Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited November 2009

Hi all

Well I had no surprises about my health.....I had known the mammo was ok so that was not a surprise. But I did get a surprise with the amount of follow up that was suggested---too much for my taste and does not make sense.  The surgeon wants a mammo every 6 months and an MRI once a year. She also wants me to see her every 6  months and to see the oncologist every 6 months plus the rads onc once a year.  For me, part of getting better is not spending that much time in a cancer center. So I will make an appointment with the rads onc (he is easy to talk to) and ask his thoughts.  Unfortunately my crew don't work that well together And, they keep you waiting forever so a 15 minute visit today took over 2 hours.  I feel as if being checked every 6 months should be enough....and will be good for my mental health too.  Just going back into the cancer center has me weepy eyed and I am going to try to get a good night's sleep.  

Many of you are having tumor market tests.....could you tell me what they are exactly?  Spar your onc sounds great....do you ever go back to the surgeon or just your onc and your regular practitioner.   

To everyone, thanks for caring enough to ask how things went.

Mandy

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited November 2009

Hi Mandy,

I'm glad you have them engaged now.. even if it is too much!

Tumor markers are controversial.  Some do them, some don't.  My onc does a CA15-3 every 3 months.  SUPPOSEDLY if you have an active tumor it will shed antigens that show up in the blood. They may or may not indicate something is going on.  Here's something I copied:

CA 15-3 is mainly used to watch patients with breast cancer. Elevated blood levels are found in less than 10% of patients with early disease and in about 70% of patients with advanced disease. Levels usually drop after effective treatment, but they may go up in the first few weeks after treatment is started. This rise is caused when dying cancer cells spill their contents into the bloodstream.The normal level is usually less than 30 U/mL (units/milliliter), depending on the lab. But levels as high as 100 U/mL can sometimes be seen in women who do not have cancer. Levels of this marker can also be higher in other cancers and in some non-cancerous conditions, such as benign breast conditions and hepatitis.I'm glad my Dr does them but take them with a grain of salt.Pam 
  • Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

Just stopping by to say hi Chooks...I've been away for a while and have been enjoying life and trying to ignore too much pink last month.  Lisa what a great  kitchen and love the flowers.

Jo ..glad your back too.   Getting my Thanksgiving list of stuff to make for MIL who still has it. Everyone brings everything over and she sets the table.  I like this holiday because you know exactly what you have to cook....no decisions.   I make my cranberry with a food mill...my children didn't like lumps.   

Finally got my PET sent over and all is quiet.  I just didn't get a call for a month and finally decided to ask for a copy.  So I'm counting my blessings early this year. No drs. until Feb.  

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited November 2009

Mandy, after the mastectomy (which had to be done twice, his mistake) and then a third time to remove a growth that popped up.  long story.  Anyway after he took all the staples out, I have never been back to him and won't.  The only dr. I see is my onc and I love her and my primary care dr.

Alyson, I have to laugh about how do you keep my weight down because I am 70 pounds overweight but have got the blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol down.  Was starting an exercise plan when I broke my foot so now even that has to wait.  I will get the weight off.

Isabella, what you are going through is not funny but I couldn't help but smile at the picture of a bunch of drinking men hollaring and whooping, laughing and drinking and you sitting there without a smile on your face.  So proud of you for sticking to you guns and going in your 2 seater, also saves gas.  Hope you and DH can have a nice meal together afterwards.

Hi Maire, glad the pet is done, keep on enjoying life.  I guess I am weird cause I love all the pink.  Have been making pink hats and scarves.  Green and Pinks are my fav colors.

Hugs to all and I am off to get ready for bed.  Kind of tired, its been a full day.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited November 2009

Said I was going to bed an hour ago then a friend called and here I am still.

Mandy, suggestions I have heard on follow-up care is to alternate your docs.  So if you see rad onc in January the next check-up 6 months later in July  would be to the med onc then back to the rad onc again the following January.  Yearly can see the breast surgeon.  Of course, it all helps if they are all (and they should) working as a team and sharing results of any tests. 

I will see my surgeon yearly; for some reason it makes sense to me that she should be the one to order the next mammo/US or whatever.  I am seeing my med onc every 3 months and he does blood work and does check for tumor markers.  I, for some reason, don't see the reasoning behind seeing a rad onc every 3 or 6 months if you are not in active rad tx; unless of course you have ongoing problems with se's related to rads.  But that's just me so I won't see my rad onc again (because I'm not entertaining the idea of radiation ever again!)

