie car seat on the way through Odessa at Pet's Mart.  Wow did that make a difference, it is great, I would suggest it to anyone with a small dog who travels with them. 

DH still having knee and shoulder trouble, will see ortho on Friday and I have my 6 month mamo on friday.  GD is still with us for now.  Daughter in FL.  they are to be married on Oct. 20th unless they decide to elope before.  Future husband was in Louiana on a job and for some reason the company had to shut the job down.  He texted DD and told her she needed to come to LA this weekend and then he walked in the back door.  How funny.  Kind of like what my Hubby would have done in earlier years. 

My sister who was in the motorcycle accident, is doing well, got to see both my sisters.  The trip really wore me out but am doing better today.  Well had better get this work done that I am paid for.

Take Care

• illinoislady
    edited September 2012

Mommarch....always good to hear when parents  ( your mom ) are pretty much holding their own.  I often miss my Mom a lot....while at the same time being glad that she no longer suffers in any way.  You never quite let go though and it always brings me joy to hear good news of someone else's mom or dad. 

I am intrigued about the dog car seat.  We don't take long trips, but Baby Boss ( our Pomeranian ) when going to the groomer's always whines and is very antsy.....not quite hyper as such but still paces a bit too and fro on your lap......don't know if that would help him or not, but I've gotten to dread grooming time for this reason.  I now give him a bath at home, but have to take him for hair cuts now and then and ggrrrrr.

Hope your Dh gets good news tomorrow.  I think aging has some real pitfalls.....only thing good is we older folks have usually enough patience to get thru it.  I hope both of you do well on Friday.  

Good news about your sister too......Even though the trip was wearing....maybe some of that was relief that you saw your sisters and they are doing all right.  I think we can get over-stimulated by any news good or bad. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Jackie 

• illinoislady
    edited September 2012

Here's an interesting take on things:

. The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be - Marcel Pagnol.

• bonnets
    edited September 2012

Surgery tomorrow AM, praying the SLN is negative. 

Hubby  went to the dr. today and has to have a carotid sono. Sure hope its OK, he has had open heart,  followed by gout, then melanoma , this year, now my BC. Had enough. Just start to breathe and something else pops up!Jean