Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited May 2013

All four music groups at the Abita Opry last night were very entertaining. 

DH and I slept late this morning.  I'm planning to take my mother to the 10:30 church service and then we'll drive to Loranger, a little country village in Tangipahoa Parish, about a 30 min. drive.  There we'll have lunch at Chris's Restaurant, which has a buffet with all the favorite high-cal selections.  Fried catfish, fried chicken, roast and gravy, chicken and dumplings, various veggies, and a salad bar.  My mother really likes this little restaurant and I was feeling to lazy this weekend to cook a Sunday meal to serve at her house.

Hope everyone has a happy Sunday.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,629
    edited May 2013

Life rushes us along and few people are
    strong enough to stop on their own.  Most often, something unforeseen stops us
    and it is only then we have the time to take a seat at life’s kitchen
    table.  To know our own story and tell
    it.  To listen to other people’s stories. 
    To remember that the real world is made up of just such stories.  Until we stop ourselves or, more often, have
    been stopped, we hope to put certain of life’s events “behind us” and get on
    with our living.  After we stop we see
    that certain of life’s issues will be with us for as long as we live.  We will pass through them again and again,
    each time with a new story, each time with a greater understanding, until they
    become indistinguishable from our blessings and our wisdom.  It’s the way life
    teaches us how to live.

Rachel
    Naomi Remen

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Carole....if I were there I'd be going to that restaurant as well.  Sounds like a really nice and sort of fun one.  I know I would tend to over-do.  That is something I am really good with......I almost never, ever over-do on veggies, unfortunately.

I hope you just have fun and relax.  It does get tiresome cooking at home allllllll the time.  Enjoy, enjoy.

Warm here today, but nothing really out of the question.  I may do a little shopping.  Had Dh with me yesterday and didn't  really finish.

Hope you all have a really wonderful Sunday.

Peace and love

Jackie

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited May 2013

Good afternoon,

Went to early service this morning. Heard te new interim pastor speak for the first time. Today is gloomy and rainy here. GUess mostly  paying on the computer and reading. Nothing exciting.

Am asking prayer for Paul, a man from our church whose young Mom/daughter is in the final stages of brain cancer and in Hospice. She was diagnosed less than a year ago, with a new baby at the time. Paul is having a very hard time with this. I know what he is feeling, even though it's been almost 10 years since I lost my Amy to Breast cancer.Thanks

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

I know one thing for certain......cancer does not give one care about who you are and it never takes a break.  I just found out another of my friends ( thank goodness he was old -- nearly 90 ) passed away last night.  Just seems like I no sooner leave one wake and it is time to go to another......five people here in just the last 6 weeks or so.

bonnets.....there will be lots of prayers from here .  I long for the old days.....which were right before I got diagnosed in 2007.  I barely knew anyone who had cancer.  Of course, I do hear of many, many more because I choose to be on this cancer forum, but goodness.......it just seems like as of late.......there are more people with some sort of cancer than the other way around and it is really heart-breaking to hear about not only young women, but women with babies and or very young children.  It seems so un-fair.

Peace and love

Jackie

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited May 2013

Good morning Ladies, I got home later tha I planned last night==it was humids here today. Normally the parade is like 1-3 hrs. and hae lilac floats and a lilac queen and her runners up. So it's a big deal around here, it has een for years-With all the shriners and scout troops and acrobats and bands and so so many people show up it's the biggest parade around here.

Of course I'm exhausted people hae parties after too---so today I'm unraveling and resting hahaha

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2013

bonnets:  Prayers for your friend Paul...it's particularly sad when young people are diagnosed with cancer just when their lives are at their peak and they have so much to living to do.  No one should have to deal with this disease but I felt blessed that I was able to live most of my life without having to deal with it.

Jackie:  Your writings are inspirational as always

Carole:  That place sounds yummy...love those kind of restaurants and hope we can find some like that on our road trip.  It's going to be difficult to eat healthy all the time and I'm not going to beat up on myself if I don't...it's only a month out of my life and I can get right back on track when I get home.

