Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• bluepearl
    bluepearl Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2012
    Options

Rutin is a natural anti-clot supplement. One can do a search on it and in science journals it appears to be quite effective. Cheap, too. It comes from the roots of a weed called "Japanese Knotweed" often thought of as a bamboo but it isn't. One can make their own tea using these roots. Kara is right about simple carbs, insulin resistance etc. Best to eliminate them from your diet. She also looks amazing!!!

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks Kaara and bluepearl. I was doing something similar a few years back and did lose weight. Somehow after all this BC stuff I lost my way. Time to get back on track. Will start tomorrow. Definitely don't feel good after eating carbs - very bloated to the point of almost being scary. And I need to drink more water, some days I don't drink anything other than a glass of hot water with lemon at breakfast!

Terri

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited August 2012
    Options

Doing some reading on canola oil.  I have been against its use for a long time but realize for the wrong reasons.  Once again, I see balance, all things in moderation is the key to greater health, canola oil included.

From Weston Price Foundation, a thorough report on history, benefits, issues.... I pulled this on the real issues of canola oil consumption by all, esp those prone to heart disease............ seems necessary to add Vitamin E to diet if consuming alot of this oil.  Also selenium, from notes in report.

Full report here --- http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-great-con-ola

""""These studies all point in the same direction--that canola oil is definitely not healthy for the cardiovascular system. Like rapeseed oil, its predecessor, canola oil is associated with fibrotic lesions of the heart. It also causes vitamin E deficiency, undesirable changes in the blood platelets and shortened life-span in stroke-prone rats when it was the only oil in the animals' diet. Furthermore, it seems to retard growth, which is why the FDA does not allow the use of canola oil in infant formula.19 When saturated fats are added to the diet, the undesirable effects of canola oil are mitigated. Most interesting of all is the fact that many studies show that the problems with canola oil are not related to the content of erucic acid, but more with the high levels of omega-3 fatty acids and low levels of saturated fats."""" 

""""Modern oil processing is a different thing entirely. The oil is removed by a combination of high temperature mechanical pressing and solvent extraction. Traces of the solvent (usually hexane) remain in the oil, even after considerable refining. Like all modern vegetable oils, canola oil goes through the process of caustic refining, bleaching and degumming--all of which involve high temperatures or chemicals of questionable safety. And because canola oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which easily become rancid and foul-smelling when subjected to oxygen and high temperatures, it must be deodorized. The standard deodorization process removes a large portion of the omega-3 fatty acids by turning them into trans fatty acids. Although the Canadian government lists the trans content of canola at a minimal 0.2 percent, research at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found trans levels as high as 4.6 percent in commercial liquid oil.24 The consumer has no clue about the presence of trans fatty acids in canola oil because they are not listed on the label."""'

eh - and there is moer about Genetically modified canola oil.  Great.  I do not consume this oil except in occassional potato chips or something junkie like probably fries at the drive thru, so it does not trouble me much except the GMO part.   We have been an olive oil, ghee, raw butter, coconut oil and flaxseed oil (never heat this one) household for a long time.  Sometimes I bring in sunflower, safflower, walnut, in small bottles just for a special flavor and they last a long time.  The latter are not good for you but again, like canola, small quantities and not too often.

So whatI learned today is canola oil has been processed so the toxicity of the rape seed is not present, as I recently thought I learned.  Good to know but I am still staying away from it for the most part.

So how is everyone, it sure stays quiet on here.  People are vacationing, sunbathing, reading.  I read a lot but am not sure what to post or even where it will be read on bco, I learn so much from my books and want to share about tx and breast health and natural choices.  I think the natural threads are all over the place and we are too segregated to make a true connection. 

• Bluebird-DE
    edited August 2012
    Options

Everyone - inviting you to go to this grreat new bco thread and post slogans for the upcoming Breast Cancer Awareness Month. These slogans are not what you think... this is a place to do some venting.  Please pass it forward to your favorite threads. Thanks.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/102/topic/791442

I posted on three threads and am done now.  But wonder how different slogan suggestions will be from the traditional (alt) tx community than from  those with conventional tx.  Deep breath..... eeeeeeee, hope it does not cause a huge issue.

• NNBBFL
    NNBBFL Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Yes it is quiet and I realized today I have not been on these boards for a couple of weeks....spending a lot of time at and in the pool. Lots of natural vitamin D. Funny, many of you were talking about weight loss which I had completely stopped after starting on Arimidex in April but did notice I lost a few pounds this week, maybe it is the heat. I eat no oils except cold pressed flaxseed oil on a regular basis with the exception of 1T of olive oil that is in the whole wheat pizza dough I make (and that 1T is for a recipe that makes 4 crusts). The Budwig diet is very strict on no fats, oils or sugar. I have been eating a lot of salsa that I make with mango, avacado, onions, tomatoes, celery, peppers and some lime juice. I make a big bowl of it and eat it with my Budwig cottage cheese mixture, on whole wheat bagel thins and even salad. Both mangos and avacados are in season and seem to both be on sale a lot. This Tuesday will be my first birthday since bc dx. For the past decade or more my birthday treat to myself has been a new Dooney and I decided this year should be no exception and just purchased a pink one. It is not the pale pink color that is usually associated with breast cancer (I actually bought that color 4 years ago before bc) but a bright bold "in your face" shade of pink to let this disease know I am committed to fighting it with everything I do, eat or drink.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited August 2012
    Options

. "This Tuesday will be my first birthday since bc dx. "

Happy Birthday to you  ... and many more to come !

• NNBBFL
    NNBBFL Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thanks purple32, it was a great birthday. I certainly appreciated it more than ever.

• purple32
    edited August 2012
    Options

I'll bet, NNBBFL ...one of the very few  "good things" about cancer.  Makes us appreciate life all the more.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    Options

A belated happy birthday to you NNBBFL.

Essa, I rarely buy anything processed anymore, but I did get some red pepper hummus. Unfortunately, it has canola oil in it, and I really try to avoid that. So, I'm going to try to make it from scratch. I'm sure it will be much better with olive oil.

• MariannaLaFrance
    MariannaLaFrance Member Posts: 166
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Question for you ladies about phosphorus. I started drinking sparkling mineral water, and basically got to the point where I was craving it-- consuming about 1 bottle a day. I figured it was good for my water intake levels, but now am realizing that it must have been depleting my calcium levels. I have been suffering from massive calf cramps at night, which is usually symptomatic of off-kilter calcium levels. I stopped the consumption of sparkling water, and have now switched to plain water with lemon.  I also started taking bone builders Whole Foods 360 brand calcium supplements.  

Do any of you know definitively that sparkling water can cause problems with calcium leaching from the bones?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Marianna, according to these studies, it would depend on the specific type you are drinking, acid vs alkaline

The Effect of the Alkali Load of Mineral Water on Bone Metabolism: Interventional Studies

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/2/435S.full

Alkaline mineral water lowers bone resorption even in calcium sufficiency: alkaline mineral water and bone metabolism

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18926940

I've tried many times to drink sparkling mineral water, but have never been able to develop a taste for it.

I believe your leg cramps (massive hein ?) are trying to tell you something though - I know how soooooo extremely painful they can be, I hate it when it happens Yell

• purple32
    edited August 2012
    Options

Marianna

I dont know, but I do wonder if you may have a (temp.) electrolyte imbalance. I think a banana may be in order and  perhaps some POWERADE ZERO.  If you dont like that idea, you may want to try quinine water for the leg cramps.

Good luck.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2012
    Options

purple:  Great advice...ditto that!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2012
    Options

Had never heard of quinine water, good for nerve pain ! I wonder if like hair thickening shampoo with quinine, drinking the water will do the job Tongue out

Marianna,

'Laboratory investigation of the symptom of leg cramps warrants as a minimum, assessment of thyroid function and determination of platelet counts and serum levels of electrolytes, calcium, and magnesium.'

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10335049

I know that if I forget to take my cal/mag, pain and cramps will kill me 

• purple32
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I've never tried it ( have tried the powerade zero though and banana) , but I have had more ppl tell me quinine works than I can shake a stick at !Laughing

Maybe google it to be safe?
  • Bluebird-DE
    edited August 2012
    Options

Just thinking out loud - the leg cramps can be from loss of potassium and if you are not drinking reg water too, then you may not be getting the minerals you need.  So yes, liquid potassium, bioavailable.  Also would suggest sea calcium, it absorbs whereas the powdered calcium only goes so far then is absorbed into joints etc, we had two skunks that were almost rigid from being fed the powdered calcium instead, and never a problem with osteosporosis since for any of them when on ssea calcium, powder or liquid, so check it out.  And yes, the electrolyte, the drinks for babies would work or sports drinks for that.  You probably figured it out by now, but caught my fancy to think on it a little even with sleepy brain.

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    Options

First of all, I do not give my permission for anyone to cut and paste my comments here to post elsewhere in a public forum. This is for the women here who have stood by me, and walked with me through the ups and downs of my journey through breast cancer.
    It has been a long time since I have posted after the personal attacks upon me. I needed time to mull it over and I am glad I did, as I have reached a renewed clarity of what I need to do next.
    In the end, the attacks actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Although I was a bit upset at first that I would be viewed with such hatred, and I could not believe that someone had been snooping into my personal life and posting it on another blog, I came to accept that not every one of us will be on the same page, and there is nothing wrong with that. If my name is out there, so be it. I have nothing to hide. I am proud of what I have done for others, and I will continue to do so. I just will never understand why people feel the need to slander those who disagree. If someone does not want to do what I do, that is their choice. I just wish others would let me have mine and leave me alone. There is no one answer for this disease, and there are no easy answers. We are each on our own journey and it would be so much better if we would be supportive of each other, no matter what choices we make. "Judge not lest ye be judged".
    I came here several years ago, just like everyone else. I was looking for answers to my questions. I was struggling with Arimidex and found my way to women who were able to guide me to something different. They changed my life for the better and I will be forever grateful to these women for encouraging me to think outside the box. There is no one size fits all to this disease and we each need to figure out what is best for our own chemistry and our own peace of mind. I am so thankful that this forum exists and for the people who started this org for putting up with all of the nonsense. BC.org provides a valuable resource for us all and for me personally. I have made some wonderful friends through this, who have enriched my life.

Everything I have posted here has been an honest attempt to share what I have learned with others. I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but breast cancer was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I was so blessed that I caught it early, and for me it was a wake-up call. I began to make my health a priority and I have never felt better in my life. I have so many women here to thank for that. By sharing their research and their friendship, I learned how to get well and stay cancer free, and I truly do not worry about a recurrence. I have met so many amazing people through this journey and have found a sense of purpose that has been very rewarding and has helped me to heal all the emotional wounds that I feel contributed to my getting this disease. I pray that all of you will also look deep within and find that peace. I wish some of these people would stop trying to read between the lines and accusing others of things just because they interpret something a certain way. Anger does not bode well for anyone. As the saying goes, when you point a finger at someone else, you have three fingers pointing back at you.

Even though I have been accused of doing so, I do not post here so that I can make money off of people. Yes, I have a website, but I started it to archive information because I got tired of sending info to friends and family, and I wanted to have a reference for myself, not to make a profit as has been alleged. I am so blessed to be financially secure, with a husband who still has a job and has worked hard for our family.
    I pay hundreds of dollars a year to be a part of the network I use, and I pay extra to keep off google ads. I do not get any money from "hits" as some have accused. Yes, I have a lot of books listed because I have read every one and found them to be helpful, but I am not selling books. Reading has always been my obsession and has been the primary way I have been able to find solace and information through this whole thing. I do have Amazon links to the books I recommend because readers can get great summaries from Amazon, but Amazon does not have any affiliations with websites from my state, due to tax issues that my corrupt state demands, so I do not make ONE DIME from these links.
    I have a couple of other "sponsors" but they do not pay me either. I purposely told them I would not represent them that way. I keep mentioning rebounding and far infrared saunas because they are two things that have made a profound improvement in my health. The rebounding company has given me units so that I can give demos locally at wellness centers and lend them to others with cancer. The sauna company has done the same. From time to time they have made a small donation to my website to help me defray the cost of keeping it going, but I am still in the red every year on that one. Fortunately, my husband is okay with the money I spend on my website because he knows how much it means to me. It will never be a source of personal profit, though I am looking into ways to fund it through the non-profit I am founding so that I can keep it going as he retires.

As for the accusation that I am here selling supplements, that is really maddening. I came here long before I ever got involved with one company. We have all discussed so many brands over the years and I have finally found one that I trust, so of course I will mention it. That is not the same as soliciting business. I had no intention of becoming involved in a company, but the more I learned and the better I felt, I just wanted to share it with others. For this, I have been accused of trying to profit off of cancer "victims"??

Yes, there is a lot of lousy stuff out on the supplement market. I had to do a lot of research to find something that actually worked for me and that was pharmaceutical grade. The founder of this company is a world renown scientist, not some shill trying to make a buck. He was a multi millionaire before he made one tablet because he owned medical patents. He just decided to change his focus from diagnosing disease to helping people prevent it. He is a man of integrity and that is why I am so passionate about his company. Through it, I have made some incredible friends, and have access to dedicated scientists who patiently answer all the questions I use to have to search for. This company has changed my life in more ways than one.

I just wish all this animosity would stop. We should all be in this together. I totally respect those who do not what anything to do with holistic options. That is why I never post, or even read anything that is not on the alternative forums. In a better world, we would have true and honest, integrative medicine, but that will never happen because there are too many egos involved. Until then, we need to all do our research and make the choices that are best for us personally. There is no one answer for us all. There is no single truth. All I know is that since I have turned my back on drugs and made the commitment to nutrition, exercise, detoxing and the like, I have had an incredible improvement in my health. I feel no need to defend myself for that, which is why I have tried so hard not get into arguments here. I know that ignoring certain posts has made me a big target by those who love to stir the pot, but "C'est la vie".

Some very exciting things have been happening in my life in the past few weeks and I will not be able to post much in the future, but I will check in from time to time when I can. I just wanted to clear up few of the lies that are being spread about me because I feel if I do not, people might think they are true.

I will continue on my mission to educate, though the channels I have set up. If anyone wants to join me, I would welcome you. My non-profit will emphasize education about prevention. If anyone ones to take part, drop me a note.

Hey, we are almost at 10,000 posts! Keep it going ladies!
    God Bless you all.

• NattyOnFrostyLake
    NattyOnFrostyLake Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Vivre, you have done so much to help us natural girls and your presence is missed. Pay no attention to any silly sniping. We know you have a good HEART! You don't have to defend or explain yourself. You have accomplished a huge amount. Let that be your satisfaction. Kiss
  • Bluebird-DE
    edited August 2012
    Options

Vivre - I know where you are  coming from but we do miss you and the information you share.  The other website where they slander is just that, off in another world, I had to not look back after the third time I said my piece.  No more stressing.  I am here to learn, to help, to support and be supported.   Here, I hope we will all learn to just keep doing what we are doing and let the sniping go around and over us, not through and not deter our sharing of information.  When you have time, please do stop back.  But thank goodness for the archives so your information here will not be lost. 

Anyone noticed, I changed my avatar and sig - this bluebird exemplifies me on most days, a bit cranky but cute, and I do not apologize, just love a mad bluebird.

Diane Essa (going to mostly be LOVEssa, taken from a nickname on another thread)

LOOK --- POST 9,979 for Natural Girls !!!

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    Options

Vivre, if you see this, please PM me your web page.

• thenewme
    thenewme Member Posts: 174
    edited August 2012
    Options

Vivre,

In case you're referring to discussions I've participated in elsewhere, as far as I know there haven't been any "personal attacks" on you.  Everything I've posted or read about you elsewhere have to do with your breast cancer-specific advice and products, not you personally.  The things you post online here or elsewhere are public.  Spare us the pity-me routine.  I would have absolutely no interest in what you do if you weren't providing false, misleading, and potentially dangerous information and  products directly to breast cancer patients.  You consistently provide inaccurate information, promote quackery, and shill for your multilevel marketing businesses, and than rather than discussing these things as a mature adult, you just say we're picking on you.

Whatever floats your boat. 

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012
    Options

I am wondering how everyone else is timing there pills?

Right now I just take all my pills twice day. I was researching what kind of calcium to take and found that it has a binding effect. And may not be good to take with tamoxifen. My pill boxes are allready full.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited August 2012
    Options

I take mine twice a day too, and I have extremely constipated since I started taking calcium. I have to take it though because I get an XGEVA shot. I started the shot, the calcium and the femara all at the same time so I don't know if it just the calcium or a combination of all three, but nothing works as far as diet. Have to take laxatives.

• Bluebird-DE
    edited August 2012
    Options

Angstrom calcium or ionic calcium might help.  Even a liquid sea calcium.  And probiotics, I am not shy about taking a spoonful of good probiotics a couple x a day, mine have 5 strains, some almost unhead of.  The last jug I bought was from ojibwatea and no I do not sell it or make commission on telling you where my fav is.

On the calcium, if it is that, I understand the constipation and worse the calcium in a form we do not absorb to where it really needs to go, or it is absorbed and our body doesn't need more so it takes the calcium into joints, spine, heel spurs, etc. 

