Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Mgster
    Mgster Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2013

Happy Saturday all! Di hope you feel better every day. Just think of how great it will be when the swelling is gone. Yes, I am so jealous!

Husband is snoring on the couch with a really bad cold. Now I am sneezing. I have so much to do with Thanksgiving this week and don't have time to be sick. Even though we are all going to my brother's house, I still have stuff to make.

Speaking of pumpkin pie, it's the one pie that is pretty good when you buy it frozen. I like the Mrs. Smith or Sara Lee pumpkin pies. Then you just put some Redi-Whip on top and it's great. I'm going to cook a turkey breast the day before Thanksgiving so we will have some leftovers here. Love the whole turkey dinner! I could eat it for days. My husband likes it that day, but not so much afterwards...so it's all mine!

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2013

So did you guys think that was really ME? Guess not, or you would have said something.... Loopy

Sally, you have nice weather in Sparks today? I looked up your weather and Jackie's.... It's just cold here, but sunny now and then..... Still not nice enough to do anything outdoors though....... I didn't like my first Oncologist, but liked the next one that my Doctor recommended and my Insurance accepted.... But neither one of them spent much time with me.... Someone else took the blood samples, then they only talked.... a little.... I REALLY liked my Radiologist and my Surgeon though...!

We bought our frozen Turkey, for $.59 a pound, so we have a 20 pound one to do something with.... I'll let it thaw out slowly in the garage.... then bring it in like Tuesday to finish.... I'll get my dressing bread, celery & onion sort of ready also.... AND bake a few Sweet Potatoes.... DD is bringing over these "to die for mashed potatoes" from the Kings where she works.... also some of their Cranberry Sauce. And I'll make the Turkey gravy..... HAVE to have lots of Gravy..... for everything.... and for DAYS....

You know, you have to do it the same way you do a small one, so we can send a lot of leftovers home with our "little one".... she is 52...Ha!

I've been making a Turkey every Thanksgiving since I was 20! I just must love to do it! I'm going to thaw out some cooked chicken parts to add to the dressing..... My other Daughter makes her dressing with a whole baked Costco Chicken! Or at least a lot of it..... She loves to make Dinners also.... I know.... my whole family must surely be nuts...... My Grandma and my Mom always took turns making Thanksgiving & Christmas Dinners.... But a Turkey dinner is my favorite.

I think DH will buy a small Pumpkin Pie in a few days.... I USED to bake one.... but we won't eat a whole pie, and it IS a lot of work. I even made one from a fresh Pumpkin once.... just once.... and used that sweetened condensed milk... It WAS the best....

Mgster.... does he take Nyquil at night? That really helps us.... and DaQuil during the day.... My DD said alkaseltzer Plus is what they take. And do you have something like Mucinex for him to take? And maybe a Vaporizer? At least those make me THINK I feel better.... And hot tea!

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited November 2013

Hi ladies,

It's been awhile since I've been on here. I just can't seem to shake this depression I've been having (Yes, I do take an antidepressant ). I have read through some of the last few pages of posts; just wanted to let everyone know that I've had little contact w/ the ex BF. He wanted to know how I was doing & wanted to talk! I have nothing GOOD to say to him!

I had to laugh @ what chevy recommended me to do: smack him in the head w/ a cast iron skillet! I only wish I could; just for some satisfaction if nothing else.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! My Mom & I are going to my sisters' house for dinner; I'll have to be the chauffeur!

It's very cold & snowy here; we are having soup tonight for dinner.

Keep warm & have a good evening.

Take care,

Linda

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2013

Oh Linda! So glad to hear from you again! You didn't smack him a good one? Oh well.... maybe you will get the chance some other day.... SURE he wants to know how you are doing, and probably wants to get toGETHER with you again.... Hah! Too bad Buster!

You know, if you ever do just want to go have coffee with him, you will be sunk! You loved him too much, to just forget him this soon.

Give it at least a year.... See if he is still sniffing after you.... but don't sit back waiting for him to apologize... You deserve someone who won't leave you out on the ice to freeze to death!

We just got over a bout of snowy weather, and COLD! Just stay warm, and YOU have a great evening and week-end. !

