Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• rabbitvelvet
    rabbitvelvet Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2014

I got cut off..........

Mgster.....as a retired RN, I want you to know that thanks  from our patients are like diamonds we cherish forever.

ritajean.... Enjoy your Florida trip.  When I lived back east....everyone's goal was spending the winters in Florida, the ultimate reward for a life spent working!  Just be careful of the drivers:) 

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited January 2014

Oh rabbit that was nice.

image think we have enough snow.

• Safetyyfirst
    Safetyyfirst Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2014

Illinois Lady,

Your two last posts were the first of my reading this morning.  I must tell you how refreshing and

Uplifting they are for me.  "I Am" so touched my soul. Then, you follow that with all the positives

Of the snow storm that we are experiencing here too in MD.  I feel so Blessed this morning.

Many thanks.  (((hugs)))

Barb

• Safetyyfirst
    Safetyyfirst Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2014

Welcome Northstar,

I am 67 dx in Aug,2013 for the very first time with stageIV.  To the contrary,  many threads have

Many knowledgeable computer literate older and young ladies aboard.  Just throw your questions and concerns

Out here, and I promise you someone will respond with accurate information or the same

Experience.  Do not let age intimidate you.  Bc does not discrlminate!  Also, you gave no info on

Your stats.  There is a "Stage IV ONLY" forum which I am apart of daily.  All age groups.   Very, very

Helpful.  If you are not "stage IV" you may only go to that thread for questions ONLY!

The best of luck!

Barb

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2014

Morning gals!  And Happy New Year! 

Just so sorry about all that is going on with families....  I think things just happen for a million reasons, when our loved ones go off the deep end.  Sometimes they can straighten things out,  but most often, the family just has to deal with their choices, and their messes.

Seems my Brother just has one thing going on, after another, and him trying to deal with the  mess his family leaves.......  Just so easy for them to walk away from obligations, and problems!  And drugs don't help......  I used to worry so much about smoking marajuana when I was in school.... about how it would make you "crazy".... But now, that seems to be the LEAST of everyone's problems!   That the drugs these people become addicted to, just turns their lives up-side down, and they walk away and couldn't care less.  

It's like Alcoholism, and taking addictive drugs have put MJ in the back seat!    And HERE, it is legal!    And when there are mental problems to begin with, like my Nephew, then the family just learns to "let go and let God.".....  When children are involved....  those who care are the only ones they have.   Like you gals..... 

My heart is with you all....  and maybe talking about it, will help a little. 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,707
    edited January 2014

There
    is an Indian proverb or axiom that says that everyone is a house with four
    rooms--a physical, a mental, an emotional, and a spiritual.  Most of us tend to
    live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room every day,
    even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person.
    Rumer Godden

• illinoislady
    edited January 2014

Good morning,

Not sure about the complete person as such but I loved the quote because I do know that we do have these different faucets of ourselves and that when one or more is out of balance we struggle trying to get back to a more even keel. 

Velvet.....I'm so glad you shared your snow poem.  I think I'll be looking up your author later.  Just for some background, I've always lived pretty much in areas that get snow, save for 25 yrs. spent in southern California.  In the beginning, the lifestyle there ( warmish yr. round ) was fantastic.  It can take a good length for the learning curve to catch up.  In the last few years we were there....it became humdrum and the slight weather changes ( winter there was rain for two weeks at a time, slight break and another week, etc. ), were just something to get through.  Dad passed away and Mom brought him home here to Illinois and decided to stay.  Great opportunity for Dh and I to find our way eastward which we did in short order.

No regrets at all.  In fact, my Mom passed on about a yr. and a half after we returned home and I had the honor of helping care for her ( though she never needed all that much help ) until her passing. 

I loved and missed the changing seasons with the colors and sounds and smells as well, since people are still allowed to burn some of their leaves here.  The last wiener roasts of the year....siting around on hay bales and chatting with family as little sparks make their way into the air.  I'm glad I had the opportunities I have had to experience  constant seasons and then summer all year long because I know that I'm an Illinoisan.  I'm too much in love with change I think and guess for me the hand of the Creator is a little nearer when the leaves fall off the trees in Fall so the winter rest can begin, and then the green shoots, sprouts and buds abundant in Spring as the vibrant green of early summer begins anew. 