Very foggy here today with rain forecast.  Later we head up to my mountain home for the night and then off on our journey tomorrow.  Getting excited...all packed and ready to start this adventure.  We had one little glitch yesterday when we couldn't find the charger for the GPS...oops!  It was under the car seat after looking in all possible places!  My BF was thrilled that he didn't have to accept blame for losing it.  Why are guys like that?  No one was blaming anybody, but somehow he felt responsible...I didn't..stuff like that just happens.  Oh well....

Have a nice day everyone!

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

Kaara, have a great trip!  DH and I stop at diners occasionally when we are travelling.  He loves the plate lunches like meatloaf or chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes.

Our lunch yesterday was very good.  I had a plate of salad and a couple pieces of fried fish and a piece of fried chicken.  Also a small serving of bread pudding.  By then I was full.  That's the problem with buffets. All that food and you can eat only a moderate amt of food.  It was a very nice drive through the country and my younger sister, who lives near my mother, and her dh joined us. 

This morning my mother has an apptment at the pain clinic where she gets her prescription for hydrocodone for arthritis pain.  You have to go to the clinic to get the prescription.  No call-ins to the pharmacy.

Summer is here but the forecast is for highs in the 80's.  No 90's yet.

DH pulled the 5th wheel rv out of its shed yesterday and it's parked outside the house.  So we'll be cleaning it outside and in and getting packed up for departing on June 18th.  Rita, we'll be in Decatur for about a week.  Maybe you and I can get together.  Jackie, I'm not clear on how far you are from Decatur.  It would be great if the 3 of us could get together.

I should get moving.  Hope the day goes well for all of us.

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

When we look for the good in others, we discover the best in ourselves.

Martin Walsh

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Kaara have I great trip and enjoy it all.

Carole our weather is getting close to each other, but it was humid yesterday, kinda icky. And now u'r getting ready to go too--How wonderful==BTW I don't know for sure if Jackie's really in Illinois--her wether is always strange, LOL

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2013

Hi ladies,

Today was my 3rd radiation treatment.  I had #1 on Thursday & #2 on Friday.  I felt like crap over the weekend.  Light headed, rooms spinning, no energy & I was thinking; Already these treatments are effecting me?  I mentioned this to my Rad Therapist & he didn't seem to think it could happen that quickly; so he ordered bloodwork.  You are right about feeling like it's a waste of time; the preliminary appts took so much more time.  I'm usually in & out in about 15 min. but the worst part is laying on that table; it is so hard & uncomfortable.  I only weigh about 92 lbs. & something on that table digs right into my tailbone.  I asked about padding but they said NO!  So now I have to have a sore butt!!!  

Hope everyone is feeling ok!

Linda

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Ouch....about the butt....your symptoms don't really sound like what most people report for rads Linda, but I never discount anything because we all have a body and system that is unique to us.  That said, it sounds like an almost flu-type reaction so I'm wondering.............just hope it all settles doen for you.  Other than the sore spot...the rads are boring, boring, boring.  Maybe if you can think of something ( good music or a really enjoyable time you had somewhere ) to sort of get you through most of your rad session without such deep awareness of where it is starting to hurt. 

Mine wenst so easy and fast ( no pain anywhere ) that I just never thought this would come up.  I hope it resolves and you are okay really quick.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

Linda, it has to feel good that you've started the rads.  Before you know it, you will be finished.  Hope the bloodwork indicates what is causing you to be dizzy.

DH had an expensive root canal some months ago.  The crown on the tooth fell out this weekend.  Now it turns out that he has infection at the root and the tooth has to be pulled.  All that money wasted.  Good thing we have some retirement savings to support all these dentists who aren't saving our teeth. 

Tomorrow I have an eye appointment at 12:30.  Hope I manage to drive home safely after having my eyes dilated.

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Linda I'm sorry u'r feeling so poorly but they'll find out what it is and Ouch is right about u'r tailbone, they probably can't help because u weren't posed that way for the tats and it might be ever so slighty off. So they have to contiue the exact position.

