Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• mellodylane
    mellodylane Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2009

Once a year we go camping in winter and there are allsorts of instruments, harps etc it is very bluegrass and I just love it around the fires, people just walk around during the day and join other camps to sit around and play then at night we have a big get together it is great when I go there I play mandolin, just a learner on that but still love to join in. You cant beat music for bringing people together and healing the soul. The harp is so beautiful you are very lucky to beable to play.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

Sukiann, what a nice article in the Andovah (as I say, being from MA and all where we don't have the letter "R" in our alphabet) newspaper. They should have shown some of your cookies!

Sue from MA

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2009

Thanks Sue.  Yes, we do have quite an accent around here, don't we??

FIL passed away yesterday.  This has NOT been a great year.  I'm hoping 2010 will be better for all of us. My husband is stressed to the max with work, my health problems and now his father's death.  This too shall pass. Sometimes I hate being an adult.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

Sukiann, condolences on the loss...........

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2009
    Sukiann, very sorry about your loss.
  • kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2009
    Sukiann:  sorry for the loss of your FIL.
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009
    Sukiann, condolences and prayers  to you, your DH and all family and friends. 
  • sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2009

Sukiann - sorry for your loss. Was he sick long? I lost my dad in 76 and mom in 86 and I still miss them so much. Prayers for your family. 

Fighting a cold with aches and pains and so miserable. Need to rest some more.

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2009

Sukiann:  I am sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL. Your family is in my thoughts.  Sometimes it just seems like nothing can go right...but things will turn around and sunshine will be upon you again!

• MariaG
    MariaG Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2009

Sukiann sorry to hear about your FIL.  You are in my prayers.

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Thanks everyone.  Bad year!!! STRESSSSSSSSS

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2009

So sorry for your loss. Blessings to you and your family..

• kpopperwell
    kpopperwell Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2009

Sukiann, condolences to you and your family.  I too just lost my father on Oct. 5.

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

So sorry kpopperwell.  Life is very difficult sometimes and wonderful other times.

Question about my hands.  I went to see onc. this past wednesday and I told him that my hands fall asleep, especially at night.  He said it is not from the arimidex.  Does anyone else have this?  I think it may be from the taxotere.  I'm going to look it up.  Both hands and sometimes my feet have this happen to them.  Not painful but annoying.  I wish I could feel good so I won't be reminded about what is/was going on in my body and I could be carefree (remember those days, a long, long time ago!).

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Kpopperwell - so sorry for your loss. 

Sukiann - haven't you learned by now that absolutely nothing is caused by Arimidex?  It is this wonderful tiny white wonder drug that has no se's!  I thought everyone knew that. 

Just kidding.  I'm certain I've read on this thread somewhere about limbs falling asleep, going numb at night and needing a little time in the morning to get back to normal (whatever "normal" is).

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2009

my hands fall asleep often at night...nurse at onc is very open about se she hears about from other patients. She told me she has heard that from other gals. Ii believe the DR. are afraid that we will all want to quit the meds if they agreed on all the ses. Strange how such a little pill has so much power.

I think I have a sinus infection...grab some of DH antibiotics to see if I can nip this in the bud. Unfortunately it has really knocked me for a loop and that is not normal for me. I do believe I am going to have to be very careful this cold and flu season. You would think with all the vitamins and supplements I am taking I wouldn't have to worry about it

Everyone have a great week

• KanRunMo
    KanRunMo Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2009

I have always taken Arimidex in the morning.  Were we supposed to take it at night?

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

I think it is totally optional as long as you take it at the same time each day.

Pam 

• ChrisC433
    edited October 2009

Sukiann:  My hands are the same way...feet too.  I have carpal tunnel that is  aggrivated by the Arimidex.  I am going on Celebrex to see if the imflammation goes down.  If not, I am trying Femara.  My hands hurt in the morning and if I don't keep them moving, they stiffen up during the day too.  Trying to cope, but it is quite annoying!

Kpopperwell...sorry for your recent loss as well.  

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

I really don't think that switching to another AI will make a difference.  I am wrong?  The problem is the lack of estrogen.  I read/heard that estrogen has anti-inflammatory properties so that is why our joints hurt.  All AI's do this so I don't think switching to another one will make a difference.  I almost would be worried if I switched and my joints DIDN'T hurt because I would think that it wasn't working right.  What do ya think??

Are we beating this subject to death????

• ChrisC433
    edited October 2009

My onc told me that there are suble differences in the AI's.  Your body can react differently to each one.  He also said that by going off it for a few weeks helps to restart the system and sometimes you don't get the same SE's!!

If I have to take one, I am willing to try anything.  Five years of this is too much to ask!