Safety first/Barb, I am glad you enjoyed my posts.  I'm way out now from diagnosis ( late 2007 ) but found this place fairly quickly ( never used a blog before ) and found such care and comfort here.  One of the threads I was on requested, if I was agreeable, that I post an uplifting quote so all could start their day on a high note......and each would have something to look forward to.  So, I still post ( usually they are the same ) there and put the quote here as well.  I feel like it is just as much true now as when I was originally asked.....that if something can give us a boost, enter our soul and help us hear a bit of a song....then I should continue on.....and so I do.

Thinking of all of you here today.  You are all so special.    Stay warm and watch the weather from inside if you can.

Blessings,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,124
    edited January 2014

A peaceful day for me today.  I went to the gym this morning about 9:30 and did a workout that allowed me to feel virtuous!  Then I spent the rest of the day at home doing this and that.  This afternoon I made a big batch of giant meatballs that are now submerged in tomato sauce for tomorrow's noon dinner at my mother's house. 

DH went to play golf at noon and I was happy to see him go.  It was nice having the house to myself. 

Tonight is the Saint's first (and probably last) playoff game.  We'll be watching it--unless watching becomes too painful. 

We're enjoying our fireplace tonight.  It has been nice having some winter weather. 

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Saturday.

• SallyS70
    SallyS70 Member Posts: 816
    edited January 2014

Hi all,

mommarch, hopefully you and DH are enjoying your time with your son's family.  The situation in Florida probably makes that difficult.  Keep us posted on your progress in Florida because we will be thinking of you.

Carole, have you started packing?  The meatballs sound good.  Is Sunday dinner always at your Mom's or is this a bon voyage party?

Jackie, did you get all the snow that you expected?  Was your 4 wheel drive able to get through?  The concept of 4 rooms intrigues me.  I enjoy reading about ways of putting life into balance.  I am currently rereading The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz which is Toltec wisdom.  He points out that it works with any religion.

Sandra, have you started planning your Caribbean cruise?  I hope all you travelers ... Sandra, Ritajean, Carole, and anyone I missed ... will post pictures so that I can vacation vicariously.  Kaara, your Florida and South? Carolina homes offer two vacation spots.

Cami, the picture makes me think that you might subconsciously want to go skiing. 

Sending happy vibrations to everyone for a fun Sunday ... define fun however you want ... for me it will be a short drive toward the mountains for breakfast at a funky café and at least an hour throwing away unnecessary, accumulated mail. 

• carolehalston
    edited January 2014

Sally, Sunday dinner is frequently at my mother's house.  I often cook food and take it there.  Occasionally my younger sister will provide the food.  My mother cooked big Sunday dinners for many years but at age 91 she isn't up to cooking big meals.  But she enjoys having company.  When the weather is good, I take my mother to the 10:30 church service so I have to plan a meal that can be warmed up.  It's easier on my mother for family members to gather at her house.  She gets around the house in an electric wheelchair.

We're watching the playoff game between the Saints and the Eagles in Philadelphia.  We're not too optimistic about the outcome.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited January 2014

Sally, yes I have started vacation planning...at least I'm at the "looking" stage. I haven't booked anything yet. I've been watching football all day (again) and surfing the web for Caribbean cruises. The only thing holding me back from booking during all the Christmas sales was the upcoming heart tests. Since they are now over, the news is good, and I won't have to face open heart surgery at least for the next six months, it's time to travel. I'll have to have two more plastic surgery procedures but my surgeon wants to put it off for awhile so I can take a break. It's been nothing but stress, surgeries, complications, and recoveries since August.

We love to cruise and have loved our experiences on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Princess cruise lines. We've been on 8 and have had a blast on every one. The cabins have always been nice, no matter what kind it is. I love inside cabins because I can take delicious naps in the quiet darkness. Balconies can be a problem depending on what's above and below you but when you get a good, quiet one, you can leave the door open and get warm Caribbean breezes. We had a suite one time but it is really not worth the extra cost for a few extra square feet to walk through to get to the bed or the bathroom. I did like having priority embarkation and debarkation though. 

I've also organized group cruises twice (1st time 23 people, 2nd time 70 people) and have dealt with all the cruise lines in finding the right cruise for the right price. Some will promise a lot, but when you get on the ship, no one seems to have gotten the memo. They are very accommodating, however, and always make it right. On one of my group cruises, I had an older lady who had been on over 60 cruises on every cruise line. She said they are all really the same unless you go on one of the premium, high-end, high-priced ones. I agree. If you are very picky, you might prefer one over the other, but we have no loyalty. We look at price and prefer 7-10 day cruises because they have fewer children. We've been on 8 cruises and have an Alaska cruise booked for late August/early September with Princess.