Carole are u supposed to drive ave u have u'r eyes dialated? I thought no for that one.But I know u know what to do. And I'm sorry about u'r DH and all that money for something that has to be pulled.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Camille, you party girl...sounds like such fun...
    Heard you had a birthday on another thread?  Did I miss it? 
    If yes, then Happy Birthday...birthdays are everything....Hugs!

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Joan I am right up there with party time. LOL Since they made Pot legal in ILL now more parties and brownies to come.

OOHH I've got the news on from OK's Tornado--OMG what a horror. So many children. Such sadness.

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Happy Happy Birthday Camille with lots and lots more to follow

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Certainly, in our own little sphere it is not the most active people to whom we owe the most.  Among the common people whom we know, it is not necessarily those who are busiest, not those who, meteor-like, are ever on the rush after some visible charge and work.  It is the lives, like the stars, which simply pour down on us the calm light of their bright and faithful being, up to which we look and out of which we gather the deepest calm and courage. Phillips Brooks

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Thank u Jackie, such a pretty picture.

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

Camille, I took your advice and had dh drive me to my eye dr. apptment.  It was a good thing, too, because the sun was brilliant.  Everything is about the same with my eyesight, 20/30 in the right eye, 20/40 in the left eye.  The dr. said my eyes are dry and I should use artificial tears, but my eyes don't feel dry to me.  But I'll start using the eye drops.  I've been taking a vitamin that she recommended last year.  It has lutein and some other stuff in it.  You've probably seen it advertised on tv.

Beautiful cake, Jackie.  I wish we could all eat a piece of it.  Not the roses or the beads! 

DH went back to the dentist today and had the tooth with the root canal removed.  Dental care has been a major expense the last couple of years.  We'll probably spend a fortune on our teeth and end up with dentures! 

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2013

Hi all,

Happy Birthday to Camille! 

Jackie, I had my 4th rad treatment today; yes, glad to finally get started w/ this.  They didn't have any results from the bloodwork yet.  I just hate that table! I actually put a poise pad inside my jeans today! (horizontally), thought it might cushion me a little but not really. If I had a butt like Jennifer Lopez, I wouldn't have this problem!!!  LOL! 

Carole, sorry to hear about your husband's dental problems.  Last May I was told I needed a root canal but I don't have dental insurance so I just had the tooth extracted.  It was my third one. You're right about dentures but I won't be able to afford those either! LOL! 

Warm here, very humid & thunderstorms for tonight. 

Hope this evening finds everyone feeling good!

Linda

• camillegal
    edited May 2013

Carole I'm glad u had u'r DH drive u--see I'm smart sometimes and talking about dental bills to me is like talking about when I'll visit Saturn for a vacation. It's so much money and I do have dental ins. but that pays almost nothing compared to the prices that they want for my problems.We have a family of atorneys in our family and no Dr.s or dentists what a waste--well if we were criminals it might be helpful but not for me.

Oh all this news and crap on TV and sadness--I wish I drank and alot too. Well they did legalize pot in IL so maybe I can start that to mellow out. And the arguement for brain cells be destroyed WILL be lost on me and no hangover. Hmm just thinking.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited May 2013

Hi All,  Well we left and went camping on May 8th at Goose Island State Park on the Gulf

Coast of Tx.  We had been there about 18 years ago.  Our Son and DIL and family got to come and spend one night and a day, and then 4 yr old GD got sick so they had to leave on Sunday Morning.  We were there 11 days, to long. I am not a good camper.

Our 14 yer old GD caught a 3lb flounder on her first cast, never been fishing before, boy was it good eating.  She was the only one who caught anything to keep.  Hubby caught a shark one morning and cut the line.

I love the coast and the shore birds,  we saw a male and female whooping crane, and lots of dolphin.  We took the ferry to Aransas Pass and 4yr old GD told me cars did not go on boats, boy was she surprised.  

