Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks.  Being good about eating on a regular basis will be the challenge for me.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2013
    Options

Renee, it was for me too, but I started during chemo, in order to keep strong, and by the time I was done with treatment it had become a habit. During treatment I also walked as much as possible, and once done, I started working out in the gym as well. Exercise helps stabilize blood sugar and makes you feel better anyway.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited January 2013
    Options

Renee

Pls  go very slowly when you begin the exercise and do not overdo with repetetive arm movements or lifting.  Depending upon  surgery, which I presume, you will have , there is always a arisk of lymphedema. You will want to ask your BS/ Drs.  for info on lymphedema so you can follow every precaution to avoid it. You'll also want to know the signs.

Best wishes to you.

• ReneeinOH
    edited January 2013
    Options

Oh yes purple32, there will be surgery...thanks for the heads up on going slow to avoid lymphedema. 

In addition to lifestyle changes, changes at home, has anyone utilized any of the complementary treatments at the hospitals/centers where they have been treated for cancer?  Has anyone had experience going to a place like Cancer Treatments of America?

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Has anyone had experience going to a place like Cancer Treatments of America?

I have not Renee, and I must say, I have heard both the good and the bad about them.  I hope you get some personal stories here.  If not, perhaps you could use the SEARCH feature and see if anyone in the past has anecdotal reports.

Good Luck to you !

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited January 2013
    Options

I am following immunotherapy regime but  now have my fourth cold / chest infection in 2.5 months - never lke this before, could it be my immuno regime?

• phxsunshine
    phxsunshine Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2013
    Options

I've invited myself to this party.  After around 2 years of Anti-hormonals, I am done with them - with the blessing of my MO and Surgeon. The side effects became too much to bear and left me with no quality of life.  I was existing in a bad way. I've been working with a Board Certified Naturopathic Oncologist since the end of my Radiation treatments - over 2 years ago.  She helped me with the side effects of the AI's and has gotten me healthy as a horse otherwise, I'm even rid of my allergies!  So now she is helping me with natural aromatase inhibitors.  I just had my baseline estrogen panel and we'll see how this progresses by testing again in a few months. I haven't read back very far, but I did notice a question about coffee.  My Naturopath doesn't want me drinking coffee and it's not the caffiene that is the problem, it's the xanthines in it.  She does allow me 3 bad things/day and I have 2 cups of coffee a week, the rest of the time I drink green tea, which I happen to love. 

So, I'll thank all of you in advance for all of your shared experiences and I hope I can add something positive to the discussion as well.  And I hope we all stay healthy, wealthy and wise!

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited January 2013
    Options

Welcome phxsunshine! What are the natural aromatase inhibitors you are taking? I'm interested in learning about any and all natural/complimentary/alternative solutions! I am doing the 80/20 alkaline diet. Except for the coffee. :-)

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited January 2013
    Options

The natural AI that I take is called Chrysin. I don't think DIM is considered an AI, but I take that too. It tells the estrogen to go where it belongs. Sorry. I'm not terribly technical. I remember things in generalities better.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks! I've never heard of that. Will look it up. I was curious about the xanthines in coffee that sunshine mentioned because I've never heard of that either, so I looked it up. Everything I could find, which wasn't a lot, looked to me like xanthines are a good thing. There was pubmed stufy that said that breast cancer that did not have xanthines was a poor prognostic indicator. There are lots of xanthines though, and they are present in our body naturally, and I think the study was talking about a loss of those xanthines being bad. So maybe that's totally different than simply drinking the xanthines in coffee. Probably a lot more complicated than that. I will look for any excuse to not give up coffee though.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited January 2013
    Options

I couldnt give up my cup of coffe either. Down to maybe 1-2 light beers week

Does anyone grow there own mushrooms? Saw some youtube videos about this. Looks easy. Am checking out book by paul stamets about growning mushrooms. I think he runs Host Defense mushroom co. He has all the stuff you need on his website.

• phxsunshine
    edited January 2013
    Options

The supplement that were added to my regimen when I stopped the Rx to start Natural Aromatase Inhibition are:

Chitosan, Resveratrol Extra and 8oz of white button mushrooms/wk.  

Flaxseeds and fish oil, that I'd been taking all along are also supposed to be helping in this dept.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2013
    Options

Phxsunshine....may I ask what is special about white button mushrooms over others such as shiitake for example?

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited January 2013
    Options

Answering questions to me back a page, the Laetrile I order out of Mexico, has Spanish writing, is made from bitter apricot  kernels, not a synthetic tablet so that is important to me.  The Oleander, I take only one pill each day of Rose Laurel oleander, strong stuff.