We're about 4 1/2 hours from Galveston, so we'll probably go out of there again. We've been everywhere any of the cruise lines offer in Galveston, so it doesn't matter where we go. We just enjoy the cruise experience and sometimes don't even get off the ship if it's a place we've been many times before, like Grand Cayman. I think we will try a 7 night Carnival Magic cruise to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel because it has the new Cove Balconies. I want to try one of those.

• Mgster
    Mgster Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2014

Sandra...just reading about your cruises makes me want to go on one!  We have been on two.  The first to Bermuda and the second was supposed to be Bermuda but we hit Hurricaine Felix and they sent us to the Bahamas which has never been a favorite spot.  Cruising is so relaxing and this exactly what you need.  You earned it!!!

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Oh I envy all of u who love and do cruising. Personally I have that fear that under this big ship is an unending amount of water that would not be friendly if u needed it to be. So I could never relax on a ship or plane, I have missed so much for all these yrs. cuz of my fears--how silly.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2014

Morning everyone!

Sandra:  I love cruises but there are a few ships that I will no longer cruise on for safety reasons and anything owned by the Carnival line is one of them.  I found out that Princess is now owned by Carnival and now I know why when I was on a Canada/New England cruise with them several years ago, that the captain sailed us right into the eye of a hurricane off the coast of Nova Scotia.  It was a scary 12 hours before we turned around and sailed out of it.  Unfortunately Carnival puts profit before passenger safety.  I found that Celebrity is a wonderful cruise line that can't do enough to ensure the safety of their passengers, also Royal Caribbean.  Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it to the max!  I do find a cruise very relaxing, and I'm ready for another one soon.

Chevy:  It will be interesting to see how the legalization of MJ for recreational use in Colorado is going to impact the State.  I am certainly going to be more aware during my ski trip this year....as if the slopes aren't already somewhat risky...now we have people skiing high on MJ.  Good thing I decided to start wearing a helmet last year.  Frankly I can't see anything good coming of a decision like this other than some tax revenues.  If I were thinking of starting some kind of new business out there it would be a rehab clinic.  I'm just saying...

One more college game...the championship on Monday night.  This one I will watch because I'll be pulling for Florida State.  The Clemson/Ohio State game was great.  All the action in the last quarter back and forth, and the game was very close.  Of course we were happy that Clemson won...both SC teams won their bowl games.

Today DS is coming over to put my decorations back into the attic.  They have been down and boxed all week but he was working.  BF and I might head down to the beach to an annual art festival that is very good....one of the top ones in the country.  It looks like rain, so if that happens, we'll pass.  It's not like we won't have a million of them around here this season.

I'm waiting to find out if my downtown condo is officially rented.  The tenant has to pass inspection by the condo board.  If he does, it will give me a nice income for at least a year, and after that, will try to sell it.  I'm still trying to get my DGD to set up some kind of schedule to pay me rent on the townhouse she is in.  She is just so irresponsible...really tries to take advantage.  Her lazy BF is living there with her and probably not paying his share. So much for trying to help out family...:(

Had a wonderful day with DD onThursday....lunch and a movie...American Hustle.  Thanks Carole for the recommendation...we both loved it!

Have a great day everyone!

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Hi Kaara our busy WARM friend, going to the beach for an art show, unless it rains.--I'd be happy for rain. I still hasn't stopped snowing, but really not working it doesn't bother me like it used to. The cold hasn't come in yet but it will later and they are saying if u'r school isn't closed u can still keep u kids home without being called a sick day, that they will be excused. I don't think this is fair to teachers--they have to drive in so much snow and cold, they are the ones coming from further away, they should jut close them all and be done with it. This weather is really bad, plus the super cold weather. anyway Kaara u sound like some fun things are planned and I hope u'r tenant will be approved so that wil be settled and it's very difficult sometimes working with family, so good luck on that one. Maybe u should consider selling that one and keeping the other one with good tenants.

Well I hope everyone in this path of weather will say safe and warm--Another words stay in, the sidewalks are slippery too. and then they said when the cold comes in u can get frostbite within minutes.

• illinoislady
    edited January 2014

The great lesson from the true mystics is that the sacred
    is in the ordinary,
    that it is to be found in one's daily life,
    in one's neighbors, friends, and
    family, in one's backyard.
    Abraham H. Maslow

• illinoislady
    edited January 2014

Good morning all,

Hmmm, nothing too sacred in your family being bad tenants.  Kaara, whatever happens, you will always know you tried and therefore measured up.  It is a shame that GD can't do better.  It seems to be easy at a certain age for this to happen.  The minute the pressure is off, the bottom drops and no telling if it can be gotten back. 

I do feel that beforehand it will always seem that conditions can be met so I think the loved ones don't realize how quickly they will let us down.  It is not right, but you each are learning something.  It will influence later.  I thought Cami had a great suggestion.  May not be possible but it was good.

Cam, we are having our gorgeous snow now as well.  Falling fast.  It stalled last night somewhere and did not start until the wee hours.  It has now been revised to include some extra.  Instead of 12 inches....they now say 15.  Wow !!!!  This will be a first for us.  We have a couple of deep ones.....but never 15 all at once.  Dh went out and cleared the walk-ways.....it was the heavier snow at that time, and it has already pretty much re-filled. 

I love snow and find it beautiful, but I do feel concern that our power lines hold up.  It would not be near as pretty if the power went off.  We should keep a generator....but never have.  Sigh !!!!  Still, I will enjoy this actually.....for a bit.  The tree limbs are full giving it such a festive look.  It is a white-out and we can't see houses nor anything through the trees.  It is much like we are in our own little world, a cocoon that is all white, and I know it will snow all day long.....and since it started late....maybe into the evening hours. 

Later we will go out and feed feral cats......and I will have to shovel them out of their areas and also a spot to eat the food I leave.  With my 4-wheel drive I will be fine. Feel for those who don't have  ( my BIL only has rear wheel dr. ) a car that is usable to them in this weather. 

To the cruise people.....if you were seeing what I am right now, you'd likely be packing for sure. 

Hope all those in snow areas can stay in.  I would save for the feral cats.  But then, normally with my car this sort of thing is not a problem.  Stay warm, dry, safe and sound wherever you are.

Blessings,

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Jackie it is beautiful now but again u see the glass 1/2 full. I'm already thinking in a few days it will look like mounds of dirty crap out there LOL I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist who can't spell or type.

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2014

No snow for us here in NC  yet which is a real blessing.  All we have to use is my son's 93 mustang convertible.  I am hoping we can get something else before the snow flies.  Have a lovely afternoon all.  My DH is making his first batch of banana bread and first pot of chicken and dumplings.  I would trade the world for that man.

• illinoislady
    edited January 2014

tekwriter.....neither would I if I had him. 

Blessings,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited January 2014

Banana bread and chicken and dumplings.  Yum.  Sounds good! 

DH and I have never taken a cruise and probably won't.  He was a merchant mariner for many years.  Worked as captain of supply boats in the Gulf of Mexico.  Also as chief mate on a dredge ship.  We saw a lot of gigantic cruise ships in Alaska at the ports and watched thousands of people lined up to get off or get on.  We travelled on the Alaska ferries on the Inland Passage but it was all day passages and the ferries aren't huge. 

It was quite warm today, almost 70 degrees, but it's supposed to get very cold during the next two days.  The forecast is for a hard freeze Monday night and Tuesday night.  Home Depot has been doing a big business selling foam pipe insulation.  People this far south often run a trickle of water to keep the pipes from freezing.  We only do that when the temp. gets down to low teens.  By next weekend the temperature will be back up to the 70's.  The weather is a constant roller coaster.

Chevy, I'm interesting in how legalizing marijuana works out in CO.  And one other state.  I forget which one.  The recreational users have to exercise judgment and restraint just like alcohol users. 

Hope everyone had a good Sunday.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited January 2014

We are snowed in....even with 4 wheel drive and it is already down to 9 degrees with the wind blowing ferociously.  We have a fire burning in the wood burner and are hoping that the power stays on.  My feral cat did not show up to eat tonight.  It is probably  better that she stays burrowed up somewhere instead of coming out in this blizzard but I worry about her.  Almost everything is closed around here tomorrow and the snow is expected to stop this evening.  Brrrr.... we should have left yesterday for FL instead of this coming Saturday! Everyone in the snow belt stay warm and be safe.

• illinoislady
    edited January 2014

Rita, we are much like you.  I think we could drive out....just never tried.  We have been out four times to shovel the walk and deck, back walk to the dog pen and in front of the pen.  We did get the 15 inches....maybe a mite more.  Aren't sure.  We will have to resume using the snow blade in our drive-way tomorrow.....Denny got stuck once and it was getting dark so he thought best to wait for no more snow and light to finish and see where we were with things. 

Wow....this is a first for us actually though we have had rugged times......but it came in spurts before a little now, a little tomorrow so we could move the snow out of the way easier.  It just snowed so much today.

I'm still trying to warm from out last outing but it is pretty cold now.  One more trip to go do the night feeding and then it is inside for the night.

Here's hoping all stay well, warm, dry and as in-convenience as possible by this storm.  Hope I'm not hoping for too much.

Blessings,

Jackie

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2014

We are supposed to have ice tonight and some snow.  I sent my son's to take movies back and pick up a couple of extra groceries.  they got four roma tomatoes instead of 4 cans of tomato sauce.  I don't think we will be under for long though.  Hope every stays powered up and warm.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited January 2014

I booked a cruise today that leaves in less than 2 weeks. Cannot wait to go to Galveston to board the Carnival Magic for a week. Due to a cancellation, I was able to get a cabin in the secluded Cloud 9 Spa area. It has it's own spa facilities and attendants. Best of all, it's an adult's only area. We'll be going to Belize, the island of Roatan in Honduras, and back to Cozumel which is one of our favorite stops. My friend and her husband were on that ship before Christmas and raved about it so I'm anxious to explore it. This will be our 6th time on Carnival and have enjoyed it every time. In fact all of our cruises have been good, no matter which cruise line it was on or what port it left from. Wish we could figure out how to retire on a ship and live there permanently. No mortgage, no need for a car, no utilities, don't have to cook, don't have to clean, don't even have to make my own bed, no yard work, travel to foreign ports, and plenty of entertainment.  Smile

Oh joy! I won't have to think about ANYTHING unpleasant for a whole week!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,294
    edited January 2014

Sandra:  I was on the inaugural voyage of the Carnival Magic the Thanksgiving before last - cruise to Florida Keys, Nassau & Freeport w/lovely days at sea.  The ship is great.  My only complaint was my own fault - the schools were out the entire week and the ship was MOBBED with kids - pushing all the elevator buttons, racing up & down stairs, running the wrong way on the track, shoving in front at the buffet.  One couple even encouraged their 2 year old to race & twirl on the dance floor at the tea dances for us oldsters.  Decidedly NOT cute as she bumped into couples who weren't too steady to start with. Too bad many parents no longer control their children.  Anyway - Deck 9 sounds like a dream!  I'm jealous.

• camillegal
    edited January 2014

Sandra good for you, u will enjoy it just like the others.

Well we're snowed in here too. Winds are howling and snow is blowing or still snowing who can tell anymore--It's reall gotten difficult for our dog outside, he's having a hell of a time going. and he's a good size dog. Everything remains closed tomorrow still--This is a bad one. Too much snow and super cold at one time chit, kind of gives winter a bad name.

• Mgster
    Mgster Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2014

Sandra...wow!  Your cruise sounds amazing!  

We went to an antique shop today and there was a big blackboard in the window that said..."75 Days Until Spring!"  

• SallyS70
    edited January 2014

Tons of posts today.  

Snow bunnies and ice bunnies, here's hoping you don't lose power.  I agree with Cami ... stay inside ... the sidewalks are slippery and the temps so low frostbite happens quickly.  Jackie, I guess you have to feed your cats, but be careful.  Aren't you afraid of getting stuck even with four wheel drive?

Carole, your Sundays sound wonderful, but what a lot of work.  I'll bet your mom really appreciates being able to have the family in her home where she is most comfortable.  If I remember correctly, you are leaving Tuesday for Australia.  Have a wonderful trip.  When you get back, please post pictures.

Sandra, it sounds like your cabin will be in a wonderful location.  How lucky that you are stopping at one of your favorite places.  Do you and DH dress formally for dinner?

Kaara, when is your ski trip?

• SallyS70
    edited January 2014

I left my post, came back, finished it, and submitted it.  Then I noticed more people had written.  I love it!

Minus Two, I am surprised that the ship's staff did not find nice ways to keep the kids under control.

Mgster, did you buy anything while antique shopping?