Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2009

Although I am aware of the "cave man" diet which is interesting to read about, I do believe in its merits. Just hard to totally follow including get rid of all grains and milk in diets. I try to take a more relaxed approach and cut back on those products and increase the fruits, veggies and fish. I don't eat much meat. I just don't like it. I love all fish and do eat some chicken and some pork. One thing I have done is cut out all packaged foods including cereals, crackers, and general junk. And another thing: it sure helps keep the weight down.

• lisalisa
    lisalisa Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2009

I had my brain MRI early this morning.  It's 2ish here and I just heard back from my doctor.   NO METS.  I simply have a horrible sinus infection and a reaction to the augmentin I'm on.

Thank God!  I'm so glad my oncologist took my worries seriously (I never have headaches and this has last a full week!)  She got me in for my MRI the very next morning and didn't leave me hanging.

I'm sending her flowers on Monday when she's back in the office (all of this happened when she was out of town!)

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2009

Great news, Lisa!  I'm glad for you.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2009

Wonderful news, Lisa. Enjoy the weekend now.

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2009

Yahoo Lisa!!!!  So glad to hear the good news!

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2009

Lisa, WHEW!!!!    that's a huge relief.   Been thinking about and praying for you all day!  Maybe that sinus infection is a blessing in disguise -- now you know for sure what you don't have -- and don't have to worry about!    Hope you are feeling better soon.

sunflowers:  what Vit D level are you aining for?  

JO-5:  I'll try to find the research on "20 years" and post it here. 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009

Lisa, that's great news.  We can always use good news here so thanks for sharing.

Lots of you wonderful ladies have shared much info and I'm too darn tired to even scroll back on this page, much less a previous page so I just want to say thanks for all that you have brought to our attention.  I'm really bad about my diet but move closer and closer to doing better with each and every one of your posts.  Thanks and please keep them coming.  I value each of you.

JO, we continue to be twins.  Ortho doc gave me cortisone shot in the knee today and warned me the knee would get worse before it starts to improve.  He was right and I'm now nearly unable to walk on it at all.  Had to get out my mom's cane.  Will be glad when the anti-inflammatory kicks in because it hurts (I have zero tolerance for pain).  <  sigh  >

• ruthe245
    ruthe245 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2009

First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone on this discussion board for getting me through the first three months of taking Arimidex.  I was very depressed for about 2 1/2 months when I started taking it but the depression has slowly subsided.  Between that and all the other side effects I had from this little white pill, I was really ready to quit taking it until I found this discussion board and started reading everything all of you had to say about it.

At this point, the main problems I have are insomnia and joint pain. Two days ago, I started taking the Arimidex at night before I go to bed to see if that helps with the insomnia.  So far I haven't seen a change but am going to continue taking it at night just in case it makes a difference.

I did find out this week that my bone density has worsened and my doctor prescribed Fosamax for me.  I know I have seen some of you discussing Fosamax but haven't been able to find those discussions.  I just don't want to be on anything else that is going to cause me to have a lot of side effects again, so can any of you that have taken Fosamax tell me anything about it?  I just had a friend tell me that she's been on Boniva for the past year and hasn't had any side effects from that.  Anything anyone can tell me about their experiences taking Fosamax or Boniva would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Ruth

• carolehalston
    edited October 2009

Ruth, have you tried taking melatonin to help with the insomnia?  I took benedryl for a long time but recently my nurse sil rcommended melatonin.  I bought the 3 mg tablets and have been cutting them in two.  You can google melatonin and read about it. 

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2009

Ruth,

I take Boniva -- the "Sally Field" drug -- She takes 150 mg once per month.  I take 50mg daily as part of a clinical trial.  I have no side effects from it and that is typical.   I, too, have some aches from Arimidex - i take glucosamine/chondroitin daily, tylenol arthritis in the morning and try to walk/exercise every day.  I started yoga this week and that feels wonderful - to gently stretch.   I, too, have insomnia sometimes and interrupted sleep -- I use Ambien a couple times a week, just to get a good night sleep once in a while.  Sleep deprivation can sure accentuate/lead to depression. Some ladies take effexor for depression. Some say boosting your vitamin D helps. Some believe in exercise or meditation.   Getting a few nights of quality sleep per week really helps me...even if it has to be "drug- induced".   

And, i have resigned myself to the fact that until my body recovers fully from the assaults (surgeries, chemo, rads) of this past year, i am entitled to take care of myself and not be the over-acheiver of my former life....  Should have realized that years ago!

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Carole, do you take the melatonin every night or only when you feel you need it?  The one se that worries me is the narrowing of arteries as that can lead to a stroke(?)  I was taking a tylenol pm occasionally but have not needed it this week because I've been sooooooooo tired. 