Renee, I strongly suggest the book Outsmart Your Cancer, read ten times hahaha, really. 2   Don't ignore what you think are the little things in the book or otherwise.  3  Listen to your instincts.  4  You are not a boob and a boob alone, therefore do not allow the med profession to treat you as such, I would have thorough testing done before any surgery or tx, and I would insist on ultrasounds instead of only mammos and I would insist on both sides checked equally and never less.  It's just that once bc is found, they focus on the one breast, so wrong.  5  Red and black raspberry SEED powder.  Meeker variety, in great quantity, not a few caps.

I am still taking the rasp seed but now 3x a day, same amount each time though.  I feel that turned it around for me and am still doing very very well when I was not before I started the rasp seed powder last July, I was not well then.

Dental - no amalgams, no root canals, no metals or tatanium in mouth, no infections, get a good check, use thermography and see if there is a connection with teeth and the breast cancer.  Better off with no teeth than any of these.  Composite fillings, porcelain bridges and crowns, nylon and acrylic partials and dentures. 

Coffee basically makes us more acidic, undoes all the good we do all day long, but I have yet to give it up completely, darn.  I need to get a good organic coffee.

Get off the dairy products unless they are free of antibiotics and hormones, I use raw milk products and make my own yogurt.  Also same deal with eggs.  Know where your food is coming from and what it goes through in all processes if you can.  Ideally it is best to know.

If anyone wonders about what one of us has mentioned, besides asking here, you can easily do a search on this site for our name and the topic, like Essa raspberry or Essa Laetrile to read all I have written about that.  The search I use on here is on left blue menu near bottom.

Dentist in morning, must go to  bed.

LOVEEssa

• phxsunshine
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hey, I wanted to share this resource with all of you.  Some of the segments are really great for me.  There is absolutely no cost and no strings attached.  You can listen to these at your own pace for the next month, I believe.  Enjoy: cancertelesummit.com/

• ReneeinOH
    edited January 2013
    Options

Essa, thanks for the recommendations.  I will look up that book.  I have had an MRI, as well as genetic testing, so I feel I'm getting a complete work up.  And being very cautious--still going between two surgeons at this point.  I find it ironic because I work for a food and farm not-profit that promotes organic food (just had a farmer bring me organic mushrooms yesterday!).  I'm not a purist, but have been eating along the lines that have been suggested to me for a long time.  Cancer sucks.

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Has anyone here tried essiac tea and if so, may I ask- from where/ what formula ?
    thx

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited January 2013
    Options

I was going to do the Essiac Tea when I was first diagnosed. Then I heard or read something about the estrogenic nature of it and was scared off. I got mine from Canada, the original formula. Some people say it is good. Some say it isn't. I'm afraid of the estrogens. I even avoid soy.

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi all - I have a few comment for posts above.

OJIBWA TEA

Ojibwa tea is the original Essiac, from the Midewiwin Medicine Society which is of the Ojibwa, Potawatomi, Ottawa.  I order my Ojibwa tea wild crafted, organic, fresh cut and ground.  I get a pound of bulk in each order from Ojibwatea.com Ojibwa Tea of Life.  The woman was trained and approved by the Midewiwin.  Info on the medicine society is here.  The ESSIAC tea is a patented brand.  To create the patent the company had to add herbs, so they added more and one that is truly estrogen-laden --- red clover.  If the cancer is NOT estrogen / progesterone driven, then someone might get away with taking the Essiac brand and some have.  I on the other hand with ER+ PR+ do not dare.  So I drink the Ojibwa tea with only 4 herbs, originals of sheep sorrel, wild turkey rhubarb, burdock root, slippery elm bark.  Are these four herbs estrogen laden?  I don't know. And I could look it up, but that would be a personal responsibility to see what it is and how much and if you can take a chance on what it is.  I use it, I trust it.  I do know that for 150 years and centuries before that this worked for cancers, proven in Canada. Also check into other countries, like in China they used the Indian rhubard (in N America it is toxic laden, so must be turkey rhubard).   And it may or may not work for cancer relief, nowdays is not like before, we are hit hard with toxins unlike before.  Let's forget the cancer and look at what it does for health.  Here are each herbs and benefits.   Aiding in production of white blood cells, stomach hemmorage, jaundice, liver detox, blood purifier, cleansing lymphatic system, anti microbial effect, anti tumor properties.  Loaded with minerals.  That's all I got for now.  I have used it off and on for about 20 years, was not drinking it what I got sick. Right now I drink 4 ounces 4x day, undiluted and try to do so on empty stomach.  I had to work up to  that amount.