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited November 2013

Is anyone else seeing this thread as a gigantic page with huge font? Does anyone know how to get it back to regular size? I know I'm old but this is even bigger than the large print books! :-)

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,704
    edited November 2013

Rita....that is really odd. Go up to that little thingy at the rt. top of your page. It looks like a round gear tooth. Make sure that your setting there is at 100. All it really does is increase size but 100 is more or less standard. If that doesn't do something.....I have a couple of other ideas......the compatibility button may have gotten accidentally toggled some way. These machines just seem as though they feel the need to put us in our place now and then.

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited November 2013

Linda.....I'm sorry to hear you are depressed but easy to understand why. I hope something will spring to life inside of you, but it is taking its time. I agree with everyone else too..........your ex apparently isn't faring as well as he imagined he would with the 'new' dolly. In fact, this soon I'd say he fell right on his face. Another little lesson in watch out what you ask for, you just might get it. Just a shame your in such a state you can't really appreciate that he has made a major faux pas.

I wish I had a good suggestion.....maybe it is age with me or just that my whole family just about has something of a stubborn streak mixed with a stoic desire to keep going no matter what roadblock tries its best to crop up and get in the way.

Also, I have to admit.....I think I've had some somewhat bluish periods, but I've never been actually depressed. At some point whatever is inside of me tends to give me a kick and make me work out of whatever ( apparently light enough ) state that I am in at the time. Not to say I don't sometimes have an off month or two....but it just doesn't reached the level of what I'd call depression.

Wish you had a really GOOD therapist type that could help you see how VERY much I'm sure you are and how to adjust to this turn of events and actually turn it into a way for you to come out the other side really well.

Hmmm, the iron skillet therapy is looking better all the time, isn't it !!!!!

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,124
    edited November 2013

The trip to visit my niece went well even though the weather was nasty with misting rain and temperatures going lower during the day. The first hour we all sat in a large circle in a room and a social worker encouraged visitors and patients to speak their thoughts. A man sitting next to me told of being in prison for 9 years and the various crimes he had committed to get $$ for alcohol and drugs. Another man who seemed to be in his 50's told his sad story. His parents and brother and sister moved away during the night to get away from him. He has no inkling where they are and is completely isolated from family. He said he has only himself to blame.

Most of the people in this hospital have been in and out of detox facilities. I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. One reason I do feel sorry for them is that I enjoy having a couple of glasses of wine or a cocktail and they don't have that enjoyment. One sip of alcohol and they keep drinking until they're drunk. The same with drugs. They can be "clean" for a period of time, maybe a year or more, but once they "use" a drug, whatever it is, cocaine or prescription painkillers, they're in a state of relapse.

My sister and I waited until we had returned to the north shore before we stopped for lunch at an Olive Garden. We had soup and salad. Not to sound critical, but my soup and salad is so much better! After my sister picked up her car at my house, I drove to Mandeville Seafood and bought a quart of shucked oysters to take north to IL at the request of my SIL, the Thanksgiving hostess. She always makes traditional dressing and oyster dressing which is traditional in south Louisiana. I don't remember how she got into making the oyster dressing. I also bought a pint of oysters for my mother. She will bread and fry them and enjoy eating them SO MUCH.

Gulf oysters are expensive now because so many of the oyster beds have been damaged and destroyed during hurricanes and the BP oil spill took its toll, too. Oysters are probably my favorite seafood and my favorite way to eat them is in an oyster poboy. The bread is crusty French bread and the oysters are fried and crispy. I like my poboy "dressed," which means with lettuce, tomato, pickle and mayo. There's always hot sauce on the table and you can sprinkle some on the oysters. My mouth is watering. I may have to go into the kitchen and cook some of those oysters!!

Sorry for rambling on. Chevy, you're looking good-d-d-d-d, girl!

• SallyS70
    SallyS70 Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013

hi Linda JD, I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I hope your Thanksgiving is good. Will your drive be a long one?

Chevy, send some snow here to northwestern Nevada so that younger son's family really gets to use their ski passes this year.

ritajean, when the type gets big, I tap the back arrow on this iPad.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited November 2013

Rita hit u'r central and little- minus next to 10 it will make it smaller and the central and + will makw it bigger

Chevy u r on the OLDER people thread we- all know it must be me with that dark hair silly girl. And I have to say those little critters should be so happy for u and u should call that animal place and adopt them--u take really good care of them, And if a chicken is big enough preten it's a turkey and gobble it up. bwahahaha

Linda sometimes too this time of year with all the happy songs and holidays and u'r hurting from something anything it's worse (I think) it's almost as tho u'r mind has it stored in u'r head that this is not the way u'd thought it would be now--and it's not, on so many levels and unfortunately there is not much u can do about anything right now and I give u credit for holding u'r own, it might make u even sadder??? I'm glad u will be with your family for the holiday tho it will help. (((HUGS)))

• Mgster
    edited November 2013

Chevyboy...yes, my husband takes Nyquil every time he has a cold. He swears by it. I can't stand the taste of that green stuff, but I know it works. They have it in capsule form but he thinks the liquid is better. I do have a large bottle of Mucinex from Sam's Club and totally forgot about that! I will take it out. Thanks!

