Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2009

Sunflowers:  Astrozole (?) is the drug name, Arimidex is the brand name.

• rosemarie1956
    rosemarie1956 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2009

I took Arimidex for 11 months and recently stopped it. I was having unbearable joint pain and felt like I was 90 years old. My joints feel so much better now but my doctor still doesn't know.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009

Rosemarie, did you try supplements to help ease the joint pain?  JO is right and you should really let your doc know what's going on and insist he/she work with you to find something you can live with.

• vashti55
    vashti55 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2009

Karen

I have not experienced the back pain in the rib area since being on Arimidex.  Please get it checked out so that you can have peace of mind. 

Ladies, While reviewing my receipt for Arimidex, it has Anastrozole listed as the generic name and Arimidex is listed as the drug name.  I paid 30.00 for a 90 day supply of brand name (Arimidex) and the insurance company paid 785.00.

• Biker54
    Biker54 Member Posts: 1,042
    edited October 2009

Hi ladies! 

I've been reading some of your posts and I had to share my experiences on Arimidex.  I have terrible joint pain that my onc pretty much told me was just a result of getting older.  Overnight?????  As time has gone on, he has finally admitted that the joint pain is a definate SE.  Someone earlier said that the docs don't want to tell you this because you wouldn't want to take it.  I totally agree!!

I also had trigger thumbs, to the point I had to have surgery on both, to release the tendons.  Cortisone shots didn't help.  Also, numb hands in the morning.  I had an EMG test done, and I now have carpal tunnel.  If you are bothered by this, I found that wearing wrist braces at night really helps.

The hot flashes and night sweats gradually got a little more bearable, but I still can't sleep.  Sometimes I wonder how I get through the day on so little sleep.  I think that plays a major role in depression, memory loss and weight gain.

Now here's the kicker.  I have been on Arimidex for 5 years now.  I saw my onc last week and told him that although I hate the drug, I'm afraid to go off of it.  Because of the size of my tumor and the fact that I had 7 positive nodes, he thinks that I am high risk, so he agreed with me.  But, he wants to switch me to Aromasin.  He says that it can have less body and joint issues than Arimidex.  Who knows?  I always said that I couldn't wait to get off this darned Arimidex and here I am scared to death to stop.

I completely sympathize with all of you having SEs.  It's no fun.  The longer this drug is in use, the more the docs will have to admit that there definately are SE, as more and more women will report having them.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2009

Hi all, I was just taking a siesta...I finished with arimidex three years ago now and

I still get some aches and pains in the afternoon that I had while I was on it..not

as strong but in the same places...anyone else?

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2009

I just started back on my anastrozole (the main ingredient in Arimidex) today.  But prior to stopping it and to switching to Femara for a while, my onc was aware that I took the "generic" form because of cost.  I'm on Medicare Part D and it would cost me an additional $2,800 per year if I went with the name brand.  Recently, there was some hope that Arimidex would go off patent sometime this summer and the cost would drop significantly.  But last I read, that is not to be.  So, I'm sticking with the anastrozole.  My onc is comfortable with my decision and so am I. 

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2009

JO:  That is the way that I understand it...Anastrozole is the drug, Arimidex is the brand name.  Just like Acetaminophen is the drug and Tylenol is the brand name.  I don't understand where the "generic" term is coming from either.  I was told there is NO generic that is why it is so expensive.

• DENTHOMAS
    DENTHOMAS Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2009

There is a generic available in Canada.

• patoo
    edited October 2009

From Canada website:

Anastrozole-Generic and Arimidex-Astrazenica so I wonder if the "generic" is not from Canada at all but a knock-off from overseas?  This particular seller clearly distinguises Arimidex from Anastrozole in the description but then also makes them sound to be one and the same - even the logo shows them to be the same.  Don't think I would be comfortable buying from them especially when Astrazenica still holds the patent.  JMHO

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2009

I'm in Canada and there is no generic available here. People are saying that they are buying generic from websites but I certainly would not trust those sites. Every drug has 2 names - there is the name brand and there is the drug name. I buy Arimidex and it says that it is anastrozole. Hopefully, the patent will come off next year and the generic will become available (i.e. meaning other drug companies can make it) so that the price goes down. At this point I guess AstaZenica is still getting the return on their reseach investment.