Renee - I know what you mean, not a purist but doing a darn good job of choosing organic and more natural choices for everything.  Used only all natural lotions, shampoos, deodorant, household cleaners and  laundry detergents for the most part for years and years. And whammo, cancer anyway.  For me, I was exposed to some heavy hitters, a few outside wood boilers run badly with a lot of carcinogenic compounds I breathed for months, a pool with too much chlorine (that was my own fault as I knew better and wanted to 'save money' the irony, right... and get in the pool asap at our new house... but when I found the mass, we switched to hydrogen peroxide to purify the pool and that was great water) and also exposed smoke from the resort area we lived by.  Plus there was some kind of mold or mildew in a crawl space and my last sunporch office was over it and when it thawed out in spring, I could not stand the smell of mildew.  I had to make extreme changes in order to heal.  We lost everything and ended up out here in the middle of no where on a ridge in the forest.  Love it.  And I am healing using alternatives.  Still not a purist though, by far. 

Later then

LOVEEssa

• phxsunshine
    edited January 2013
    Options

Scottiee1:  here's the response I got from my NO today:  

Great question! I think there is not enough information in the research right now to say whether or not other mushrooms are as effective. For now, the studies show that white button mushrooms are the aromatase inhibition mushrooms, but I suspect that in the future we will see more mushrooms being able to do this. 

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks for the link, Bluebird.

I cannot take it :

Burdock Root is rich in vitamins B-complex and E. Its trace minerals include potassium, phosphorous, chromium, cobalt, iron, magnesium, silicon, zinc and sodium.

Because of its diuretic action...

Diuretics are contraindicated with lymphedema. Yell

• Momine
    edited January 2013
    Options

As to the question about herbal teas and estrogen, I looked up the herbs Essa listed (thanks for that), and this is what I found:

Sheep Sorrel: "A side benefit is that sheep sorrel contains significant levels of phytoestrogens similar to the isoflavone phytoestrogens common to red clover, licorice and soy. These phytoestrogens are known for their health promoting properties." http://www.bulk-essiac-tea.com/sheep-sorrel.html

PHYTOSTEROLS — HORMONALLY ACTIVE PLANTS

This is of concern to our clients who are dealing with prostate, uterine, and breast cancers. They are listed as being present in the Burdock root and Turkey Rhubarb root.  http://www.motherearthherbs.com/phytosterols.html

I am not finding any info on whether slippery elm also has phytoestrogens.

I wish they would hurry up and figure out whether phytoestrogens are goodor bad for us ER+ patients. Most of the herbal teas I like are made from herbs with a high phytoestrogen content.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2013
    Options

Phxsunshine.....thank you for the info ...I was consuming all different kinds of mushrooms like shiitake .....but I will go back to consuming the white button mushrooms

that I ate anyway before BC....lol

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited January 2013
    Options

Been a while since I've been on this thread.  My DIL's mother has been diag with Stage IV, TNBC.  Not looking good and they are only recommending mild chemo because of her parkinsons.  So my DIL is looking into alternative treatments and found something called Escozine.  Does anyone here have any experience with it.  She is wanting feedback from someone who has tried it.

• fredntan
    edited January 2013
    Options

I havnt heard of it . But did you see paul stamots youtube video on turkey tail mushrooms? He runs Host mushroom suplements. Seems hecured his mother with these mushrooms. It was on a tedmed video.

I am going to be my own mushroom farmer now. Wish me luck

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

He runs Host mushroom suplements.

seems like  a conflict, no ?
    Here is what I found :
     But after a year of turkey tail mushroom supplement in addition to the standard drugs Taxol (paclitaxel) and Herceptin (trastuzumab), she had no detectable cancer.

Still, it's not clear that the mushrooms were the whole story. Turkey tail mushrooms may have some ability to boost the immune system, but there's so much unpredictability about cancer that it's hard to say how much they did on top of the standard medications, Hudler said

• fredntan
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • fredntan
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • fredntan
    edited January 2013
    Options

Oh i didnt know she had taxol and hercepton.

• Momine
    edited January 2013
    Options

Purple, that is my thinking too. I definitely think that all kinds of herbal rememdies, diet and exercise can help the body fight off the cancer and also help you stay as strong as possible when going through treatment, but I would not choose mushrooms, for example, instead of standard treatment.