Learned hard way with our pet skunks - notorious for osteosporosis and long ago that was the way to treat it, prevent it.... the powder or worse the calcium tummy calmer..... I started using the SeaCalcium for them about 3 yrs back and no more calcified spines, no more osteoporosis issues either.  Was told this absorbs differently even though a powder, and the liquid to me is even better choice.  I get mine from various places, VitaCost, Nature's Sunshine (nope, not an affiliate, no commission or website for these, I will always say that when I mention what could work, what co has what, but I have to cuz I am here to share not to sell) and off shelf too.  The Angstrom calcium is liquid, my favorite actually right up there w ssea calcium, but have to do a search, I don't know who has it now, I had enough for years when I bought a case to share with a friend's husband who had cancer.

Five yrs ago my beautician had bc and was so constipated from everything, this helped her.   My friend's husband was constipated too, seems to go w bc?  

I was just reading in a book, Rediscovering Real Medicine, by Dr. Jean Elmiger (Switzerland, male) --- meaning treatig the whole person, knowing the system of th ebody inside out and not specializing in pieces and parts --- the doctor said he was studying a work by Dr. Victor Pauchet, edited 1929 Paris,back then his extensive medical education had not taught him about dietary hygiene or respiration, that above all else he learned about the intestinal tract with the role in mental balance as well as in THE ORIGINS OF CANCER and that it was evident that consstipation was a culprit in BREAST CANCER.  First thing I highlighted in book, on page 6.  The book is not about cancer, it is about bringing the patient back to balance in all things, terminal and otherwise.  Dr. Elmiger, raised by physicians, went back to school after his own extensive allopathic medical education, another 15 yrs, I think, to learn the human system and how it connects, his  writing is profoundly full of examples of i.e. healing irritable bowl that was caused by a vaccination across the meridian, another w renal colic, calcium oxalates and migraines who also had had a vaccination, hers across the kidney meridian.... more cases that were not even about vaccinations, and like most homeopaths, he goes on and on and on and on and on with cases in fascinating detail.  He studied everything I think, and came back to using homeopathy coupled with acupuncture and macrobiotics and ayurveda in vaarious combinations and though the book does not include much info on the others, he studied some of all the traditional medicines from cultures around the world.  Just saying, the word profound again, that he would include that info on breast cancer and constipation on page 6 was pretty cool and I want to never be constipated again for any reason.

Later ladies.

LOVEssa

• HLB
    edited August 2012
    Options

Very interesting, thank you! Lorraine Day also stresses how important it is to never be constipated.

• Natkat
    Natkat Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2012
    Options

Personally i never had "that" problem but this touches upon ayurvedic concept that proper digestion and elimination is key to health and any lack thereof can start disease process. Am waiting to learn more on this topic when i go for pancha karma in October. Will tell you what i learn!

• vivre
    edited August 2012
    Options

Think about your digestion like your house plumbing. If the pipes are clogged, nothing flows, you have backups and then you have a stinky mess.

Digestion is the number one key to health. It is the first line of defense against disease. It is not normal to be constipated and very unhealthy. You do not want those toxins sitting there. Likewise loose bowels are a sign of poor absorption.

Magnesium and vit c are the best ways to aid elimination. Epsom salts baths are also beneficial since it is high in mag. 

• HLB
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thank you for that info about vit c and magnesium! I am going to double the c and I already cut the calcium dose in half. I think its helping too. I still get the amt they said I needed for the XGEVA.

• vivre
    edited August 2012
    Options

HLB-after treatments, I was very constipated. My doctor recommended a product that was a crystalized mag and vit c. She said put it in a glass of water (a tsp) and take it every half hour until it works. After only 2 doses, it worked! But is sure tasted bitter so beware. My uncle was very stopped up after his surgery, and he tried it and it worked for him too. This is why lemon in water is so great for digestion. Have it half hour before and after meals. Another wonderful additiion is apple cider vinegar, with the "mother". It is full of beneficial enzymes that aid digestion. I try to drink this in the evening, about an hour before bed. Braggs makes a great product. As we age, we use up all the natural enzymes that we are born with in our stomach. We need to add them daily. Read some books on beneficial enzymes. That helped me a lot to understand digestion.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited August 2012
    Options

Just came across this thread again - there are so many it is hard to keep track.

What is this about constipation?   I am going to start taking Vesicare for my very annoying stress incontinence. It is so hard I can't go to places where are no bathrooms. Anyway, I know this drug causes constipation. So why is this bad?

Thanks!