State has denied my unemployment twice, so going for another appeal.  The state of Tx thinks money that employers pay in is all theirs.  If our house was not paid for and we did not have the broom shop I think I would move out of Tx. these days.  

Well hope this finds everyone well, need to go to bed

God Bless

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

Mommarch, sounds like you enjoyed your camping trip even though it was a little too long for you.  That flounder must have tasted great.  I'll bet your GD was thrilled when she caught it.

It's very dark outside and raining.  I got up at 6:30 am when I really wanted to stay in bed.  I was supposed to play golf at 8:40 but guess I'll be doing something else today.  Probably ironing. 

Just called the pro shop to cancel and was told the event was cancelled. 

We needed some rain so I guess we're getting it!  Whoo!  A big clap of thunder.

Hoping we all have a good day.

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Give the best you have received from the past to the best that you may come to know in the future.  Accept life daily not as a cup to be drained but as a chalice to be filled with whatsoever things are honest, pure, lovely, and of good report.
    Making a living is best undertaken as a part of the more important business of making a life.  Every now and again take a good look at something not made of hands--a mountain, a star, the turn of a stream.  There will come to you wisdom and patience and solace and, above all, the assurance that you are not alone in the world.

Sidney Lovett

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Good Morning....we are overcast here, and could get some rain.  Will just have to let the day play out and see.  In the mean-time, it always feels a little cooler when the sun is not out so other than maybe a bit more humidity than is comfortable we will likely have a good day.

Mommarch, if you could actually move, where do you think you would go.  Just wondering !!!!We don't have any intent to move either, but the global warming differences that we are trying to adjust too have me thinking about how it might be here.  Can't be helped I guess for the most part.  Everyone will have changes.

Hope you all have a beautiful day anyway.  Waving hi to Chevy.

Peace and love

Jackie

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited May 2013

Hey Ladies, 

Ended up  a fairly nice day today, a little cooler than yesterday 81 insyead of 87. Was going to weed tonight , til I saw  hoards of chiggers! They are soooo tiny, you almost dont see them , til you get one on you. Guess the weeds will wait. I'm not a gardener. Sprayed the walkway the other day, didnt seem to do much.

Had some bad storms today west and north of us.

Mommarch, don't think of moving up this way, NY taxes you to death. Yes we DO have state income tax, and our gas tax is 30 cents a gallon higher than NJ. A lot of people go there to buy gas. We thought of moving to East TN. but don't think we wever will.

We did mostly diners, drive ins and dives on our Pa road trip. We are not fancy diners. One reason I like to stay at b&b's , you find out the places the locals eat.

Linda, I too was one of the lucky ones, except for coming out a little crispy from the final "boost" I had no other side effects. And I'm well padded enough the table wasn't too bad.

Have a good night everyone.

• carolehalston
    edited May 2013

I got most of the ironing done.  It's mostly touchup pressing, not your old-fashioned ironing. 

Then this afternoon I made pasta.  The "little ears" or orechiette that are made by hand.  No, I'm not Italian but Italian is probably my favorite ethnic food.  I have a book on artisan pasta making and I got the recipe and the technique from this book. 

Funny thing is, we aren't eating the pasta for dinner tonight!  But we will tomorrow night. 

The rain has all moved on.

Chevy, you must be spending all your bc.ort time on the comedy threads.  We miss you. 

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

Yes....we do miss Chevy.   A whole, whole lot.

Peace and love

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited May 2013

God uses simple things and ordinary moments to reveal himself to us, if only we had the eyes to see and the ears to hear him.  Everything has meaning because everything speaks of God and points toward God.  When we see God everywhere, our faith in him grows deeper.  We can see him in the sunrise and in the sunset, in the rainbow and in the storm clouds, in smiles and in tears, in the humblest wayside flower and in the face of our neighbor.  God is always present, but often we are not aware of him because we are so busy running here and there, so occupied with daily matters, that we have become deaf to his voice calling us, guiding us day by day along the path he has chosen for us. Esther Carls Dodgen