Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited October 2009

Jackie...we mix and match quite a few of our medicines with our animals, and they with us, not done us any harm in years, and often saved considerable costs !

Isabella.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

Good AM from the US, Isabella,

I just sent you a private message.  Had a personal question to ask :)

I hope your husband's hand is better today.  MEN!  They are the worst patients.   We are big on home remedies.   Going to the emergency room is often more drama than the injury itself!  But the risk of infection is always a threat.  A friend of ours got a MERSA infection in a small cut that turned in to a big deal.   So keep after him!

I have been a real slacker this AM... got to close up the computer and get busy!  I have grandchildren's Halloween costumes to make!  DGD wants to be a balloon (?) and DGS wants to e Skippy John Jones (a siamese cat with a mexican accent from a book series).  For the first time my oldest GS wants a storebought costume... how sad :(  But I am pretending it is ok with me.  I even chipped in on the cost...  $60.00!  Can you believe it?  Off to the sewing machine.

Pam 

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2009

Hi all

Wrote a lovely long post yesterday. Noted that I thought my family bounced from one major incident to another but nothing compared to Isabella. Then posted it and it was on the board, went to move away from this site and something funny happened and lost the lot.

Isabella, as a child we used something called 'cow ointment' on all sorts of cuts and scratches it was great. Farmers used it on cow's udders.

I don't want any virtual trip to the UK I want a real one. Hopefully it will be next year once we have DH sorted out. He will have his aortic valve replaced within the next three months as he is now on the high priority list. We copuld go private as we do have insurance but the heart unit at our hospital is one of the best in the world so think its best to wait.  If he does have another heart episode though we can go straight in.

Have had a very pleasant weekend. Took our beautiful granddaughter to the park on Saturday which was great fun, thought she might go to sleep but there was just too much to see. Yesterday went to a garden centre after church to get some trees for the new part of our garden. Hope the guys arrive this morning as I can't wait to get the back garden finished.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

Alyson

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2009

Chooks,

I'd like the virtual tour (however, want a for real one next year) as long as I don't have to leave my recliner.  I went to church this morning, came home and went back to bed.  It is cold and has rained so much--I'm totally unmotivated today. 

Isabella, my dad was stationed at Fowlmere (sp?) during WWII.  Is it close to you (if there's anything left of the base)?

Take care, Chooks.  Three more rads, then I'm on to recovery (and more energy, hopefully).

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2009

Isabella, I've been to York as well at to Leeds. So if you're in that part ot the UK it is beautiful.  May just have to do a real trip up there to meet you. 

Tell your hubby to take care of his hand. I had an out of control infection from a tiny cut this past year...took three different antibiotics to get it under control!!!

Allison: I waited a year to get a vacation. Got diagnosed summer 2008 and was too busy with all kinds of treatment stuff.  But this summer my mom's cousin in the UK had a 95th birthday party and that gave me something to look forward to. And I did make it over for a fantastic time this summer.  But I see you're in New Zealand....that's another place on my list of places to visit...may just have to find a way to get to you (I travel on frequent flyer miles...must see how many I'd need to make it to New Zealand!!!).....

Cheers

Mandy

• Colleen123
    Colleen123 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2009

Hi everyone....

I am new to this forum.  I have posted on other forums here, but didn't know of this one until now.  I am 62 and love the idea of a place for us more "mature" gals.  Right now I am having some "me" time on the computer after cooking Thanksgiving (Canadian) turkey dinner for my family (son, dil, and 3 grandsons.... and daughter, sil, and two grandsons) and hubby and I.  They all just left and I am tired....lol. 

My cancer history is bilateral mastectomies (at different times) for DCIS and IDC., then delayed bilateral reconstruction (SGAP using buttocks tissue)... almost 3 years ago now.  I am on Arimidex now (I am into my 4th year of 5 year duration). 

I will have to read some of the older posts here to catch up with everyone.

Hugs, Colleen

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2009

Welcome Colleen!  I love your name - so Irish.

Definitely count me in on both the virtual and the real trip to Isabella's place.

Jackie - you said it so much better than I could - making do.  As it turns out, a lot of the so-called old wives tales have turned out to be true.

Alyson, due to extreme motion sickness, I will have to get to your place a "leg" at a time, flying short distances until I get there.

Isabella - the only time I have been to UK is London and only for a very few days.  I realized at the airport here that I had forgotten Dramamine and started to panic.  I found, in the only store that seemed open at the airport, something called Calm X.  Worked so well I was getting really bored on the plane instead of trying to just keep my dinner down and my head of swirling.  Never found it again.

Mandy - Happy Birthday (95!) to your Mum's cousin.  That's wonderful.

Gram-Yea on being really close to finishing treatment!