And now I'm really going to bed because when that alarm goes off tomorrow morning I am not going to be a happy camper.

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited November 2009

Alyson,

Your granddaughter is precious. Looks like she is enjoying that chocolate cake. Just wanted to say how happy she looks. She is a doll.

• Motherof7
    edited November 2009

Illinoislady

Thanks for saying you missed me on the board. I've been trying to clean out the utility building at my Mother's. Big job, she was all into crafts of every kind.

i also was with my Mother to the very end. She had liver cancer. She was such a dear lady, she was always helping others out in one way or another. She worked in the cotton mill from the time she was 14 until she hurt herself in the mill. She worked in the mill about 46 years.

I have one sister, but when Mother got sick, i was the one who was always there for her. She was operated on twice while i was young for cancer. I guess once you get it in your system, it just doesn't want to let go. The other two surgeries were not related to her liver. I gave up three houses and came home to take care of her when I was married the first time. After my first husband died with cancer in 1992, I lived with her and took care of her. I got married again in 1996, and my husband and I gave up a house and came home to take care of her.

My sister says: I'm like Mother, I'm not giving up my house for anyone. I just tell her that i don't regret giving up anything to come and take care of Mother. my sister was there when she got diagnosed with liver cancer, and she did come down and help out some. I think she feels a little quilty now because she is always telling me that she loved Mother as much as I did. I never told her she didn't.

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2009

Morning Ladies,

JO you are RIGHT! shoulda, coulda, woulda- no time or value in that for sure!

I was just ridiculous on Monday , the 3rd week anniversary of my bil mx and did WAY too much- put me right in the dirt until this morning- slept all day, waking only to eat and go back to sleep. At least I can sleep in any position and I did!

I have learned so much for each of you, and am headed to the craft boards now to see the snow flakes- maybe I will replace the "people flakes" in my life with craft snow flakes.

Happy VETS DAY!!!  No matter what service you were in we deserve that day off! I am confused why children have the day out of school? I think they should be in school with the day devoted to the VETS- but they didn't ask me.

I was advised to have a right mx because the radiologist could not say that the had reliable results after my biopsy - I did not like the 30% recurrence to my now high risk left breast ( and the rad. said- "warrants a close eye for breast stability within 6 months) since I was DCIS and hoping to stay DCIS after all pathology was in I opted for a bil mx. and no woulda, coulda shoulda for me! I wanted this to be over and when my pathology can back as ONLY DCIS and with neg nodes I was so relieved! No recon in my future, I will buy foobs, whatever, as surgery offers to many opportunities for infection  FOR MY COMFORT LEVEL. Each of us need support for our personal decisions and I think we do that here- the outside world is another matter and Dr Sun got that right! Thanks to each of you. I have learned something- not always about CA, from each of you. But then it is NOT JUST ABOUT CA! One of you said it and you are right!

Thank heaven we have a group that talks about yes, CA, but also dogs,cats, kitchens , holidays traditions and whatever- crafts cooking , a great reminder that we are CA survivors and PEOPLE , smart interesting people who have worked our way through the medical MAZE.

To each of you; Have a physically and emotionally painless day- my highest regards to each of you!

• spar2
    edited November 2009

Melissa, I haven't posted pictures of the snowflakes yet on the craft thread but will do it today, there are lots of other craft pictures though, more at the beginning and middle than toward the end.  Sometimes we have to have a pity day but most days we can be happy and just forget the C word.  I go days at a time without it entering my head about myself but I do think of others.

JO, glad you slowing coming back, you are surely missed when you don't post.

motherof7, I do so admire you for taking care of your mom, it goes to show what an unselfish kind person you are and I know your mom appreciated you so much.  When my mom is sick and I try to take care of her she tells me I wish you would go home you make me nervous.  My daughter is the one she wants with her.

Alyson, your granddaughter is so precious.  I have to say I don't think I have ever seen an ugly baby, they all have their special aspects.  One of my friends daughters just had a little girl with a bunch of thick red hair, she is just a beauty.  I hope to be around when I get to have great grandkids.  I have one 7, 12, & 19 so no more babies to hug, hold, and rock.  I just love to rock babies.

Patoo, hope you ended up getting enough sleep and hope you have a good day.