Ruth, see if taking the Arimidex at night helps.  I was having insomnia 3-4 times a week and I also take the Arimidex at night.  Since it was only occasional insomnia I wasn't attributing it to Arimidex; not to say it wasn't the cause though.  I've seen others recommend melantonin but since you are just starting the Fosamax it might be best to not introduce another med until you know what se's that may, if any, cause.  Have you googled to find the se's of Fosamax?

• O3132W
    O3132W Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2009

Ruthie:  I had a bone density test in 2001 and found that I had osteopenia.  My doc put me on Fosamax (one pill a week) since then.  I have never had that first se.  I choose to take my dose every Monday morning. 

Dx with bc, surgery June 30, 2009, followed with 16 treatments of Radiation.  Now put on Arimidex, started two weeks ago.  So far no se.

Two weeks ago I had my second bone density test and the results show that my bones show an improvement of 11%.  I attribute this improvement to Fosamax  Incidentally, about a year ago they started a generic for Fosamax which costs less.  I take the generic.  Good luck

• hrf
    edited October 2009

I also took once a week Fosamax for osteopenia starting in 2000 and had no side effects. I'm on Arimidex now and will be starting Zometa next week.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2009

Question for those of you taking Arimidex.  I currently take tamoxifen, which has taken away some of my libido on top of what going through menopause had already started doing to me with the reduced hormone levels.  Now I've figured out that what my body may be low in is testosterone due to the symptoms that I'm having.

Since testosterone converts to estrogen through the help of the aromatase enzyme, I'm wondering what happens when that estrogen is not created due to the Aromatase inhibitor.  Does that leave your body with extra testosterone floating around?  Have any of you noticed that because of testosterone, that you have a good sex drive and responsivenss to stimulation, even though the low estrogen induced vaginal dryness may make it difficult to follow through?

• carolehalston
    edited October 2009

Patoo, I've been taking the melatonin every night, 1.5 mg.  Just started taking it less than 2 wks ago.  The research I read didn't mention narrowing of the arteries.  In fact, none of the studies mentioned any SEs.  All of them studied the effectiveness for sleep and for jet lag.  No studies have been done yet about long-term use.  In Great Britain and the European countries, melatonin is not sold over the counter.  Only by prescription.  Some drs. don't like the idea of taking a hormone without more studies. 

The dosage sold commercially here in the US is much greater than the amt. of melatonin produced by our bodies.  The studies used small amts, too.  Supplements are not regulated by  the Food & Drug Admin. so when we buy melatonin, Fish Oil caps, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, whatever, we're taking the manufacturers word that the ingredients are accurated described. 

In some cases, people in studies took the melatonin for 2 or 3 wks, then stopped and their bodies started producing the hormone.  Possibly the supplement jolted the pineal gland into working again.  I'm planning to stop after 3 wks and see if I continue to sleep well.  There's always the placebo effect to factor in.

But I have been sleeping very well.Smile

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Hi Carole, I googled it after your post and clicked on the WebMD link.  They report one of the se's could be "changes in blood vessels that could affect blood flow" (sorry I misspoke with the narrowing of arteries before).  Have no idea about the accuracy - was just interested.

Here's the link:  http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview 

I think that if it works to improve sleep after 2-3 weeks then sounds great.  QOL.

• patoo
    edited October 2009
    Rgiuff, sorry no one has commented on your post yet.  I think your question is interesting but I'm single and don't indulge so can't help with your question.  Hopefully others will be along although people do tend to post less on weekends. 
  • Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Rgiuff, I've been taking arimidex since the end of July and I have to tell you that it has dramatically effected my libibo.  I don't think it increases your testerone in the way that helps with increasing your drive.  In fact the only effect that the testosterone has had with me is an increase of hair on my chinny chin chin!  :(  anyone else????

• vashti55
    vashti55 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2009

Rgiuff, I have been on Arimidex for 14 months and I have a lower sex drive.  When the urge is present, the dryness is a challenge.  Hang in there and be encouraged.  Best wishes.

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2009

Today I really lost it. Usually I am a happy non complaining gal..but I found myself in the company of some ladies(Iuse the term loosely) that are in their 40's (I am 59) none of them have as much as experienced a hot flash. I was not having a good day anyway but was trying to keep the ole stiff upper lip and not complain about my Arimidex problems and maybe for a while I would forget them. Then I had the hot flash from hell...in other words a power surge to light the world. I excused myself to get some air. When I returned one of the younguns asked me what was wrong. I told her and then had to explain it was a se from some medication. Someone told me I should eat soy.  I then told them I had been through breast cancer surgery and treatment and could no longer have soy.  One of the gals said since I didnot have to go through chemo it must have been a piece of cake. I asked her what she wanted to see first the scar where they removed half of my breast or the scars from the radiation burns.