Pam - right about MERSA - I had it in my diabetic ulcer on my foot and had to be hospitalized and in a nursing facility for IV antibiotics - and in isolation.  So Isabella have your hubby be really careful.

Here we come Isabella:

Royalty-Free (RF) Clipart Illustration of a Stick People Character Crowd Celebrating With Union Jack Flags

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2009

I am 56, newly dx with DCIS and I am IN- any Fashion Shows for Seniros (even if we don't feel like seniors?)- out there- please direct for one who has decided not to reconstruct?

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,278
    edited October 2009

Welcome  Colleen and Melissa -- glad you found us.  Always room for more here.  A great thought is that someday.....no one will have to come anymore, but until then.....I see you have a friend with you there Melissa. 

Yesterday was a wonderful Fall day for us here.  Hope the sun comes out today as once again we will be working outside.  We were cleaning out my storage shed and just as I thought....someone got in there and left THINGS.  I don't recognize them...they couldn't possibly be mine  -- but I'm taking them all down to the auction house anyway.  So sorry for whoever left it all there.  We have a lot of go but making progress.  Two truckloads are ready and one truckload is already there....and I'm sure we have probably at least three more after that.  Lots of work to get rid of  things....it seemed a lot easier when I was getting them now and then....just don't know how it got to be so much.  Whew !!!! 

Kathleen....loved the graphic at the end of your note.  I'll be ready to go once I have all my work done and the auction house filled.

See you lovely ladies later.  Hi to everyone.

Jackie

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited October 2009

Hi Ladies

Just wanted to say hi to all the new ladies on here, and I wanted Patoo to know that if I could find any gold, I would be happy to share the wealth.

As always, i have another prayer request, my daughter, Debby, came over yesterday because i was having trouble with my computer. She is always there for me when I need anything. Well, she has a lump in her stomach, she asked if I would call my doctor and make her an appointment, and of course, i did. She will see him on the 26th of this month, please pray for her that it will be like the lump she found in her breast, she had too much caffeine in her body. Yes, JO it seems like the devil is always on the warpath with the ones of us who truly serve the Lord, and out of the six children I have left living, she is the one who is serving the Lord. I know she is grown, but that doesn't take away the love and worry I have for my children, they are all grown, but I still worry about each and everyone of them. Please pray she will be healed of whatever this is.

We will be leaving in the morning, so I just wanted to say that I will miss all of you for the nine days I will be gone.

Oh wouldn't it e wonderful if we could all meet each other! Isabella sounds like she would be so much fun, and JO could share all her wisdom with us. We all have different qualities, and we would probably have a wonderful time if we could all get together.

I will be thinking of you all, and as always you will be in my prayers.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited October 2009
    Welcome, Colleen and Melissa.  One important question to ask right at the outset.   Do you iron?  It was decided recently on this thread that ladies our age need to get a permit because some of us have had accidents with our ironing boards!  Smile 
  • Gramof3
    edited October 2009

Welcome Melissa and Colleen--we're quite a group!  Come here often and join us in lively discussions, information sharing, and, when needed, venting.

Carole:  LOL!   Aha!  That's why I don't iron much--don't have the required credentials for the permit and would hate to do illegal ironing. 

JO-Don't know if my HER2 is of any value.  It was .4, so negative.  I misread it as 4 and couldn't understand why it was "negative."  Oh well, I didn't understand the whole TN thing anyway.

Have a good day, Chooks--  Take care.  Helen

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009

Welcome Colleen and Melissa.  Hopefully you ladies are sane as we need some on this thread. LOL

Motherof7, yes, we worry about our children no matter what the age.  I will keep Debby in prayer.  Too bad it is so long to get in to see the doc.  Who needs that stress.

Remember, satan attacks those who follow Jesus.  He does not need to go after the others as many are already under his care.  But we know to whom Debby belongs and He has her in the palm of His hands. 

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

Motherof7 - I will pray for Debby too.  Try not to worry - I know that is next to impossible.  It is the not knowing that drives you crazy - I am awaiting results from my uncle - he has melonoma (located on his ear) and so we are praying it has not spread.  We should find out tomorrow or Wednesday - 10 years ago it was stage 2 colon cancer.

JO - we simply cannot go on ANY trip without you!Frown

• patoo
    edited October 2009

You're right Kathleen - if JO doesn't go we all stay home and veg in our loungers!  Can't go anywhere without my twin.  Well, except for December when I go to Disneyworld with my 25yo DS who is an absolute Disney fanatic!!!!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2009

I babysat yesterday for two, but took photo of only one

• patoo
    edited October 2009

She's adorable!  Looks almost like a little doll - just perfect.

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited October 2009

data not applicable Colleen & Melissa.