I  know you guys will laugh at me because I don't know what chooks means, is it old people.  Hi old people or hi old ladies.  Another language for friends?  I like the sound of it but don't know what it means.

Goodmorning Kathleen, hope you have a great day

Hope all you wonderful women have a great day.

• melissa-5-19
    edited November 2009

spar I don't know what chooks means either! But I seem to fit in whatever they are! LOL

• spar2
    edited November 2009

hahaha Melissa we have to be chooks, we fit in.  yea!

I posted the snowflakes on the craft thread under prayer and inspiration so you can take a look now.  Lucy made the crochet ones which I want to learn really bad (wish she would come spend a week with me) and Lefty showed me the plastic canvas ones.

• spar2
    edited November 2009

When I looked Chooks up it said it was an exclaimation to attract chickens.  Are we chickens? LOL

• pj12
    edited November 2009

We asked about the chooks title recently... I think it is the Aussie equivalent of chicks.  But maybe older?

Carole, do you remember?

Pam 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited November 2009

Pam, I do remember that there was an explanation!  Seems it was an Aussie expression.  I think it's a strange-looking word.

Time for confession.  I skipped lunch with the golf ladies today because I didn't want to face the temptation to eat a high calorie meal.  Stopped off at the Piggly Wiggly to buy a powerball ticket and ended up ordering one of the lunch specials, a huge cheeseburger with Cajun fries!!!  I ALSO bought a carrot cake that reached out to me from the shelf where it sat.  It was like watching somebody else take over my body!  A "somebody" without willpower!   I must turn back into my old disciplined self who's a WW lifer. 

• pj12
    edited November 2009

Hi Carole, 

It must be the weather.  I went to Publix to buy bananas, bread and grapes... and came home with a cherry pie!  Totally a no-no on our diet.  It lasted three days.  But was so good :)

Gotta go off the wagon once in a while.

Pam 

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited November 2009

Pass the beer, please. It's a rainy night in Georgia!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited November 2009

Pam, did you hear the very rude words I sent over the pond to you ??!!!!!

I agree that funerals are now social occasions, but to suggest I take 4 men for a meal and shopping , doesn't bear thinking about !!!

We had a very quiet funeral as it turned out, met up with lots of DHs old buddies, (some of the nicer ones ) I am quite out of my depth at social occasions, prefer to be alone, so people en masse throw me ! I do not live in my own 'back yard' this is DHs 'back yard', so I don't know very many people in the district, so never have much in common with the locals to rely on for small talk. Living on a fairly isolated farm, means we have no immediate neighbours at all,  (which I just love.) but I am just a 10 minute car trip from the village, so not so isolated, really.

The 3 men I refused a lift to were not too pleased with DH, I was told, There was what we call a 'bun fight' put on in a local hotel for everyone to go back to after the funeral, one of the 3 was supposed to tell DH and I, and didn't,( probably because of his 'no lift'! ) We  said our goodbyes after the funeral and left, went out and had a lovely meal, bought some amazing glass Christmas decorations at a little garden centre we called at, got treated to a box of chox, all in all had a very nice afternoon. DH called one of his 3 friends tonight, and he said 'oh, I forget to tell you, I was supposed to ask you back to the bun fight, but forgot.' DH was not at all pleased, as it looks like we were not invited accidentally on purpose. And I thought it was women who were supposed to be devious and catty !!

I was quite pleased, I got a very unexpected compliment from DH ( he does NOT do this lightly!!) he said how nice I looked today, and why didn't I wear a skirt more often....un flippin' believable with my big behind nowadays!!  I did make quite an effort with my clothes, hair, and make-up, going into the 'lions den' so to speak. Usually I am permanently in jeans, t's or sweaters, because I am usually doing a very grubby job. 

I really will be making an effort to get some weight off, well, after I've eaten my box of chox, and after Christmas. My GP had rung while I was out, wants to see me for a blood pressure check, she did leave me a message about a fortnight ago to get and see her, and I have been so busy never got back to her, so she will have a go at me about excess weight I'm sure.

The weather today was pretty amazing for the time of year, a complete change from the cold wet windy weather we have had for a week or more now. It was a crisp, sunny day. In fact the sun was a problem driving it was so strong. We just headed for the coast, but half way there realised we would never make it, and get back in daylight, so we turned back and hit the small roads, thats where we found a nice pub for a meal and a quirky little garden centre with the lovely glass ornaments.( which DH also put his hand in his pocket for...oh, I am in his good books at the moment!)