• SallyS70
    SallyS70 Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013

Okay Carole, now I want a real New Orleans poboy. I can't remember what I had on it; I just remember it was great .... partially because of the little local restaurant where I ate it. The ambiance of New Orleans grabbed me. This was before Katrina; I wonder if that little eatery is still there.

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871
    edited November 2013

on my us tablet I just "pinch" the text to get bigger or smaller.......on my laptop....I use the mouse WHEEL at the same time holding down the CTL (control) key on the lower left of my keyboard

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited November 2013

Up in the right corner of your screen, just below the red X is an icon that looks like a gear. Left click it and go to Zoom. It will show a list of % sizes so you can change the screen font.

• ritajean
    edited November 2013

Cami...Thank you so much! The control-minus worked. That large print was driving me crazy... yah I know it's a short trip....and it was only happening on bc.com. Facebook was fine and so was my email so evidentally I hit something that messed it up. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Chevy, I don't know if my knee is bursitis or not. I've been taking ibuprofrin and it's a little better today but still tender.

We went to a huge craft show today and I found lots of interesting things to buy for Christmas presents. On the way home, it was snowing! Chevy, were't you supposed to keep all that snow out west with you? :-) It was not ticking on the roads but it made me aware that winter is certainly here in Illinois.

Now that I have my computer problem solved I need to go back a page and get caught up! Thanks again!!!

• ritajean
    edited November 2013

Sandra....I don't have a gear shaped button on the top right side of my screen while I'm on this thread so I'm glad the control minus keys worked. Jackie mentioned it also and I seem to remember somebody telling me to do that when I was working in Word. Thanks though for the suggestion. Now I'm anxious to see if this gear-like icon appears when I'm in other programs.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2013

Rita...I think that gear, I also have a star which helps me with favorites ( I can move my favorites list to different areas ) and a little house are directly above my general tool-bar. Right above those "tools" are the minimize or maximize or remove the whole page icons. Computers.....they are great as long as they work ok but for people such as myself that never had to operate one for work ( only while I was in the real estate sales business and that was a little different as it was a whole designed program ) and in fact didn't even start using one until after we moved back home here ( a total of about 15 yrs. ) I just baffled by a lot of things.

I have taught myself a fair amt. of things but on a sort of hit and miss and play with it til' I'm blue in the face method. I am able to use the new BC. Org tool-bar all right. Only because I played with it for quite some time too.

Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited November 2013

We had freezing mist all night woke up to a winter wonderland, earlier it was a freezing rain it has stopped for now. Not driving 20 miles to church tomorrow morning. We lost our electric for awhile, I think we are taxing the grid. We are total electric so that means no heat, no water, etc. Glad we had a

BLT early this evening. I put on a sweat suit to sleep in just in case we loose the electric tonight.

I decided I am only going to dust up floors, clean baths and that is it. By the time kids leave it will be a mess, so why bother.

At least I am feeling better this year. Last year I was a year out of Chemo and feeling bad, I did not have enough strength to cut the turkey or mash the potatoes, thank goodness for my DIL. This year there will only be 5 of us instead of 11, but I wish the others could be here.

Keep Warm

Hugs

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited November 2013

FYI, a lot of senior centers have computer classes and 1:1 mentoring. I think it's about $3.00.

Linda, I feel for you. I have struggled with depression for years. Currently in a good long remission. If they're prescribed by a family doc, you might see about being referred to someone who specializes. Mine didn't work at all until they added a tiny dose of thyroid. My thyroid tests completely normal both with and without the tiny dose. I do agree that all the Christmas cheer may make you feel worse. Or angry.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2013

Jackie, with AOL I don't have a little "thingy" at the rt. top of my page... nowhere, no-how, no way. Not even a "compatibility"?? button.

I love to get online with AOL, and all their features, but this site is the only one that will not let me post pictures, or links.

I have to open Google Chrome, and use GOOGLE... not Bing, to get to BC.ORG, and only then can I post pictures and links, MOST of the time.

So I read the posts with aol, while using my "write" feature with my email, on the left side of my screen.... then when I am all done, posting and adding pictures, I then highlight the whole page, hit copy, then go over to Chrome, to our blog, and then I can paste it.

Talk about "Blue in the Face?" I was so be-wildered ...(shut up CammiI) when they changed all this, because now I have to jump through hoops to do this.... but at least I figured it out.

And yes Linda.... Jackie is so right.... about asking for something because you might get it.... THAT is sooooooooooo true. See, we are all trying gently to steer you in the right path, away from this Mr. troublemaker.

We can't just come out and say... "Honey, you must be living on another planet to think this guy is ever gonna change!" Oh well, maybe we can... image

Just don't go a-gettin' depressed. This isn't worth it. Don't let someone else hurt you... We are stronger than that. I think you should go in some quiet room away from all people and critters, and scream into a pillow and a mattress, and cry and sob, and call him every name you can think of, and then when you have worn yourself out, just go back with someone/thing you love, and thank GOD you are done with him.... I mean IMHO....

Geez Carole, that must have been hard to be a part of... I've watched Intervention, and celebrity rehab, and you DO learn to empathize with some of these people.... And sometimes it does work... Hope your niece is doing good!

I had oysters once.... like whiskey.... they just aren't my cup of tea...Ha!

Sally, we have been getting a LOT of snow up in our High Country! More than the last several years.... !

I have just never learned to ski.... I can slide, and trip and fall all over the place right in my own yard...Ha! Not to mention trying to drive on those icy roads... image Just stay in..... go gamble....

CAMMI! Okay, so my hair isn't naturally dark..... But it HAS been since I was 21! That's when I started getting gray. I probably REALLY am, but I won't let them be shown.... After my hair grows out about 1/2 inch or more, I color it all! Yep! Besides, THEN it has body, and looks lovely.... and pretty..... and makes me feel better! So there!

YES we are older, but I think we are "better"....

And NO, silly face! I can't eat the Chickens.... they are my neighbors! I saw the guy with the cat's plastic bin! I think he put it back in the garage! With the heat mat & blanket I gave them!!!

They leave this afternoon, unless their OTHER little girl is sick.... So I'll call you when the girls lay their frozen cracked eggs, and we can go over together and snatch them!

Linda, what Cammi said, was really sweet.... whatever she said. I understand her completely... and she is right...... Keep your mind busy, and on happy things! And here's some more hugs...(((hugs))))

Mgster.... WHAT is your real name, or nick name ??? Everytime I see your name I think of the Munsters...Ha, ha! So yes, I DO take that green capsule, AND the orange one for days! Eeeeks! I can't stand that liquid medicine of ANYthing...Ha! It's all I can do to drink Pepto-Bismol without gagging.

Di! How are you doing? Are you beautiful now? I know you are.

So you guys with the "gears" and red x's are evidently not using aol... Because they are not on my computer.... anywhere... I just learned how to muddle through by trial and error...

Morning Rita... Yes.... I used to take 600 mg of Ibuprofen for my back... It was the only thing that helped... But THEN they came out with Aleve, so that's what works for me now...

I LOVE crafts! My whole house is a haven for crafts!

I learned how to do things, by looking at pictures, and getting my own ideas... I could NOT afford some of the things I loved, so I figured out how to make them myself!

Mommarch, stay warm! A lot of areas are supposed to get up to 3 inches of ice in Texas!

Good idea Wren.... !

Okay gals.... that's all she wrote...Ha! Have a great Sunday...

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2013

Lacee in the snow... last year!

• illinoislady
    edited November 2013

Kind words are the music of the world. They have a power which seems beyond natural causes, as if they were some angel's song which had lost its way and come on earth. It seems as if they could almost do what in reality God alone can do -- soften the hard and angry hearts of people. Non one was ever corrected by a sarcasm, crushed perhaps, if the sarcasm was clever enough, but drawn nearer to God, never.

Frederick William Faber

• illinoislady
    edited November 2013

Chevy, I love that picture of Lacee. I saved it on my computer so that I can look at it anytime.....not just the couple of times you have placed it on here. I think it reminds me of little Boss....my Pomeranian. He just loves the snow.....all 10 lbs. of him and when there is snow on the ground outside......he puts his snout down and makes like a snow shove. I was so worried when we first took him in.......thought he would freeze during the winter. Not so......I looked it up and Poms are descended from Chows which were sled dogs. So I think he has a triple coat or something.

When I first read that it was a giant laugh......I had this mental image of all these little Pomeranians hooked up to a sled and it was just too funny. I mean you'd need a couple hundred I think. Anyway Boss is definitely in his element when there is a good snow going on outside. I think it is one of the reasons I like to walk in the snow too..........it is a pleasure with a little dog that is bouncing around, happy and content......not shivering and glancing back at the door to get in again. Just for the record.....we don't make the other dogs stay out if they don't want too.

There is sun out today, but it is not going to get above freezing today.....bbbbrrrrrr. It seems early but you know with this global warming issues ( which many people don't accept ) we just never seem to be able to count on much. It was a major surprise to have a fairly mild and reasonably comfortable summer. So....whatever comes we are just going to have to buck up and take it. I am enjoying the sun which sounds as though it won't be with us all day but by then I'll be inside and plan to make chili and cornbread for supper. We have certainly reached the time of great cold-weather comfort food and our meals around here are going to reflect it.

I hope you all have a really wonderful Sunday......rest and relax, stay warm and do whatever pleases you.

Peace and love

Jackie

• Mgster
    edited November 2013

Mgster is a name I had to pick years ago when I first signed up for eamail. My beloved cat "Maggie" had just died and I wanted to use that but there were like a million already so I came up with Mgster, which is what I called her. I still use it on lots of online things. My real name is Claudette, so I will sign my posts that way from now on. :)

Claudette

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2013

That's okay Claudette! Why don't we call you Maggi? I mean our dog Chevy was with us for 14 years! As you can tell, he is still our little guardian angel.... I mean I get to "see" him every day! So he is still with me.... My real name is "Evelyn"..... but don't anyone call me that.... Ha!

Yes, it's cold here too Jackie! We went over to our Daughter's house, to take her a few things, and we made her laugh....Sometimes me and DH are just silly, or make fun of each other.... MOSTly because I can't hear them very well, with the TV on and all! So sometimes what I hear isn't what they said..... Then Janie starts talking and just starts moving her mouth without SAYing anything! And I just crack up!

Yes, Miss Lacee isn't as "furry" this year.... Maybe it won't be as cold? Besides that she trimmed herself down about 6 pounds.... Buy she DOES remind me of a cross between a Pomeranian and a Sheltie.... She is much smaller than a Sheltie..... and is supposed to be a thoroughbred.... like I would care.... if she wasn't!

DD bought the movie Magic Mike.... So someday when DH is gone somewhere, I shall borrow it, and watch it..... I HEARD it is really good! Ha!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited November 2013

Mgstr, glad to hear the explanation. I was wavering between imagining you as someone who only drove MG's or someone who mugged people frequently. Perhaps using your MG as a get away car.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2013

Yes.... she must drive an MG..... That is her get-away car after she mugs people .... You have to be fast, you know!

Where is she from? Do we know her background? Maybe she is a secret agent of some sort.... Claudette must be an alias...... of some sort.

Wren, you are as bad as me.....Loopy

• Mgster
    edited November 2013

HAHAHA! I wish I drove an MG. I drive a little Ford Fiesta...but it is red! Husband is watching "American Horror Story" and I am trying to not look at the TV...this is some scary crap! I hope I don't have nightmares tonight. Well, gotta get out of this recliner and go color my hair. I have been putting it off for days.

Claudette

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,124
    edited November 2013

Have a happy Thanksgiving, everyone. DH and I will be departing on Tues. to drive to Decatur, IL. It's a 13-hr trip. We hope to return on Saturday. I'll be taking my computer, so will check in if the opportunity presents itself.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2013

Enjoy Carole. You won't be too awfully far from me. Maybe an hour and 45 minutes or so.....not totally sure. I will be working from 8 a.m. starting Tuesday and and going through to Saturday until at least 8 p.m. in the evening. I really don't mind. I can use the extra funds and as there is only Dh and I.....we don't plan a whole lot on any holiday.

Hope you will have a really nice time. Am glad you are taking your computer. I'll only be on mine a little at night myself.

Peace and love

Jackie