• coonie
    coonie Member Posts: 2,582
    edited October 2009
    Some days I just think I cannot take that little white pill that makes me feel so terrible. But.....I always take it. Guess I'll just take it a day at a time, and eventually my 5 years will be done!! I'm counting down to the last one!!! I actually think I'll be happier about that milestone than finishing up chemo. I'll be awfully disappointed if I don't start feeling better, losing weight, and being less grouchy once I'm done. <sigh>.....but I've still got a long way to goEmbarassed
  • carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2009

ChrisC, I developed some carpal tunnel symptoms after my BMX and a revision surgery a month later.  I immediately started doing simple hand exercises I got from a website.  I also bought some rubber balls used in PT and began using them.  At night I wore a brace on the right wrist.  The symptoms have gone away except for a little numbness in the hands in the morning when I wake up.  It goes away when I manipulate my fingers and hands as I lie in bed. 

I'm having some weight gain, too, but I'm not sure Arimidex is the culprit.  I went for blood work recently to make sure my thyroid function is normal.  I take synthroid for hypothyroidism.  If the report comes back that the thyroid function is fine, then I'll know I'm eating and drinking too much and need to be back on the WW wagon.Undecided

• nomorefear
    nomorefear Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2009

I am 5 years cancer free,   I was on Aromasin for the first year, then Arimidex for years 2-5.  Just stopped taking it about 6 months ago.  Experienced the sleeplessness, hot flashes,  joint pain and hair loss/thinning; not so much the first year or two, but definitely the last 3 years. I felt like I was about 90 yrs old at times!   I am starting to feel better with joint pain, but still have lots of sleeping problems and hair is not coming back - still thin.  Did anyone have memory problems while on the Arimidex?  It's getting better, but I still struggle with memory loss.   I wish I had know about this site 5 years ago.  The info you share is great.  Thank you. 

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2009

Just jumping on for a few. I have tried all three al's and went back to arimidex. I hurt less with it, beleive it or not. I have been taking celebrex for years and still have the pain. I do take 3 ibuprofen in the am and 3 at pm. Seems to help the joint pain and I do sleep. I take mine in the morning right after b'fast. Hope everyone is as well as can be expected. Rainy and gloomy day on the coast.

Patoo - what is normal???? Haven't been that way in a long time.

• KKing
    KKing Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2009

Hope you don't mind me asking you all a question.  I was trying to read a bunch but I may have missed this.  I was on tamox since Oct 08 then switched to Arimidex July 09.   Recently, I have been having a lot of back pain...feels like in my rib area not the spine.  Do any of you have this happening to you.  It has been ongoing for about a month...of course I am worried about the other possible reason.  Thanks for listening

Karen

• patoo
    edited October 2009
    KKing, sorry I can't really answer - I'm sure some will be along to give you guidance - but I know that anything lasting longer than 2 weeks needs med attention.  Please take care of yourself and get to the doctor.  I do understand the fear but going to the doc may actually relieve the stress of not knowing.  Please...
  • kpopperwell
    kpopperwell Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2009

I have RA and the rheumatologist stopped the meds for it as they thought there was a problem.  Well, there was no problem but they have not put me back on the RA meds.  I have had two severe bouts with my hands/wrists since then.  The left hand will burn like it is on fire and hurt like H*** but I just run it under really hot water and take tylenol and wait for it to stop.  Takes about 12 hrs then my hand is just really sore for a week.  I have to wear my split 24/7.  The right hand does not burn but hurts just like the left.  Do the same as for the left and wear the splint.  I have been lucky that this does not happen to both hands at the same  time.  I do see the RA Dr Thurs.  She did order a low dose steroid but I am really against taking it.  I want her to find some other treatment.  Looked on the internet and found an herbal treatment.  So far, as long as I remember to take it it seems like it may be helping some.  Have been really tired these last two weeks and every joint is stiff.  Oh well, only have 3.5 years left on the Arimidex.  I just refilled it and since I have good ins it cost $15 for 3 months.  It showed that the retail was $1208.  Last refill it was $990.  This does not seem fair that they make it so expensive and some people can't afford it.  No cancer patient should have to worry about the cost of any treatment.  I really frosts me that this goes on.

Thanks for letting me vent.Laughing

• kamico3
    kamico3 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2009

I also have had some problems with numbness in my hands on the arimidex. My skin is also extremely dry...  does anyone know if this could be a side effect, too? My joints are also achy and it takes me a few minutes in the morning to loosen up so that I can walk normally. I now have trigger finger in both of my thumbs (I got it back in the first thumb about two months after I had the cortisone shot, but it isn't as bad as it first was) and one of my middle fingers. When I wake up in the morning I can't bend either of my thumbs and sometimes the middle finger, too, but it seems like after I'm up for a while they loosen up and then I can bend them most of the rest of the day (sometimes they start "catching" again for some unknown reason!) but it still hurts to bend them. Oh well, as long as I can use my thumbs for most of the day I will be satisfied, I guess.

• joyjohn
    joyjohn Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    I have been taking arimidex generic (anastrozole). I don't have sleep problems. Only thing is that you should not take medications that interact with arimidex which increases the intensity of arimidex's side effects. You can find the list of drugs that  interact at International Drug Mart