• debdownunder
    debdownunder Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2009

Hi All

know how you feel - 5 years since dbl mastec  (my choice) but next mth 5 years on arimidex and I also am scare stiff of coming off it.  I had HER2 pos on low grade tumour,  not a common combination I've been told so I cant find much on what is best and the onco isn't sure either,  I have had the joint pain, weight gain, sleepless nights,  dizziness, really bad memory, I live alone so I my mood changes didn't bother me  (bonus) and ceiling fans cools night sweats.  trying to find out more info on anything I guess I am trying to take the fear away of being cut free - silly thing is that for 4 years no contact with onco's  I lived completely confidient that when the girls went the cancer went (I figured no gardens no weeds could grow)  now I at the five years mark I should feel great but I have a constant fear and dread , guess it is normal

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2009

There is a generic available in Europe and I am on it. I was on Arimidex until the new brand came out and everyone in my country at my oncology center is taking the generic now. I believe the pharmaceutical company originates in Australia.

• mcgaffey
    edited October 2009

I was kind of curious about the product with all this discussion and I guess I live in the only place on the planet where patents are expired or never were in the first place? The company will begin exporting to western europe in 2010 when patents expire there. The company is Greek not Australian but they export to Australia and have been inspected by the Australian medical authorities.

• debdownunder
    debdownunder Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2009

Hi ladies,  I am in australia and I checked with local pharmacy and there is no generic available here yet maybe in years to come  -  Arimidex it costs about $35.oo aus for 1 month

• mcgaffey
    edited October 2009

Maybe patents need to expire in Australia as well for this product. 

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

Here is info on Astra Zeneca. From what I hear in the US, there is no generic for Arimidex.

AstraZeneca is a global healthcare company committed to enhancing patient health. We are more than 66 thousand employees’ worldwide, working hard each day to make healthcare a more positive experience for individuals, families and communities.

AstraZeneca's US headquarters is located in Wilmington, Delaware, close to Philadelphia, New York City and Washington, D.C.

US Corporate Headquarters  
    AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
    1800 Concord Pike
    P.O. Box 15437
    Wilmington, DE 19850-5437
    Phone: 1-302-886-3000
    Phone: 1-800-456-3669

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    edited October 2009

Hi debdownunder..

Sending you a Private Message.

hugs

jezza

• Kendrasue
    Kendrasue Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2009

Hello,

Happily, I've just found this thread, and would like to join in.  I was here when I was first diagnosed, and quite frankly all the kind caring and support is what got me through the shocks of it all.  And, all the best information from everyone, helping me to make my own decisions. 

Now, five years later, I'm getting ready to take my last Arimidex pill on Saturday--Halloween!  

So, yes, I'm thrilled, and I'm frightened, too.  How can someone be both??  I've been reading a lot of posts here, and have a lot more to go, but already I'm learning what I may expect when I stop.  I did stop for one month, about 2 years ago, to prove that the agony in my hands and wrists were due to Arimidex.  My oncologist refused to address side effects.  At that time, the only side effects I experienced were good ones.  I'm trying to have a positive attitude, and wonder if anyone can give me a few tips on how to stay calm, cool, and collected.  

I'm very happy to be back, here.

~ Kendra

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2009

Debdownunder and myself have our scripts subsidised by the Aus gov't.  I tried to get my first script filled at a pharmacy and, apart from the fact that they just don't carry those types of meds, they would charge much the same price as you pay in the U.S., probably close to $500 per month for A'dex and Bonefos.

Sheila.

Edited to add:-   We/I go to the local gov't hospital pharmacy for our meds.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2009

Just got a report on my recent bloodwork.  My total cholesterol is up since my annual visit to my PCP in mid April, and it was high then.  My PCP looks mainly at the ratio between LDL and HDL and that was within the normal range.  Still I would like to get the total cholesterol lower. 