Spar SO SORRY about your little black and white cat. what a shock for you.

Motherof7 pleased about your Debby, such a relief....just hope she gets good thyroid test results.

Mandy know just what you mean about all those visits, but you'd be complaining if anything was missed, so grin and bear it !!!! I know, I know, its that awful build up thats worse than the visit itself !

What a worrying path we now all have to tread.

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited November 2009

Isabella,

So glad I did not hear what you said :)  Do not want those 3 hooligans to come between our friendship!  

Does anyone have a  husband who goes shopping with her?  That is the last thing my DH would do. I see men in the stores helping their wives pick out clothes, etc.  Or sitting patiently while DW tries something on.  We do have a SIL who likes to shop as much as DD... but he is a bit of a metrosexual.  :)  Guess I will settle for my non-shopping spouse.  At least he never sees the price tag this way.

So glad you had a nice day with DH, Isabella.  We need that once in a while to keep the romance alive.

pam 

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited November 2009

Spar - I completely missed the sentence about your dear cat.  I know it is devastating to lose one.  I am so sorry.  My last cat, the one I have now, is a black and white.  I had to have radioactive iodine injected to kill his thyroid.  The meds were no longer working and he was losing so much weight.  He will be radioactive-free on the 19th of this month - not that I've paid any attention to their warnings about not letting him sleep in my bed or holding him on my lap (the iodine is excreted in his urine).  Can you imagine leaving your poor cat at the vets in a cage for 7 days and then not get near  him - well, its plain cruelty!  Besides, if he made me sterile I wasn't planning any children anyway (not at 63)!

Pam - Thanks so much for the info on markers.  I will pass it along.  Your advice to take it with a grain of salt is right on target.  BTW, I love cherry pie (as any diabetic would).

Jo - it is not a great day without hearing from you.  You are a love.

Isabella - I also am glad you had a lovely day with DH.  You deserve it.  Sorry it had to be over a funeral.

To all my breast sisters - good night!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited November 2009

Hi girls

Chook is a word for a hen, it is actually what you call when you want them to come. It usually refers to older women - bustling around like chooks and is generally a term of endearment, though you can call someone a silly old chook. We kept hens when I was little and I just love them so don't mind being called a chook.

Had another Xray on my leg today, they don't think they can see a fracture but were concerned about a shadow which they now think is a bone bruise.

Went to the Botanical Gardens to see the roses which were absolutely beautiful, have lots of photos so when I down-load them I will put some up here.

Hope you have had a good day. DH and I are off the the orchestra tonight.

Alyson

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,279
    edited November 2009

Last load to the auction house today.  We will be more than likely #1  or #2 when it starts on Saturday morning.  I am thrilled to have it all there. Don't think I could move another thing.  I could have tossed in more things, but one of the men said they thought what we had in our section would take a good two hours to auction off.  I just hope we realize a nice bit of pocket change.  No matter what though....good to have all those things ( some were brand new ) things gone from here.

Hope you all had a wonderful day.  I thought of you all today but I need to shower and get clothes ready for my job tomorrow.  See you all later.

Jackie

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited November 2009

Well, I'm dragging but going to bed in a few after Law and Order goes off.  Really tired. 

Sayonara.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited November 2009

G'day chooks!  What Alyson said was correct, as in 'We are no spring chickens,' so therefore we must be the old boilers, (anyone remember those days?) or  . . . Old Chooks, also said the same way that you say look, book etc,. not as in goose, moose etc,. uttered in the same way that you call the chickens to feed them, a la . . . 'chk, chk, chk,'  if you can imagine that.  It might help if you put the back of your hands on your hips, with your elbows out, and then while thrusting your jaw to the front before pulling it into your chest and repeating while doing a stiff legged, toe splayed strut, you will find the sound automatically blurts from your lips . . .er . . .beak.

Sheila.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited November 2009

Good morning ladies!  Gosh this is an active thread.  I stay away for a few days and there are PAGES of neat posts to read.

Alyson, I was a teacher, too.  What did you teach and what type of textbook did you write? I taught junior high scieince and I started a question writing business that created test questions for scholastic bowl programs (quiz bowl) between schools.  During the time I had my business I wrote several trivia books for junior high students. 

Pam, Your area in Florida sounds just perfect and so peaceful!  I agree with you.  I always wonder when I ever had time to work!  LOL

Lisa, I love your kitchen.  It's so bright and cheery!  Did you do all the work yourself or did you hire it out?  We redid an upstairs bathroom last year and I about went crazy.  It took us so long to get it done and I didn't handle the clutter and inconvenience very well.

Mandy, your follow-up schedule sounds a lot like mine.  I see my surgeon every 6 months and my oncologist every 6 months.  They schedule them so the trips are 3 months apart.  So I see my surgeon for a mammo and check up in December and then the oncologist in March.  That does make those trips to the doctor roll around pretty fast!

Maire, congrats on the PET scan results.  How did you ever make it a whole month without having the results?  You have much more patience than me.  I would have been a basket case!

I need to get moving this morning.  I have a dentist appointment (YUCK) this morning and a hair appointment this afternoon.  That doesn't leave a lot of leisure time today.

Glad you're back....both Jo and Mother....and glad to hear that everyone else is doing pretty well!

Hugs...

Rita

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited November 2009

Just for fun:

• melissa-5-19
    edited November 2009

OK Sheila that totally cracked me UP ! What a great way to start my day.

Isabella I am thinking of you- house keeper coming today........

Hello, spar- I missed the part about you cat and I have cried many times over a loved pet-,sorry for your sadness and thanks for posting the snow flakes- I will look later today if watching over the cleaners does not wear me out.

Marie- a month for results? I would have gone "postal"

Kathleen- Maxine is right again!I would NEVER leave my pet in a cage for 7 days- maybe you could have rented her out to someone who needs sterilization! LOL

Carlo- thanks for the motivation- maybe I will whip up some gooey rolls, caramel and pecans- yum.

Have a great day ladies! And I am with you,  

Pam My DH would NEVER sit and wait while I try on clothes- jsut forget it!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2009

Hi all...good to see you Rita..we did have our kitchen done ...not by us that would have been

a disaster...but it still really got to me..we had the carpet cleaned two days ago so now we

are putting all the furniture back...kitchen just needs a tweek...the induction/radiant stovetop might need a bigger electrical box..but we are having a BBQ for 20 on Saturday so today I go grocery shopping and tomorrow cleaning..pushing my DH to get his you know what into gear to help in a challenge..

• Motherof7
    edited November 2009

Isabella4

Thanks so much for being concerned about my daughter, Debby, and I do hope her thyroid test turn out good. We never know just how much we love ou children until something happens to them or we lose one of them. I have some great children, as I am sure we all do. I guess we each think our children are the greatest, and they are to each one of us.

Spar2

Thanks for your kind words about my taking care of my Mother, I don't regret it at all, but she did get a little too dependent of me at times and was very jealous. I miss her more than words can say.

JO-5

I agree with kmccraw, it just doesn't seem right to get on here and not hear from you and your wisdom of this diease that we all have.

I need to apologize to you, I believe I told you Debby's fibroid was on her ovary, but Debby said it was on her uterus, please forgive me for giving you the wrong information.

To All You Beautiful Ladies

I appreciate each and every one of you, and I thank you for all your prayers for me and my family, and please know that each time I pray, which is everyday, I ask Jesus to bless each one of you and to heal your bodies. Prayer does work. Hope you all have a great and very blessed day.

• spar2
    edited November 2009

Sheila, you cracked me up when I come to this forum now I am gonna stand that way and say chk chk chk so I KNOW I am a chook.

Kathleen, isn't Maxine the truth.  Love her (though it is really a him writing her)  I thought that was interesting.

My DH will go shopping with me, he sits in the car while I shop and then I call on the cell phone and he picks me up at the door.  LOL

JO, you had your break its time to check in.  Love ya!

Melissa, do you make homemade yeast gooey rolls?  If so pm me and I will give you my address. LOL  Love them so much.

Hi Rita, are you ready for Thanksgiving?  Are you having a big dinner at your house?  I am getting kind of nervous cause I would really like to know how many people will be here and I have no idea.  I guess I will just act like the largest number will be here then all the beds will have clean sheets and lots of left overs for the week.

Everyone have a great evening.  Survivor is on tonight and I am hooked on it.

• pj12
    edited November 2009

Hi Spar,

it's Project Runway for me tonight.  I missed it last week as DD and son were here.  Gotta catch up tonight.  

Best use of a cell phone I have heard :)  Valet service.  

Pam