Motherof7, your DD Debby is in my prayers and hope everything is just fine.

tc,

Deb

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2009

Motherof7......here's hoping that Debby will be just perfectly fine

SoCalLisa.....an adorable little girl

Hope everyone is having a good long weekend. I'm expecting all the kids and grandkids over for dinner soon

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

SoCalLissa,

Is she your granddaughter?  She looks just like you!  What a joy she must be.

Pam 

• mandy1313
    edited October 2009

Mother of 7:  All my good wishes to your daughter Debby.

Lisa:  Your "little one" is gorgeous.  

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

Prayers for Debbie and Lisa you have a pensive little angel.  I'd like to know what she was thinking. 

Hope things go perfect or nearly so for all of you.   Jo, you are right ---  much harder to recognize joy if you have no sadness to compare it too.  You would have no empathy for someone ill if you yourself never were.  We can't appreciate until we have walked a mile at least, in many kinds of moccasins and had good and bad and many worlds of the in-between......I think that is what God meant when he said, I didn't say it would always be easy, I said it would be worth it.  All these things we learn ( even though it may mean going thru brca and who knows what else ) expand our love and understanding, our very souls, and though we may not really know WHY we need to know these things.....there will be a good reason  --  and we will know all when the time is right.  In some things and at some times it comes down one simple thing...FAITH.  I use to not have very much and that made life a little un-nerving and awfully scary.  Thank goodness that all changed a few years ago and now I have so much. 

Jackie

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Haven't had my vid d checked but will ask my med onc to do so next month when I see him (that is if I remember).  My Vid D3 is included with my Calcium and is only a total of 600 IU's a day.  Is that enough?  Any symptoms if your Vit D is low?  If the level is checked, what range should it be in?  Now look JO, you have me asking questions!!!!

• Gramof3
    edited October 2009

Chooks,

Motherof7--Praying for you and for Debbie.  I agree that, when we are parents, the concerns for our children are always there...the problems may change as they get older (no more skinned knees learning to ride a bike), but, they will always be our kids and we are still involved. 

Lisa--she's absolutely adorable.

JO,  Kathleen is right--we can't go without you!  If we asked Isabella to put out an "Ironing Board Alert" and all boards are stowed away, will you go? (Please)

Chooks--that's it for this evening..Down to 2 boosts, but who's counting?  Helen  

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited October 2009

My oncologist said to take 1000 IU of Vit D and 1500 mg of calcium now that I am on Femara. It doesn't all have to come in pill form, but it is necessary for bone health. We discussed yoghurt - he thinks it is good, I think it is hideous!

• BonnieK
    BonnieK Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2009

My onc put me on 2000 IU of vitamin D and 1200 mg. of calcium when I started taking Arimidex in March.  I also had a bone density test before starting the Arimidex and it was normal.  Next month is my 6 month check up with the onc, and I assume vitamin levels will be checked in the blood work.  --Bonnie

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

Lisa ... You definitely have got the eye for photography.  That child is precious and beautiful - just like all of your pictures!  I have been digitally copying a lot of old family photos and the problelm is always composition (easily corrected with cropping) and enlarging the photo because, as you know, if the details aren't sharp its not going to look better larger!  Of course, with your photos cropping is not necessary and Lord knows you get every single detail - I bet your photos could be blown up to poster size and not lose any of the detail.

• mandy1313
    edited October 2009

My internist checked my vitamin D and it was low--26. So I am taking 5000 units of D3 every day.

My hubby's was even lower---so he is also taking 5000 units.  

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

Hmmm, I take a combined calcium-VitD pill once in the morning and one in the evening.  I have just checked the bottle which was prescribed by my Dr. at the V.A. and it says:Calc- 500 mg and D - 200.....at twice a day this seems woefully small on the D end.

If memory serves I ask my Dr. to check my levels and I don't think it was done.  I think I just might look for something to print out from here and take it along when I go later this month on the 21stl.  I think all sorts of problems can crop up if your D is low......even recurrences, so I sure would want to have that covered.  Besides.....you need to be as healthy as you can and if you can control something by simply adding vitamins....then I want to know. 

Lassie...I don't mind yogurt as we have so many nice flavors here, but I would burn out if I tried to eat it everyday.  Because of likes and dislikes I think it has been hard to get what we need from our daily diet for years. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day.  I'll be checking in later.

Jackie

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2009

My PCP prescribed 50,000 of Vitamin D - I seem to need blood transfusions whenever I am in the hospital.  The nurses and doctors tell me I will feel much better after the blood transfusion but I don't notice any difference.  I would take 1 pill a week - did it for 2 months - haven't had it rechecked since.  Never noticed any difference.

My bone density test is one of the few that came back absolutely normal.  I fall to the ground and shatter a shoulder - go figure.