The nurse, who called to tell me the results, explained that all the SEs listed for a medication are not necessarily common SEs.  When the drug is being tested, every single health abnormality that occurs with the people in the test must be listed as a possible SE.  For example, if one person experienced a heart attack, that would have to be included as SE. 

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2009

I was taking ibuprofen then came down with a cold and quit taking it. The pains came back so now I am off the cold meds and back on the ibuprofen and hopefully less pain and better health. Everyone have a great day.

• Schoen
    Schoen Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2009

I am so glad I looked at this discussion. I have been on Arimidex fo a little over a year. My onc told me there really wouldn't be any great side effects and that I would probably be on this for the rest of my life. I was diagnosed at the age of 45 and was very active. I have gained almost 20 lbs since I started taking Arimidex and my onc just told me the other day that weight gain was a side effect. Bummer. I work out at the gym 4-5 days a week and eat well....I didn't understand how the lbs kept creeping on. Not to mention joint pain and hot flashes. I know going off Arimidex is not an option, but I am also glad to know that these symptoms are my imagination.

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2009

I'm back on Arimidex and expect that the SE I had before my three vacation will return shortly.  However, I want to comment on the fact that it seems the majority of oncs including their PA's are not straight up with many of us about the side effects of AI's.  I was told that it's just like taking a vitamin every morning and that the majority of women tolerate it quite well.  So, when my SE's kicked in, I thought I was a hypochondriac and behaving like a baby.  I would rather someone be straight up with me. I do believe that knowledge is power and the more you know, the more you understand, and the better you can cope.  I finally told my oncologist and the PA that I would prefer they be straight forward with me and respect my need to know.  They have done so ever since, and I appreciate it.  Thanks for listening. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

On the two visits I've had with my onc since I started Arimidex, both times, she has asked me if i am having mood swings with the drug.  Not a problem for me so far.  But my pinkie finger is sssooo sore for no reason.  Blame it on Arimidex!

Pam 

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited October 2009

hello my armidex friends,

i have been on for months now and the joints seem to be easing up.  Also haven't had a hot flash in a while.  hands still stiff though.  I keep thinking of how that little white pill is keeping the beast away!

In sisterhood, xo

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2009

JO-5 This is the first cold I have had in  years. Hope it isn't the first of many. Sinuses haven't been given me too much trouble. I have been off of the allergy pills for over a year now too.

Started vit C today and hope it makes me feel better. I can't handle anymore aches or pains. But it beats the alternative.

• Biker54
    Biker54 Member Posts: 1,042
    edited October 2009

JO, I understand your reluctance to go off of Arimidex.  You made the best decision for you.  Me?  I'm scared witless about a recurrance.  I just lost a very close friend to mets and it has me very frightened.  I will try Aromasin for a few months.  If the SEs are not much better, I will probably stop it.  I am so afraid my cancer will return if I stop the AIs.  Or maybe I will decide to bite the bullet and put up with the SEs.  Who knows?

• patoo
    edited October 2009

My se's (joints, flashes, fatigue) are mild, so far, so I can certainly tolerate them.

I certainly understand the fear and I will be there in 4-1/2 years.  My question is what happens after you go off that little white pill?  Does the body just no longer produce estrogen and can't any longer so we don't have to suppress it?  What is the thinking behind 5 or 7 (I've heard that too) years?  Just wondering.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

So... I've got this in my head and can't stop humming it:

Sung to the tune of THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT

Arimidex Arimidex Arimidex Arimidex Arimidex Arimidex Arimidex Arimidex

In the struggle with the white bottle

the cap is on too tight

My fingers are stiff, I'm in a mad tiff

and I can't sleep tonight. 

My body's baking, my bones are aching,

my BP's gone sky high.

The hair is thinning, the  fat is winning

but doctors wouldn't lie.

Cut out the cold beer and trust the drug, dear.

Keep up the daily fight.

Ignore the bone loss and feeling real cross

cause cancer sleeps tonight!