Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,651
    edited May 2013

"Some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear
    beginning,
    middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having
    to change, taking the
    moment and making the best of it,
    without knowing what's going to happen
    next."

-- Gilda Radner

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited May 2013

Chevy, what a mischievous person you are!  I'll be you were a character in school when you were a little girl!

I'm off to the surgery center to have my skin cancer removed.  No coffee or breakfast.  I'll check in later.

Have a good Wed., everyone!

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Morning from very warm this morning southern Illinois.  It is humid warm....not to my liking.  Hot is not very much of a problem to me --- but humid is un-comfortable to me.

For anyone who might have recall for it....Gilda Radner ( married to Gene Wilder ) passed away from OVca.  She was a Saturday Night Live comedienne. This was a good while ago too.

Termite....most of the time we have to respect what our siblings want.  Your sister has likely thought long and hard about this.  I do know that some chemo targeted just to the liver can often eradicate most of the spots/lesions, but it is a personal choice.  Sis sounds like she has opted for as much quality as she can and not prolong an inevitable outcome. 

If anyone tries the grape salad I do hope you like it.  It is so very easy ( I've been for easy most of my life ) and packs such flavor for it.  I'm always looking for easy. 

Mommarch....I'm laughing with Cammie over the 5 yr. old only seeing that a seat belt was not being used.  Sort of makes me long for the innocence we all once had, doesn't it???  Well, I came out of the era where pretty much a handshake sealed a deal........seems like a long time ago now. 

Carole....I think I will have to skip the golf ---  but you sound like it is so much enjoyment for you.  I do envy people who can enjoy what seems complicated to me.  I was never really good at games/sports.  Spent most of my time dancing when I was young

Saying hi to all..............several we haven't heard from lately....hope everyone is all right.  Just a note here on that.  Rita has had some computer issues as of late, but I'm sure will be back here as soon as she can. 

Hope you all have a beauty of a day.

Peace and love

Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited May 2013

Me again!  Hi Carole.... No, when I was little, I was a timid shy little mouse....  It was a difficult childhood, to say the least.... But we all survive, right?  And come out alright, making our own life!

It's just fun to tease some of the gals....and they do the same with me sometimes...   That's what makes these threads so great.... that we can laugh and still cry with some of our friends....  AND we can say things to each other, that we couldn't say to family....

Yes Jackie.... I remember Gilda Radner going through that....  So horrible! 

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited May 2013

Oh jackie I think most of us remember Gilda Radner--I loved Risanna Dannadanna and her outlook on life. I liked her.

Chevy, while Carole is out playing golf, which BTW is a sport that is televised and worth millions to winners, they get endorsements and do so many things making a fortune--I don't recall anything with chichens, pictures and feeding them causing such a stir, and they are not cute that ine looks scary.

Carole tell us when u'r home and how it went for u.

BTW I love Chevy so it's all in fun.

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

So okay miss Cammy!  I assume then you have never seen a chicken play checkers?  Or ring a bell?  Or even sing Jingle Bells? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GaVXoyEzzQ

Just kidding about the checkers....Wink  I don't know that "other" anonymous chicken I posted.... Ha!  And actually I will be Soooooo glad when those neighbors come home!    I'm just afraid SOMEthing will happen to those chickens...! 

I posted on another thread.... my Daughter had a gal come out to put her 19 year old little cat to sleep....  Isn't that the worst?  I mean it's good we don't have to let them suffer, but saying good-by is  just the hardest  thing in the world!  I held them both.... Janie with her "girl."....Wink

Tomorrow will be a better day for her..... 

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited May 2013

Oh yes! Our pets are part of our family. I have held them when the time came and cried over them.

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

That's a striking chicken picture!  Or maybe exotic is the word.

I'm back home, relaxing in my chair.  I have a tight bandage high up on my right cheek, almost to the bottom eyelid.  I'm starting to feel a throb up there.  Maybe time for a tylenol.

The skin cancer was squamous cell.  Learning that gave me a little shock of horror.  My other two cancers on my leg have been basal cell.  The bandage can come off in 48 hrs.  I have an apptment to go see the PS at his office next Tues.  I guess he will take stitches out.  So glad the cancer is gone, especially now that I know it was squamous cell.  The bump appeared and grew fast.

I've been missing Rita.  And wondering whether she's having success in finding a healthy balance.

• bonnets
    edited May 2013

Carole, I know you're glad to have it out. Things shud go OK for you.

Termite, Guess you have to honor your sisters wishes, though it may be difficult for you. I missed saying goodbye to a dear friend who felt the same way. Being on Hospice does not always mean the end is near, she may change her mind , given time. Hopefully she will.

That was some sexy chicken!

Thundering here, sticky and severe warnings posted. From one extreme to the other.

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

Yes Carole.... I had a squamous cell on the tip of my ear.... and also a basal cell in the corner of my eye.... My Daughter has had a LOT of skin cancers.  And DH had the Moh's procedure on his face.... hardly even shows....  I know we are thankful that it wasn't any type of melanoma....

Thanks Bonnets.... Yes, "our other kids!"

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2013

Hi Ladies,

Chevy, that chicken is striking. That is what my hair looks like in the morning after a night of hot flashes!

My sister is 74 and she lives in Texas. We have not seen each other for a few years. Radiation took a lot out of her and she said she has had enough. She was a Stage IV when she was dx  I am glad her family is listening to her choices. Yes. we would love to have her try the chemo and have more time but it is her choice.Carolehalst, I am glad everything went ok for you.

It was a beautiful day today after the morning rain. Hopefully, it will stay like this for a few days.

Have a great evening

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

So sorry for Janie and her special friend.  I can only think she had Janie's love for so long.  I think about the homeless, un-wanted ones that have no one to care for them..................which doesn't make the loss any easier to take, but I think of Janie's little friend....quietly getting out of an intolerable life when she couldn't be well anymore...........and going to the Rainbow Bridge to wait until Janie who loved her will claim her once more some day.  Until her life will be everything it couldn't be here any longer. 

Love never dies, ever.

Peace and love

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Carole I'm glad things are over and it's out, take whatever u need if u have pain and relax.

And again Chevy my heart really goea out for u'r DD.

Termite like was said it's u'r sister choice but I understand how u feel

And please, please stop encouraging Chevy to sho pictures of these chickens, next she'll show a pic of a dinner she made with some kind of chicken and say no it asn't any of them.

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

There is a wise being living inside of you. It is your intuitive self.
    Focus your awareness into a deep place in your body,
    a place where your "gut feelings" reside. You can
    communicate with it by silently talking to it, making requests,
    or asking questions. Then relax, don't think too hard
    with your mind, and be open to receiving answers.
    They are usually very simple and relate to the present moment,
    not the past or the future, and they feel right.

Shakti Gawain

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited May 2013

Interesting post Jackie. In my counseling classes, they stressed over and over to trust that gut feeling. 

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Well my gut feeling is to get Phylogun and shoot the chickens tha t Miss Chevy is probably killing anyway with all the food she's feeding them.

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

AND funny-face Cammi, they are getting fruit flavored cheerios in the morning!  So HA!  It's the last time I will be chickin'sittin' for awhile...Undecided

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Did this checken lay adog?????

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

Yes... It is HER puppy.

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

We had chickens when I was growing up out in the country.  They are STUPID animals.  And cruel to each other.  But I love those fresh eggs.  More stupid than a chicken is a guinea, another sort of fowl.  All these barnyard critters constantly drop poop.  This poop is great fertilizer for gardens once it has "aged." 

Camille, I can see you hanging on to every word of this fascinating discourse!

At the moment I sit in my chair feeling "pooped."  I got up at 7 am and drove to my mother's house to get the contents of the freezer compartment of her refrigerator.  Her electricity was turned off by the power company yesterday when her power box unit was pulled off the side of her house by the weight of the electrical cable.  She spent the night at my sister's house.  Today the power was reconnected and she's happy to back in her own house.

I had plenty of room in a chest freezer so stored the frozen food until this afternoon when I returned the stuff to her freezer. 

For lunch today I took my mother and sister to a restaurant.  So I'm not hungry for dinner tonight.  I'll fix dh something.  When I work up the energy to get out of this chair! 

This incident with my mother's electricity was a reminder that lots of times a crisis will pop up and it's something we never dreamed would happen. 

I'm hoping to feel more like my normal self tomorrow. 

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Carole I was laughing out loud--I loved what u said. U knew I would.

Oh I bet u'r mom was glad ro be home--it's always a better feeling to be where u belong. And I hope u get some rest Carol sometimes u do do alot and sometimes u need to relax.

MY SIL is cooking out tonight the menu---CHICKEN---really--How that Chevy

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

And I was laughing out loud TOO Carole, Ha!  That was too funny!   The chickens aren't really my "friends" but their owners are...Wink  I'm still 1/2 afraid of those things with the beaks and wings and feet.... But today is the last day of chickin' sittin'....  But STILL, they are a lot nicer than geese!

Man, I HATE when the freezer or fridge goes out!  Our refrigerator was not working once, but the freezer WAS.... So after noticing that everything IN there felt the same as everything in our kitchen, we had to go get another one......  So everything is cold, but this "new" one is just not as convenient to use as our other one!  We HAD a bottom freezer, and compared to this top freezer, it's just not as easy to FIND anything.  Oh well...  next time, it will be another bottom freezer.... so we don't have to get down on our knees to FIND something in the refrigerator part!  Wink

Okay..... gonna go muster up some grub for the chickens...

Cammi, wish you were here to help me, Ha! 

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2013

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

As you pray and spend more time contacting your Higher Power, the feeling and conviction may grow within you that much, much more is possible spiritually than you ever allowed.  Regardless of who you are and what you’ve done, an Ocean of Comfort, Love, and Truth is available to you.  You have the power within you to realize God. Michael Goddart

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Chevy .... I love all the chicken stories.  Actually, I do remember from my childhood that the old lady on the corner from us who had chickens....did have some mean ones.  They would peck at your ankles if you went into their yard etc.  I bet the meanest ones often ended up at "Sunday" dinner.

We have had a fridge with bottom freezer for the longest time.  I have always ( of course ) been tall and it was never easy with a regular ( that would be freezer on top ) fridge for me to see and find things.  Of course, at least when i was younger I was a bit more flexible about being able to get to the back of the fridge.

The one thing I did find though ( now that I have had one for a long time ) is that the fridges that make ( maybe they all do now ) the door that just pulls straight out on the bottom are better than the ones that have a door that opens from one end ---  just like the upper door.  If the bottom door pulls all the way out then you can get to the "BACK" of it much better than the one where basically only the door pulls open.  Chalk that one up to the little things you might not think about at the time but they soon start to make sense after you have used your fridge for a while.  My first fridge a hundred yrs. ago had the bottom door that pulled all the way out..............this one, only the bottom door opens. 

Saying a big hi to everyone.  We had a very rainy all night....more today and at least through Saturday I think.  Sigh. 

Hope you all have a wonderful week-end.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

i took the bandage off my incision today and, boy, do I have a shiner.  The incision for removing the skin cancer is close to my eye and the blood pooled.  It feels good to have the bandage off but didn't feel good pulling it off.  The incision itself isn't a pretty sight at this stage of healing. 

I finally got around to buying a gift for a baby shower, which is tomorrow.  The pregnant girl is the daughter of a neighbor who is a devout Catholic and a very Christian woman.  The daughter is about 26 and has been living with the father of the unborn baby.  They plan to get married but NOT before the baby is born.   Because...  Get this...  The pregnant daughter wants to wait and have a BIG WEDDING!  She's an only child and has been very indulged.  She will probably get her big expensive wedding.

Life can certainly be strange, can't it?

DH and I are going to a concert tonight, mainly because one of my golf friends is a member of the performing arts group presenting the concert.  They're doing Beatles songs. 

Hope everybody is having a good day.

• bonnets
    edited May 2013

HOT, HOT HOT and humid! Put the portable airconditioner on in the bedroom for the first time.

We have a bottom freezer, fairly new, 3 yeatrs old. I like them. Shud have gotten a bigger one though.

Went to Red Hats today. Am told our medical Center is having a survivors picnic Sunday. MIght go for lunch. 

Love the chicken pics!

JUst read the stats for marriage and childrem 68% of 20-24 year olds who had babies in 2011, were not married! Guess they don't bother any more. Both  my daughter and my step daughter had babies before they got married. Things have sure changed.

Carole, you can always blame the shiner on your hubby!

• lindsay72
    lindsay72 Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2013

Hi, I just found this forum, but I'm finding the same with this as with others. They start off discussing symptoms and answering each other's questions, and end up like chatty Facebook postings . I feel as if I arrived late to the party!!Laughing

I am almost 74, had dx two years ago, surgery to remove tumor, then another to remove lymph nodes (18 in all), followed by a massive infection in the breast. . After that came radiation, chemo and now Letrizone.  

I just had a mammogram, which I was told was "not worriesome, and to have another in 6 months" .  Also to have an ultrasound to check on what they think is scar tissue still forming.  Mu oncologist is supposed to arrange for that, but doesn't seem to be in a hurry.  I often still have pain and discomfort in the breast. Does anyone else still have pain so long after?

I'm Canadian, from BC, and as long as you get your Tomoxifen or in my case Letrozone, from the cancer clinic, it's free.  Yes, I do know how lucky I am. Bless your hearts, you're all so cheerful!

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Welcome Lindsey we like to have fun, but we can be serious. U had 2 separate surgeries, one for lump and one for nodes---I'm sure someone will be along to really help u but I've usually heard it was all done in one surgery, for some reason u didn't. But u did have chemo, rads and now Letrazone. Well personall I would imagine u could have pain long after this surgery because it got so infected--but whe u ask u'r Dr. what do they say? I have no breasts but still every so often I get a feeling around my upper ribs of tightness and I can feel exactly where my rads where, feels like little knoves poking me. but not all the time. And mine was way before u'rs. U'r mammo is good, but alot of times all the treatment we had leaves a long impression on our bodies and the meds too. But I would still ask. Believe me someone will know more than me----everyone knows more than me so be patient answers will come.