I hurt so bad today from the little white pill that is keeping the estogen out of my body that today My hips hardly would move. Could have been the Arimidex talking. 

I read the posts from everyone and know I am amoung friends and have learned so much from all of you. I needed a glass of wine and some time in the hot tub...then I was better. Four and half more years of this will truly be a test of character and good old fashion toughness but if it continues to work for 20 years I can do it.

My love to all...each and everyoone of you are in my prayers. We can do this gals. Hugs and Kisses.   mersmom

• hrf
    edited October 2009
    mersmom, good thing you can come here to vent and to know you will be understood.
  • pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

Dear Mersmom,

I hope I was never as clueless and insensitive as so many young people we encounter.  It does seem that if I stick with my own age group (early 60s and up) we have learned life throws some odd balls at us.  We might not totally understand but we are wise enough to know we do not know everything!  There is some kind of middle eastern wisdom that says a person has to offer a gift three times before you can accept it.  I have applied that to what I tell people... they have to ask three times before I believe they really want to know.  VERY few people really want to know :(

I partly, mainly blame the press and public relation releases, yes, even from the American Cancer Society and others, who spill out statements filled  with words like "cured" and "cancer-free."  Dear Maggie Smith, the actress, was declared cured in 2008 and now I read she is just trying to hang on long enough to finish the current Harry Potter sequel.  I feel like if I try to educate casual inquisitors to the lifelong battle, even for someone like me with great initial prognosis, they think I am being melodramatic.   

Enough of my Sunday morning rant.  Maybe you gave them a small bit of insight.  Let's hope.

Pam 

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009
    mersmom, I hear ya loud and clear.  Everyone thinks we are past the worst of the cancer (and in some ways we are) with being done with treatment but the little white pill is horrible.  I had a VERY bad night last night.  My fibro was acting up and my hands and feet were pins and needles all night long.  Add in the hot flashes and you get no rest.  Nobody understands like we do.  That's why we are here.  Ready to validate your feelings and give you support.  We know we have to continue on with this (or at least one of the AI's).  I told my husband that I could forget about the cancer and not dwell on it coming back if I felt ok.  But I don't.  When I ache - which is frequently it just reminds me of the cancer.  I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard when you hurt!  Hang in there Mersmom and all the other ladies.  We are all in this together.  Kiss
  • lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited October 2009

Hello my friends.  Just took the white pill.  My hands are so stiff and had a rough night with the pain and stiffness.  I worry that the pain in my legs is bone mets.  Thank God we have each other!  In sisterhood, xo

• Blarney1828
    Blarney1828 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2009

I have to wonder if sinus infections accompany Arimidex as I have had 3 terrible ones since being on it. Anyone else experience this?

• ruthe245
    edited October 2009

sunflowers - What is a Neti Pot?  I've had daily sinus problems for years with sinus infections occurring once or twice a year and have treated myself occasionally with flushing my sinuses with water mixed with baking soda and salt, but I have never heard of a Neti Pot?  I have daily sinus headaches so would appreciate knowing about something else that would help relieve my sinus problems.  As far as finding that my sinus problems are worse since I'm on Arimidex, I haven't seen a difference.

By the way, I do get a yearly flu shot and find that I don't get sinus infections as often as I did in the past.  Anyone with chronic sinus infections might want to try getting a flu shot every year.  At this point, we all need to be a healthy as we possibly can be anyway! 

• ruthe245
    edited October 2009

Any other opinions about Fosamax and Boniva would really be appreciated.  The onocologist told me that Fosamax could cause me to have dental and jaw problems.  Has anyone heard of this or experienced it or are there any other possible bad side effects that I should be aware of?  Thanks for your imput.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2009

Sukiann and Vashti, were either of you premenopausal and then somehow put into menopause so that you could take the arimidex?  Because removing or shutting down the ovaries could have reduced your sex drives.  Or were you both already postmenopausal?  My Onc has mentioned switching me over to an AI but it's been only 7 months with no period and from what I'm reading, I don't think I have any desire to switch.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

Ruthe, I have seen info on this site re: jaw problems. Check out this site:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fosamax/AN01379

Edited to add: I think the neti pot is like a tiny tea pot that you put medication or salt water in and irrigate your sinuses with. Supposed to be very effective! Not sure if it is called neti pot, however.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

Ruthe, I found info on the neti pot. I do hear they are quite effective.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots